Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress yeah, first BJJ class today :3 It's basically just free rolling 2 times a week for 10$ per month. There's very little technique given there but I get a bunch of practice and I ask people to give me pointers and such so I still learn quite a bit. Will definitely help my judo ground game.

I got destroyed by some cheat moves such as leg locks, shoulder locks and neck crank but managed to get a kimura, a straight armbar (kimura style), a triangle choke and a lapel choke against the few white belts who were around my size. Also spent a bunch of time in mount/side control/north south being all :v: no idea what I should do now that I'm here :v:. Anyway, a bunch of guy there I just can't do anything against and I love it. I just feel like a little child who's wrestling with his older brother some times. I'm just happy I managed to avoid the 280 pounds blue belt behemoth. All the people he was fighting against looked like they were in pain most of the time and they were all bigger than me... Really don't feel like trying that anytime soon.

anyway enough :words:. I need to eat as much as I can and get some rest before my 2 judo classes tonight! I'm already spent, this is going to be ridiculous! Yay me! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
The only thing worse than getting tapped out is getting tapped out when you have a dominant position, ugh. There's a guy with freakishly long arms and he's managed to get me with weirdass kimura type locks from the bottom of side control and mount both and its really fuckin frustrating, lol

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

mindtwist posted:

The only thing worse than getting tapped out is getting tapped out when you have a dominant position, ugh. There's a guy with freakishly long arms and he's managed to get me with weirdass kimura type locks from the bottom of side control and mount both and its really fuckin frustrating, lol
Isn't that giving you an armbar?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
How are you giving him enough space to pull that one off?

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I swept him to mount and in the process he was able to grab a wrist with the same side arm and by the time I got on top he had reached all the way around my back with the other to have 2-on-1 control of the arm. That one happened a while ago. Today I passed his guard and I couldn't get into the standard pinning position with shoulder pressure so I had to switch my hips out the other way to fully get past his legs, and then I dunno, he got a hold of my wrist with one hand and that loving ape arm reached around my body to get it with the other.

I really struggle with him because he's super competitive and always goes 100%, I've taken to heart what my teacher and the advanced guys said about being slower and more methodical and trying to work technique, and it really throws me off every time I roll with him. Good practice for my upcoming tournament I guess :smith:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

a bunch of exhaustion drills. Feels good, man.
You sure you're doing it right?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
This jetlag really hosed me up jiujitsu wise. I need sleep before I resume training. It was probably a mistake to try and do two classes the day after I flew for 20 hours. gently caress me, this was embarrassing how exhausted I was today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nierbo posted:

Ok, it didn't feel so good at the time, but the endorphin rush after is awesome.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nierbo posted:

I admit to laughing out loud at this

edit: you guys are loving with my head I'm starting to find weird stuff like Judo interesting

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

mindtwist posted:

For guys who have to go hard all the time, that's when you need to pull out unnecessary crossfaces, chinning, all the fun stuff. Try throwing the cup and saucer guillotine on him.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCpVp203gk

Here is the morris tai otoshi. I do it pretty terribly, but to be fair I am just starting to learn it, and it was the end of practice. I think a main idea in this throw is that it is as much ashi-waza or koshi-waza (leg skill or hip skill) as it is a hand throw.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Interesting, our technique class yesterday was filmed by a crew from Finland's first ever "commercial" channel (founded -57 and on TV after as it exists now since -93). I knew they were there and more or less ignored them but hence become more wise as to their purpose for filming our class and the BJJ class after and the interviews.

They are doing a Fox News type program (i.e. outcome decided beforehand, cut and paste material to make whoever they want to look bad, look bad), out next week, regarding VIOLENCE and MARTIAL ARTS and the links found therein. Why now?

Last week two youths (both 18 at this time) were sentenced to serve 4.5 years in prison for without any cause whatsoever assaulting a public transport driver by strangling and punching him in the head simultaneously. When the bus driver (who never had time to even raise a hand) finally fell on his knees the younger one roundhoused him full in the face, because of which the driver fell into a deep coma and almost died of brain hemorrhage and swelling. The bus driver probably has to spend the rest of his life in a care unit away from his family.

The youths, laughing and bragging, walked off. They were however soon apprehended with many witnesses on hand. Defense, as always, says they have "since turned a corner" and need no punishment but the attack was so brutal and unwarranted even the Finnish legal system was forced to react (lest people start rioting I presume). The other guy was on methadone (under the counter), both were drunk and high on dope, and the one who kicked - and this is the punch line (ha ha) - used to fight high-level junior MMA a few years ago.

