Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So at the risk of being relentlessly mocked.. seriously, what if anything makes the iphone better than the Evo or the Galaxy S II? I'm finally going to stop being a cheapass and ditch my TP2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Intruder posted:

So at the risk of being relentlessly mocked.. seriously, what if anything makes the iphone better than the Evo or the Galaxy S II? I'm finally going to stop being a cheapass and ditch my TP2

Curated app store, more/different/better apps, better UX, smoother UI, cachet of having an iPhone.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Just ask yourself which ecosystem you want to be tied to, it's not really about the hardware/software/carrier anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Intruder posted:

So at the risk of being relentlessly mocked.. seriously, what if anything makes the iphone better than the Evo or the Galaxy S II?
The iPhone doesn't have to be rebooted once a day because the radio decided to walk off. It also doesn't try to suspend itself (and fail) every two seconds annihilating battery life because someone forgot to hold a wakelock.

Basically the iPhone, honestly, "just works", which coming from the TP2 is something you might appreciate. Unfortunately "just working" is such an unusual engineering philosophy that the only way some vendors (the ones who make phones that suffer the above problems) can compete is to sue the poo poo out of Apple and make feeble attempts to block iPhones from sale in every market.

That said, the Evo 3D and Photon are pretty good too.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I wonder what the odds are that the 64 gig iPhone is still available for 14th delivery? Only the 16gig says it's sold out...

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
i suck so much

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 10, 2011

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've got the "security pattern" lock screen set on my Evo 3D, but it still shows the default Sense lock screen with the ring before that.. so I've got two lock screens. How do I disable the sense lock screen?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mark Larson posted:

Curated app store, more/different/better apps, better UX, smoother UI, cachet of having an iPhone.

I would say also the accessories for iPhone are 100x more than any Android phone.

blargle posted:

I've got the "security pattern" lock screen set on my Evo 3D, but it still shows the default Sense lock screen with the ring before that.. so I've got two lock screens. How do I disable the sense lock screen?

App called nolock, but it might disable the 'security pattern' at the same time (not sure if you can have the 'security pattern' without the lock screen.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Basically the iPhone, honestly, "just works", which coming from the TP2 is something you might appreciate. Unfortunately "just working" is such an unusual engineering philosophy that the only way some vendors (the ones who make phones that suffer the above problems) can compete is to sue the poo poo out of Apple and make feeble attempts to block iPhones from sale in every market.

It's not about that, everyone sues everyone forever. That's just how tech patents work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

After I changed my address and ordered the iPhone I see "Premium Data $0 add-on charge" in my account. I am on the normal plan with corporate discount $69.99 minus 25%.

I had TEP before, but removed it (and like mentioned it was not discounted as it was an add-on). I figured it was a waste of money since I was in the market for a new phone, and now with AppleCare+ its even more of a waste of money since even if you replace the device it ends up cheaper than what you pay over 2 years.

the $10 doesn't get added until you activate your iPhone abs sprint doesn't offer TEP on the iPhone anyway.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The iPhone doesn't have to be rebooted once a day because the radio decided to walk off. It also doesn't try to suspend itself (and fail) every two seconds annihilating battery life because someone forgot to hold a wakelock.

That said, the Evo 3D and Photon are pretty good too.

Can't believe I am defending Samsung, but apple sued them first.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 10, 2011

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, you get the usual two-year upgrade credit everyone else does, which is often far more than $150.

Thanks. So I could possibly get the SGS2 for free?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

err posted:

Who's offering it for free?

No, you should be able to upgrade to one for $200 though. It's $500 retail, but there's $300 instant savings for new customers. So instead of $150 off for upgrades, it's probably something like $250 instant savings plus $50 mail-in rebate, if not $300 off outright.

That said, I, I would caution folks against the E4GT. My previous surly post was made in frustration after trying to debug this guy, and I don't even own one. This phone has some weird poo poo going on with it that Samsung needs to own up to. And who knows when that will be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

diospadre posted:

It's not about that, everyone sues everyone forever. That's just how tech patents work.
I was going to say that it's not like Apple doesn't do the exact same thing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

err posted:

You'll get it for the same price that it's advertised for for new accounts with 2 year contract, which is usually significantly more of a discount than $150 off full price depending on the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

err posted:

And fyi dude I can't tell you how many people have come in thinking their iPhones would be $200-$150 and I had to painstakingly explain that no, that's not what the $150 off means. So don't feel dumb.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Intruder posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I always tell people "if you have to ask, get an iPhone."

