Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

Shalinor posted:

So is the thing I am missing that cancels ignore the input buffer, whereas "combos" do not ignore the buffer? So - if I am setting up a "dodge cancel," I want that to scan immediate input and ignore the buffer, whereas when I'm setting up my "combo cancel," I want that to read the next move on the input stack and, if it matches, pop the button off the input stack and play the next move?

Or is there some other way of doing this?
Is the dodge an invulnerable roll or like a Viewtiful Joe dodge?

But yeah either way top priority is definitely having the dodge immediately stop everything as possible. When the button is read just completely delete any prior input, stop the attack animation and go into the dodge asap (especially if the combat is based around it being invuln or semi-invuln).

r2x fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

r2x posted:

Is the dodge an invulnerable roll or like a Viewtiful Joe dodge?

But yeah either way top priority is definitely having the dodge immediately stop everything as possible. When the button is read just completely delete any prior input, stop the attack animation and go into the dodge asap (especially if the combat is based around it being invuln or semi-invuln).
It's a bit of both. I'm undecided as to whether I want the entire thing to be invuln, or just the first few frames. It isn't something I can tune until I've got enemies with actual AI that are fighting within a completed combat system.

In any case, so, to make sure I've got this straight in my head:

- I track an input buffer as well as immediate-to-frame inputs
- I track button-down events only, or specific singular button-held events (ie. holding X won't fill the input buffer with a bunch of single Xs)
- The buffer has a max size, and just throws away input if it at max size
- Cancels check immediate-to-frame inputs, not the buffer
- Combos check the buffer, not the immediate-to-frame inputs
- A cancel move clears the input buffer when it hits
- A combo move just pops the top input item off the buffer

Sound about right?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 6, 2011

r2x
Jan 13, 2008

Shalinor posted:

It's a bit of both. I'm undecided as to whether I want the entire thing to be invuln, or just the first few frames. It isn't something I can tune until I've got enemies with actual AI that are fighting within a completed combat system.

In any case, so, to make sure I've got this straight in my head:

- I track an input buffer as well as immediate-to-frame inputs
- I track button-down events only, or specific singular button-held events (ie. holding X won't fill the input buffer with a bunch of single Xs)
- The buffer has a max size, and just throws away input if it at max size
- Cancels check immediate-to-frame inputs, not the buffer
- Combos check the buffer, not the immediate-to-frame inputs
- A cancel move clears the input buffer when it hits
- A combo move just pops the top input item off the buffer

Sound about right?
Sounds about right, but how many moves are you holding ahead? Probably should not be able to queue more then a couple of moves or combo (if it is dial-a-combo). Is the fighting system freeform or dial-a-combo based where it has a preset end?

r2x fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

r2x posted:

Sounds about right, but how many moves are you holding ahead? Probably should not be able to queue more then a couple of moves or combo (if it is dial-a-combo). Is the fighting system freeform or dial-a-combo based where it has a preset end?
Free-form. There is a "combo system" only in that if you mash XXXX, having the same punch come out each time would be a little dull.

You're looking at XXX, YY, and XY/XXY/XXXY/YXY Y-terminated combos to put some delays into button mashing, that's it.

Each of those X and Y is meant to be modifiable with direction (ie. X is punch, toward+X is a punch with a bit of forward slide, up+X is a pop, down+X is a low forward slide), and down+Jump is a back-dodge doubling as your primary cancel. Down+X is also evasive, and it might be another almost uniform cancel. Up+X/Y will likely be laggy terminators regardless of position.

I really, really don't want dial-a-combo. I've never been a fan, and I've never seen them mesh well with a game focused on flow and movement.

EDIT: You know, given that, I wonder if a typical buffer actually makes sense? A "buffer" that held a single keypress and was filled by whatever the most recent non-cancel keypress was would seem to be sufficient, no?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 6, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Super Slash posted:

Try not to let it get you down too much, I'm in the same situation and I'm sure many others are too. Recently I've been interviewing with Playground Games (Telephone, then face-to-face) and got shot down in a blaze of hopes and dreams, blocked by the experience barrier again.

Same happenned with me, Playground can really pick and choose the best candidates right now.

Chin up, I'm sure either me, Akuma, SnafuAl or Analu (However the silly sod spells his goon name) will let you guys know if there is anything going at DNA (also in Leamington :v: ) and we for some retarded reason want the goon percentage to go even higher at our place. :)

r2x
Jan 13, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Free-form. There is a "combo system" only in that if you mash XXXX, having the same punch come out each time would be a little dull.