Now a certain tabloid style program is trying to find a target to accuse and someone got a clue the other teenager used to fight, and on their way they went. The people interviewed from our gym (the assault-monger has never been at our gym or even near it) said the questions were a tiny little bit leading like "so, hurrrr, in the locker room, do younger guys often brag or threaten about beating up bus drivers, the elderly and the innocent and why do you think they say such things?!" but they are filming at several clubs too - probably as many as they need to find their "controversial" scenes and comments, and I bet if we get any TV time it won't be more than a minute or two.

Anyway, interesting to see how this goes down and if the programs purpose is to fuel anti-MA sentiment or something else.

Oh and in other news the seventh day of exercise on row was for sure the last day, my legs were like hardwood. Rest of the weekend: rest (and maybe go grab a few pints. No matter the fact it doesn't really help recovery).

mewse
May 2, 2006

"Actually yes, bus drivers are the sworn enemy of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. We will not stop unless all bus drivers are stopped from their reign of terror."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

Anyway, interesting to see how this goes down and if the programs purpose is to fuel anti-MA sentiment or something else.

Well just all of you wear your pinkest and tightest leotards.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

"Actually yes, bus drivers are the sworn enemy of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. We will not stop unless all bus drivers are stopped from their reign of terror."

Yes a valid explanation, in fact, much better than the ones the defense leans on about "turning a corner" or the one where "he was not aware a full power kick at the head of someone who has fallen to his knees can cause injury, when the target is about to hit asphalt after, head first" (no joke - this was a major point for the defense, what the gently caress).

Also "both 18 at this time" means both now, the kick-master was merely 17 when he kicked the guy to almost death, hence only 4.5 years.

Of which he will serve maybe a year as #1 a first timer and #2 someone who did it when underage. But that's not an issue all the other stuff is at least for me.

kimbo305 posted:

Well just all of you wear your pinkest and tightest leotards.

gently caress, I would have lest I had been aware of the crews purpose! Damnit!

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 7, 2011

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Ligur posted:

When the bus driver (who never had time to even raise a hand) finally fell on his knees the younger one roundhoused him full in the face, because of which the driver fell into a deep coma and almost died of brain hemorrhage and swelling. The bus driver probably has to spend the rest of his life in a care unit away from his family.

Call me a bleeding heart pansy or whatever, but reading stuff like that makes me want to cry and makes me want to hurt those two guys very badly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Just had my cousin call me practically in tears.

She had her first fight scheduled for tomorrow, she has worked so hard for it, training, putting her architect work a tiny bit to the side so she could train hard, got down to 60kg for the weigh in day today, so did her opponent. She goes out for a meal with her team and gym, an hour later her head coach gets a phone call. The card is off, 4 fighters from one gym have all pulled out meaning half the fights are off.

What the gently caress. What kind of cuntish mother loving bull poo poo is that. less than 24 hours before the sold out event starts. Is this some kind of sick practical joke one gym pull on all the others and the promotion or something? Is there anything that can be done so that anyone who trains at that gym has a black mark and promoters are aware of that bull poo poo.

I am so loving pissed and she is crushed.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

willie_dee posted:

Is there anything that can be done so that anyone who trains at that gym has a black mark and promoters are aware of that bull poo poo.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

willie_dee posted:

She had her first fight scheduled for tomorrow, she has worked so hard for it, training, putting her architect work a tiny bit to the side so she could train hard, got down to 60kg for the weigh in day today, so did her opponent. She goes out for a meal with her team and gym, an hour later her head coach gets a phone call. The card is off, 4 fighters from one gym have all pulled out meaning half the fights are off.

What the gently caress. What kind of cuntish mother loving bull poo poo is that. less than 24 hours before the sold out event starts. Is this some kind of sick practical joke one gym pull on all the others and the promotion or something? Is there anything that can be done so that anyone who trains at that gym has a black mark and promoters are aware of that bull poo poo.

poo poo happens when you are fighting at a lower level, opponents pull out or miss weight or whatever all the time, they know you have no leverage and are just going to deal with whatever they give you

Not long ago I was training a 160 lb 15 year old for an under 18 boxing tournament, we show up and his opponent is a 200 lb 19 year old dude who is, no surprise, the promoter's son. The only thing you can really do is tell everyone, since reputation is a big deal and ideally if everyone knows they are no-shows or cheats, no one will sign on fighters from that gym/promoter anymore for fights

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

That does seem like a good idea and might be good practice for me just in case James Thompson get robbed ever again.

