Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kazy posted:

Did you add the iOS5 beta repository? There was someone just a few posts above who had the same problem with the normal versions.

Honestly, the only thing I miss LockInfo for now is weather on the lock screen. If there was just an app that did only that, but kept Apple's notifications, this would be perfect.

Yeah, I was using the ios5 beta repository from bigboss. I managed to get into safe mode and I'm removing things (like SBS) to see if that fixes the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My 4 has been noticeably more snappy ever since installing the 5.0 GM. I can't tell if it's due to the new OS or because I only have SBSettings installed vs 100 JB tweaks. My guess is the latter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know who Dunson is but god drat the Dunson avatars are absolutely hilarious.

On the jailbreak side of things: anyone else using the GV Extensions?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know who Dunson is but god drat the Dunson avatars are absolutely hilarious.

On the jailbreak side of things: anyone else using the GV Extensions?

Yeah, they work fine except for some reason if I set SMS GV to use push notifications from the official GV app they all show up as being from '0000'. It previously worked in iOS 4, so I don't know what's going on. I set it up to check a specific label in gmail and turned on Push and the names show up on incoming messages then.

Phone GV is totally fine as far as I can tell.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

GV SMS was working just fine for me with the push notifications.

Speaking of, I was just emailing the developer because I had a bit of trouble getting things going with the Phone extension and he confirmed he is working on per-contact rules for GV SMS. :toot:

Good for me, since I only use GV for a few contacts.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

EC posted:

Musclenerd is tweeting that whoever owned the domain jailbreakme.com has sold it, and it isn't in control of the iPhone dev team. So, I guess watch out for that? It could pretty easily be used for malware, but I seriously doubt people here would be fooled.

Saurik posted:

...and tonight, jailbreakme.com was transferred to me (convenient, as I host the site ;P); so, going forward, we no longer need to worry! :D

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Super good!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fortis posted:

Yeah, they work fine except for some reason if I set SMS GV to use push notifications from the official GV app they all show up as being from '0000'. It previously worked in iOS 4, so I don't know what's going on. I set it up to check a specific label in gmail and turned on Push and the names show up on incoming messages then.

Phone GV is totally fine as far as I can tell.

Oh I know they're working but the apps aren't showing me for under Settings so I can't change anything about them. I should try re-installing.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh I know they're working but the apps aren't showing me for under Settings so I can't change anything about them. I should try re-installing.

Oh! No, that's because preferenceloader doesn't work in iOS 5 yet. You have to add them to settings manually. The dev goes over it and links to a tutorial on his FAQ page: http://gvexts.appspot.com/faq/faq.html

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well there I go being stupid. I'll work on that later today. Thanks!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Aphasian posted:

Five Icon dock works though. I'm mostly looking forward to see how LockInfo integrates with the new notifications. I don't trust the alpha.
What does LockInfo do that notifications screen does not?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Josh Lyman posted:

More plugins, pretty much. Also lets you put widgets on the lock screen. Though no doubt a lot of them will be ported to the Notification Center.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Josh Lyman posted:

Persistent calendar notifications on the lock screen. I liked seeing what I've got to look forward too without having to open my calendar etc etc, Nice to see the current weather at a glance also. Notifications still have a long way to go.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Josh Lyman posted:

Read email without unlocking the phone. Calender. Weather. etc

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I guess I misread the information about notification center, I was expecting lock screen weather and stuff.

Oh well, I will survive.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
In iOS 5, how do you enable the camera button on the lock screen?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Double click home while locked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

porktree posted:

Persistent calendar notifications on the lock screen. I liked seeing what I've got to look forward too without having to open my calendar etc etc, Nice to see the current weather at a glance also. Notifications still have a long way to go.

MickRaider posted:

Read email without unlocking the phone. Calender. Weather. etc
Doesn't the iOS 5 notifications screen do these things?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lock screen can show unread email and upcoming appointments and other things but it doesn't seem like it does weather or "your next five appointments" if that makes sense.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's the simplest way of looking at it: It's just a recap for what you missed while your device was locked. It's not a list of things to-do or an organizational tool of any sort.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Here's the simplest way of looking at it: It's just a recap for what you missed while your device was locked. It's not a list of things to-do or an organizational tool of any sort.