You're looking at XXX, YY, and XY/XXY/XXXY/YXY Y-terminated combos to put some delays into button mashing, that's it.

Each of those X and Y is meant to be modifiable with direction (ie. X is punch, toward+X is a punch with a bit of forward slide, up+X is a pop, down+X is a low forward slide), and down+Jump is a back-dodge doubling as your primary cancel. Down+X is also evasive, and it might be another almost uniform cancel. Up+X/Y will likely be laggy terminators regardless of position.

I really, really don't want dial-a-combo. I've never been a fan, and I've never seen them mesh well with a game focused on flow and movement.

EDIT: You know, given that, I wonder if a typical buffer actually makes sense? A "buffer" that held a single keypress and was filled by whatever the most recent non-cancel keypress was would seem to be sufficient, no?

That was kind of what I was assuming. Also maybe you should consider putting the dodge button on its own button which then modifies on direction (think like God Hand). Combining jump or really anything with Dodge generally is not the best idea if you can dedicate it to a button.

Edit: In response to your edit, in this freeflow scenario you should probably just queue the next move at maximum. As a player if I press X to get a move going and then pressed X twice during that move, I would really only want the next move to come out, not two attacks. It should probably only queue many moves in a dial-a-combo system (like in NG you can mash out the XXY as soon as you are in the air for the ID).

r2x fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 6, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

r2x posted:

That was kind of what I was assuming. Also maybe you should consider putting the dodge button on its own button which then modifies on direction (think like God Hand). Combining jump or really anything with Dodge generally is not the best idea if you can dedicate it to a button.

Edit: In response to your edit, in this freeflow scenario you should probably just queue the next move at maximum. As a player if I press X to get a move going and then pressed X twice during that move, I would really only want the next move to come out, not two attacks. It should probably only queue many moves in a dial-a-combo system (like in NG you can mash out the XYX as soon as you are in the air for the ID).
Ah, but that's the cool part - I'm a 2D game, control-wise. I can get away with down+A being the only evasive direction, because hey, there really IS only one evasive direction if a dude is in front of you :v:. It lets you pull all the cool old tricks that made the classics control so well. Down+A is a natural "back flip" input, down+X is a natural "kick slide" input, etc. It does limit the number of valid input directions, though - down vs left/right is easy enough to set up, but adding up / using 4 rigid input directions on a joypad is less pleasant.

If we were truly a combat-only game, I'd still consider it, but we're actually a platformer/RPG - economy of button use is important to me. A is already jump (platforming), and B is already use, and I add more buttons at simplicity's peril. It's also why avoiding dial-a-combo makes sense, given that you'd really start wanting a dedicated cancel to block/dodge button at that point.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 6, 2011

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Aliginge posted:

Same happenned with me, Playground can really pick and choose the best candidates right now.

Chin up, I'm sure either me, Akuma, SnafuAl or Analu (However the silly sod spells his goon name) will let you guys know if there is anything going at DNA (also in Leamington :v: ) and we for some retarded reason want the goon percentage to go even higher at our place. :)

The same thing happened with me with Playground. I'm looking at Associate/Assistant Producer roles and hoping to move back to the Midlands where my wife is from.

I had a phone and face to face interview, I felt it went relatively well but I was pretty down when I didn't get it. I haven't actually applied for a job since, even though my wife is desperate to move back to her little village down there.

I'll probably upfate my CV and start looking in the North West and Midland again soon. I think I just took a bit of a hit with that and the XDev interviews not panning out.

I'll be doing Intro to Agile and ITIL v3 Foundation courses early next year through the company, so it's not all doom and gloom if I can't find a new job.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Just sent out some apps for QA Lead to Zenimax and Respawn. Hopefully I hear back.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Hey, I've worked on combat a ton! I can help!

In general:

You buffer one input. If the player hits anything before that buffer executes, you replace the buffer.

Inputs have a 2 phase window.

Start listening for input - Execute input - Stop listening for input

If you press the button before the execute frame, it waits. If you press it after, it happens instantly.

Dodge cancels and other things are slightly different since you never want to buffer a dodge or jump.

