Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Macaluso posted:

So you guys playing the 1.9, are Enderman a lot rarer now? Because they sound like they are more annoying with them taking 5 (wtf) hearts off per hit, than they were then when they were just messing up things we build

It seems like it. On the other hand, skeletons are even more annoying. Creepers are almost a non-issue by comparison, I've been killed by skeletons like five times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
I have only seen one enderman in 1.9pre3 so far

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I love the dragon, it looks like it's made of Legos. :3:

So did they up the number of strongholds in 1.9.3, or are they just ridiculously close to spawn?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

wyoming posted:

I love the dragon, it looks like it's made of Legos. :3:

So did they up the number of strongholds in 1.9.3, or are they just ridiculously close to spawn?

Strongholds seem to nigh-always spawn near 0,0. Case in point: seed 777 has a stronghold a 0,0 in 1.9.pre3, while in pre2 it had one around -150,-600. Strongholds are also now marked by giant glass "dope towers" for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monsters being stronger probably wont be as annoying once the new armor and enchanting systems are implemented.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

redmercer posted:

Strongholds seem to nigh-always spawn near 0,0. Case in point: seed 777 has a stronghold a 0,0 in 1.9.pre3, while in pre2 it had one around -150,-600. Strongholds are also now marked by giant glass "dope towers" for some reason.

The towers are a debug function they forgot to turn off. It'll most likely be gone in 1.9 final.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

redmercer posted:

That's pretty cool, actually. Now if they'd make 0,0 the compass header we wouldn't even need to "cheat" via debug screen.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Tech question: I assume that there are worlds people have created that are hundreds of megs in filesize? I ask because my lil 30 meg labour of love now lags miserably and unplayably upon loading but a new world seems to load just fine. I'm hoping this is a Java issue?

I have 6 GB of RAM and have tried a batch file to increase allocated RAM, but if I up it to 2048 or higher, javaw.exe just eats it all up, to the tune of 1.7GB and more. How likely is it that this is an issue with file corruption vs just a javaw.exe issue?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Dear dude with the terraingen gone completely mad in 1.9p3:

Me, too.

Seed: -8046548705381595985

mdxi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 8, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

mdxi posted:

Dear dude with the terraingen gone completely mad in 1.9p3:

Me, too.

I like the yogscast's explanation to themselves about it. Perhaps Notch was testing either a sky dimension or the floating biomes code (since in the level gen there's that greyed out dropdown like from indev where you could choose floating, hell, island, etc. oh how I miss island), and he left in some code and now they get generated accidentally?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Tw1tchy posted:

I like the yogscast's explanation to themselves about it. Perhaps Notch was testing either a sky dimension or the floating biomes code (since in the level gen there's that greyed out dropdown like from indev where you could choose floating, hell, island, etc. oh how I miss island), and he left in some code and now they get generated accidentally?

It looks to me like he tried to make the sky dimension a biome that only happens after you go in that portal but instead it took effect on the overworld too, or was intentionally left in to test the algorithm.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It isn't a biome, you can tell based on the screenshot that the snow biome overlaps the normal chunks and the sky chunks.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

So, I don't think this has been mentioned, and I apologize if it has, but apparently you can now craft 4 pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin. Time to start a light bulb farm. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, spent the last few hours excavating some room to build my farm in, and 40 pumpkin stems or so now starting from a single pumpkin. :shobon:

Edit: Also an endermen somehow made it into my well-lit, entirely enclosed farm, and now I'm scared. :ohdear:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's gotta be floating biome generation conflicting with normal terrain generation, that's the only reason I can think of for why there's suddenly floating islands over the void.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

It isn't a biome, you can tell based on the screenshot that the snow biome overlaps the normal chunks and the sky chunks.

Barely. There are huge chunks of no snow in the middle of where it should be snowy.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Joda posted:

I'm one of the people who's had it on the Xperia Play for a little while...

Whoa ho ho. People own those? That actually came out?

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I plugged the seed in and the chunk are normal on mine.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how stronghold generation happens on preexisting maps? Our SMP server is using the same 1.7.3 map in 1.8.1 so there are new biomes/features, but not until a couple thousand blocks out. Everything around 0,0 has already been generated under older code; are we just SOL?

edit - Also, whatever happened to Minecraft on Xbox? I cant find any details other than "its not a direct port" and "its coming out sometime".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rack posted:

Does anyone know how stronghold generation happens on preexisting maps? Our SMP server is using the same 1.7.3 map in 1.8.1 so there are new biomes/features, but not until a couple thousand blocks out. Everything around 0,0 has already been generated under older code; are we just SOL?

edit - Also, whatever happened to Minecraft on Xbox? I cant find any details other than "its not a direct port" and "its coming out sometime".