I just can't believe a gym would do that to other people. How can they even look at themselves in the mirror.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 8, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

willie_dee posted:

You're a 60 kilo twink, aren't you? Wear a wig and fight her.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

You're a 60 kilo twink, aren't you? Wear a wig and fight her.

Haha, close! I could probably cut down to her 60kg weight even! But that's not the problem, out of 10 fights, almost half have been cancelled, her opponent weighed in and was ready, its because so many other fights are now off, the whole cards been cancelled and everyone is going to be refunded for their tickets. So because of this one gyms actions, not only do their individual opponents get screwed, 12 other fighters have had their fights cancelled.

mewse
May 2, 2006

you can take a bit of solace from the fact that the promoter is probably 5x as upset as you are, having to cancel the entire event because of one gym is nuts

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Not long ago I was training a 160 lb 15 year old for an under 18 boxing tournament, we show up and his opponent is a 200 lb 19 year old dude who is, no surprise, the promoter's son. The only thing you can really do is tell everyone, since reputation is a big deal and ideally if everyone knows they are no-shows or cheats, no one will sign on fighters from that gym/promoter anymore for fights

now this is loving crazy :(

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 8, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

willie_dee posted:

While it sucks, without additional information we can't really say if the gym was being retarded or not. (They're probably totally in the wrong as you say.) However if they had an outbreak of staph infection, then pulling folks from a fight isn't bad.

But it is pretty suspicious how they all pull out at the last minute...

There are a lot more important things in life that are worth crying about. (lovely job issues, lovely family issues, health, etc.) Not being able to compete at a single event is not really one of them. (However I agree that it sucks.)

If she wants to go through it, call her up and see if she can get with her coach and organize something with the other gym. Like an in-house fight.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HATE MONDAYS posted:

That's pretty hosed up.

When I was 18, I was supposed to fight another 18 year old kid who was green like me. The day before the fight, he switches out and they switch in the 28 year-old Lion's Den kickboxing instructor with 11 fights under his belt. I was dumb enough to go through with the fight anyway.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
put the name of that gym out there. Thats an unreliable gym thats going to gently caress everyone over. If theyre ever going to have a fighter show up, he's going to either be sandbagging horribly (something like CaptainScraps said) or theyre not going to be worth fighting, because they apparently have no faith in their skills.

Put the name of that school out there so it can basically be 'blacklisted' or be known for its conduct. Same thing with specific sandbaggers like the son of the promoter story. Post it on bullshido etc, there will be a record of lovely gyms/untrustworthy matchmakers and that will help everyone.

Having a guy quit on you the day off, after you make weight is about one of the worst things ever. If he has a legit excuse, no problem, but a no show of a whole gym? Unless its massive staph infection, gently caress them and the poo poo gym they came out of. Budo spirit means you loving do what you agreed on, which is to show up to fight.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Here's a 2:30 video about Finnish BJJ training. That's how Lucio Linhares lays the smack down baby.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Ligur posted:

They are doing a Fox News type program (i.e. outcome decided beforehand, cut and paste material to make whoever they want to look bad, look bad), out next week, regarding VIOLENCE and MARTIAL ARTS and the links found therein. Why now?

When are they showing that?

Because, uh, i think they filmed me for that :ohdear:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

When are they showing that?

Because, uh, i think they filmed me for that :ohdear:

Interview or fight? :) They said they were gonna film fights too. I think it's coming out this Wednesday, 20:05.

ps. Finland = small. But I like it!

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Ligur posted:

Here's a 2:30 video about Finnish BJJ training. That's how Lucio Linhares lays the smack down baby.

I just want to confirm that this my BJJ club. I was not featured in this video since I have been sick for the last two weeks.

I can't wait for that documentary about violence and martial arts. The same team has been following conversations and interviewing martial artists on Finnish martial arts forums. They've got some good discussions and exchange of ideas on whether it's right kick a downed opponent in the head. I want that news team to interview couple of well-known MMA teams in Helsinki and Espoo where the gay skinheads train.
Q: Those swastika tattoos? What do those signify to you?
A: Hate

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Pyle posted:

I want that news team to interview couple of well-known MMA teams in Helsinki and Espoo where the gay skinheads train.
Q: Those swastika tattoos? What do those signify to you?
A: Hate

We have those in the US as well unfortunately...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxhx4d-w0k&feature=dir

Also for the Judo and BJJ goons, here's a video of Marcelo Garcia and Jimmy Pedro free rolling. Unfortunately it does not start from standing.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 10, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Hello everyone, believe it or not I just finished reading all 70 pages of this thread before deciding to jump in to the discussion. Although this may be boring to read I think it's only fair that I describe my experience level so that if I make any comments you'll have an idea of whether or not my opinion is worth anything.