Here's some more indepth stuff:
http://pushing-buttons.blogspot.com/2008/01/combat-cancelled.html

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, Shalinor linked me that in the UDK thread.

GeauxSteve posted:

Just sent out some apps for QA Lead to Zenimax and Respawn. Hopefully I hear back.

I applied for one of the QA Lead jobs on Zenimax/Id too. Don't know if it's something they'd look abroad for.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Normally I would go to the game idea thread for this type of question, but it is rarely active. I actually had this question in my mind for a bit. I've seen a lot of programs used to make 2D gaming, whether it's a side scroll shooter or a platform game. My question is, what do people use when they make the level layout? I've seen stuff in Stencil used tile based programs. My question is, is it possible to import a level layout into one of these programs? If you want to know, I basically drew out my levels in photoshop, etc.. (yeah i know crazy)..but at the same time I think I"m probably taking the long way on this..

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Shindragon posted:

I've seen a lot of programs used to make 2D gaming, whether it's a side scroll shooter or a platform game. My question is, what do people use when they make the level layout?

Graph paper. :downs:

Seriously, though, since most of the 2D stuff I work with uses from-scratch engines, I wind up doing most of my work just on graph paper until the programmers get a level editor together. I've used Tiled and the like before, but really, if you've got the time nothing beats a custom level editor, it's worth every bit of time and effort to reduce your level-creation pipeline to more or less instant implementation.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks for answering my question. It did help ease my worries. I went into this knowing half of what was going to work etc.. (Events,actions, scripts).. but the level part left me a bit confused.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Splat posted:

Hey, I've worked on combat a ton! I can help!

In general:

You buffer one input. If the player hits anything before that buffer executes, you replace the buffer.

Inputs have a 2 phase window.

Start listening for input - Execute input - Stop listening for input

If you press the button before the execute frame, it waits. If you press it after, it happens instantly.

Dodge cancels and other things are slightly different since you never want to buffer a dodge or jump.

Here's some more indepth stuff:
http://pushing-buttons.blogspot.com/2008/01/combat-cancelled.html
Yep - that's more or less what I've got planned.

Though I do allow buffering a dodge, in this case. I think that I don't want people to be able to cancel out in the middle of damage frames, so, a dodge input in the middle of damage frames buffers until after. It'd be a little different in 3-space, but I think that treating the dodge as a distinct move makes sense in side-scroll land.

I'm also a little uncertain on whether I want to limit the buffering to only attack/dodge inputs (if I'm just holding the stick left - will that clear the punch input I just buffered to a "empty left"?), or if I want to clear the buffer on state changes (landing, falling, etc) or after a period of no input. Depending on how I handle it, you'll actually be able to buffer an uppercut in the middle of the falcon kick (down+X - down 45 deg forced velocity kick until you touch ground / a wall), which... you know, actually, is pretty god damned boss.

Anywho, I haven't decided yet, but I might open our demo up to closed testing, post-IGF submission. Might be nice to get combat feedback early, and we'll be fully announced / trailered by then anyways, so information leaks would actually become a good thing. If I do so, you're all invited :v:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2011

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, Shalinor linked me that in the UDK thread.

I applied for one of the QA Lead jobs on Zenimax/Id too. Don't know if it's something they'd look abroad for.

I applied for some spots in Houston, which isn't too far for me.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just read this article, linked in another thread:
http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/22786_To_My_Someday_Daughter.html

It takes a look at many problems with the way women are treated in gamer culture and somewhere around the halfway point it brings up video games as well, and why the author was ashamed to share his passion with his spouse. I found myself realizing that a lot of the issues they're talking about with gamers apply to the people I sometimes see working in the industry as well.

With regards to the sexist character designs or concepts and such, I've not yet been made to work on something I've thought went down that path, but many companies fall trap to pushing forward character designs that do fall into that category so I was wondering if anyone here had any stories about the things that they've worked on and how that came to be. I remember reading in the DotA 2 thread that Valve has been really good about that and how they purposely didn't put "sexy" characters in skimpy clothing into DotA 2 even though they got feedback regarding that. It's kind of cool that they made that decision, and I sort of wish I could know more about their philosophies.

Does it seem like a problem that stems more from the knowledge that "sex sells" (which it does) with our target audience, or does it sort of seem like a reflection of the people that make the games? Or would you say it is an unfortunate combination of both?

