Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux Frog
Oct 4, 2011

Even the Queen Mum doesn't get cocoa.

Whispering Machines posted:

DEADGIRL
Is it possible to think a movie was good but not really want to recommend it? Because while this movie was *good* it's really hosed up, gross and disturbing. Two high school slackers find a naked, yet kind of dead looking chick chained up in an abandoned asylum basement. One of them thinks its gross and hosed up and awful, the other wants to keep her. Don't show this to a girl on a first date. Or ever, really.

Oh god, that one. I sat through Irreversible like it was nothing (granted, I was comatose on absinthe and sadness at the time...), but I could hardly handle Deadgirl. Even if said dead girl was creepyfine. (Oh, wow, hey, quoting a post from the second page in a thirty page thread, I am good at this.)

Well, let's see what I can dredge up... mostly horror movies, probably.

Deathwatch (Crazy WWI mindscrew. There are... rats.)
Shiver
Deadfall Trail
Blood Creek (Just watch it to see a zombie horse wreck up someone's house.)
Jade Warrior (I don't know how they managed to mix Finland and kung-fu, but I won't complain.)
Frozen
Flame and Citron (A sexy ginger Dane killing Nazis, based on a true story. Pretty much all I can ask for in a movie.)
Cronos (Guillermo del Toro, people.)

Ah, that's all I got for now; I hope at least a few are satisfactory.

Faux Frog has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coRRale
Mar 22, 2005

Bloop
I don't know what happened but I managed to watch the fist episode of The Walking Dead on instant. So maybe that'll be up soon.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

wormil posted:

There isn't much character development so if you dislike the first episode, chances are you won't like the rest any better although the show does improve through the first season. So you might watch another episode or two and find out. Conversely, I love Psych but never cared for Monk.
Yeah, I agree that the characters don't change much. You can really start watching pretty much anywhere, and then catch up here and there in the rare event that there's a reference to a past episode. I caught a few episodes and initially thought it was pretty stupid, then became hooked (but it IS pretty stupid). I like Monk okay, but I never followed it closely, so I've probably seen 10-15 episodes at best. I love Psych, though.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Leaves of Grass is probably one of the best movies I've seen this year.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Could you give me a little more to go on? From the cover and brief description it just looks like just another kooky, zany, oddball stoner comedy. What's so special about this one?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
For one, Ed Norton plays identical twins so seamlessly its unnerving. And the two characters have such drastically different personalities its really an excellent bit of acting. Two, it is funny on many levels, not just stoner hurr hurr. There's elements of philosophy and literature in there that someone with a higher (re: college level) education can appreciate. Its not necessarily a feel good movie, or a comedy. Though there are elements of both in there. And its an easy viewing, no real flow issues or boring stretches that I could tell with my unpracticed eye.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Well alright then, consider it 'queued!

Looks like The Big Lebowski just got put back up, and since my roommate still hasn't seen it I guess I'll be busting out the kahlua this weekend!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

Could you give me a little more to go on? From the cover and brief description it just looks like just another kooky, zany, oddball stoner comedy. What's so special about this one?

It isn't really a stoner comedy, it is a comedy about family relationships where the action revolves around the consequences of one of the characters who grows weed. The setting is in a backwater so the whole grower thing makes sense, and the location plays into the characters and their life choices.

I was expecting a stoner comedy too, but isn't one, and is a lot darker overall. Ed Norton does a really, really good job too.

Neon Blood
Oct 11, 2007

One finger, one trigger, one scope, one eye. Kiss your loved ones goodbye.
Lo - Unique movie about a lost love and demons. Does a lot with just a little.

This Film is Not Yet Rated - Good documentary on how corrupt and lovely the MPAA is.

Ink - Part Sci-fi, part kung fu part whatever the gently caress. Unlike anything I've ever seen.

The Iron Giant - The only movie I legitimately cried over, SHUT UP.

Antichrist - Not for the feint of heart. If you're not used to this kind of movie, you'll have to get past the weirdness. If you can, great movie.

Session 9 - Pretty intense, low-budget horror movie.

The Horseman - Good revenge flick.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Who Played with Fire and Who Kicked the Hornets Nest - Watch them before Hollywood remakes them into piles of poo poo.

Until the Light Takes Us - Awesome black metal documentary.

Monsters - Not what I expected, in a good way.

Bronson - Just watch it.

