Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sindai posted:

Huh. I had completely forgotten about Ilya's age. I also can't remember why she stopped aging when her mother sure didn't. I thought they were both artificial humans to some extent.

In Heaven's Feel Zouken comments about Ilya being a "hastily constructed automaton" or something like that; basically she doesn't age correctly and she only has a lifespan of ~20 years even if she survives F/SN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Sindai posted:

Huh. I had completely forgotten about Ilya's age. I also can't remember why she stopped aging when her mother sure didn't. I thought they were both artificial humans to some extent.
(This is stuff that has been revealed by this point in the novels:) Ilya was conceived normally and then modified in utero by the Einzberns to be turned into a homunculus, however the process didn't work very well and she ended up being defective. As a result her growth lagged from the start, she never actually hit puberty and her total lifespan was less than 20 years.

WickedIcon posted:

Caster is loving terrifying. :staredog: I do not care about getting spoiled at this point, please for the love of God tell me he dies soon. :gonk:
You ain't seen nothing yet. :laugh:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zouken is voiced in F/SN, though? He sounds about the same in both to me, although I don't know if they're using the same voice actor or not.

I must have forgotten his :fsn: voice. It still sounds wrong to me, but hey. Did you enjoy UBW and HF?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

House Louse posted:

I must have forgotten his :fsn: voice. It still sounds wrong to me, but hey. Did you enjoy UBW and HF?

UBW was great, HF I haven't finished yet so my impressions aren't too definite. Overall I think it's a little weaker than UBW, but my favorite moment in the game so far was in HF.

(It's the scene right before Mind of Steel -- not the bad end itself, but Ilya offering to help you when every other ally is dead or gone and Tohsaka's about to kill Sakura for being a heretic. You're in this hopeless situation and suddenly the near-unstoppable force that spent half of the Fate route murdering you is on your side.)

It doesn't pan out, of course, but my reaction at the time was pure :haw:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HF is kind of odd. The beginning and most of the middle are pretty dull and meandering (mostly because everyone's worried about Sakura), but after a very distinct moment, everything becomes completely, amazingly awesome. Especially the very last battle.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

HF is kind of odd. The beginning and most of the middle are pretty dull and meandering (mostly because everyone's worried about Sakura), but after a very distinct moment, everything becomes completely, amazingly awesome. Especially the very last battle.

Honestly, if you care about Sakura (which you should, she's actually a really well-written and sympathetic character all things considered) the beginning and middle are pretty awesome. Not gonna deny that it definitely picks up at a certain point, though, the fights after that point are some of the best ever and make me really hope HF gets animated.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This isn't related to the episode but rather to the stream itself: What the hell is up with this 'null' thing on all the English comments? It reminds me of Reddit i.e. sounding totally loving dumb no no reason at all.

Not much else to say people haven't said already. Rider is just the best.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Pierson posted:

This isn't related to the episode but rather to the stream itself: What the hell is up with this 'null' thing on all the English comments? It reminds me of Reddit i.e. sounding totally loving dumb no no reason at all.

It's a censor.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

UBW was great, HF I haven't finished yet so my impressions aren't too definite. Overall I think it's a little weaker than UBW, but my favorite moment in the game so far was in HF.

(It's the scene right before Mind of Steel -- not the bad end itself, but Ilya offering to help you when every other ally is dead or gone and Tohsaka's about to kill Sakura for being a heretic. You're in this hopeless situation and suddenly the near-unstoppable force that spent half of the Fate route murdering you is on your side.)

It doesn't pan out, of course, but my reaction at the time was pure :haw:

HF is basically terrible for most of the first 3/4 (aside of a few scenes with Kirei and Ilya) because Sakura is an awful character and basically everyone who is interesting is killed off. The entire last act is a gigantic series of :black101: as gently caress battles (plus more Kirei and Ilya) though, and that makes the slog worth it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

From what I can tell, they put a rather indiscriminate censor on the comments where stuff gets nulled rather than just blocked. Kinda weird, since there's nothing like that on the Japanese version and I don't know that they need to keep it family friendly, but whatever.

Anyway, the Japanese don't seem to understand the concept of words separated by spaces, and one of the blocked words appears to be "Fat". So we're all watching Nulle/Zero.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, if you care about Sakura (which you should, she's actually a really well-written and sympathetic character all things considered) the beginning and middle are pretty awesome.