I understand people's confusion though, I think it was sold as LockInfo Lite in the previews.

I think it'll get there eventually, but not yet. iOS 5 is fast as hell on my phone, too.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I think the confusion is between what's shown on the lock screen and what's shown in the notification center. You can see the weather & stock widgets when you swipe down to bring up the notification center, but not on the lock screen.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 9, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I understand people's confusion though, I think it was sold as LockInfo Lite in the previews.

I think it'll get there eventually, but not yet. iOS 5 is fast as hell on my phone, too.

Oh, I completely understand people's confusion. I was confused as hell why nothing was showing up. Definitely felt like I misunderstood their sales pitch.

Fast as hell on my iPad too. So good. If only I didn't have to jailbreak to get my stupid multitask gestures :|

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

frumpsnake posted:

I don't comprehend good.
Lock screen and notification center are two different things.

Oops you caught it already.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A quick question regarding the beta repos, such as BigBoss or BiteSMS. If I add the beta repos now, and receive the respective updates, are the repos or Cydia smart enough to switch you over to the 'official' release when it becomes available? Or do you have to remove the beta source, and install the final release manually?

I'm just a little confused since you're pulling updates for 1 app from 2 different sources.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What is the repository for BiteSMS? I had to unjailbreak and rejailbreak a few months ago and I forgot to add the repository for updates.

Also, I'm on 4.3.3 and am thinking of keeping my 4 after I get my 4S since I'll more than likely be traveling to Europe multiple times next year; is the unlock still a no go on this version of the OS?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

frumpsnake posted:

I think the confusion is between what's shown on the lock screen and what's shown in the notification center.

Yeah, I was playing with the settings for notification center and I kept hitting lock to see if things would show up on the lock screen. Took me a while to figure out to swipe down to get the notification center. "Ohhhh."

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

What is the repository for BiteSMS? I had to unjailbreak and rejailbreak a few months ago and I forgot to add the repository for updates.

Also, I'm on 4.3.3 and am thinking of keeping my 4 after I get my 4S since I'll more than likely be traveling to Europe multiple times next year; is the unlock still a no go on this version of the OS?

Repo: http://test-cydia.bitesms.com

Unlock is independent of iOS version, and entirely dependent on the baseband version. If you installed 4.3.3 from Apple, your baseband isn't a version that has a software unlock available.

Roving Reporter posted:

A quick question regarding the beta repos, such as BigBoss or BiteSMS. If I add the beta repos now, and receive the respective updates, are the repos or Cydia smart enough to switch you over to the 'official' release when it becomes available? Or do you have to remove the beta source, and install the final release manually?

I'm just a little confused since you're pulling updates for 1 app from 2 different sources.

Yeah, it is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

maduin posted:

Repo: http://test-cydia.bitesms.com

Unlock is independent of iOS version, and entirely dependent on the baseband version. If you installed 4.3.3 from Apple, your baseband isn't a version that has a software unlock available.

Yeah, it is.

Ok thanks :hf:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I was really hoping for notification center on the lock screen. Granted I'm still glad it's there, but the lockscreen notifications are such a blue ball.

Also I miss being able to check my email without having to unlock the phone. I hope someone integrated lockinfo with notification center or whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like that's the direction some JB apps are taking like SBSettings.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm selling my wife's 4.3.3 jailbroken 3GS ($300; thanks craigslist!) and the guy wants me to keep it on 4.3.3. Can I just use the option in settings to wipe all the data, or do I need to restore as new phone using my shsh/tinyumbrella to make sure it's totally clean?

I assume I can wipe, then uninstall all cydia apps to make sure nothing is on it, but I seem to remember reading that doing so could cause some kind of problem. I don't remember the details and my googling isn't good enough.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

randyest posted:

I'm selling my wife's 4.3.3 jailbroken 3GS ($300; thanks craigslist!) and the guy wants me to keep it on 4.3.3. Can I just use the option in settings to wipe all the data, or do I need to restore as new phone using my shsh/tinyumbrella to make sure it's totally clean?

