Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Drimble Wedge posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2110288

In case you don't have archives, here is the whole thread. I apologize that only one image was still there:

Edit: would it be terribly presumptuous of me to add things to the wiki? I have archives access and time on my hands, but although I read GWS regularly I don't post much, and I don't want to piss off people who have access to boiling oil and really good knives. :ohdear:

I'm confused about how the curry part starts:

quote:

The curry begins in much the same way. Saute onion in oil for a few minutes over medium heat:

Add the rest of the remaining fresh pumpkin, chopped a little larger than in the dal:

The ingredients seem to indicate that you use 1 whole small pie pumpkin for the curry, but the instructions look like you used some pumpkin here, and some there. Clarification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EVG posted:

I'm confused about how the curry part starts:

The ingredients seem to indicate that you use 1 whole small pie pumpkin for the curry, but the instructions look like you used some pumpkin here, and some there. Clarification?

Depends on the size of your pumpkin.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What's the lowest proof a liqueur can be before I have to worry about spoilage? I'm trying to stock a home bar but I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on fancy drinks if it turns out I have to empty the whole bottle once it's open.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

What's the lowest proof a liqueur can be before I have to worry about spoilage? I'm trying to stock a home bar but I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on fancy drinks if it turns out I have to empty the whole bottle once it's open.

40%/volume (most of your hard liquors) will last until the apocalypse.

I've read on other boards that someone had a 25 year old bottle of Kahlua he found that was still fine when he opened it. Old Kahlua was 26.5%/volume, recently they switched to 20% which should still be fine, I have 3 year old bottles that are still good.

Below that, I'm not sure.

edit: Bailey's for sure goes bad a few months after it's opened (manufacturer says 30 months if unopened), it's 17%/volume but you also have to consider that it contains dairy. I think vermouth (17%) goes bad a few months after opening as well.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think like 20-22% ABV is shelf stable, however some liqueurs will lose flavor if they sit around opened forever. These are typically the lower-proof ones as well.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cool, thanks. I wouldn't trust Bailey's because of my paranoia about spoiled dairy, but it's good to know that Midori or whatever (20%) will be OK longer term.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

edit: Bailey's for sure goes bad a few months after it's opened (manufacturer says 30 months if unopened),

Bailey's goes bad exactly 12 minutes after opening that's why you gotta CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've had it last a good long while on the shelf - months and months. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it normally over time. Give it a sniff before you mix it into anything and you'll be fine.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Chard posted:

Cool, thanks. I wouldn't trust Bailey's because of my paranoia about spoiled dairy, but it's good to know that Midori or whatever (20%) will be OK longer term.
Those suntory flouro things will last forever because of the alcohol but also because of the insane amount of sugars.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

EVG posted:

I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

Margaritas

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

EVG posted:

Well, you're not going to have to worry about scurvy for a while. My suggestions?

For anything that you do with the washed and rinsed limes, zest them first and dump the zest into a bottle of vodka and sugar to make some limoncello with a green twist.

For the late summer days, limeade is a delicious nonalcoholic beverage.

Make a bunch of grilled seafood, serve with black beans and rice, and season with lime juice Cuban style. Or just plan on eating Cuban for the next month, learn the cuisine, and use a squirt of lime wedge at every opportunity.

Once your lime limoncello is ready, you can strain it and use it for all kinds of cool cocktails. Add a dash of grenadine syrup and some club soda with a sprig of mint and you've got a really refreshing drink. Or you can make a cake and pour the lime limoncello over it to make a citrusy kind of rum cake.

Back on the earlier topic of stuffed pumpkins, I filled this little pie pumpkin with custard infused with vanilla and Chinese five spice powder. Still waiting to enjoy this as dessert for a late lunch.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

EVG posted:

Ceviche is the correct answer!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

preserved limes

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

What's some awesome produce I should be looking around for at this time of year? Any recommendations for perhaps lesser known "exotic" produce? And what to do with it?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

EVG posted:

Get some gelatin, silver tequila or whatever, and make jello shots with some salt on top. Sell for $1 a shot while tailgating at a football game. Profit.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
A load of ti punch.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I bought some pitted green olives the other day and they are WAY too salty for my taste. Can I safely replace the brine with drinking water or maybe add something else to take the edge off and flavour them?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
Do you guys have any opinions on the best fat for pie crust? (Butter, shortening, lard, some mixture thereof, etc.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Butter. I never really found out about that purported flakiness of shortening. Margarine makes a very neutral-tasting pastry and is somewhat easier to crumble into the flour, but the butter flavour is usually a good thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Lard and butter in a proportion that you like. Start with 50/50 and go from there.

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?
I am relatively new to bread baking, but have had great success with this burger bun recipe - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe . Now I want to make a large batch of dough and freeze it for on-hand buns.

When should I put it in the freezer? After the first rise, and after I have shaped them? If so, how do I keep them in a compact area and not have them stick together when I just want to defrost a few. And when I defrost them, should I just take them out the day before - and do they do a second rise then?