Sakura's my favorite heroine and all, and it does make perfect sense for everyone to just stop and hover over her, but it really does make HF pretty drat dull. F/HA did a lot more to make me like Sakura than F/SN, really.

quote:

Not gonna deny that it definitely picks up at a certain point, though, the fights after that point are some of the best ever and make me really hope HF gets animated.

I'd be happy just to see Sparks Liner High and All The Evil/Good In This World. Still disappointed that out of all of Shirou's most awesome moments, his confrontation with Archer and Nine Lives Blade Works were the only things that got into Battle Moon Wars. Though I guess Shiki got off even worse.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 9, 2011

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
something worth posting with regards to the ED images.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-4499.html

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That is rad as hell. UFOTable owns.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

That is rad as hell. UFOTable owns.

Wow that's really awesome. I noticed the Saber one when I mentioned the spear but the other ones are also really cool.

UFOTable really rocks. If they're delaying the second season, I'm sure it's only to make sure the quality remains awesome.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

Wow that's really awesome. I noticed the Saber one when I mentioned the spear but the other ones are also really cool.

UFOTable really rocks. If they're delaying the second season, I'm sure it's only to make sure the quality remains awesome.
I initially just thought the Saber one was because that's how Saber and Mordred are shown to fight in the artbook illustration.

But yeah holy poo poo, UFOTable amazes me with this.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

The best part of Carnival Phantasm is the Alleyway Alliance. It is my greatest lamentation in life that I can't find any way of getting their pose animation to fit SA avatar restrictions.

But yeah, that first episode was really good, especially for something that was 99% set-up.

This is probably way late but

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seeing that convinced me to try watching Carnival Phantasm.

I don't think I've seen so many WTF moments in such a short amount of time for a while.

EDIT: Gaaaaaahhhhh why are all of the Tsukihime characters in their fanon personas. I know this is a humor anime but sheesh.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 10, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Seeing that convinced me to try watching Carnival Phantasm.

I don't think I've seen so many WTF moments in such a short amount of time for a while.

EDIT: Gaaaaaahhhhh why are all of the Tsukihime characters in their fanon personas. I know this is a humor anime but sheesh.

Because that's how they tend to act in Melty Blood, Kagetsu, and Take Moon. Except CP is usually not as funny as any of those, especially those godawful alleyway segments.

I might rage more at CP than is really needed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

No idea about Take Moon, but even in the more WTF scenes of KT (which was a dream anyways so it's justified) and (the original) MB, the Tsukihime characters were never that bad.

But second episode of CP and oh look Akiha is fantasizing about Shiki and Hisui is doing that weird mind control thing that's great.

Oh well, still funny. V:v:V.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

How can you hate the Alleyway Alliance, it's the best thing in the show. Which was within my calculations.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just watched UBW for the first time. It seemed quite good to me, though I haven't played the game. Shirou was still Shirou, but he didn't annoy me nearly as much as in the series. Possibly because he didn't have as much time to do so.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

How can you hate the Alleyway Alliance, it's the best thing in the show. Which was within my calculations.

Because it's the same punchline over and over, and it wasn't even funny the first time. It's never a good setup, it makes no real use of Sion or Riez, and it's just generally lazy. If this is what Japanese standup is actually like I weep for that country.

BlitzBlast posted:

No idea about Take Moon, but even in the more WTF scenes of KT (which was a dream anyways so it's justified) and (the original) MB, the Tsukihime characters were never that bad.

But second episode of CP and oh look Akiha is fantasizing about Shiki and Hisui is doing that weird mind control thing that's great.

Oh well, still funny. V:v:V.
The weird poo poo in KT sort of carries over to the MB games as their real characterization (see: delightfully mad Kohaku). Mind Control is also from Hisui-Chan inversion impulse... which is fanmade so nevermind, that would be fanon.

Take Moon is the manga that CP is based on (it's not an real adaptation though, it's just drawing from the same ideas), only it's actually funny for the most part and not ever chapter is actually a full blown comedy (there's a chapter where SHIKI meets Arhihiko that I absolutely love).

