Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, my problem is my minor league managers don't seem to give any fucks. I've got a dude in rookie ball I set to force as a starter and he now has 4 appearances in relief and 0 starts.

Have you released all the starters that you never want to actually start?

I've found you really, really, really have to cull the minor leagues on a regular basis manually, because otherwise you will end up with a 31-year old AAA starter who has just kept going long after he's reached uselessness. Force AAA starters to be relievers if they're not ML quality after say 27. Chances are they're a lifer if they're not ML quality.

Only keep 5 starters at each minor league level, or rather keep a quantity that equals 5 per level per minor league affiliate. Too many and some weird CPU math screws things up, your guys don't end up progressing and it ruins your minor leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, my problem is my minor league managers don't seem to give any fucks. I've got a dude in rookie ball I set to force as a starter and he now has 4 appearances in relief and 0 starts.
So what you're saying is that Art Howe is managing in your minor league system.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Prisoner posted:

So what you're saying is that Art Howe is managing in your minor league system.

well played :golfclap:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Telex posted:

Have you released all the starters that you never want to actually start?

I've found you really, really, really have to cull the minor leagues on a regular basis manually, because otherwise you will end up with a 31-year old AAA starter who has just kept going long after he's reached uselessness. Force AAA starters to be relievers if they're not ML quality after say 27. Chances are they're a lifer if they're not ML quality.

Only keep 5 starters at each minor league level, or rather keep a quantity that equals 5 per level per minor league affiliate. Too many and some weird CPU math screws things up, your guys don't end up progressing and it ruins your minor leagues.

Yeah, it was completely bizarre. Another good one is that I just found that my rookie-league 3B (forced start at 3B) wasn't getting any play time. Well, who's playing third? Oh, it's my rookie-league SS (forced start at SS). But then...who the gently caress is starting at short?! Naturally it's my top prospect, a right fielder; I checked and all his infield skills are 1. And yes, he's forced start at RF.
:negative:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Turning AI trading to easy makes it do pretty ridiculous things. I traded a half-star (four star potential) minor league SS for Bryce Harper (2.5 star 5 star potential,) then turned around and traded him on the same day for a 4 star, 5 star potential SS that is only 22.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I've played two separate games of OOTP11, one with the Pirate and one with the Orioles. The Pirates one went for 20 years and I'm in the sixth year of the Orioles. Without fail, in both games, Pable Sandoval becomes a god at hitting, and it frustrates me and makes me irrationally upset. His career line is always like .370/.460/.600 and I get upset looking at it.

Also, is there a way to sim the game from like 1900 onwards without being in control of a team. I tried to do it before but had to take control of a team and was fired and hired and got messages that interrupted the game. I just want to run it and see what hilarious stuff happens.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Create a manager and select commissioner mode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or, create a game and go on holiday and make sure that nothing will "bring you back from holiday"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Am I missing something when it comes to generating player pictures? I can do it for individual players but if I try to do it for everyone from the setup screen it just gives everyone a picture of the team logo.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
OOTP12 is just :20bux: until Oct 27th to celebrate the World Series. Welp, wasn't planning to buy it but I can't resist now

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Allyn posted:

OOTP12 is just :20bux: until Oct 27th to celebrate the World Series. Welp, wasn't planning to buy it but I can't resist now

Ya, I'm in the same boat. Just got that email.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't compare it to 11 because I never got into it, but I really love 12. I'm 3 seasons in and I've only actually watched one game, game 7 of a world series I lead the Reds to. It'd be cool if my rear end in a top hat owner would stop taking as much as 23million out of my surplus at the end of the season though. Then
getting angry when we hit a bit of a slump the next season.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Any advice to make the game more difficult to play? In 11, I won like 12 of 15 WS with the Pirates at normal and I just won 3 straight with Baltimore after 3 years of suck. I just bought 12 because 20 bucks why not, but it seems to have the same terribly trade system where I can get prospects for bullshit. I traded Bill Hall and Wandy Rodriguez for every prospect in CWS with more than 20 potential. It's just not hard after a few seasons.

