Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you guys so hard up for $20 a month that you are forcing yourself to use old, super lovely and slow phones with awful battery life to save that money? It's really not that much more, and the experience is completely night and day on a modern smartphone like an Android device or iPhone compared to Windows Mobile 6.

Last time I re-upped my contract, there either wasn't an option for $50/month SERO or I just wasn't aware or it, so I got the best smartphone I could while keeping the plan. I've still got 3 months to go before I qualify for an upgrade, but I'm thinking I'll see if they'll let me move to an iPhone 4S early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Akileese posted:

Apparently I have to make a new sprint account. It's telling me my password is invalid and it will refuse to let me recover the password. I spoke to two reps and asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same answer.

What the gently caress sprint? Seriously.

What are you talking about? You can't log in? I don't understand how you guys are running into so many issues. I've been popping into and out of my Sprint account since Friday with no issues. Got my phone ordered with no troubles as well.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I've had trouble with my login name changing, having multiple logins, etc. This has been going on for years.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

There is zero reason to upgrade to revb instead of spending that money on LTE.

No True.

Rev B is s software upgrade on most towers so its cheaper and easy to roll out than an hardware replacement like LTE.

Also, CDMA 3G service is going to be in use for years to come for voice and data even after LTE is widely available.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Grumpwagon posted:

I'll leave it to others to get in a slap fight about this (since obviously I'm not paying SERO anymore, so you know what I chose to do), but mocking someone for not wanting to increase their bill by 66% is unproductive. Some people want to have a phone that makes calls, texts, and occasionally uses data. If they're willing to sacrifice some speed/ease of use to save 66% every month, I think that's a legitimate choice. Obviously, for heavier phone users, it's a bigger trade off, hence why you and I have chosen to pay the extra money.

I'm not trying to mock, but it's a seriously terrible decision over $20 a month. I've seen how laggy and lovely Windows 6 ran on most phones, it was a terrible experience and my friend hated his immensely, huge load times just to open a single text message thread aren't "some speed/ease of use" that's a major inconvenience every time you want to send a simple text. Especially if people are getting 6 hours of battery life.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm not trying to mock, but it's a seriously terrible decision over $20 a month. I've seen how laggy and lovely Windows 6 ran on most phones, it was a terrible experience and my friend hated his immensely, huge load times just to open a single text message thread aren't "some speed/ease of use" that's a major inconvenience every time you want to send a simple text. Especially if people are getting 6 hours of battery life.

Let the babies have their baby phones, and in return, they should stop whining that they can't get the latest and greatest on ultra-low rate plans.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rhombus posted:

I've still got 3 months to go before I qualify for an upgrade,
I was just about to make this point.

Folks, the reason why old $30/mo SERO folks are coming out of the woodworks is because the Touch Pro 2 is just barely two years old. These are folks who don't religiously read IYG that are just now coming up on their two year upgrade, and missed the whole SERO Premium fiasco last year. Not that it would matter, since they were only half way through their upgrade cycle at the time. They're not necessarily crazy freeloaders who are holding onto $30/mo SERO until the end of times.

And my understanding is that they really can't hold onto $30/mo SERO indefinitely either. Aside from TEP replacements, even putting a "new" TP2 on a SERO plan requires $40/mo now anyways. And phones don't last forever.

For those folks:

Yes, you can skirt by with some out-of-date WP7 phones and lovely Android devices on $40/mo SERO. For anything that counts, it's going to be $50/mo to upgrade. Now, $50/mo is a killer price to rock an iPhone 4(S) on an unlimited data plan, even with Sprint's capacity issues in certain markets. The best most folks are doing are $65/mo for 2 GB data on AT&T, or cost-shedding family plan shenanigans. So $50/mo is definitely worth considering.

That said, $50/mo SERO while a great value isn't necessarily the best price. If you can get on a 4-5 person family plan, Verizon and AT&T service can be had for cheaper, but not with unlimited data. Also, T-Mo offers a number of plans that are approach cost competitiveness of $50/mo SERO if you don't need to upgrade your phone every two years and you don't need unlimited data.

For one, if you happen to use very little voice, T-Mo has a new "$30/mo Monthly 4G" prepaid plan with 100 voice minutes, unlimited text, and 5 GB/mo HSPA+ (throttled after?) data, with additional voice minutes at the usual T-Mo prepaid voice rate of 10¢/min. This is a great option because you can use any T-Mo UMTS/HSPA+-compatible device on it.