The entire Battlestar Galactica series (the new one): Was recommended to me a thousand times by people who's opinion that I trust, I put off watching it for like 3 years. Now I feel like an rear end for doing so. If this is you, loving watch it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Holy poo poo pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned yet, but ds9 is available.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
DS9 trip report

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver

fosborb posted:

Holy poo poo pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned yet, but ds9 is available.

Gotcha covered on the last page. :hfive: Still an awesome addition either way.

Also awesome is Season 3 of Parks and Recreation going up right as I finished watching the 2nd season. No additional wait, and I'm almost totally caught up now!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

fosborb posted:

DS9 trip report

I just finished watching the first episode. That little scene made me cringe a little bit. Sisko is definitely the most awkward captain ever.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Smiley! posted:

Gotcha covered on the last page. :hfive: Still an awesome addition either way.

gently caress even going over it all again I only see a bunch of Psych recommendations. I blame the android app.

Edit: well found it. Congrats. It was a. Day. That was very important to me. A day. That shaped. Every day that followed.

fosborb has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Oct 5, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sir Berserksalot posted:

Lo - Unique movie about a lost love and demons. Does a lot with just a little.

Lo is a weird loving movie but I really liked it. The budget must have been microscopic but they really made the most of it.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I figure this is as good of a place to ask as any...
I just got Netflix, and on my laptop, every time, with every show or movie, it will play about 8 minutes, and then go into "loading" forever. I've left it for hours, it's frozen. :( I can of course refresh and it will start back up at that point and keep going... for another 8 minutes.
Is this a common thing? Are there, like, router things I can do to fix it? I've googled for a while and can't seem to find a straight answer on it.

ScrapsCantGo
May 19, 2003

I really miss the shark.
I came here to suggest The Perfect Host.

David Hyde Pierce is wonderful in this. It has some great twists. Check out the trailer .

Also, Quad - you may need to update or rollback your version of Silverlight (I think that is what Netflix requires). My tablet had some issues like that and that's what fixed it. Unless you have a really crappy connection it could just be the version you have.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Dishes sit dirty in the sink.

The cat paws at us, desperately, as if to say, "Feed me, guys. I'm so hungry."

Okay, after this episode, we'll take care of things.

Twelve hours later, we realize that we haven't eaten.

Microwave dinners, still half-frozen, in front of the TV.

Malcolm in the Middle shall be the death of us all.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Oct 5, 2011

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ScrapsCantGo posted:

I came here to suggest The Perfect Host.

David Hyde Pierce is wonderful in this. It has some great twists. Check out the trailer .

I watched this the other night. It was so-so. Basically the dumbest criminal on the planet runs into the craziest person ever.

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

Quad posted:

I figure this is as good of a place to ask as any...
I just got Netflix, and on my laptop, every time, with every show or movie, it will play about 8 minutes, and then go into "loading" forever. I've left it for hours, it's frozen. :( I can of course refresh and it will start back up at that point and keep going... for another 8 minutes.
Is this a common thing? Are there, like, router things I can do to fix it? I've googled for a while and can't seem to find a straight answer on it.

I've only seen this when far away from my wireless router.

Try using a network cable and direct-connecting to eliminate weak wireless signal as the culprit.

Even if it is the connection you should eventually get a time out message of some sort not just a stuck loading screen. Bizarre that it happens at 8 minutes...

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I want to say I've had the same problem as Quad. I never timed it, but ever so often, and frequently, it stops to load and never will unless I refresh the page. I am on a wired connection.

No matter the browser, or amount of space open, it keeps happening. Other continuously running internet applications never have the same issue. Maybe I'll actually call their tech support number.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I just finished watching the first episode. That little scene made me cringe a little bit. Sisko is definitely the most awkward captain ever.

I'm a big fan of DS9 but watching from the start again on Netflix is reminding how rough it was at the begining.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Dunno if anyone mentioned it, but Dirty Jobs just got a bunch of episodes. Hello procrastination. :smith:

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Rubber Slug posted:

Dunno if anyone mentioned it, but Dirty Jobs just got a bunch of episodes. Hello procrastination. :smith:

Yea it looks like Discovery is finally upping some new seasons of their shows. Maybe some more man vs wild/survivorman, and deadliest catch (and everything else).

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I've heard great things about Troll Hunter. Its so nice to finally see relatively new pop up that I'm interested in!