Also, if there is still an online league, I'd be down to play. Goons are smarter than computers.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

uggy posted:

Any advice to make the game more difficult to play? In 11, I won like 12 of 15 WS with the Pirates at normal and I just won 3 straight with Baltimore after 3 years of suck. I just bought 12 because 20 bucks why not, but it seems to have the same terribly trade system where I can get prospects for bullshit. I traded Bill Hall and Wandy Rodriguez for every prospect in CWS with more than 20 potential. It's just not hard after a few seasons.

Also, if there is still an online league, I'd be down to play. Goons are smarter than computers.

Unless I've missed something, Toona's league still has several AI teams, though only one of them (the Tigers) is particularly good. I'm still new, so I can't speak for the league, but it seems like we could really use someone in the NL West to compete with the D-backs: both the Rockies and Dodgers are open, and the AI is mismanaging them pretty bad.

Anyway, it's a fun league and you should join. You can even give me poo poo for being the Yankees and constantly being like "what, it's just a few million dollars, who gives a gently caress?" :v:

Also, is the upgrade from OOTP11 to 12 worth :20bux:?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
So that league is OOTP11, yes?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

uggy posted:

So that league is OOTP11, yes?

Yeah.

e: The Reds are also available, but then you have to deal with the juggernaut Pittsburgh Pirates.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 18, 2011

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Mornacale posted:

Yeah.

e: The Reds are also available, but then you have to deal with the juggernaut Pittsburgh Pirates.

I'll do it.

Give me the reds, how do I do this.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Cincinnati is actually not open. Right now, Detroit, LA, and Colorado are open.

http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I guess I'd take Colorado.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'll trade you some True Yankees and cash for your first-round pick in 2018!!!

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
My computer is a piece of poo poo. Struggles to play games from 2008. Should I buy OOTP 12 or 7? Never played it before and bad graphics don't bother me.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't imagine many computers would have trouble with OOTP; there aren't really graphics as much as tons of spreadsheets and menus. The only thing that would change would be the time between days. I'm pretty sure there's a demo you can try to see if your computer can go through the turns acceptably fast.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I wonder if my mac-mini 8gb ram, 2.0ghz processor will be A-OK to run it.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Tried out the demo and this game seems like it would be way too addicting. Think I'll have to pass on it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Private Snowball posted:

Tried out the demo and this game seems like it would be way too addicting. Think I'll have to pass on it.

Whatever do you mean?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Tadashi how does it feel to do all that and still be unable to surmount the New York Yankees Baseball Dynasty? :smug:

e: This post gonna get quoted back at me on Monday.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

uggy posted:

I guess I'd take Colorado.

Did you get my PM? :confused:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Okay in my game the Mets signed Heath Bell, Papelbon, and K-Rod all within a span of about two weeks. What is one team going to do with three closers?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jetgrindeggy posted:

Okay in my game the Mets signed Heath Bell, Papelbon, and K-Rod all within a span of about two weeks. What is one team going to do with three closers?

Be really hard to beat if they take a lead into the 7th?

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
Closers gonna start, starters gonna close.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mr.Showtime posted:

Closers gonna start, starters gonna close.

I have never seen starters close, but oh god I have seen way too many relievers start over actual starters and it's like whyyyyyyyyyy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Teams will just keep signing guys until their perceived needs are filled, so they will pour money into the bullpen if its their weakest link even if it means not having enough money to get a second baseman.

Also, I should have submitted my online OOTP resume for consideration for the Orioles GM job.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 7, 2011

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Pirates in the lead of the division, Lincecum on the D-backs, Wieters on the Pirates... your league is the devil

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Also the Blue Jays moved to Alaska and apparently it's the greatest pitcher's park ever made, dang

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Daniel Fields being the top power hitter in the AL is the best part of that image

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Patrick Roy being the saves leader and Justin Morneau being 2nd in RBIs on the BoSox with Ian Kinsler.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

For the full report.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

wow, who's the fuckhead who absolutely decimated St. Louis?

I mean wow, 57 million in one season for Evan Longoria? Really?

Whoever you are, you are bad at OOTP. :(

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I will pass this along.

I commmish the league and own Pittsburgh. :)

(ask tadashi how he gave me Wieters for a handful of magic beans :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Love Abdul bin Sajid's nickname :allears:

• Locked thread