Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How does the Wii version of Tides control? What sort of motion gimmicks does it use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lareine posted:

I read somewhere that if you marry Alisa, you can't have children since she is a nun. How hosed up is that? You can marry her but never have sex with her since she promised chastity to a scantly-clad bitch who lives in a pond.
At least it's better than Sunshine Islands, where you can't marry her at all for the same reason.

And yet you've been able to marry (and have children with!) the Goddess in like 5 or 6 different games :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How does the Wii version of Tides control? What sort of motion gimmicks does it use?

Same as Frontier, the only actual motion control is shaking the nunchuck to knock on doors.

E: For anyone who sees this and starts playing Tides, DON'T take the Staff as your first weapon. It puts you at an incredible disadvantage against destroying both several varieties of monster spawners and a set of early enemies. Take one of the melee weapons, it will do you so much better. :negative:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 9, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FrickenMoron posted:

RFF is bogged down with the awful, AWFUL runey system. I'd recommend it immediately if not for that.

I would honestly recommend getting the homebrew channel for the Wii if you pick up RFF just so you can cheat the runey system. It's that bad.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm going through Ushi No Tane to find some tidbits on FF:ToT.

First, in case you aren't aware, a quick explanation of the farming system. It's unlike any game before it. You don't till soil, you don't purchase seeds, and you don't water. You use a wand to create sprouts on soil, and then you place monsters on the island to tend after them. Now, beyond that, I don't know yet.

And monsters are fed with 'cookies' that you can buy at the store. I assume later you can cook them too?

Now, each monster has a list of a few crops that they can create from the sprouts. Say one monster is Turnip, Tomato, Corn. Apparently the crop they can grow is determined by their affection with you. This isn't confirmed, but this is what somebody on UNT suspects:

0-3 FP = Only plants first crop in their list.
3-6 FP = Only plants first and second crops in their list.
6-9 FP = Only plants first, second and third crops in their list.
9-10FP = Plants all the crops in their list.

In-depth farming guide: http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=134083

When you're on the golem in the sea, did you know you can move in a zoomed-out mode? Press D-Pad Down.

Character likes/dislikes: http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=136039

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I really want to get tides but I can only find a little about it. The only thing I know story wise is the other person inside you gimmick.

[e] It doesn't even have a official site.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I'm on the fence about Tides. I've been playing it for a bit, and I feel like the game never tells me poo poo. Bought a fishing rod, because it seems like you can't craft it, and I can't find a place to craft health potions either. Also, getting drops to do any crafting is a pain, as I've got a crap ton of glue and the knife blade, and almost nothing else.

Then there is a character that only shows up on holidays and thurdays, but apparently not if it is raining, so gently caress you if you need to see her for a request, and it rains that week.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

You get your first fishing pole (and subsequent recipes for) by fulfilling Joey's request for a wine bottle (500g at the Inn). You also get a Flame Staff as the proper quest reward, so that's further reason not to pick it up as your first weapon.

Drops are pretty uncommon, the game expects you to do a lot of farming to cover up the fact you have to do a ton of level grinding anyway to not get pulverized when you visit your next island.

Jocelyn (the character who comes from 'the mainland' every thursday/holiday) is a huge waste of time and money. She's not even a marriage candidate, and appraising things out of chests usually ends up with some kind of poo poo item worth less than the appraisal fee more often than not.

The first monsters you can recruit to actually grow crops are Ants and those weird Shooty Vine Flower things. Most other generic monsters will do harvesting (Goblins, Orcs, Mantises) for crops and the misc herbs/mushrooms/whatever that pop up on the island, the produce monsters (wooly, buffamoo, chickens) will do absolutely nothing while on the island. Once you get their friendship levels up, you'll want to buy a scythe to chop down the crops that persist after harvesting (tomatoes, etc) for a chance to have your monsters regrow something different.

My immediate recommendation is to get 3+ Buffamoo and Chickens ASAP (even if it means dying repeatedly) as you need 10k to upgrade your house which is necessary to even begin purchasing actual crafting workshops. Eggs are worth more than Milk but only because Chickens are found on the pirate ships filled with more dangerous enemies than on the Verde island with the buffamoo.

E: Something else the game doesn't explain is even when you first release Runeys onto the island to make them fertile, you actually need to release more to open up other planting points. So while the first island only requires 1-2 runey to activate, you've only restored a small percent of functionality.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2011

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I'm on the fence about Tides. I've been playing it for a bit, and I feel like the game never tells me poo poo. Bought a fishing rod, because it seems like you can't craft it, and I can't find a place to craft health potions either. Also, getting drops to do any crafting is a pain, as I've got a crap ton of glue and the knife blade, and almost nothing else.

Then there is a character that only shows up on holidays and thurdays, but apparently not if it is raining, so gently caress you if you need to see her for a request, and it rains that week.

