Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It doesn't. It's really only useful if you have dozens of gigantic RAW files open in Photoshop at once. In which case, it's fantastic!

It would probably be really useful if you tried to game on an external monitor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

It would probably be really useful if you tried to game on an external monitor though.
Nah 1GB vs. 2GB of video RAM really makes no difference right now, even at 2560x1600.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
even with AA cranked?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
The wireless card on my 2007 Macbook Pro just went out and I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for a new one. I actually keep this hooked up as a desktop unit so it's stationary at the moment. Is there an affordable solution for this? Like a cheap wireless USB dongle that is OSX compatible? I really don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to have this replaced.

Edit: I am running Lion if that helps.

Edit 2: Looks like this one (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWA-13...d=1N7LCVLQOW9DX) is OSX compatible. I will give it a shot

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 8, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

fleshweasel posted:

even with AA cranked?

Even with.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

even with AA cranked?
Yep. Look up reviews of the 6950 1GB (which came out after the 2GB version, so they're usually compared against each other) and you'll see that they're neck and neck in modern games, even at 2560x1600 with everything cranked. Even with "only" 1GB of VRAM, you'll pretty much always hit the rendering limitations of the GPU first.

edit: there might be one or two games that heavily favor video RAM (I've heard GTA4 thrown around) but those are generally considered un-omptimized messes anyway and aren't benchmarked.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 8, 2011

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Windows on a Mac is Windows on a PC. Just be sure to grab the newer Catalyst drivers than what Boot Camp comes with and you'll be fine.

Do you mean the ones from ATI's website? I always get an error from those that they don't support my card and that I should contact my laptop manufacturer (15" with the 6750, for reference).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

computer parts posted:

Do you mean the ones from ATI's website? I always get an error from those that they don't support my card and that I should contact my laptop manufacturer (15" with the 6750, for reference).
When's the last time you tried? AMD lifted the OEM driver restriction on their Catalyst suite not too long ago. I remember trying around April and it gave me the error you described, but I've has no problems since August.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

When's the last time you tried? AMD lifted the OEM driver restriction on their Catalyst suite not too long ago. I remember trying around April and it gave me the error you described, but I've has no problems since August.

I just tried it; apparently the desktop suite doesn't have my driver, and trying to download the mobility driver application results in a similar error ("your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"). I tried uninstalling my current driver, but no luck so far.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nah 1GB vs. 2GB of video RAM really makes no difference right now, even at 2560x1600.

People were reporting ~1500MB VRAM usage on BF3 with 2560x1600 (or maybe it was surround 2x 1920x1080), so games are getting closer to it, but I don't think 2GB is even worth looking at unless you're at these top tier resolutions. Even then, current generation would still be GPU limited I think.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

computer parts posted:

I just tried it; apparently the desktop suite doesn't have my driver, and trying to download the mobility driver application results in a similar error ("your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"). I tried uninstalling my current driver, but no luck so far.

Yeah, even the latest 11.9 Catalysts don't support the 2011 MacBook Pros. I have had success with installing the 11.8 preview drivers and the 11.6 preview drivers, because apparently they have the right hardware identifiers in them, but not the 11.9s. I use Apple computers specifically so I don't have to deal with Windows driver crap anymore so this is pretty frustrating.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst118DriverPreview.aspx

Edit: also maybe the 11.10 preview drivers will work?
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU122AMDCat1110PreDriverV2.aspx

Which one exactly did you download? The full desktop installer will pretend to install, but won't actually install new graphics drivers. Do a custom install and you'll see graphics drivers are not selected for install.

