Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It is yeah, and they pretty much pulled him off exactly as I saw him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do have to ask, was the circle-around-Kirei conversation with Tokiomi and Kirei's dad as silly in the book as it was in the anime? Not even sure why I'm spoilering that.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I do have to ask, was the circle-around-Kirei conversation with Tokiomi and Kirei's dad as silly in the book as it was in the anime? Not even sure why I'm spoilering that.

I think every one who saw that seen lol'd over how over the time it was for no good reason at all.

As for your question: No, they were seated the whole time.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 7, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wili posted:

All right then.

Is this the first animated aparition of Zouken? I really liked the guy whenever he was on screen, he dominated all his scenes. He has pretty much the voice, movements and expression I always imagined.

I think he's popped up in Carnival Phantasm, actually, even if it's only in the ED.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Endorph posted:

Just so you guys know, power level debates are basically the same as the guys on the Gamefaqs board asking who'd win in a fight, Goku or Superman. There's far more interesting things to discuss than hypothetical fights between anime characters.
Goku would win because when he goes super-sayan his hair turns into yellow cryptonite.

I don't see anything wrong with people discussing it since these characters are from the same universe and the creator has actually commented on this matter. It doesn't stop people discussing other matters.

WickedIcon posted:

I think he's popped up in Carnival Phantasm, actually, even if it's only in the ED.
He's in the OP on the platform on the back along with TA and other minor characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I've always kind of liked Zouken. I can see where the people who thought he was uninteresting in F/SN were coming from, but iunno, he had clear motives, a weird sort of old-man charisma, and Got poo poo Done. Way more than you could say for, say, Shinji.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zouken was out of his loving mind and a really good villain, considering I actually did feel sorta sorry for him at the end of HF.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't see anything wrong with people discussing it since these characters are from the same universe and the creator has actually commented on this matter.

I think distracts from actual analysis/criticism of a work: when you start asking who "would win," you're imagining the conflicts as if they were taking place in a real universe with cause and effect, instead of in a fiction where a real person is arranging events towards an aesthetic goal. Who would win? Whoever the author chooses, in order to make the work they wanted to make. Discussing it past that point seems like just scratching a strange :spergin: itch.

quote:

It doesn't stop people discussing other matters.

That's quite true, though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I imagined Zouken having a higher, brittler voice. Here he seems to be a rather hale old man, whereas Heaven's Feel revolves around the fact that his body and soul are crumbling to pieces. On the other hand, he should dominate all his scenes. He's a creepy, almost charismatic, sonofabitch as soon as you meet him. And a surprisingly rounded character for someone who could have been totally cartoonishly evil, like Gilgamesh.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think distracts from actual analysis/criticism of a work: when you start asking who "would win," you're imagining the conflicts as if they were taking place in a real universe with cause and effect, instead of in a fiction where a real person is arranging events towards an aesthetic goal. Who would win? Whoever the author chooses, in order to make the work they wanted to make. Discussing it past that point seems like just scratching a strange :spergin: itch.

Not to defend powerlevel discussions, but this argument eats itself to a degree. Characterisation and empathy rely on the audience "believing in" characters. If a character is doing things just to further the plot, I'd think that they're flat, boring, unrealistic, and generally not worth bothering over. Imagining a story as if it were a real universe is kind of the point of realism, as opposed to allegory. In that sense, "Archer won because Nasu wanted him to" stops analysis dead because the next question is "Why?", and you can't answer that without asking Nasu... which defeats the point of art in the first place.

On the other hand, you're right, and lots of valuable art depends on alienating the audience, or awakening them to obvious artifice, to some degree. But neither position is wholly correct.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Episode two is up!

Don't forget to click the speech bubble at the bottom of the stream to turn off floating comments and avoid spoilers.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Just finished it, Rider is the best, and 24 minutes is too short.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
CASTER :gonk:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, someone was in a hurry to get started. That can't possibly be Assassin's way out, though seeing him in the end credits makes me picture an arabian guy in turban and desert getup playing Laser Twister, which is the most bizzare picture.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Whoa, that ED is great. Especially if you already know the identities of all the servants.

Plus Saber is using a spear against Mordred there and that's just wonderful detail.

Oh man, the Caster scene ._.

Gilgamesh looks mighty fine and even kingly for once.

Cute Ilya is cute but Kiritsugu's relation with Saber is interesting too.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2011

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Ughhh why couldn't every episode be an hour long. It was pretty good, even though I'm disappointed at the lack of Berserker. Rider owns pretty hard. Caster and his master were incredible, holy poo poo. "My hobbies are murder. Murder, and stabbing." :gonk:

I liked how Assassin's one scene in this was better than his entire role in Stay Night.

The ED is pretty nice. I like it more than the OP (the amazing song helps). It was cool to see the pasts of all the servants - even if it was just still shots. Gilgamesh with the lion :3:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yay they really captured Caster's creepy factor! And yeah, Rider is the best.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh Rider, don't you see how troubled poor little Waver-chan is? :allears:

And great introduction for Gil.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Aniplex is letting Crunchyroll air the episodes a week after they first air for anyone who missed them. Here's last weeks.

Since there are a lot of people in the VN thread who just finished F/SN, can the streaming links be added to the OP for their convenience if they pop in?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Marin Karin posted:

Aniplex is letting Crunchyroll air the episodes a week after they first air for anyone who missed them. Here's last weeks.

Since there are a lot of people in the VN thread who just finished F/SN, can the streaming links be added to the OP for their convenience if they pop in?

Yeah, ok.

This episode was great. Rider and Caster in particular were pretty amazing.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I am tempted to make a business card that just says
"Unemployed.
My hobbies are murder and stabbing."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Oh Rider, you're amazing but stop bullying Waver! He looked like a little kitten when you held him by the scruff of his neck, and now I want to see him babysitting Ilya :3:

Wow Caster is horrid, but not as bad as his master. Don't see what his identity has to do with magic, though.