I assume I can wipe, then uninstall all cydia apps to make sure nothing is on it, but I seem to remember reading that doing so could cause some kind of problem. I don't remember the details and my googling isn't good enough.

If you wipe directly from the phone while jailbroken it will wipe EVERYTHING, because you're running as root. I'd advise against it.

I think your only bet is to restore in iTunes and use the 4.3.3 IPSW, provided you've got your SHSH Blob. Assuming that SHSH Blobs aren't iPhone 4 and on-- I seem to recall that they don't apply to the 3G but I don't know about the 3GS.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fortis posted:

If you wipe directly from the phone while jailbroken it will wipe EVERYTHING, because you're running as root. I'd advise against it.

I think your only bet is to restore in iTunes and use the 4.3.3 IPSW, provided you've got your SHSH Blob. Assuming that SHSH Blobs aren't iPhone 4 and on-- I seem to recall that they don't apply to the 3G but I don't know about the 3GS.
Thanks. Yes, I have the SHSH and restoring to 4.3.3 fresh won't be a problem. Thanks again for the advice.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
Does anyone here use the BBC News App, on a 4.33 Jailbreak?

I've had two instances of excessive data usage in the last couple of months, and thanks to my awesome missus, I've managed to pin it down to this bugger. I hardly use it, but first time was during the London riots, and recently was when I heard that Steve Jobs passed away...

Basically what seems to happen is I stick on live news streaming in the morning, at home whilst on wifi and catch up with whatever, then stick my iphone on sleep and head off to work.

This should mean a sleepy iphone and no more streaming, but somehow the BBC News app continues to stream quietly in the background, even after leaving the house when its now on 3g.

This chores its way through 330meg each time, and only finally gives in when I either finally come home and go back on wifi, or the iPhone pushes the app out of memory:(

I think I might put this theory to the test in the morning in a controlled fashion, but I was really just wondering if anyone else had been a victim to this?

I had orginially blamed lockinfo, as it was the day my trial ran out and it was crying out to be licensed, which I did at the end of that day, but with it happening again, I really do think it is the BBC News, the blighters...

tldr;

BBC News App noms half my data in a day!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pwnagetool IPSWs now give me a 1600 error when I try to jailbreak my 3G. Is there some sort of newfangled jailbreak for the 3G that will get around this? Most of the methods in the OP are (understandably) not compatible and google keeps taking me to incompatible software (greenpoison seemed promising but doesn't support below a 3GS). I'm using 4.2.1.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 final is already out.

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/121316307458195456

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

I'm getting a blank Cydia icon no matter how many times I restart and\or jailbreak. Anyone else gotten passed this?

edit: Not only blank, it won't launch.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm getting a blank Cydia icon no matter how many times I restart and\or jailbreak. Anyone else gotten passed this?

edit: Not only blank, it won't launch.

Not trying to be a dick: It's a tethered jailbreak, you have to go to "extras" and "just boot" in redsn0w each time you power down/up or restart. Did you do this?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

The Aphasian posted:

Not trying to be a dick: It's a tethered jailbreak, you have to go to "extras" and "just boot" in redsn0w each time you power down/up or restart. Did you do this?
What this dude said. That includes the reboot immediately after jailbreaking.
Fun fact, you can rename the redsnow .exe to anything with the word 'boot' in it and it will automatically take you to the tethered part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albedoa
May 3, 2004

What are your experiences with push notifications in iOS 5? I have a feeling the edge cases are going to be a pain for Apple support once it goes live:

* Facebook notifications do not work for me. There are a few other reported cases, and nobody knows what causes it or how to fix it. Restoring the phone doesn't help.

* Foursquare notifies me whenever one of my friends checks in somewhere, even though the option is turned off.

* GMail won't push notifications to me unless it's set up as an Exchange account. This was true for 4.x as well, but I assumed that upgrading and restoring would fix it. Now I'm wondering: were GMail accounts ever able to push? Or is it just me?

• Locked thread