Aside: I'm currently experiencing graphics corruption in ME2 and in AC:B, but it doesn't occur in Mac AC:B, so I don't know what to make of that. I don't think I messed with drivers or anything before it cropped up.

chimz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 9, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think I've been spoiled by my 13" MBP and the 7 hours of battery life. I get a hair over four with my 11" Air (wifi on and brightness around 75%). I certainly can't complain but it's a pretty big hit. At least it's not my stepdad's $299 Acer that almost lasts 2 hours.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Looking at getting a 27" iMac

1. Is it possible to use it as an external display for a non-apple laptop (sony vaio S series)?

2. Pretty sure it takes 3.5" hard-drives, is it in anyway difficult to add a second 3.5" drive?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sang- posted:

Looking at getting a 27" iMac

1. Is it possible to use it as an external display for a non-apple laptop (sony vaio S series)?

2. Pretty sure it takes 3.5" hard-drives, is it in anyway difficult to add a second 3.5" drive?

Only the 2010 models, the 2011 eliminated a function of Target display and now only allows you to connect a Thunderbolt equipped Mac for this use.

And I don't think adding a second desktop sized drive is possible, maybe a 2.5" but I'm sure someone else can answer this better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, you definitely can't add a second 3.5" HDD internally. There are 3 SATA ports internally so you can add hard disk that way if you want to be ghetto about it.
There is space for a 2.5" HDD (intended for a SSD) inside but connecting a drive to it raises further issues.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: v Sorry. I was worried it's a dumb question...and it probably is. Removed Coconut from the computer, suddenly I am happy again.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 9, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish Coconut Battery would be banned from this thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

I wish Coconut Battery would be banned from this thread.

Ditto for Xbench.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, you definitely can't add a second 3.5" HDD internally. There are 3 SATA ports internally so you can add hard disk that way if you want to be ghetto about it.
There is space for a 2.5" HDD (intended for a SSD) inside but connecting a drive to it raises further issues.

Raises further issues how? I don't mind being ghetto with my solutions here.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 9, 2011

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

Okay, that is really loving ghetto. Looks like it will just be easier to get a usb enclosure for it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So long story short, I had to mess with the fans on a Mac Pro 1.1 due to a pysically failed temperature sensor. Everything seems to be fine now but I'm new to the OS X world of hardware tinkering.

What apps do you guys recommend to monitor CPU temp. I want to make sure my fix isn't going to ruin the system.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it still easier to flash ATI cards to be Mac compatible? What are my options in the $150-$200 range if any for a Mac Pro 1.1?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

So long story short, I had to mess with the fans on a Mac Pro 1.1 due to a pysically failed temperature sensor. Everything seems to be fine now but I'm new to the OS X world of hardware tinkering.

What apps do you guys recommend to monitor CPU temp. I want to make sure my fix isn't going to ruin the system.

I use iStat Menus to monitor my heat levels.

As for graphics cards, I run a Radeon HD 4870 1GB and I flashed a PC version and it works just fine, been workin great for years. Playin all my games fine in OS X and Windows 7.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

SourKraut posted:

For the 13" MBP, I agree with not upgrading to the i7, but disagree on the 8 GB part - 8 GB of RAM is so cheap now, and upgrading from the 4 GB stock to 8 GB also increases the allocated system ram for the GPU from 384MB to 512MB.

I didn't know it ups the ram on the GPU allocation as well when you go from 4GB to 8GB. How much would this help in something like Starcraft 2/Diablo 2 on a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo? (NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics) Or does it even work the same on this graphics card?

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bassguitarhero posted:

I use iStat Menus to monitor my heat levels.

As for graphics cards, I run a Radeon HD 4870 1GB and I flashed a PC version and it works just fine, been workin great for years. Playin all my games fine in OS X and Windows 7.

On a Mac Pro 1.1? Will I need to hack any OS files to get it to work or will it work just like the factory card?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TheChipmunk posted:

I didn't know it ups the ram on the GPU allocation as well when you go from 4GB to 8GB. How much would this help in something like Starcraft 2/Diablo 2 on a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo? (NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics) Or does it even work the same on this graphics card?