Really the problem with Carnival Phantasm is that most possible goofy Type Moon jokes have already been driven into the ground by previous works and by the enormous doujin community so it doesn't actually have much left for it to do. THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T JUST MILK FATE FOREVER NASU, YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY RELEASE NEW MATERIAL.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I just watched UBW for the first time. It seemed quite good to me, though I haven't played the game. Shirou was still Shirou, but he didn't annoy me nearly as much as in the series. Possibly because he didn't have as much time to do so.
You need to play the game. Shirou in the anime is not Shirou at all, they completely ruin him (as DEEN does with most things).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

How is it the best thing? There's absolutely nothing funny about it at all.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Rodyle posted:

You need to play the game. Shirou in the anime is not Shirou at all, they completely ruin him (as DEEN does with most things).
Type Moon does not make Mac versions of their games, sadly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I've basically got no idea what's going on. Rider's interesting, Caster is a freaky fish man, Assassin is full of holes. Guessing Kotomine's plan wasn't that straightforward though. Saber and Archer are pretty much as I'd expect. I want to see more of Berserker soon though. The design really makes me think of Dark Souls. Just need Lancer now and that's the full set I guess.

Going to be cautious with spoilers, this series seems really interesting so far.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Isn't there some program that lets you play PC games on the Mac?

That's actually a genuine question by the way, I recall Linux has something like that, called "wine" or something.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Seorin's LP of it is great if you ever want to read it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

McDragon posted:

Well, I've basically got no idea what's going on. Rider's interesting

He, Alexander the Great, seems like a fun guy to party with.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Rodyle posted:

That's actually a genuine question by the way, I recall Linux has something like that, called "wine" or something.

There are a few options for that, but I think they all still require a copy of Windows, which I lack.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, a lot of these replies from people who don't know what's coming are really funny. Next week can't come soon enough.

McDragon posted:

I want to see more of Berserker soon though. The design really makes me think of Dark Souls. Just need Lancer now and that's the full set I guess.

Unfortunately, most of Berserker's best scenes will probably wind up in the second half of the series IIRC. He's also the only servant whose identity stays a secret for any real length of time, so watch out for spoilers about him in particular.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Well, that was much better than that first episode, which wasn't exactly bad to begin with. The first episode was drowning in self-seriousness, but that's been more than rectified. I find myself waiting for the Order of the Triad to make an appearance. Even if they don't, I'm going to assume this takes place in the same universe as The Venture Bros. unless it states otherwise; though it likely won't happen, Patrick Warburton would make an ideal Rider in a dub of this; and Waver has the twinkle and shine of a certain younger Rusty Venture. This show is crazy and also sort of stupid in an enjoyable way.

It should be a musical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Because it's the same punchline over and over, and it wasn't even funny the first time. It's never a good setup, it makes no real use of Sion or Riez, and it's just generally lazy. If this is what Japanese standup is actually like I weep for that country
Except it's not the same punchline? Not that I can tell, anyway.

Also Carnival Phantasm overdid some jokes (The Volleyball episode was kind of awful, save for Len's castle in the background) but stuff like the Holy Grail Game Show made up for it.

EDIT: Also, thanks AnacondaHL! I'll probably grab myself that soonish.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2011

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I was kind of thinking about reading Fate/Zero, but I think I'll just watch this through instead. Loving Rider so far, he's the greatest. :D

Also, Illya is literally that chick from Orphan. :psyduck:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rodyle posted:

The beauty of OSX being built on a Unix backend is that Wine has been ported to it as well. Ask in the Mac Gaming thread in Games if you want to know more, I'm not too knowledgeable about it.

F/SN runs fine in WINE, though, and ONScripter is open-source so you can run Tsukihime natively if you have the data files.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

Also Carnival Phantasm overdid some jokes (The Volleyball episode was kind of awful, save for Len's castle in the background) but stuff like the Holy Grail Game Show made up for it.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that the only good parts of Carnival Phantasm are the F/SN segments. 99% of the Tsukihime segments make me want to kill myself.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Sakura got a single voiced line. :smith:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 10, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked CP in general but my favorite parts were the Tiger Dojos by far, which felt like they were lifted straight out of FSN proper.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

BlitzBlast posted:

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that the only good parts of Carnival Phantasm are the F/SN segments. 99% of the Tsukihime segments make me want to kill myself.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Sakura got a single voiced line. :smith:

which episodes/parts have f/sn segment?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All four, though episode 2 is mostly Tsukihime. Episode 1 is pretty much pure F/SN, though, so it's the best.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Best scenes are the ones with all the Neko's, duh. That and all the times Lancer is getting killed in the background.

Fate/Zero Rider is amazing I sincerely hope not a single one of his scenes gets cut in this adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Best scenes are the ones with all the Neko's, duh. That and all the times Lancer is getting killed in the background.

Well, now I feel like I have to rewatch Carnival Phantasm because I only remember seeing this one time, and it took me a bit to get the joke.

That or I should stop being lazy and finish Fate and move on to UBW. :v:

• Locked thread