Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sba posted:

Mine plays.

Even better.

Yeah, been playing longer and play more often too. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I really don't give a poo poo what you wear on your face, your an adult and can deal with the risks/benefits.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

gigabitnokie posted:

Over/Under on percentage of Cage Advocates(tm) that do not wear a neck guard set at 90%.

I'd say 99%

Also wrist/slash guards, skate covers, kevlar socks, Cascade helmets...

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah so like I posted before I got hit in the neck over the summer and had to go see an ENT Surgeon (didn't need surgery though but it was expensive as gently caress) and thought about wearing a neck guard and bought one and was like "gently caress this uncomfortable thing" and didn't wear it. Last game my teammate whacked me right in the neck with his stick blade when coming off on a change, which kinda sucked. Still not gonna wear a neck guard though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Still not gonna wear a neck guard though.

What if it was chain mail? :black101:

http://www.armouronline.com/product/116/spangenhelm_chain_gorget_helmet.html

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That nosehelm might mess with my on-ice vision :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately it was the only chain gorget I could dig up with GIS, otherwise I would have picked a helmet that a hockey player might actually wear.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Scratch that poo poo off the bucket list. I've been playing hockey for 10 years and have played with some crazy good players (CHL, ECHL, NCAA D1). But I've never played with an NHL'er

...until today.

:whatup:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Scratch that poo poo off the bucket list. I've been playing hockey for 10 years and have played with some crazy good players (CHL, ECHL, NCAA D1). But I've never played with an NHL'er

...until today.

sean avery?

edit: nevermind, you said NHL'er

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

...until today.

Ex-NHLer or current NHLer? I've played against a few ex-NHLers, but no current players that I'm aware of.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ex. NHLers to be precise. But they're...uh...they're pretty good at hockey.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I've seen goalies have little towels up against their forehead while they play in their helmet to catch the sweat. I sweat so loving much when I play hockey. Any solutions for me?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
New skates tonight. I'm pretty excited. Its like grownup christmas.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I've seen goalies have little towels up against their forehead while they play in their helmet to catch the sweat. I sweat so loving much when I play hockey. Any solutions for me?

Its pretty standard in all goalie masks. It literally consists of some velcro and a bit of towel as a sweat band thing. I've even once forgot to bring the special little sweat band part and put a sock in there, which also sticks to the velcro and it worked just as well. As long as your helmet isn't too tight already it should be an easy mod. Don't forget to wring it out to the disgust of everyone between periods.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

soggybagel posted:

I've seen a lot of guys wear those UnderArmor do-rag things under their helmet

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cleaning out my back room made me realize how many sticks I've got. Ice, roller, floor ... even my girlfriends 2 sticks are in there, and its aluminum.

(thanks for the heads up on the link, tried posting from my phone)

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 7, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Verman posted:

[Img]http://m.flickr.com/photos/derickadame/6219207664.jpg[/ img]

Cleaning out my back room made me realize how many sticks I've got. Ice, roller, floor ... even my girlfriends 2 sticks are in there, and its aluminum

your link's broken

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took my first real hit tonight, and I am never going to play contact hockey, ever.

It was less of a "hit" and more of a "full speed collision between two newbies who couldn't stop in time", so the other guy went ahead and put his shoulder into it and laid me out.

Ears were ringing, my ribs on one side are sore as gently caress.. that seals it I'm going to play pussy hockey for my whole life. :colbert:

I have no idea how pros put up with it 82 times a year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's about minimizing points of contact. You got your bell rung. Most games most players don't take a hard direct contact hit. They are amazingly good at getting out of the way.

Secondly, these new one inch shorter shin pads are loving great.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

robcat posted:

I've seen a lot of guys wear those UnderArmor do-rag things under their helmet

That's what I wear, works great.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That's a good idea! Will investigate this.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

soggybagel posted:

I sweat more than you and all I can say is thank god for my thick eyebrows. They are awesome at keeping sweat out of my eyes.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I took my first real hit tonight, and I am never going to play contact hockey, ever.

It was less of a "hit" and more of a "full speed collision between two newbies who couldn't stop in time", so the other guy went ahead and put his shoulder into it and laid me out.

Yeah it's quite different if you are in a checking league where people have actually been taught how to check and have been doing it for awhile.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Ears were ringing, my ribs on one side are sore as gently caress.. that seals it I'm going to play pussy hockey for my whole life. :colbert:

I have no idea how pros put up with it 82 times a year.

One of the things it took me years to learn (I started when I was 21, so I never played full-contact, but I've been "contacted" more than a few times) is that you have to play like your space is your own, checking or no. I used to try to avoid the hit when I'd turn and see another guy and I were about to collide. That basically meant that I was going to take the entirety of the impact ("Pardon me, sir...oh I see that you have knocked me unto my arse!")

