Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

inthesto posted:

Is it so wrong that I want a one-off comic with Roy's kid kicking asses as a 4e warlord?

The interesting part is that a hypothetical child with his air elemental girlfriend would be a Genasi, which is fairly ideal for Taclord action.
:goonsay:

(Taclord bestlord)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

inthesto posted:

Is it so wrong that I want a one-off comic with Roy's kid kicking asses as a 4e warlord?

The collection they sold recently with the Dragon strips had a great comic for the book that had the Order of the Stick fighting their 4E counterparts, and 4E Roy was actually a Tac Warlord. Pretty funny reaction from 3.5 edition Roy when the warlord Roy used Commander's Strike to make 4E Belkar attack - "My gods... they actually LISTEN to you?" "Sometimes, I make them attack rocks by the side of the road. Just because I can".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MadDogMike posted:

The collection they sold recently with the Dragon strips had a great comic for the book that had the Order of the Stick fighting their 4E counterparts, and 4E Roy was actually a Tac Warlord. Pretty funny reaction from 3.5 edition Roy when the warlord Roy used Commander's Strike to make 4E Belkar attack - "My gods... they actually LISTEN to you?" "Sometimes, I make them attack rocks by the side of the road. Just because I can".

Well, poo poo, now I have to track this down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cabbit posted:

What are the other counterparts anyway? For some reason I could definitely see V as a Star or Vestige Pact Warlock. And I assume this was before PHB2, so I have no loving idea what Elan would be.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I have to imagine V would still be a wizard, furious that he's no longer the blazing inferno of destruction that powers the group and constantly outshone by melee combatants in terms of pure damage.

4E is probably V's vision of hell. Or at least, his prior to recent character growth.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

404GoonNotFound posted:

What are the other counterparts anyway? For some reason I could definitely see V as a Star or Vestige Pact Warlock. And I assume this was before PHB2, so I have no loving idea what Elan would be.

Elan would be a bard in 4e, because theyre amazing in it. V would probably still be a wizard for the utility.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

crime fighting hog posted:

Elan would be a bard in 4e, because theyre amazing in it. V would probably still be a wizard for the utility.

Yes, but like I said, this was early 4e, wasn't it? Bards weren't included for like a year.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, but like I said, this was early 4e, wasn't it? Bards weren't included for like a year.
Which is exactly why Rich didn't do a comic about it for so long. :) He talked about it in some of the commentary in the book.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

navyjack posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see it.

The collection in question is on sale at Ookoodook.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Aaaaaand bought.

Thanks, jerks. :argh:

EDIT: I was just re-reading the recent strips and I came across this

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html

Holy crap, Roy is actually stronger than Thog when he's raging.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 9, 2011

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

TheAceOfLungs posted:

So...are we supposed to wonder about the guy sitting 5 rows down, 3 columns over in the sixth panel? :raise:

I just noticed: it's a play on words. Thog knocked three columns over, and then five rows fell down onto him.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

inthesto posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html

No, he's stronger when Thog isn't raging. Notice how Thog changed to a deeper color of green in the last few panels when he overpowered Roy? That wasn't a coloring error.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure he's raging throughout the entire thing and the lighter shade is from the sand clouds.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Cabbit posted:

I just noticed: it's a play on words. Thog knocked three columns over, and then five rows fell down onto him.

Where do those words show up in the comic?

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Geshtal posted:

Where do those words show up in the comic?

They're not in the comic, they're in the title.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty sure he's raging throughout the entire thing and the lighter shade is from the sand clouds.

He is. I'm assuming the dog getting punted through the wall happened just in time for a new grapple check.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

inthesto posted:

Or just lucky rolls. V could theoretically beat Thog at arm-wrestling if he rolls low enough and V rolls high enough. That's how opposed checks work in D&D.

Granted the odds are really against V.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

I just realized that the 4E version of the bard is actually pretty dam close in certain regards to Elan's Dashing Swordsman class. Nothing screams Elan like Vicious Mockery.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 9, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I just realized that the 4E version of the bard is actually pretty da
m close in certain regards to Elan's Dashing Swordsman class. Nothing screams Elan like Vicious Mockery.

"Hey, Gelatinous Cube! Yeah you! gently caress you!"

27 damage.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Or just lucky rolls. V could theoretically beat Thog at arm-wrestling if he rolls low enough and V rolls high enough. That's how opposed checks work in D&D.

Granted the odds are really against V.

Not in 3.5. It's possible to outclass someone enough that you rolling a 1 will still beat them rolling a 20. Things like grapples count as opposed skill checks and skill checks didn't get affected by things like critical failures on a 1 and automatic successes on a 20 in 3.5.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Amused Frog posted:

Not in 3.5. It's possible to outclass someone enough that you rolling a 1 will still beat them rolling a 20. Things like grapples count as opposed skill checks and skill checks didn't get affected by things like critical failures on a 1 and automatic successes on a 20 in 3.5.

If Thog rolled a 1 and V rolled a 20, unless Thog has a grapple modifier of 20+V's modifier, V is going to beat him even without it being automatic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're supposed to be roughly level 13-15, aren't they? It's entirely within the realm of possibility.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Hey, look

nothing happens

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Hey, look

nothing happens

I don't know what I like better, the "you are ignorant cretins" bit, or the "how totally badass that fight was" bit. :D

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

nothing happens

Bullshit, the gang starts to come back together, and we avoid another lengthy fight scene as its made clear Tarquin isn't planning to stand in the Order's way. Its not giant events, but its definitely progress.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, it might not be a huge action scene, but this was a necessary scene.

If you're impatient, there's probably still a bit more action to come with the Elan/Durkon vs Nale/Sabine fight.

Plus there's the part where they'll try and break Ian and Geoff out of jail. That might get interesting, because I suspect Geoff was/is working for Bozzok and is the reason why Ian couldn't escape for long.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Hey, look
*snip*
nothing happens

So we've got the cat, Belkar and Roy in the same scene. Last we saw the cat, it had a Belt of Giant Strength on it. It now doesn't. So, did Belkar sneak the belt into Roy's stuff or did Belkar keep it for himself?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

It's a cat. It probably shrugged out of the thing.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

LashLightning posted:

So we've got the cat, Belkar and Roy in the same scene. Last we saw the cat, it had a Belt of Giant Strength on it. It now doesn't. So, did Belkar sneak the belt into Roy's stuff or did Belkar keep it for himself?

Isn't Roy putting it back on in third panel?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It also looks like Belkar shoved all the rest of Haley's stuff into the bag of holding (if only so it would be easier for HIM to carry.)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Iggy Johnson posted:

Isn't Roy putting it back on in third panel?

It's in the pile of his stuff when Belkar points it out, and then he puts on a green belt so that's what I thought.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:siren: :siren: New Comic :siren: :siren:

I suddenly crave some Darjeeling.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's been way too long, so I can't remember the exact details, but didn't Nale kill this guy's adopted child or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah.

He's also one of Tarquin's cohorts with the whole rotating empires power-behind-the-thrones scam, so I suspect he's a pretty drat high level.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Nale is so hosed.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Have we ever gotten to see a third-party character dish out massive rear end kickings?

Because this is going to be awesome.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, Miko beat the entire team that one time and two or three pretty convincing rear end-kickings took place in Start of Darkness.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Bobulus posted:

It's been way too long, so I can't remember the exact details, but didn't Nale kill this guy's adopted child or something?

Three of his children. Dude's gonna go all crazy lion god or whatever on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Does O-Chul count as third party, and does what he did and endured in his arc count as a roundabout rear end-kicking?