I think I'm pretty confused about the freezing part. Any suggestions?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So I recently took a crack at Chicken Fricasee for the first time, just used a recepie that popped up near the top on Google:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-fricassee/detail.aspx

Turned out quite tastey, although I substituted chicken broth for water, and couldn't find andouille, so I substituted chirizo. However I've read some other things about how traditionally there isn't any sausage in it, and some other modification. So what's you're favorite recipe, or how could the one I used be improved? This seemed pretty easy and only mildly time consuming, so I'd like to work this into my regular schedule.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I made fresh pasta succesfully for the first time today, which was great. One minor nitpick however was that the noodles tangled up like crazy. Is there a way to prevent this? I tossed my noodles with some flour when they came from the machine, but as much as that prevented sticking, it didn't prevent the tangling. Should I be draping every individual noodle over an edge?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

So I recently took a crack at Chicken Fricasee for the first time, just used a recepie that popped up near the top on Google:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-fricassee/detail.aspx

Turned out quite tastey, although I substituted chicken broth for water, and couldn't find andouille, so I substituted chirizo. However I've read some other things about how traditionally there isn't any sausage in it, and some other modification. So what's you're favorite recipe, or how could the one I used be improved? This seemed pretty easy and only mildly time consuming, so I'd like to work this into my regular schedule.

That seems to come from someone confusing chicken fricasee with a chicken etoufee. Fricasee is just a white stew, so you sear the meat until the fat renders but it does not color too much, then braise it with a bit of chicken stock, celery, carrots and leeks. It's basically a white chicken stew.

e- it appears that is a thing in cajun cuisine. My only familiarity with a fricasee is the French type.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lakshmi posted:

I am relatively new to bread baking, but have had great success with this burger bun recipe - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe . Now I want to make a large batch of dough and freeze it for on-hand buns.

When should I put it in the freezer? After the first rise, and after I have shaped them? If so, how do I keep them in a compact area and not have them stick together when I just want to defrost a few. And when I defrost them, should I just take them out the day before - and do they do a second rise then?

I think I'm pretty confused about the freezing part. Any suggestions?

After you shape them lay them out on a parchment paper lined sheet pan spaced apart.
Put the whole thing in the freezer until the dough balls are frozen solid.
Then you can store them in a zipper baggie until needed.
Pull them out as needed and let them thaw/rise until they are proofed and bake as normal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I need some help with my steaks. Last night I cooked a 1.25 inch thick bone-in strip steak in my cast iron pan. I let the steak come up to room temp, salted it just before cooking, and got my pan as hot as it could get. First, I rendered some fat from the side of the steak. Then, I did 2 minutes on one side, checked it, and it was starting to carbonize rather than form a nice crust. I flipped it and did only 90 seconds on the other side, and it didn't carbonize this time. I took it off the heat, let it rest for 10 minutes, and the interior was more blue than the rare I desired. Why is this? Was the steak just too thick? How can I cook it in a cast iron pan without having to throw it in the oven, and have it result in a nice crust with a rare interior? I ate it anyway, and while it was good, it could've been slightly more done.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How do I make caramels (rather than caramel sauce)?

I've so far made two attempts at caramels. The first attempt was silly, I didn't even own a candy thermometer. I ended up with extremely tasty caramel sauce that we just put on brownies.

The second attempt, last night, I tried again, this time with a candy thermometer and following instructions on a recipe very closely, with one exception: I have no desire to use corn syrup, so I substituted molasses. I cook it up to 330F, pull it off the heat, add the cream and butter mixture, then heat it up to 255F, pull it off the heat, stir in some more butter, and then let it cool, exactly how the instructions say. But several hours later, it can still "flow."

I found one website saying that they then heat it a third time up to 260F after adding the last bit of butter, and I figure I'll try that, but instead of ending up with yet another batch of caramel sauce, I figured I'd ask here:

How in the world do I make caramels that I can cut up into little cubes? Do I need to use different temperatures since I'm using molasses? Should I switch to brown rice syrup?

Help me GWS!

(I should note I'm making spiced caramels, not plain--I don't know if that has an effect?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kenshin posted:

I've so far made two attempts at caramels. The first attempt was silly, I didn't even own a candy thermometer. I ended up with extremely tasty caramel sauce that we just put on brownies.

The second attempt, last night, I tried again, this time with a candy thermometer and following instructions on a recipe very closely, with one exception: I have no desire to use corn syrup, so I substituted molasses. I cook it up to 330F, pull it off the heat, add the cream and butter mixture, then heat it up to 255F, pull it off the heat, stir in some more butter, and then let it cool, exactly how the instructions say. But several hours later, it can still "flow."

I found one website saying that they then heat it a third time up to 260F after adding the last bit of butter, and I figure I'll try that, but instead of ending up with yet another batch of caramel sauce, I figured I'd ask here:

How in the world do I make caramels that I can cut up into little cubes? Do I need to use different temperatures since I'm using molasses? Should I switch to brown rice syrup?

Help me GWS!

(I should note I'm making spiced caramels, not plain--I don't know if that has an effect?)

What is your hesitation in using corn syrup? Making candy is like baking - exact quantities of exact ingredients are very important. You know that corn syrup won't give you sugar AIDS, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Help me GWS!

The corn syrup is there to impede crystallization. There is no reason to leave it out.