The 320M does not allocate any more memory for itself when more RAM is installed. I'm not sure it would help much anyway, it's still main memory even if it's reserved for the graphics card, and I think that's the main bottleneck for integrated graphics performance.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

On a Mac Pro 1.1? Will I need to hack any OS files to get it to work or will it work just like the factory card?

Yeah, my Mac Pro is a 1,1. I followed this site: http://web.me.com/jacobcroft/4870Flash/4870Flash.html

Worked without a hitch. Bought that exact card on eBay. You can probably find more options, but it can be done. I think the new Radeons have PC & Mac ROMs together but I'm not sure. Mine works fine.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Will this ram work in a mid 2010 iMac? It satisfies all the tech requirements according to the Apple support document, but I've also read that some RAM won't work in spite of this.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a MBP 2011 13" and am thinking of upgrading the hdd to ssd. Will the Seagate Monumentus Hybrid bring me the joy I require? Just looking to make it a touch snappier. I mostly work in Photoshop and Illustrator.

http://www.ebuyer.com/222310-seagate-500gb-momentus-xt-2-5-hybrid-ssd-hdd-sataii-7200rpm-32mb-cache-st95005620as

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thegasman2000 posted:

Will the Seagate Monumentus Hybrid bring me the joy I require?

No.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FamDav posted:

Will this ram work in a mid 2010 iMac? It satisfies all the tech requirements according to the Apple support document, but I've also read that some RAM won't work in spite of this.

Nope, iMacs take laptop memory so you will need to get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233080

edit: If you have an i3/i5 iMac, get DDR3 1333MHZ

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 10, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

~Coxy posted:

I used this cable, as recommended by someone else in the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK

Only need the one cable, it's like $14 bucks. As far as putting the SSD in, a bit of tape to keep it in place. The optical drive is sitting over it, it's not really going anywhere.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just remember to put everything back where it was if you ever have to bring it to a Fruit Stand for service, from what I hear lately they just revamped their whole service website and techs have to be a lot more strict about what they accept for repair.

I also hear that one big reason everything is stricter is that all repairs have to go through something called MRI which is basically a NetBoot version of the old Apple System Diagnostics and results go straight back to Apple's tech databases. Makes me wonder if Steve didn't order this as one of his last requests..

Edit: Who's voting down the thread.. could it be.. platform zealots?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 10, 2011

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Bob Morales posted:

No.

Can I ask for a reason?

The other option is dropping twice the amount for a quarter of the space....

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hybrid drives are not particularly fast nor reliable. Either go a good skinny disk for less or a good SSD for more.

ed: curse you lion. spinny disk

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

~Coxy posted:

Hybrid drives are not particularly fast nor reliable. Either go a good skinny disk for less or a good SSD for more.

ed: curse you lion. spinny disk

I dont suppose there is a comparison anywhere? I am pretty sure the bottleneck is the drive and the local apple store dude said that 7200 rpm drives cause overheating. not sure if thats bollocks or not though.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

I dont suppose there is a comparison anywhere? I am pretty sure the bottleneck is the drive and the local apple store dude said that 7200 rpm drives cause overheating. not sure if thats bollocks or not though.

Get a plain SSD, take out your appendix optical and put your old spinny in its place using a caddy. Since your system is new and still under warranty, make sure you can put it back so that Apple won't whine about your mod if you ever take it to a genius bar.

This is assuming you're comfortable with opening your computer and poking around. If not, throw money at a hardware supplier until you get a big enough SSD v:shobon:v

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Buy a 1TB WD Blue if you need more storage than a 128GB SSD allows.

The actual drive in the Momentus is like 2-3 generations old and the dinky amount of solid-state memory on the controller isn't useful for much other than making it boot up faster, the second time you do it. Not to mention there are tons of people who have had problems with the drives (check out the Mac forums)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

Ars has a review I think.

I don't get it; our Apple Store says the same thing about 7200rpm drives. I've been installing them into laptops for years now and have never had a single complaint. They don't even get appreciably hotter unless you're using the hell out of it, and certainly not enough to affect the computer in any way.