I know there was a topic discussing minorities and sexism in video games and that this is a pretty serious turn of discussion for this thread, but I was more interested from a developer standpoint where WE think it stems from. I'd like to discuss it as unheatedly as possible, though, if we could. I also understand that some people might have to be extremely vague as not to stir up an real life trouble.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Shindragon posted:

Normally I would go to the game idea thread for this type of question, but it is rarely active. I actually had this question in my mind for a bit. I've seen a lot of programs used to make 2D gaming, whether it's a side scroll shooter or a platform game. My question is, what do people use when they make the level layout? I've seen stuff in Stencil used tile based programs. My question is, is it possible to import a level layout into one of these programs? If you want to know, I basically drew out my levels in photoshop, etc.. (yeah i know crazy)..but at the same time I think I"m probably taking the long way on this..

I've been integrating DAME with Psychopomps, and once you get over the eye melting color scheme, is actually quite useful. See: http://dambots.com/dame-editor/

Archetype
Feb 4, 2003

The once gutter trash Dark Hero has risen, like a freakish garbage phoenix, to capture our hearts again.
Looks like Turbine is hiring a Console QA Lead, for those of you interested.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Superrodan posted:

With regards to the sexist character designs or concepts and such, I've not yet been made to work on something I've thought went down that path, but many companies fall trap to pushing forward character designs that do fall into that category so I was wondering if anyone here had any stories about the things that they've worked on and how that came to be. I remember reading in the DotA 2 thread that Valve has been really good about that and how they purposely didn't put "sexy" characters in skimpy clothing into DotA 2 even though they got feedback regarding that. It's kind of cool that they made that decision, and I sort of wish I could know more about their philosophies.

Speaking as a very male artist, I am as bored of gigantic, musclebound power fantasies as I am of breastplate armour, boob windows, pantyshots and everything Japan does.

My annoyance with male characters runs the gamut from Kratos kill everything gleefully to DXHRs Adam Jensen who is essentially one parental trauma removed from Batman, the ever-popular nerd fantasy who is incredible at everything and alpha as gently caress, with their "flaw" being the antisocial streak that nerds typically share.

The root problem is pandering toward male nerds. These extremes of character design all have their place and should be employed sparingly for maximum effect (some women really would dress like warrior sluts and some guys really are 'roided beefcakes) but the problem is just that they're overdone. Subtlety seems to be a forgotten art in the race to stand out and be more baddass/sexy.

That said, there definitely seems to me among artists and creatives that there is a growing hostility to displaying ANY kind of sexual appeal or machismo, that a Good Female Character exhibits no feminine characteristics at all. That's jumping off the other end instead.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 8, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Pfhreak posted:

I've been integrating DAME with Psychopomps, and once you get over the eye melting color scheme, is actually quite useful. See: http://dambots.com/dame-editor/
Very cool. Also, anyone else get out of memory errors with Stencyl? I've got 12 freakin jigawatts of memory, I shouldn't be having this problem. :l

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Shalinor posted:

You know, I know this is a near double-post, but gently caress, that's the way I roll :c00lbert:

It seems like we have a few combat-knowing people in here, and I am neck-deep in designing a combat system right now, so now seems like a great time to ask questions.

The present system has a concept of damage frames and cancel frames, and I can put as many "blocks" of them as I want scattered through an animation. Cancel frames can cancel into any other move, so - I could put cancel frames before damage frames that cancel into a dodge, and then cancel frames after that cancel into the next move to make a combo (combos and cancels are effectively the same). If you fail to cancel out of the move's leadout, it resolves as usual and drops you back to neutral stance.

... but where I am running aground is in figuring out how the input buffering works.

If I do straight up input buffering with no limit, well then hey, I can buffer 2 minutes of combat and then I'm screwed. So clearly there's a limit. But even if I limit it to a buffer of X moves, and then even if I make certain moves (the end of a combo chain / dodges) clear the queue, it will mean the player is left there in a 3-punch combo mashing dodge but - oh hey, they already queued up 5 punch buttons, too bad, your dodge is move 6 on the buffer.

So is the thing I am missing that cancels ignore the input buffer, whereas "combos" do not ignore the buffer? So - if I am setting up a "dodge cancel," I want that to scan immediate input and ignore the buffer, whereas when I'm setting up my "combo cancel," I want that to read the next move on the input stack and, if it matches, pop the button off the input stack and play the next move?