What Emalde said, plus if you go to the Dragon Shrine there'll be 5000G in the pool already and you can make a wish for monsters to drop more stuff. You're still looking for vases and chests more than drops from monsters though.

It helps if you go about the game like a regular harvest moon game where you have to divvy up your day, only instead of farming you're fighting stuff. IMO you can spend a good few days on that first temporary island you pick up (the request from Sierra about ghosts) killing and capturing monsters to get a good setup going.

If you end up needing cash, buy milk from the inn (or get it from your Buffamoo if you have one), then use the inn's kitchen to make hot milk and sell it back for a higher price. It's hard the first couple of times you make it, but once you level up it's easy. Also, haggle all the time. When you fail just exit out and talk to the person again and the price will be reset.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It emulates in Dolphin just fine in case you were wondering. Rebind the keys/nunchuck shake to your liking etc.

Oddly enough, I'm playing the Wii version with a DualShock 3.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Emalde posted:

Once you get their friendship levels up, you'll want to buy a scythe to chop down the crops that persist after harvesting (tomatoes, etc) for a chance to have your monsters regrow something different.

Even the crops that persist go away after about 3 harvests or so.

edit: And I'm not really concerned about cooking monster cookies as I just buy them 200-300 at a time.

edit 2: Does anyone know what upgrading the spirit wand does? I haven't noticed a difference so far.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 9, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Gyoru posted:

Just based on that screenshot I'm betting that her plotline involves being depressed about and finally learning to live with her HORRIBLY HIDEOUS DISFIGURING FACE-DESTROYING SCAR that NO MAN WILL EVER ACCEPT. Unless she's the town badass, but I don't see armor on her or a forge anywhere.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Emalde posted:

The first monsters you can recruit to actually grow crops are Ants and those weird Shooty Vine Flower things. Most other generic monsters will do harvesting (Goblins, Orcs, Mantises) for crops

My two Goblins are growing Potato crops just fine.

Static Rook posted:

What Emalde said, plus if you go to the Dragon Shrine there'll be 5000G in the pool already and you can make a wish for monsters to drop more stuff. You're still looking for vases and chests more than drops from monsters though.

I'm wondering if that's a permanent thing, though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
double post gently caress me

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Fairies are incredibly dangerous but so worth the effort. They're some of the best crop producers in the game it seems like, and also ridiculously powerful party members.

To generate a fairy, you need to find a Light-element monster portal in a shrine. Only certain portal spots will have a chance to be Light, so you'll have to enter/exit various floors until you run into one (an easy way to tell if it's the right kind of portal is that it won't actually spawn any enemies when you stand near it). Clean up every other monster and generator around it, and then go ahead and kill the light-element generator and the fairy should appear. Put some healing on your quick use and prepare to kite your rear end off with only your brush to fend off the high-speed explosives constantly flying your way until you've managed to win over the fairy.

This is pretty easily done in the Fire shrine as the very second generator on the first floor (the one in the middle of the pathways as you turn right from the first one) can be light-element.

E: I'd love some help in figuring out how to get recipes for loving anything. I've been doing every request possible and I haven't gotten poo poo for anything outside of cooking or carpentry. I literally have 0 pharmacy recipes, my only blacksmith recipes are fishing poles and katanas, the only time I got accessory recipes was when I cleared the first dungeon. Help how do I make things :saddowns:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 9, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Emalde posted:

E: I'd love some help in figuring out how to get recipes for loving anything. I've been doing every request possible and I haven't gotten poo poo for anything outside of cooking or carpentry. I literally have 0 pharmacy recipes, my only blacksmith recipes are fishing poles and katanas, the only time I got accessory recipes was when I cleared the first dungeon. Help how do I make things :saddowns:

Have you checked the Thursday market?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Revol posted:

Have you checked the Thursday market?

House upgrades, Rune abilities, and scamming bitch Jocelyn.

e: I think it's because I never actually interacted with the public workstations before now, I just went through and got basic recipes.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
how is the cast in tides?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Emalde posted:

I got a bunch of blacksmith recipes from checking out the forge in the blacksmith shop, still have nothing for the pharmacy though.

Agnostic watermelon posted:

how is the cast in tides?

Pretty good, not batshit crazy like in 3, but it's a good bunch.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How do you unlock the purchases for house upgrades? All I have available is the storage upgrade, which I don't need right now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Revol posted:

How do you unlock the purchases for house upgrades? All I have available is the storage upgrade, which I don't need right now.

"Other" for things like floor expansions and double bed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gyoru posted:

It emulates in Dolphin just fine in case you were wondering.

What build are you using? Can I get a copy? I heard there were some crashes/freezes, but if it's working fine I think I'll go with the Wii version since it's cheaper and being able to use my 360 controller is always a plus.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Man, Joey didn't give me poo poo after doing the wine request.