Edit: Thanks for the spoiler jonjonaug! I didn't know the story was based on a real person.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 8, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

House Louse posted:

Oh Rider, you're amazing but stop bullying Waver! He looked like a little kitten when you held him by the scruff of his neck, and now I want to see him babysitting Ilya :3:

Wow Caster is horrid, but not as bad as his master. Don't see what his identity has to do with magic, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais#Occult_involvement

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Got to say the greatest assassin ever getting caught in the open like that. It's a bit of a disappointment. Don't really have anything else to say about this ep that hasn't already been mentioned.

But I do have a question related to F/SN. Near the end of the first route Saber was questioning the choice that she made, wasn't she? So I am wondering how that works out with the conversation in this episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

House Louse posted:

I imagined Zouken having a higher, brittler voice. Here he seems to be a rather hale old man, whereas Heaven's Feel revolves around the fact that his body and soul are crumbling to pieces. On the other hand, he should dominate all his scenes. He's a creepy, almost charismatic, sonofabitch as soon as you meet him. And a surprisingly rounded character for someone who could have been totally cartoonishly evil, like Gilgamesh.

Zouken is voiced in F/SN, though? He sounds about the same in both to me, although I don't know if they're using the same voice actor or not.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I liked the Cthulhu mythos reference they added in. In the light novels Caster's noble phantasm "Prelati's Spellbook" the subtitle "Text of the Sunken Spiraled City" and it's a copy of the R'lyeh Text. I guess they decided to put a more overt reference since this won't come up.

Lostconfused posted:

But I do have a question related to F/SN. Near the end of the first route Saber was questioning the choice that she made, wasn't she? So I am wondering how that works out with the conversation in this episode.
Let's just say that she hasn't started to question her choice yet.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zouken is voiced in F/SN, though? He sounds about the same in both to me, although I don't know if they're using the same voice actor or not.
Masane Tsukayama voiced Zouken in both Realta Nua and in the Fate/Zero anime.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another great episode that not only met but surpassed my expectations from the book. Only wish they'd put them out faster because they're so goddamn good. I've been reading ahead in the novel translations and it just keeps getting better.

Assassin's little infiltration scene there was a great little addition, and probably good for a gif or two as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Let's just say that she hasn't started to question her choice yet.
Thanks for answering that. I was just wondering if this was a thing and the anime would get around to it or I missed something.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

:3:

Eight year old Ilya is so cute.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
^related question, when did fate/stay night take place? i.e. how many years have it been since Fate/Zero's event?

Also its pretty bizzare to watch that thing knowing how the whole event will just end up in the shitter during the grand finale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Skwerl posted:

^related question, when did fate/stay night take place? i.e. how many years have it been since Fate/Zero's event?

Ten years between the fourth and fifth Holy Grail War.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Skwerl posted:

Also its pretty bizzare to watch that thing knowing how the whole event will just end up in the shitter during the grand finale.

10 years between holy grail wars 4 and 5, and yeah Shirou has the cutest older sister :3:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Rewatching the episode again, and I think my favorite part is that the way Caster lulls the kid into a false sense of security is actually a thing Giles de Rais did in real life.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

jonjonaug posted:

Rewatching the episode again, and I think my favorite part is that the way Caster lulls the kid into a false sense of security is actually a thing Giles de Rais did in real life.

It's so urobuchi at the same time! :gonk:

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
I was so incredibly happy to see Rider and Itty Bitty Ilya, a.k.a. the cutest loving thing this ep. :3:

Then Caster happened. :gonk:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...wait, what the gently caress? If 3 years pass between the beginning of ep 1 and the majority of the series, and 10 years pass between that and F/SN, wouldn't that make Ilya 13?

That makes a lot of her scenes in F/SN genuinely really creepy. :froggonk:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WickedIcon posted:

...wait, what the gently caress? If 3 years pass between the beginning of ep 1 and the majority of the series, and 10 years pass between that and F/SN, wouldn't that make Ilya 13?

That makes a lot of her scenes in F/SN genuinely really creepy. :froggonk:

She's 18 in F/SN, not 13.

The very first scene where Ilya is born is eight years before the start of the Fourth Holy Grail War. The scene with Tokiomi, Risei, and Kirei is three years before the start. The scene with Kariya is one year before the start.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ah, I thought as much regarding her age in F/SN. I just didn't catch that 5 years passed between the scene with Ilya's birth and the scene with Tokiomi, Risei, and Kirei.

e: OH DEAR GOD :gonk:

Caster is loving terrifying. :staredog: I do not care about getting spoiled at this point, please for the love of God tell me he dies soon. :gonk:

e2: Okay the ending to that was loving awesome. Made up for Caster and then some.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2011

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But he said we would know him as Bluebeard. :confused:

fake edit: "Although best known as a folktale, the character of Bluebeard appears to derive from legends related to historical individuals in Brittany. One source is believed to have been the 15th-century Breton nobleman and later self-confessed serial killer, Gilles de Rais."

:aaaaa:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh. I had completely forgotten about Ilya's age. I also can't remember why she stopped aging when her mother sure didn't. I thought they were both artificial humans to some extent.

It's so hard seeing all these awesome characters and knowing they're all doomed. Rider had better be in for the most epic death in any Nasuverse continuity, like punching Gil right in the balls. I'll never forgive you if you bitchkill him Urobuchi! :argh:

EDIT: Oh man I can't wait for Rider and Gil to meet. Between them they will chew all the scenery. All of it. :3:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's safe to say at this point that Gen Urobuchi is literally incapable of not being amazing. And getting to see a nasu story without having to endure Nasu writing is simply incredible.

• Locked thread