There's also Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk prepaid. It's not as good as a deal as it once was, but $35/mo for 300 voice minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited (3G) data with a limited selection of Android phones (Optimus V and Triumph) might be an upgrade for old SERO folks. No voice/data roaming though.

If you are thinking of dumping SERO and don't really care about keeping your number, I think the plans are transferable again, and folks would definitely pay to take a plan off your hands that allows them to run an iPhone 4S at $50/mo.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 8, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

quadratic posted:

I hosed up and pre-ordered a 4S with the unlimited everything plan this morning. This is a new line and what I really want is the EPRP 500 minute plan. What are my options?

Didn't get any replies on the last page. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

quadratic posted:

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before?
Regular accounts can't be converted to EPRP. You're going to have to cancel the whole thing and start a new EPRP account.

Furthermore, I don't know if you'll be able to create a new EPRP account right away since your SSN was recently associated with a regular account. If that turns out to be a problem, if there's someone else who is willing to setup an account for you in their name, that will work, and you can do a transfer of liability in 30 or 60 days when your SSN is free again.

If all the iPhone 4S preorders are jacked, you're probably screwed.

Edit: If it's the "Simply Everything" plan, but still an EPRP account, just call the SERO/EPRP number listed in the OP and have them change the plan type.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Didn't get any replies on the last page. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before?

Do you qualify for a discount through work? Even the 10% credit union discount would bring to pretty on par to eprp.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Sprint puts the 10 dollar surcharge on after the discount? That's shady..

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, you can skirt by with some out-of-date WP7 phones and lovely Android devices on $40/mo SERO. For anything that counts, it's going to be $50/mo to upgrade. Now, $50/mo is a killer price to rock an iPhone 4(S) on an unlimited data plan, even with Sprint's capacity issues in certain markets. The best most folks are doing are $65/mo for 2 GB data on AT&T, or cost-shedding family plan shenanigans. So $50/mo is definitely worth considering.

The Arrive is not outdated and has one of the best keyboards for any phone around if you want a keyboard.

Hardware only becomes outdated as the software needs more power to run properly. As it stands, everything runs perfectly on the arrives hardware.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Coredump posted:

What are you talking about? You can't log in? I don't understand how you guys are running into so many issues. I've been popping into and out of my Sprint account since Friday with no issues. Got my phone ordered with no troubles as well.

I don't loving understand either but it is. I can actually log into my account, see my bill, but when I go to the shop and try to add the iphone to my cart it kicks me out and tells me my password is incorrect. The hell.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ratbert90 posted:

The Arrive is not outdated and has one of the best keyboards for any phone around if you want a keyboard.

Hardware only becomes outdated as the software needs more power to run properly. As it stands, everything runs perfectly on the arrives hardware.

The Kyocera Echo is also a pretty good gingerbread Android phone with some decent power under the hood, I've had it since launch and its never given me any headaches. Until 4G/LTE becomes available in my city I'm happy with my 40 dollar plan.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

TLG James posted:

The discount only applies to the plan, not any add-ons under $30. The premium data is considered an add-on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Not customer oriented sure, but shady? Most Verizon discounts go off of voice only, not like they are the only ones.

And the best phone to get for $40 sero is now the marquee hands down.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
If I wanted to switch my 16GB 4s pre-order out for a 32GB version, will Sprint typically do such a thing if I call and ask for it?

I sold myself on a smaller phone based on Spotify and iCloud, but I'm having second doubts.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

Sure it is.

It's single-core, with a first-gen Snapdragon processor with 576 MB RAM, basically the same specs as the Evo 4G. It's true what you say, it can run all the WP7 software on the market right now. But similarly, the original Evo can run any Android software out there. My point was that the only phones that work on $40/mo SERO as of today are 2010 generation devices, there's no dual-core 2011 devices, which includes the iPhone 4S.

While such devices may still work fine, I wouldn't spend a subsidy to get one now since they're going to be less relevant in two years time than the latest crop of dual-core, 1.0 GB RAM devices. Granted, they command a $10/mo savings, but that doesn't mean much if one ends up purchasing a retail price device a year down the line or so to compensate.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Shed posted:

The discount only applies to the plan, not any add-ons under $30. The premium data is considered an add-on.