Do I need to up my friendship up with monsters before the harvester works on them? I've had a wooly and a buffomoo for a bit, and not gotten anything using it.
vvvv Yeah, I just talked to him in the plaza square and now he game me stuff.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 9, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It's a new HM/RF game, so you know what time it is! Let's discuss which fake little girls we're going to seduce!

Lili has a lot going for her because I'm a sucker for redheads and, more importantly, dating her wouldn't make me a pedophile. I also am interested in Mikoto because I like the idea of making it with a samurai chick.

Man, Joey didn't give me poo poo after doing the wine request.

Do I need to up my friendship up with monsters before the harvester works on them? I've had a wooly and a buffomoo for a bit, and not gotten anything using it.

He gave it to me on a Thursday, when he was working the market. Maybe the wine quest is just a prerequisite.

You need to have Monster Cookies to feed the monsters before they produce. That is the only requirement.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

What build are you using? Can I get a copy? I heard there were some crashes/freezes, but if it's working fine I think I'll go with the Wii version since it's cheaper and being able to use my 360 controller is always a plus.

I've only tested it briefly using Filthy Monkey's optimized 3.0-96 svn build without the Xenoblade audio patch. I haven't encountered any freezes and a cursory Dolphin forum search isn't coming up with anything for "rune factory tides" or "rune factory oceans"
http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=18884

It works in the stable build of Dolphin 3.0 as well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
When does the judging on Fishing Festival take place? I was out fishing until a little before 6PM, and everybody is just standing around doing their own thing. Did I miss it?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Revol posted:

When does the judging on Fishing Festival take place? I was out fishing until a little before 6PM, and everybody is just standing around doing their own thing. Did I miss it?

After 6 talk to the old dude again.

edit: you need to talk to him to enter prior to 6 as well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SnakesRevenge posted:

edit: you need to talk to him to enter prior to 6 as well.

Coulda swore I did. Haven't done it after, though.

gently caress, I did miss it. But I don't want to do it over, because I did catch some good fish today. Oh well.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Rune Factory: If we don't do one now than when wool we?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

God drat, I lost the fishing contest by 2 points. I got 2nd with 678, and joe got 680.

Motherfucker.

Edit: vvvv

I bought an apple from the general store, the strawberry is what I can't get.

Also I found out that you can move save data from the Wii to an SD card if you need to change systems easily.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 9, 2011

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

God drat, I lost the fishing contest by 2 points. I got 2nd with 678, and joe got 680.

Motherfucker.

Ouch, 2nd place for me was Joe with 591. You got screwed.

Anyone figured out how to get apples? I've got a request for an apple and some other stuff that I don't want to cancel.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

LLSix posted:

Ouch, 2nd place for me was Joe with 591. You got screwed.

Anyone figured out how to get apples? I've got a request for an apple and some other stuff that I don't want to cancel.

I'm assuming you need to find a monster that can grow trees from the tree saplings. (The little circle dirt plots that are by themselves.) Looks like you want a beetle or a squirrel.

Just took a look at the farming guide I posted earlier, and something I didn't realize: it doesn't matter what kind of runey you place on an island. It's not season specific or anything.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
maaaan I wanna be playing this so much, drat my distribution not having it til Tuesday!

Any signs of extra dungeons like RF3 had? I was really hoping for a long extended dungeon crawl with decent combat system. RF3's was really good.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SnakesRevenge posted:

edit 2: Does anyone know what upgrading the spirit wand does? I haven't noticed a difference so far.

The area it affects is larger. Doesn't look like it, but it does make a really nice difference on the first upgrade.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Where do you get the pharmacy recipes? I've gotten the first level of most, and even had the workbench built in my house, but I can't do anything with it.

Also, after seeing the first friendship scene with violet, I've decided the main character is a jackass.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I just found out that TOTT now has a jealousy point system that can accumulate when you pitch woo at multiple marriage candidates. I guess my usual role of being the town party girl may finally have some repercussions.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Also, after seeing the first friendship scene with violet, I've decided the main character is a jackass.

He's a loving rear end in a top hat is what he is.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

anivasion posted:

I just found out that TOTT now has a jealousy point system that can accumulate when you pitch woo at multiple marriage candidates. I guess my usual role of being the town party girl may finally have some repercussions.

That's why I'm courting Kana, and basically making Howard my gay boyfriend. He was pretty tickled by the bouquet I gave him.

Does anyone else find Cheryl really, really creepy? She's like, seven, and she's already so damned coquettish it's scary. Between her beauty treatments, crushing all to hell on her brother, and having the impression that a kiss on the cheek from her is something that could potentially be considered a reward...yeesh.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
One of my favorite touches in Tides is the random NPCs that walk arround the island. It is nice not limiting existence to 10~20 people, or feeling obligated to befriend every face you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I Watson posted:

One of my favorite touches in Tides is the random NPCs that walk arround the island. It is nice not limiting existence to 10~20 people, or feeling obligated to befriend every face you see.

There were nameless NPCs in RF3 as well, although I think they were less common.

• Locked thread