I started out doing kumo jiu-jitsu (Canadian variant combining traditional japanese standup grappling and bjj) with a black belt instructor/roommate under the system of Hanshi Darrell LaFrance (who is his step-father and is a world martial arts hall of famer that wrote the international grappling rules). I started learning my first martial arts from the black belt step-son about 7 years ago, and he was my only instructor for the first year and a half. After that time he left the dojo I was training at, and was replaced by a heavyweight brown belt under the same system. I began training as a partner on a daily basis to the instructor of the karate dojo while he prepared for a fight (under the supervision and guidance of the brown belt). It was around this time that I was doing a lot of no-gi grappling, so my interest started to be drawn towards the 10th planet system. When the brown belt's time with us was over I began to teach no-gi grappling to kids and beginners at the karate dojo.

Then I started to get into MMA, and I switched to train at a gym owned by Jason Heit. He was one of the contestants in the first canadian mma competition, and an accomplished professional boxer. This is around the time that I first started kickboxing (5 years ago), and I had my first amateur mma competition (loss by judges split decision, 30 second maximum ground timer from which I had to release my opponent from a fully locked in and nearly finished triangle). In that fight I acquired a minor eye injury from a finger poke at the beginning of the match.

Soon after that fight (due to money issues) I left that gym, and joined the best local jiu-jitsu academy. The lead student/instructor, Ari Bolden, has two black belts in traditional japanese jiu-jitsu, a purple belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, and a purple shirt in eddie bravo 10th planet jj. He also is the owner/operator of the website/youtube channel 'Submissions 101'. I am still currently a student at this academy. The academy is affiliated to the Keith Owen/Pedro Sauer lineage, and all of our testings are done when one of those instructors come for a seminar.

I've bounced around instructors too many times to have acquired a belt anywhere, and my current dojo requires a minimum of 100 classes before testing for the blue belt. I'm at 60 classes now, so hopefully soon I will acquire my first level of recognition in the sport. Almost all of the grappling that I do in the dojo now is practiced in the gi (to acquire enough classes to get my belt).

I also work at another local gym (personal training/sales) that has a full gym, grappling mat, kickboxing ring and 5 bags (2 boxing, 1 muay thai, 1 teardrop, and 1 ground-and-pound). I workout and train kickboxing every second day for about 3 hours, and on my 'active rest' days in between I often go to jiu-jitsu, run, swim, climb or bike. My gym is home to a 9-time world champion kickboxer, and sometimes I get to spar and train with him and his team. The gym is also host to a axe capoeira team which is cross-training in mma so I often train with them as well. Sometimes (but rarely) I pay a drop-in fee to go back to my old mma gym and train with those guys as they are young professionals with careers that are fast-tracking towards the UFC. I should also note that it's at this gym that I've first started to learn how to properly hold pads as a trainer, and nothing has been more revolutionary to my striking than learning this skill from the other point of view.

I've worked as the head of night club security for about 6 years and been involved in many dangerous situations outside the realm of training. I've done seminars training with Mac Danzig (twice), Kalib Starnes (twice), Eddie Bravo, and Scott Epstein.

I've got a friend that is a Judo black belt, and he and I have had our first training session. I hope that we can continue to expand my standup game in that regard, but I've got no credibility there yet. We've also brought in a new instructor to our gym, and next week will be my first class in 'Internal Martial Arts' (I'm not sure of the lineage, but it's something like Ba-gua tai chi?).

I think that's probably a decent introduction, so thanks for reading and hello everyone. Let's talk about anything martial arts or workout related. :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Kumo Jr. posted:

Soon after that fight (due to money issues) I left that gym, and joined the best local jiu-jitsu academy. The lead student/instructor, Ari Bolden, has two black belts in traditional japanese jiu-jitsu, a purple belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, and a purple shirt in eddie bravo 10th planet jj. He also is the owner/operator of the website/youtube channel 'Submissions 101'. I am still currently a student at this academy.
submissions 101 gets a lot of flack online (basically for being bad), how is your experience?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

submissions 101 gets a lot of flack online (basically for being bad), how is your experience?