I thought Sprint had bundled it into the 59.99 dollar cost or whatever now and ditched the 10 dollar add on fee. I thought wrong I guess.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I'm a $30 mon. SERO out of contract. Is the $150 upgrade credit offered if I go to $50 mon. SERO?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

err posted:

I'm a $30 mon. SERO out of contract. Is the $150 upgrade credit offered if I go to $50 mon. SERO?
Yes, you get the usual two-year upgrade credit everyone else does, which is often far more than $150.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
No one knows anything, I know. But I don't want an iphone and was hoping for a Nexus Prime and am really really bummed to hear it is a "Verizon exclusive." Without knowing the longer term history of the mobile universe, how likely is it that Sprint will never get the Nexus Prime? Any thoughts about how long it will be? I held off on the Photon but wonder if I will just be waiting forever...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And my understanding is that they really can't hold onto $30/mo SERO indefinitely either. Aside from TEP replacements, even putting a "new" TP2 on a SERO plan requires $40/mo now anyways. And phones don't last forever.

What makes you say this?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

No one knows anything, I know. But I don't want an iphone and was hoping for a Nexus Prime and am really really bummed to hear it is a "Verizon exclusive." Without knowing the longer term history of the mobile universe, how likely is it that Sprint will never get the Nexus Prime? Any thoughts about how long it will be? I held off on the Photon but wonder if I will just be waiting forever...
There is a Samsung phone that looks similar to the nexus prime that just went through FCC with ATT GSM bands. It may be that "Nexus Prime" is just the verizon version of the phone. The versions for other carriers will just not be called "Nexus Prime" and instead be called "galaxy nexus" or something like that. Or maybe I'm just confused.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

What makes you say this?

Anyone who has $30 sero with a touch pro 2 is grandfathered in. new policy is any windows phone is a smartphone and requires the extra $10. For Sero users that equals $40 a month.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone who has $30 sero with a touch pro 2 is grandfathered in. new policy is any windows phone is a smartphone and requires the extra $10. For Sero users that equals $40 a month.
Yeah, I get that reasoning, but when the whole premium data fee change thing went down, mcguire specifically answered on his blog that someone on sero could downgrade from an optimus to a tp2 and go back to paying $30. That's why I'm wondering if this ('it'd be 40') is just a deduction, or if it's been confirmed.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I have a SERO plan and was paying $50 a month for service on my Epic 4G. Once I switched to the Optimus S, my bill went down by $10. I wasn't expecting that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RagingHematoma posted:

I have a SERO plan and was paying $50 a month for service on my Epic 4G. Once I switched to the Optimus S, my bill went down by $10. I wasn't expecting that.

You should have, it's in the OP:

quote:

First things first. All you die hards who refused to change from SERO, you have been rewarded, if you want to pay more money.

$30 - SERO - dumbphones only
$40 - SERO Premium - smartphones
$50 - SERO Premium - 4G phones

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Regular accounts can't be converted to EPRP. You're going to have to cancel the whole thing and start a new EPRP account.

Furthermore, I don't know if you'll be able to create a new EPRP account right away since your SSN was recently associated with a regular account. If that turns out to be a problem, if there's someone else who is willing to setup an account for you in their name, that will work, and you can do a transfer of liability in 30 or 60 days when your SSN is free again.

I placed a new order through the EPRP site using the same SSN and everything went smoothly. I'll either cancel the regular order by phone if they let me or just send back the shipment. I really should have looked at this thread before I placed my initial order :argh:

As a bonus, the EPRP order let me use the credit card I wanted to use, which the regular order didn't like for some reason.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
In a much less rage-filled question, I recently replaced a broken Samsung Epic with an HTC Evo I picked up secondhand, now I've activated it on the account and it works, I was able to change the MDN and the MSID. I can't get the data to provision to my account, though, as the MSL that's given on the page doesn't appear to actually work on other functions of the phone. What do I do in this situation?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Aside from TEP replacements, even putting a "new" TP2 on a SERO plan requires $40/mo now anyways.
I actually just discovered last week that I was able to switch from a dumbphone to a TP2 on sprint.com, and it stayed on $30 SERO. No issues at all. I guess they never programmed in the thing to make it say "hey, a plan change is required for this" as it does for Android/WinPho/WebOS/iPhones. Because that's what $40/mo would require - a plan change to SERO Premium.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

TLG James posted:

I thought Sprint had bundled it into the 59.99 dollar cost or whatever now and ditched the 10 dollar add on fee. I thought wrong I guess.

For advertising purposes they do, it makes it easier for people in the stores to discuss the pricing. A lot of people (for good reason) get confused by the $10.00 add-on. However, in our system it's still considered an add-on, which excludes it from discounts. Some companies (mainly public sector/government) are able to dodge this fee for non-4G phones due to their contracts.