I like the Better Homes and Gardens shortcut caramel recipe. Just make sure you cook it to the temp it says

ingredients
1 cup butter
1 16-ounce package (2-1/4 cups packed) brown sugar
1 14-ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

directions
1. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and light corn syrup; mix well. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared baking pan. When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2-3/4 pounds.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Corn syrup is nutritionally essentially identical to white sugar. The problem with corn syrup is that it's easy to add it to things that really don't need to have sugar in them, so it becomes ubiquitous in processed foods. But you're making candy, and if you're eating candy you're expecting to eat some sugar. Corn syrup ain't no problem there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

I need some help with my steaks. Last night I cooked a 1.25 inch thick bone-in strip steak in my cast iron pan. I let the steak come up to room temp, salted it just before cooking, and got my pan as hot as it could get. First, I rendered some fat from the side of the steak. Then, I did 2 minutes on one side, checked it, and it was starting to carbonize rather than form a nice crust. I flipped it and did only 90 seconds on the other side, and it didn't carbonize this time. I took it off the heat, let it rest for 10 minutes, and the interior was more blue than the rare I desired. Why is this? Was the steak just too thick? How can I cook it in a cast iron pan without having to throw it in the oven, and have it result in a nice crust with a rare interior? I ate it anyway, and while it was good, it could've been slightly more done.

The "easy" but expensive answer is to cook it sous vide but I understand that's not practical. What I'd do without an immersion circulator is to put the steak in a 350 degree oven until the interior hit just below rare, say 110F to cover carryover. Pull it out, let it rest for 15-20 minutes, sear it off super hot.

I'd go oven first to dry the exterior of the steak to promote browning.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok perhaps I should rephrase the question:

does anyone know the temperatures I need to hit if I am a stubborn rear end in a top hat and insist on either using molasses or brown rice syrup?

I really don't want to use or buy corn syrup, I know it won't give me corn AIDS or anything, I just don't want to use it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

The Midniter posted:

Your temperature may have been too high. With a thick steak, a super hot pan will make the outside charcoal before the inside warms up enough. Turn down the heat to where it takes a longer time for it to sear.

Also, why can't you use the oven?

Chemmy's idea is also good. It's called the "reverse sear."

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Molasses and brown rice syrup will not work. Making the caramel requires glucose. There are situations that call for specific ingredients, and this is one of them. Brown rice syrup has a very low amount of glucose. Molasses is still mostly sucrose. Short of going out and buying pure glucose, which is likely made from corn in any case, just buy the loving corn syrup already.

dino. fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 10, 2011

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

dino. posted:

Molasses and brown rice syrup will not work. Making the caramel requires glucose. There are situations that call for specific ingredients, and this is one of them. Brown rice syrup has a very low amount of glucose. Molasses is still mostly sucrose. Short of going out and buying pure glucose, which is likely made from corn in any case, just buy the loving corn syrup already.
Blah. Ok. There is a place around here that makes their caramels with molasses or brown rice syrup depending on the flavor, but they told me politely to gently caress off when I asked about the temperatures.

So either they are cheating and using pure glucose or there is some way to do it...

vvv awesome, thanks! vvv

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 10, 2011

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Blah. Ok. There is a place around here that makes their caramels with molasses or brown rice syrup depending on the flavor, but they told me politely to gently caress off when I asked about the temperatures.

So either they are cheating and using pure glucose or there is some way to do it...
It probably couldn't hurt to ask in the food science thread about other sugars that will serve the same function as glucose in caramel making, or whether there's some other temperature you need to look for to get the results you need. The short answer is it's vastly easier and doesn't hurt anything to use corn syrup, but if anyone can help you pull off an interesting culinary stunt it's those guys.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is there a replacement for the slow cooker thread? I loved reading that thing but since the purge it has been closed :(

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wahad posted:

So I made fresh pasta succesfully for the first time today, which was great. One minor nitpick however was that the noodles tangled up like crazy. Is there a way to prevent this? I tossed my noodles with some flour when they came from the machine, but as much as that prevented sticking, it didn't prevent the tangling. Should I be draping every individual noodle over an edge?

Yes, get a pasta tree. It's a little wooden device you can buy at TJ Maxx for a few bucks and is basically a clothes drying rack for pasta. You can also hang coat hangers from your oven's vent hood, but that can become problematic.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Has there been a thread on distilling alcohol since the reboot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Super noob reading this forum for the first time.

I have a big metal stainless steel pan. It's a decent brand (can't remember off the top of my head, i can find out when i get home if need be). Whenever we cook meat with it that has a coating, whether it be crumbs or a marinade or in the case of the other night, a cut of lamb with a mustard and garlic crust all of it finishes up sticking to the pan and not sticking to the meat.

Even when i fry simple stuff like some mashed potato in butter or even an egg, it all just ends up sticking to the pan. It really sucks because you end up just having this pan with massively burnt marinade that stinks the whole house while i have a barely cooked piece of meat with no marinade left on it.

Am i doing something wrong? Someone i know mentioned something about "treating" the pan. What is that and is that my problem? If it is, am i still able to treat it do i have to that when it's new?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 10, 2011