Now I just kind of...get big and try to make sure that the other guy absorbs as much as I do. I don't put my shoulder into the hit or anything, but I do try to become...thicker...if that makes any sense. Power skating classes also help, it's like you become more rooted to the ice surface.

Also, head on a swivel. But collisions will happen.

e: Hardest I ever got hit was coming around behind the net with speed. I was low and the guy that shouldered me...wasn't. After I got up ~5 minutes later, possibly concussed, he basically said "Oh sorry man...I saw you coming but you weren't looking. I didn't really know where else to go." Bullshit.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 7, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I went full speed into another guy at center rink once. We both saw each other and went for the puck and we both kind of braced and went into each other. Me being the shorter guy rocked the kid. We both got up was like you good and went on our merry way. Good clean fun contact.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Well I've had a few games on those Reebok 11k skates now and all I can say is that they are the single greatest thing I have ever spent money on and worth every penny.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Whelp I played defense for the first time tonight. Felt like learning to play hockey all over again haha. Fairly certain I screened the ever loving poo poo out of my goalie but I figured it out after letting two poo poo goals in glancing off my skates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this is interesting.

My scam-o-meter is beeping a little bit but this is a pretty enticing deal. A couple of guys on my team have ordered one already, I might get a chance to try one in the next few weeks. Quite honestly I don't really get why non-name brand quality sticks haven't become a thing yet, maybe this will be the first.

In Tron's favor, we ordered our new sweaters and socks from them and they look great so that's cool.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

So this is interesting.

My scam-o-meter is beeping a little bit but this is a pretty enticing deal. A couple of guys on my team have ordered one already, I might get a chance to try one in the next few weeks. Quite honestly I don't really get why non-name brand quality sticks haven't become a thing yet, maybe this will be the first.

In Tron's favor, we ordered our new sweaters and socks from them and they look great so that's cool.

418g composite one-piece for $99? :monocle:

It is imperative that you get one and report back to us on how much you like it...for science.

e: Hmm...a bit of googling brought up some reviews of Tron sticks here, here, and here. I'm kind of thinking about picking one up now to pair with my Warrior Kronik.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 8, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

So this is interesting.

Aren't most composite sticks for the different brands made in the same factories in Mexico and China? As long as the build quality is comparable, then you should essentially being getting the same stick as a name brand one.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So those two dudes that quit my team for "being disorganized/not playing as a team and nobody showing up to games" subbed for the team we played tonight and we beat them 7-2 and probably played the best game as a team we ever played. We ran three pretty balanced lines and all seemed to gel pretty quick. Funny thing is that we iced 3 lines + 4D at 11:15 pm on a Saturday after a Sharks game and the team they played for was short.

I asked before about icing a line of bad/bad/bad and somehow it seems to work tonight. The dudes know what to do but are just too old and slow to do it most of the time. But they all played a slower game together and it worked out well. They didnt score any goals but they controlled the puck during most of their shifts and I think they will stay together for now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Why would guys bitch about no one showing up for games? I love it. It's like the guys that aren't there are subsidizing me getting more ice time.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Dangerllama posted:

Why would guys bitch about no one showing up for games? I love it. It's like the guys that aren't there are subsidizing me getting more ice time.

I think it might be a personal thing, but I can't stand being super short-benched. If it happens every once in a while it isn't too bad, but the team I played for this summer was short benched constantly. Playing defence with only two other defencemen gets tiring really quick, especially if you're playing a better team and it's hard to make changes.

The really frustrating part was that the captain would never put any effort into getting subs. He'd send an email to see who was playing prior to the game, and I'd always ask if he needed a sub and almost never got a reply. But sure enough we'd get there and have five forwards and three D, and proceed to get our assess handed to us.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think less than 8 guys is pretty brutal but if you're pissed that you can't ice 3 forward lines or something you're a big baby and should shut up.

edit: VVVV 10 is ideal VVVVV

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 10, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

10 is really nice for a league game. Anything less can get tiring, while more starts to cut into ice time. My team has 3 D-lines and it kind of sucks. There have been some games where I don't even sweat.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Honestly, with what little ice time you get compared to drop-in, sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting my money to play in a league.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
drat you guys must be iron men. I would think having a decent amount of guys like 12ish would be good. Play hard every shift and change often.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Well, on the team I'm on right now, we have 12 guys and I could stand to be out there longer. It's not just that, though. League games are an hour compared to an hour and a half for drop-in. Yeah, league games are more competitive, but I'm poor and cheap.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How long are your forward shifts? If they're less than 1:30 (beer leaguers always skate long) you should be just recovered by the time your next shift rolls around. Any longer and you just get exhausted and bored because guys start to take longer and longer shifts.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

They're relatively short, I was talking cumulatively.