I tend to separate it from plans when I have to explain it just to avoid later confusion with discounts. Most people understand once I tell them it's due to the heavy data usage from smartphones, and that it's our way to make sure we keep 'truly' unlimited data for them. It's still worth it when you compare it to other companies' plans.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Beet posted:

In a much less rage-filled question, I recently replaced a broken Samsung Epic with an HTC Evo I picked up secondhand, now I've activated it on the account and it works, I was able to change the MDN and the MSID. I can't get the data to provision to my account, though, as the MSL that's given on the page doesn't appear to actually work on other functions of the phone. What do I do in this situation?

Call support.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

Yeah, I get that reasoning, but when the whole premium data fee change thing went down, mcguire specifically answered on his blog that someone on sero could downgrade from an optimus to a tp2 and go back to paying $30.
This is a more recent policy change that coincided with the "$10 premium data" fee applying to all smartphones, not just 4G ones, for non-SERO users. That happened last Spring maybe?

td4guy posted:

I actually just discovered last week that I was able to switch from a dumbphone to a TP2 on sprint.com, and it stayed on $30 SERO. No issues at all.
Interesting. I'm fairly certain we had folks earlier in the thread replacing TP2s with used ones from eBay and getting the plan switch screen when activating it. Although I think they were able to get that moved back to $30/mo after calling and bitching about it.

In general the +$10/mo for all smartphones is lovely when you get nailed for it when replacing a broken device with a used one, but you're still under contract. But again, that's why Sprint has been pretty liberal with dropping the fee for folks who have done just that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beet posted:

What do I do in this situation?
As mentioned, call *2 and tell them what's up. Basically you want to do a "##RTN#" to reset and redo the hands-free activation. That requires the MSL which you might be able to get on the Evo another way. Actually it's "the six digit number" that shows up in the manual activation directions when you activated it online, if you happened to keep those.

In any event, tech support will walk you through the whole process and tell you the MSL when you need it (which is probably a good thing to write down for the future). Also, sometimes they have to do some magic on their end to actually get a device to reprovision itself, which actually it sounds like the step you're currently blocking on.

Do beware that a "##RTN#" resets everything on the device, which is probably what you want to do. If for some reason you don't, a "##SCRTN#" should keep all your data intact, but I'd just do a full reset if you haven't already.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

The versions for other carriers will just not be called "Nexus Prime" and instead be called "galaxy nexus" or something like that.
My understanding of the current rumor mill is that there's a Samsung device that's going to hit Verizon as an exclusive, and may possibly be the first device to run ICS. I thought the "Galaxy Nexus" was the rumored name for that device, as for one, Google has never used the Galaxy moniker to date and it would seem strange that they would.

There's also a Samsung-OEMed, Google device that's going to hit GSM carriers (T-Mo first, AT&T to follow?) late this year. This is what folks have been referring to as the "Nexus Prime", but who knows what they'll end up calling it. There's also rumors that it will support LTE.

My hunch/hope, which frankly is purely based on speculation, is that a device very similar to the "Nexus Prime" will come out for Sprint by Spring next year as a replacement for the Nexus S 4G. Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if it was LTE and not WiMAX, and might actually be one of Sprint's first LTE smartphones. Google is going to want some replacement for the Nexus S 4G on Sprint eventually, and I figure the one-year mark (April 2012?) is a reasonable timeframe for that.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Coredump posted:

They changed something with their passwords a month back where I could no longer use special characters so I changed it to something without them. Friday I try to login and it's no dice. I chalk it up to the IPhone and move on. Saturday morning I still can't log in AND I can't recover my password. It kept saying my ssn and/or social were incorrect.

I called cs who informed me this was a permanent issue and I would have to make a brand new account. I feel like it's probably related to my password issues a month or two earlier as I've had nothing but problems with the site since then. since making my new account everything has been fine.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
After I changed my address and ordered the iPhone I see "Premium Data $0 add-on charge" in my account. I am on the normal plan with corporate discount $69.99 minus 25%.

I had TEP before, but removed it (and like mentioned it was not discounted as it was an add-on). I figured it was a waste of money since I was in the market for a new phone, and now with AppleCare+ its even more of a waste of money since even if you replace the device it ends up cheaper than what you pay over 2 years.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
With a rooted EVO 4G, how much data can you use with the free Wifi Tether app before Sprint throttles the connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

dundun posted:

With a rooted EVO 4G, how much data can you use with the free Wifi Tether app before Sprint throttles the connection?
Sprint doesn't throttle like T-Mo does. But you may run into network congestion on 3G, depending upon what region you're in.