Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They could've use basically any other term and it been fine. Hell, call them Seismic charges and had them go and grab an asteroid and then blow it up and it would've been cool. But no. Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Hey, how about a Star Wars question up in this thread?

So the Yuzon Vong came from another galaxy? They actually traveled the distance between two galaxies to invade the Star Wars galaxy? Wouldn't the titanic accumulation and expenditure of resources that would take more easily be used to fix whatever's wrong with the galaxy you're in? Hell, wouldn't you have time to evolve a few genetic adaptations to whatever's ailing you in the time it takes to get there? Is my incredulity coming across in these questions?

Douglas Adams posted:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
You're asking that in a universe where you have to keep your engines on and pointed away from your destination to keep going forwards in space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

So the Yuzon Vong came from another galaxy? They actually traveled the distance between two galaxies to invade the Star Wars galaxy? Wouldn't the titanic accumulation and expenditure of resources that would take more easily be used to fix whatever's wrong with the galaxy you're in? Hell, wouldn't you have time to evolve a few genetic adaptations to whatever's ailing you in the time it takes to get there? Is my incredulity coming across in these questions?

This is a species that have loving black hole shields and volcano cannons. I'm pretty sure that is the least of your problems.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Douche Bag posted:

Can I get some opinions on the Phantom Edit? Does it make TPM watchable?
Only somewhat. It dulls the pointy bits (Jar Jar and Anakin) and irons out a few wrinkles and so on, but there's only so much you can restructure with a finished film as you lack the full takes or a wider choices of cuts to borrow from.
There's still gaping holes of logic in the story that would require huge rewrites to fix.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Yuuzhan Vong backstory/explanation is that their :airquote: sentient homeworld stripped :airquote: their connection to the Force-at-large before they killed it in their zealotry and hatred, so they became this :airquote: galaxy-spanning plague that gloried in murder and slavery and pain and suffering. They wiped their entire home galaxy clean and spread out in a :airquote: diaspora of death.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

arioch posted:

The Yuuzhan Vong backstory/explanation is that their :airquote: sentient homeworld stripped :airquote: their connection to the Force-at-large before they killed it in their zealotry and hatred, so they became this :airquote: galaxy-spanning plague that gloried in murder and slavery and pain and suffering. They wiped their entire home galaxy clean and spread out in a :airquote: diaspora of death.

When I was in High School and first heard about the Vong as these bad rear end jedi killing monsters with their tech entirely biological, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Reading this and other posts about them though I am kinda glad I never read the books.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I read the 2 by Allston and the second half of the final book, then skimmed the wiki a year later and realized that I'd missed absolutely nothing of value.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Our galaxy is about a hundred thousand light years from one side to the other. The distance to the Andromeda galaxy (the nearest big one) is about two and a half million light years. If Star Wars hyperdrives can put a spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other in days, the question is really more like why isn't there lots of intergalactic travel?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Our galaxy is about a hundred thousand light years from one side to the other. The distance to the Andromeda galaxy (the nearest big one) is about two and a half million light years. If Star Wars hyperdrives can put a spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other in days, the question is really more like why isn't there lots of intergalactic travel?
There's actually an explanation for this. Hyperdrives just don't work for that.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_(sentient_spacecraft)

:wtc:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I read the 2 by Allston and the second half of the final book, then skimmed the wiki a year later and realized that I'd missed absolutely nothing of value.

Maybe it's because the bar for the EU is set so low but I found the series enjoyable enough. My only gripes being that there were too many books and the Vong seem kinda dark and out of place in the SW universe.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Maybe it's because the bar for the EU is set so low but I found the series enjoyable enough. My only gripes being that there were too many books and the Vong seem kinda dark and out of place in the SW universe.

"Value" was probably the wrong word since most of the authors are pretty decent. "Consequence" is better since I wasn't the least bit curious about what happened with these hundreds of new characters and none of them seemed to really matter in the end.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I liked it despite a lot of dumb poo poo. Some part loving rocked, like ganner's last stand and fall of coruscant. Other parts loving sucked, like the stupid han solo duology and the dumb zonama sekot deus ex machina.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Star Wars: The Expanded Universe: RIP Chewbacca.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

SpookyLizard posted:

They could've use basically any other term and it been fine. Hell, call them Seismic charges and had them go and grab an asteroid and then blow it up and it would've been cool. But no. Sonic.

Pretty sure they were called seismic charges. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seismic_charge

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
If there is one thing I could completely remove from the Star Wars EU, it'd be the vong.

gently caress the vong. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
If you could ask Lucas ONE question, and one question alone, what would it be?

Obviously most people are going to go all spergy and go "WHYYYYYYYYY?" about some aspect of the prequels, but there's got to be SOME other topic you'd want him to answer for.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's with the flannel shirts?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hungry Gerbil posted:

How spergy are the wookiepedia editors? How much is really written about sarlaccs in the EU? I'd prefer the article being changed to make more sense. Jabba talking bullshit is much more sensible than the current nonsense on the wiki.

This is from a while ago but Toilets

Carnaticum posted:

Star Wars: The Expanded Universe: RIP Chewbacca.

Chewie didn't die. He decided that his deal with Han didn't include his retarded kids, faked his death, and now runs a nice little cantina with Lando :colbert:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Mister Roboto posted:

If you could ask Lucas ONE question, and one question alone, what would it be?

Obviously most people are going to go all spergy and go "WHYYYYYYYYY?" about some aspect of the prequels, but there's got to be SOME other topic you'd want him to answer for.