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

I want to say I've had the same problem as Quad. I never timed it, but ever so often, and frequently, it stops to load and never will unless I refresh the page. I am on a wired connection.

No matter the browser, or amount of space open, it keeps happening. Other continuously running internet applications never have the same issue. Maybe I'll actually call their tech support number.

I had this problem a lot on my PC but never on the Xbox app. I never figured out what was causing it because I don't watch it on my computer at all now.

The Xbox seemed a lot better about dropping quality when necessary, and maybe that is why it didn't have those problems.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I don't know what it is, but everytime netflix uploads a new season of 30 rock I seem to get a cold, and just plow through it in a day. Whats great is that I'm usually in and out of sleep so I can go back and rewatch it and still find new things.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Season 1 of The Walking Dead is supposed to go up some time today as Netflix just struck a deal with the show to stream the current season (beginning today) and all future seasons.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Season 1 of The Walking Dead is supposed to go up some time today as Netflix just struck a deal with the show to stream the current season (beginning today) and all future seasons.

Make sure you open up the old thread and read along while you watch if you enjoy true horror.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

That's outstanding. I don't have AMC, so I was stoked to find out and finally watch Mad Men. Breaking Bad has been in my queue since it popped up. Walking Dead will stream day after or something? That's the best damned news. The first season was pretty damned good.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Hmm...

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Walking_Dead/70181844?trkid=2361637&fcld=true

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

That's outstanding. I don't have AMC, so I was stoked to find out and finally watch Mad Men. Breaking Bad has been in my queue since it popped up. Walking Dead will stream day after or something? That's the best damned news. The first season was pretty damned good.

I don't think it'll stream day after, but rather by season. So for example, probably a few weeks before season 3, they will put up season 2. Season 1 SHOULD be up some time today, but I have no clue when.

It's explained here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=83030

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

I don't think it'll stream day after, but rather by season. So for example, probably a few weeks before season 3, they will put up season 2. Season 1 SHOULD be up some time today, but I have no clue when.

It's explained here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=83030

Whoops, I misunderstood you. That's still pretty damned cool.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Found through Google. http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The-Walking-Dead-Season-1/70150447

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Can anyone tell me from the perspective of someone who thinks that zombies have kind of gotten played out recently, how good The Walking Dead is?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Jibo posted:

Can anyone tell me from the perspective of someone who thinks that zombies have kind of gotten played out recently, how good The Walking Dead is?

I also think zombies are played out, and I found The Walking Dead kind of bland. The effects are fantastic, especially for a television show, but the plot kind of muddles around and gets really contrived in places, especially toward the end.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Jibo posted:

The first season had some pacing issues where everything felt a little rushed (this is from the season only being 6 episodes). This hurt the ability to establish the characters. There are several secondary characters who we're probably supposed to care about but don't. So when any of them happen to die, it's less of an OMG and more of a "oh no. That person is dead. Not who ever that is :geno:". And by the end of the season, there is just too much happening to care about any of it.

Overall, though, it did seem to have some potential and I look forward to seeing what they can do with a longer season.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jibo posted:

It is pretty bad, honestly. The character development is awful and they fall back on cliche cardboard cutouts at every opportunity and it just gets more ridiculous (and not in a good way) as it goes on.

In that regard it is a lot like most of the comic book series after the first "big" volume. There was a lot of potential that is kind of sad to see wasted.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

As someone who is personally a die hard fan of the comics, I really enjoyed it and aside from basic things and who knows what in the future, I like that they've somewhat gone in a different direction with the show. That way you're not just seeing an adaptation. I'm kind of getting on the "zombies are overplayed" wagon but as someone who just loves good AMC programming, this definitely fits in with the club. Not to mention the effects and what AMC is willing to let them put on TV is top notch stuff. I'm glad that this season will be a full 13 or 14 episodes, but I do not like that it will be split up in half so that 6 air from October and then the remainder resume in February. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jibo posted:

It's the survivor's story and zombies are the backdrop. As a drama the writing and acting were a little uneven and some plot elements were :wtf: but the series has potential. I would say it's even keel with something like Sons of Anarchy but well below Breaking Bad or Dexter. The source material's strengths are brutality and realistic interactions but has terrible writing and illustration. The comic also has a high body count which I hope will transfer over to the series but I'm not holding my breath.

• Locked thread