The more success you get, the more haters you attract. Ari has been posting videos for years, and people like to pick out flaws in his technique especially in the older videos. He never claims to be anything more than he is, he's a great person if you know him in the real world, and I think his grappling game is extremely underrated. He operates the Victoria 10th Planet affiliated school and remains on close terms with eddie bravo, and pedro sauer/keith owen have recognized, legitimate programs under which we are all active students. He's recently began a program teaching the local police force in arrest and control proceedures, and they seem happy with the results so far because the program is continuing.

I could say a lot more, but I think that should sum it up. Keyboard warriors are always going to talk trash, but Ari is true martial artist and his technique is always improving. He might even have the best incorporation of traditional japanese jiu-jitsu techniques into a brazilian jiu-jitsu game that I've seen anywhere, and in any sort of contest which allows wrist locks we are all at an advantage because of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kumo Jr. posted:

He might even have the best incorporation of traditional japanese jiu-jitsu techniques into a brazilian jiu-jitsu game that I've seen anywhere, and in any sort of contest which allows wrist locks we are all at an advantage because of it.

What kinds of competitions does the club participate in? BJJ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

next week will be my first class in 'Internal Martial Arts' (I'm not sure of the lineage, but it's something like Ba-gua tai chi?).

Bagua and taichi, along with baji and xingyi, make up the internal Chinese Martial Arts. Imo, some of the stuff they teach works, but most of it doesn't apply in combat. It's been ages since anyone in China has bothered to try using these techniques in an alive manner, so any bearing on reality has become tenuous at best.
That said, these IMAs can give you useful concepts about body posture and coordinating your movements. Some of the explosive techniques in baji and xingyi are pretty in line with what you're taught in other "real" striking arts.

Here's some sparring footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_642acVEa1E
Both guys are from the Bullshido forums. The big dude is cross-trained in a lot of stuff, but uses baji quite a bit here. The little guy is much smaller, which at least partly explains baji guy's complete disregard for defense. The shoulder ram at 1:17s is signature baji and has similar moves in taichi. The other stylistic element you could attribute to baji is arbitrary stancing and extremely casual stance switches. A lot of CMA don't prescribe stances.

I'm not trying to claim that footage is a great showing or anything. It's just that anything approaching real CMA sparring is super hard to come by.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

What kinds of competitions does the club participate in? BJJ?

It depends on the student. We have a couple guys doing mma, and lots that do bjj/no-gi grappling competitions. Whether or not the wrist locks are legal depends on the promoter of the competitions, but for the local amateurish "Be First" competitions (which showcase both gi and no-gi grappling) we agreed to have no wrist locks because it's too unfair to almost every other local gym (especially mma gyms).

The wrist lock as a technique has huge applications, even if it's just for a split second while you peel a hand off your collar or transition from one move to the next.

kimbo305 posted:

Bagua and taichi, along with baji and xingyi, make up the internal Chinese Martial Arts. Imo, some of the stuff they teach works, but most of it doesn't apply in combat. It's been ages since anyone in China has bothered to try using these techniques in an alive manner, so any bearing on reality has become tenuous at best.
That said, these IMAs can give you useful concepts about body posture and coordinating your movements. Some of the explosive techniques in baji and xingyi are pretty in line with what you're taught in other "real" striking arts.

Here's some sparring footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_642acVEa1E
Both guys are from the Bullshido forums. The big dude is cross-trained in a lot of stuff, but uses baji quite a bit here. The little guy is much smaller, which at least partly explains baji guy's complete disregard for defense. The shoulder ram at 1:17s is signature baji and has similar moves in taichi. The other stylistic element you could attribute to baji is arbitrary stancing and extremely casual stance switches. A lot of CMA don't prescribe stances.

I'm not trying to claim that footage is a great showing or anything. It's just that anything approaching real CMA sparring is super hard to come by.

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 10, 2011

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Going to my first class at Evolution Muay Thai in NYC tomorrow! Gonna get the poo poo beat outta me maybe! Yaay

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

Whatever that video is supposed to prove, it doesnt. First of all that tiny guy isnt a 'muay thai fighter' he looks completely untrained, and hes going against a much bigger stronger guy with training in a fake martial art. If the black dude just dropped the bruce lee act and rushed him and grabbed him and smashed him into a wall with zero technique it would have been a million times easier and the other guy would have been equally helpless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HATE MONDAYS posted:

First of all that tiny guy isnt a 'muay thai fighter' he looks completely untrained

Iirc, he had a couple years of MT training at that point. The big guy is trained in a lot of stuff. But yes, the size differential makes judging efficacy pointless.

• Locked thread