I would assume it is still being developed, but they haven't done any PR for it. I would assume that they will discuss it at MineCon

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rack posted:

In 1.8 you will only get 1-3 strongholds in a ring more than 640 and less than 1152 metres from the 0,0. So unless you're willing to reset some of those chunks, you are not going to get strongholds in 1.8. But once you move to 1.9 and beyond you will find them elsewhere, so I wouldn't worry about it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has anyone ever had their launcher simply not be able to connect to minecraft.net even though it's up and running? This is new to me :confused:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone else having problems with the new 11.10 Catalyst drivers released a few hours ago? They finally fixed most of the bugs I had with Rage but now Minecraft freezes at a black screen and crashes the entire display driver with no event viewer entry and randomly spitting out an error message about atioglxx.dll.

i5-2500k cpu, p8p67 pro mobo, Radeon 6870 1GB video card, 16GB ram, 128GB SSD. Windows 7 64bit with both 32bit and 64bit versions of Java 7 installed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Verizian posted:

Anyone else having problems with the new 11.10 Catalyst drivers released a few hours ago? They finally fixed most of the bugs I had with Rage but now Minecraft freezes at a black screen and crashes the entire display driver with no event viewer entry and randomly spitting out an error message about atioglxx.dll.

i5-2500k cpu, p8p67 pro mobo, Radeon 6870 1GB video card, 16GB ram, 128GB SSD. Windows 7 64bit with both 32bit and 64bit versions of Java 7 installed.

One of my friends has been having nothing but hell with his Rage compatible drivers, so you might not be alone

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

crazylakerfan posted:

One of my friends has been having nothing but hell with his Rage compatible drivers, so you might not be alone

Yeah the new ones fixed most of the problems and it runs amazingly now but the problem now is I can't play Minecraft with Catalyst 11.10 release 2 beta drivers. They're the only two openGL games I've got installed.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone ever had their launcher simply not be able to connect to minecraft.net even though it's up and running? This is new to me :confused:
I had this problem with the old launcher when I started using the 1.8 pre-release and beyond, but the current launcher connects fine.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Courtesy of notch's twitter

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

Verizian posted:

I am also getting this, yes. I had to roll back the drivers in order to play Minecraft. loving fan-loving-tast-gently caress-ic

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

Stay classy, Mojang.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

If the yogscast video was any indication, I can't wait for thousands of people to ragequit minecraft over seeing some virtual poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Insurrectum posted:

Minecraftcommunity.jpeg

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Insurrectum posted:

Hilarious! That's basically a cauldron, a hatch, a couple of stone blocks, and a lump of bread floating in the cauldron.

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

I haven't played Minecraft extensively since alpha pretty much, but I decided to try out the 1.9 prerelease thing. It is pretty rad! I started with this seed, and after sailing for a few hours with supplies from the mine, I found an island full of trees and poo poo. I decided to basically play Harvest Moon from there, and I built up farms of wheat, chickens, sheep, cacti, and sugar cane. Eventually I was exploring other parts of the island and I found another abandoned mine and a giant cave system. Came out with a stupid amount of iron and went back to farming. Also started a chicken farm in the nether.

Oh also hardcore mode is just awesome. I got bored of Minecraft before because it didn't really have much of a point, but hardcore just emphasizes survival.

Here's my I house I just finished building atop some giant mushrooms:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Shroom houses are pretty sweet.

This took a lot of work with pistons.

Thanks, pistons.

Thistons.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

UnCO3 posted:

This took a lot of work with pistons.

Thanks, pistons.

Thistons.

You can move mushroom blocks with pistons?! :aaaaa: This changes everything.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Insurrectum posted:

I thought cauldrons had been taken out? I need to make this.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cauldrons are remaining in game but will just function as a water holding device, which is still useful since you won't have to run back and forth from an ocean or pond to your brewing stand to start potions. A cauldron holds enough water for three bottles

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 8, 2011

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They're probably still not as useful as an infinite water pool, but they can be used for decoration.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That purpose doesn't make sense to me, since I have a 2x2 bit of water in my house so that I have infinite water on hand whenever I need it. It's still a cool piece of furniture, which we always need more of, but I don't feel like it's useful, you know?

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
This is Mojang working on Minecraft, features will get put in and taken out and re-implemented with a complete and polar opposite function from what they were originally intended to do. See: Books. Now that we know that bookcases are only for enchanting tables and will never ever ever ever be used for writing your own personal Minecraft journal into, I'm stuck with my Bulletin Board Dirt Walls Full O'Signs.

As long as they're just throwing dimensions into the game all willy-nilly with no purpose, they should put in a "dream" dimension that has a percentage of occuring when you use a bed to sleep. It would be a strictly wireframe/AutoCAD 3D-ish dimension and on the "surface", the "blocks" are basically hollow outlined squares that comes in the primary colors of the rainbow whereas the "underground" is all in shades of grey. Obviously you wouldn't be able to take anything in or out of the dimension unless Notch introduces The Gauntlet to his repertoire of armor pieces and makes a crafting recipe of a Leather Gauntlet surrounded by five iron swords in order to make a Freddy's Glove which will allow you to take only one block at a time inbetween dimensions, so you could hypothetically take in a dirt block and bring out a pink outline of a cube. Oh and you can only "leave" the dimension by "waking up", i.e. falling or getting killed by some poor wireframe representation of a creeper.

I got the weird floating biome glitch thingy in my world, so I did an experiment. I was running Firefox and Reason and Steam and a couple of other processes as well, so I closed out EVERYTHING but Minecraft and reloaded the world from a back-up, and it generated fine. Do you think that would have something to do with the terrain being glitched? I know that sometimes I just start up new worlds without entering any seeds and when I have a bunch of other poo poo running, the likelihood of 2-3 floating dirt blocks up in the air increases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

As long as they're just throwing dimensions into the game all willy-nilly with no purpose, they should put in a "dream" dimension that has a percentage of occuring when you use a bed to sleep.

That was the original plan for the Aether, iirc.