"Can I be a Jedi in the next movie?"

Or much more realistically. Why did he approve Force Unleashed to be G cannon while other really amazing EU books and games. Heir to the Empire and KotoR are down as C cannon. I love the force unleashed games, but holly poo poo are they amazingly silly and over the top.

or

"do you have any idea how much money I have given your old rear end?"

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

"When can I expect the Criterion remastered OT?" :smug:

or

"Special Editions ok, fine whatever. But why do the edits and touch-up seem so half-assed and other parts that could use it go unfixed?"

I don't think I could think of a question that wouldn't be answered with 'My Vision" or angry silence.

I just watched the EpIV BD and I don't think R2 could have fit in that hole with the CG rocks really there, unless maybe he flew in.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
"Can't you afford your own french fries?"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The only upside was that the charges were hilariously cheap weapons in the Rogue Squadron game.

Rogue Squadron III NEVER HAPPENED.

Mostly because the game sucked, but also because it has its fair share of EU off-screen fuckery.

(Funny that those charges also affected the audio in the pause menu in the game.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Mostly because the game sucked, but also because it has its fair share of EU off-screen fuckery.

(Funny that those charges also affected the audio in the pause menu in the game.)

The worst thing about that article? It makes the assumption that the reader doesn't know who Han loving Solo is. Really, Wookieepedia?

"After the bunker's integrity was compromised, Sarkli attempted to kill Han Solo, a Rebel operative who led the attack on the bunker."

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jigoku San posted:

I just watched the EpIV BD and I don't think R2 could have fit in that hole with the CG rocks really there, unless maybe he flew in.

Exactly. Which is why its really wierd when there's the shot of Obi-wan gesturing to an unseen R2 asking him to come down to where he is, then when its obvious R2 is hesitating, he says "I won't hurt you." Not, you know "Let me move those rocks" or "How the hell did you get in there?" It makes Obi-wan seem really daft. That wizard is just a crazy old man.

But yeah, I don't know. I expect in the 3d editions, a CGI R2 will use his jetpack to drop down into there from above, and Obi-wan will do a force pull and the CGI rocks will fly past him in the shot I mentioned above.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Echo Chamber posted:

I never played Rebel Strike, but I just watched a YouTube video of the attack on the Executor.

Holy poo poo. The voice actor for Ackbar is just hilariously awful.

Edit: Here is is.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

oops wrong thread :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm going as ANH Han Solo for halloween, and since I don't feel like sending $120 to someone in Hong Kong I'm going to make my own holster. Problem is, I can't find anything that gives me precise measurements for the drat thing. Anyone have good pics of the original prop?

I thought I'd get better results asking here versus the Halloween thread.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm going as ANH Han Solo for halloween, and since I don't feel like sending $120 to someone in Hong Kong I'm going to make my own holster. Problem is, I can't find anything that gives me precise measurements for the drat thing. Anyone have good pics of the original prop?

I thought I'd get better results asking here versus the Halloween thread.

scroll a bit ways down.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16324&sid=30811ed226560f2402702d127c3e2a08

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Han+...8&tx=138&ty=103

Most of that means you would have to be a little handy with leather working or know some one who does.

Its mostly a cowboy style holster that has been star warsed.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leather-Single-Western-Holster/dp/B0018BTZBA/ref=sr_1_11?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1318316682&sr=1-11

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

You're asking that in a universe where you have to keep your engines on and pointed away from your destination to keep going forwards in space.

I just noticed this, but what?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

I just noticed this, but what?

He's saying that Star Wars space vehicles operate like atmospheric craft. They keep their engines on all the time as if they'd slow down if they didn't. In reality, every second they have the engines on (which is always), they'd be accelerating and they'd need an engine pointed at their destination to slow them down and not collide.

Watch Apollo 13 or 2010, the engines are only fired at launch or when they need to change their course. Otherwise, you just coast.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

He's saying that Star Wars space vehicles operate like atmospheric craft. They keep their engines on all the time as if they'd slow down if they didn't. In reality, every second they have the engines on (which is always), they'd be accelerating and they'd need an engine pointed at their destination to slow them down and not collide.

Watch Apollo 13 or 2010, the engines are only fired at launch or when they need to change their course. Otherwise, you just coast.

Oh, okay, yeah, I didn't think of that. I read it and thought that there was some ship with engines pointed forward and flew around like that or something. Yeah, I just plain forgot about actual physics since it's star wars. It really didn't even occur to me that was the thing. (also apollo 13 is awesome).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, I just plain forgot about actual physics since it's star wars.

Yeah this is the best direction to take, the other direction...madness lies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But there's actually air out there that requires them to keep their engines on all the time. How else would those sounds occur, hmm?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah this is the best direction to take, the other direction...madness lies.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but is Babylon 5 the only show/movie that even gave a nod toward realistic physics with its space battles?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but is Babylon 5 the only show/movie that even gave a nod toward realistic physics with its space battles?

The new(ish now) Battlestar Galactica series also went with a more realistic space combat. Also while it had sound in space it was severely muted.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Didn't Firefly also have "realistic no-sound in space"?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

VaultAggie posted:

Didn't Firefly also have "realistic no-sound in space"?

Firefly did, but Serenity did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this? posted:

The new(ish now) Battlestar Galactica series also went with a more realistic space combat. Also while it had sound in space it was severely muted.

I know it's unrealistic but I could listen to the Viper's machine gun fire and the Galactica's flak barrier all day.