Or is there some other way of doing this?

I will explain to you how it works in Dungeon Siege 3, which I think handled it well, not to pat myself on the back too hard.

We actually did no traditional input buffering. Instead, we stuck input "buckets" into an animation that covered given frame ranges in the animation. Any input would be collected into those buckets during those frame ranges. Then, we would add link events that covered ranges in the animation where we wanted the animation attack to be able to link out to different animations, and those link events had conditional support, so they could look at one of the input buckets and ask if it had gathered a certain number of inputs of a certain type(we could do >, <, ==, NOT, &&, ||, check for button downs, holds, releases, etc). If all of the conditionals passed for a given link event, we took that link.

It ended up actually feeling much more responsive than a buffered system IMO. The one thing we did not support (because we didn't want to do it in the game) was check for stick gestures (we could check IF the stick was being pressed, iirc, but not check for QCF for example) so it didn't support everything you'd need to make a fighting game, but it worked great for something more like DMC or God of War.

For cancels, we made Interrupt frame ranges in an animation, and flagged which actions were valid to interrupt during that frame (movement, blocking, special abilities, etc). A cancel always superseded a link within the same frame so that was never an issue.

Personally, and this is probably because I am a Street Fighter player and not a Soul Calibur/Tekken player, I hate attack buffering. To me it feels unresponsive, imprecise, and "squishy" in a way that I don't enjoy. I actually planned to have buffering in DS3 because I saw it as a more casual game, but we ended up not needing it - having the input take effect immediately worked fine.

djkillingspree fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 8, 2011

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Archetype posted:

Looks like Turbine is hiring a Console QA Lead, for those of you interested.

Ugh, this listing. I can tick off every single bullet on this list and there's no way I'd ever apply or expose anyone in my network to it because of "future designers need not apply".

I understand the desire to have someone who'll remain in a leadership role while you ship a console product, but this is an awful way to go about attracting candidates. This screams 'If you have any ambition outside of QA, no matter how baller you are, we don't want to talk to you.'

I'm told Turbine moved 6 testers into designer roles in the past year, so they promote from within, but you'd never know it by reading this req.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Just Say No to QA positions at Turbine (or positions in general).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Just Say No to QA positions at Turbine (or positions in general).
Not a great place to work, I take it?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Not a great place to work, I take it?

It's a fine enough place to work these days if you want a paycheck, but I left over 4 years ago and that was 2 years after they had released their last game... and they're still a ways off from shipping anything new. Glacial doesn't even begin to describe the pace.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
You guys want to see another hilarious job listing? Check this out. Not only is it contract, it seems like it's for Lineage 2. Copying mouse above, glacial doesn't begin to describe that game. It's been eight years since L2 launched. The community that's left on the official servers (a crazy group of dudes and their bots) isn't worth the money to "manage" and most of the game's true fans are on unofficial (private) servers already that are better maintained and policed.

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NCSOFT&cws=1&rid=990

I'm sure someone will apply for the job, but I don't think they'll completely understand what they're getting into.

Not trying to be mean here, just pointing this out as the kind of job listing that probably will never get a quality response. I find it entertaining that it even was posted. Maybe they tried an internal search and everyone in the company declined?

M4rk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 8, 2011

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.

M4rk posted:

Very cool. Also, anyone else get out of memory errors with Stencyl? I've got 12 freakin jigawatts of memory, I shouldn't be having this problem. :l

Yeah. Not sure what's up with that, but things DO start to get wonky after that memory notice, so I just take the advice, save and reload.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
How does a position at a VFX company look on a resume for a game studio? Obviously it's not worth as much as something like working on shipped titles, but at the moment, my chances at getting a job at a local VFX house seem a lot less slim than game studios for someone with no real work experience. I'm just curious how much mobility there is between these industries. Would it even be worth it to include stuff from there on a games portfolio, or is it considered irrelevant?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

M4rk posted:

Practically every time I did anything intensive. I think the official solution was pretty much "Close and restart" or you could could just grin and bear the slowness since Stencyl had a big memory leak problem the longer you used it anyway.

Still a fantastic piece of kit though.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

How does a position at a VFX company look on a resume for a game studio? Obviously it's not worth as much as something like working on shipped titles, but at the moment, my chances at getting a job at a local VFX house seem a lot less slim than game studios for someone with no real work experience. I'm just curious how much mobility there is between these industries. Would it even be worth it to include stuff from there on a games portfolio, or is it considered irrelevant?

What area of VFX? If you are good at 3d modelling, texturing, animation, special effects etc all the game studios care about is how good you are. I think most game studios would rather hire an amazing 3d modeller who formally worked at a vfx company rather than someone who is just average but worked in the game industry.

I think it has been said before, but basically with any art position your portfolio is 90% of your application, your experience, past job etc is a small part.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

devilmouse posted:

It's a fine enough place to work these days if you want a paycheck, but I left over 4 years ago and that was 2 years after they had released their last game... and they're still a ways off from shipping anything new. Glacial doesn't even begin to describe the pace.

Did you work on LOTRO? If you did, I'd love and adore hearing snippets about the development, especially the art side. I've spent an obscene amount of my life playing that game.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Watchlar posted:

Did you work on LOTRO? If you did, I'd love and adore hearing snippets about the development, especially the art side. I've spent an obscene amount of my life playing that game.

Ha! Yeah, I did, for some impossibly long number of years but wasn't very involved in art (though as a designer/engineer, I managed to slap in an awful lot of programmer art that made it live-- the combat reticule and the lightning systems would be the most in most user-facing). It's been so long that I'm not sure I even remember any interesting trivia, just a lot of goofy implementation details.

The original game pitch, Middle Earth Online, was so far from what it became. It was akin to a SWG in Hobbiton, replete with growing pipeweed, crafting smoke rings, and generally frolicking in Middle Earth. Then the movies came out....

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Applebee123 posted:

What area of VFX? If you are good at 3d modelling, texturing, animation, special effects etc all the game studios care about is how good you are. I think most game studios would rather hire an amazing 3d modeller who formally worked at a vfx company rather than someone who is just average but worked in the game industry.

I think it has been said before, but basically with any art position your portfolio is 90% of your application, your experience, past job etc is a small part.

I'm mostly working with modelling and texturing. I'm assuming a portfolio with just stills or some renders is OK even if there's not much in the way of actual games? I have other game design stuff to show (pretty crappy at this point but honestly I'm just trying to get my foot in the door SOMEhow) but it might turn out to be something like 70% VFX and 30% game design in my reel.

This is an internship job anyway so I'm not even sure why I'm thinking too hard about it, but I was mostly curious if anybody made the switch between these two industries in either direction.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

:words:

Just wanted to say you have the best name + avatar + title combo ever. :3:

Also, one of our tech artists came from a heavy VFX background. He worked at Alias|Wavefront a while back, did a few VFX movie stints I don't precisely recall... So all that experience clearly amounted to something when getting hired.

Jan fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 8, 2011

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

devilmouse posted:

Ha! Yeah, I did, for some impossibly long number of years but wasn't very involved in art (though as a designer/engineer, I managed to slap in an awful lot of programmer art that made it live-- the combat reticule and the lightning systems would be the most in most user-facing). It's been so long that I'm not sure I even remember any interesting trivia, just a lot of goofy implementation details.

The original game pitch, Middle Earth Online, was so far from what it became. It was akin to a SWG in Hobbiton, replete with growing pipeweed, crafting smoke rings, and generally frolicking in Middle Earth. Then the movies came out....

It's a really good game still, I've thrown an exorbitant amount of money at it. Though what the hell drove you guys to think the nonstop stun/slow wound spamming was a great idea :psypop:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Watchlar posted:

Though what the hell drove you guys to think the nonstop stun/slow wound spamming was a great idea :psypop:

There were like 2 stuns and 2 snares total when I worked on it!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

devilmouse posted:

There were like 2 stuns and 2 snares total when I worked on it!

Burglar is still the most fun class I've played in any MMO just from the sheer number of things you can do with it.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The only way I'm ever leaving Trion and heading back to Boston is if I get a well paying job at Irrational. I just totally want to work on Bioshock Infinite :3

I used to work next door to Turbine at Lojack's call center, I even applied for a GM position there but some other dude got it. Glad I didn't get it because I probably wouldnt have made the decision to move to LA and end up here in the SF Bay at Trion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Turbine's PR team, esp. the external ones (e.g. Elicia) are boss.

In fact, there are really two PR teams that I would say that are my absolute favorite to work with -- One being Turbine's (360 Communications) and the other being CCP's in-house team for EVE.