Android is a really nice platform and it offers a ton more customization and flexibility. For example, you can replace the onscreen keyboard, the homescreen and launcher, the web browser, etc on android with different 3rd part software if you want to. This allows you to change the look, feel, and functionality of the phone to the way you want it to be.

With the iPhone, it is what it is. That's not a bad thing for most people. Most people don't care about changing how the phone works. They just want something that works well out of the box and the iPhone does work well out of the box.

It comes down to do you want a phone that has a very polished user experience out of the box but offers almost no customization, or a phone that is not as polished but offers a lot more hardware options and allows you to configure and use the phone any way you want.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Intruder posted:

Find someone with an iphone(or an ipod and just pretend it can make calls) and try it out first. Don't just buy it without trying it.

I like my ipad but I also like having an Android phone. I like having both worlds as long as those worlds don't consist of an android tablet and an iphone. gently caress that.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

I'm really liking the specs of the Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch 40k but I have one big problem with the phone- That awful samsung logo on the front above the screen. I'm sure it would require voiding the warranty and might ruin the resale value of the phone but would there be any way to remove that logo? This is very close to a deal breaker for me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Are there any Windows Phone 7 devices coming to Sprint any time soon?

Edit-Yeah, that's kind of what I was assuming. I really want to upgrade from my EVO 4G, but I don't want something bigger than 4.3", which rules out every Android device coming out ever again it seems. I guess I should jump on the iPhone 4S bandwagon, although I'll be sad to miss out on ICS :(

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 10, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

Probably not.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Edit-Yeah, that's kind of what I was assuming. I really want to upgrade from my EVO 4G, but I don't want something bigger than 4.3", which rules out every Android device coming out ever again it seems. I guess I should jump on the iPhone 4S bandwagon, although I'll be sad to miss out on ICS :(

You mean besides the one they already have (HTC Arrive)? It's kind of dumb that both Verizon and Sprint don't carry both CDMA devices available. I know people on both carriers that would pull the trigger if they had each others devices. Neither have ICS though that I'm aware of.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

I guess I should jump on the iPhone 4S bandwagon, although I'll be sad to miss out on ICS :(
You could side-grade to a used NS4G, since that'll get ICS pretty quickly after it's released. I rather like the 4.0" form factor myself, although it does make Hacker's Keyboard drat hard to use.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

And fyi dude I can't tell you how many people have come in thinking their iPhones would be $200-$150 and I had to painstakingly explain that no, that's not what the $150 off means. So don't feel dumb.

Thanks yall. Yeah I've been out of the game for quite some time (upgrading from a HTC Mogul, awful phone) and don't know poo poo

edit:

One question: The guy on the phone said I need to go in/order online to get my phone/complete the process. I don't see any plan change on my Sprint account page; shouldn't it show SERO Premium?

err fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 10, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm still surprised that they're throwing the non-4G iPhone up to the 4G tier for SERO Premium customers. And no, premium data is included in SERO premium, no matter what non-4G phone you have.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Matlock posted:

I'm still surprised that they're throwing the non-4G iPhone up to the 4G tier for SERO Premium customers. And no, premium data is included in SERO premium, no matter what non-4G phone you have.

You're surprised? Really?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

It's an iPhone and its really expensive for sprint to carry.

Seriously, I understand trying the get the best value, but bitching about having to pay a whole $50 a month for an unlimited data iPhone plan is just short sighted. It's the best drat plan you can find, people can't even get it anymore, pat yourself on the back that you held out on the plan in any case. I'm honestly surprised sprint supports the plan for any phone really.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I honestly expected the policy to be, "You want an iPhone on SERO? lol Go gently caress yourself."

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

It's an iPhone and its really expensive for sprint to carry.

That's pretty much it. I'm not complaining so much as I am a bit surprised at the matter.

Although I guess it's better than their business model of "LOL want an Instinct or Pre? $99 plans only" a few years back.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Hah, just saw Amazon post on FB about the SGSIIE4T. It's $99 for new signups, and $149 for renewals.

Seems like an obvious ploy post-iPhone4s, but it's a crazy good looking phone :swoon:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Matlock posted:

Hah, just saw Amazon post on FB about the SGSIIE4T. It's $99 for new signups, and $149 for renewals.

Seems like an obvious ploy post-iPhone4s, but it's a crazy good looking phone :swoon:

They just need to fix that drat LOS bug everyone's having. Root just makes it 10 times worse. I know I know, this is what I get with Samsung.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You could side-grade to a used NS4G, since that'll get ICS pretty quickly after it's released. I rather like the 4.0" form factor myself, although it does make Hacker's Keyboard drat hard to use.

You know, I hadn't thought of the Nexus S, as the thought of not having the most up-to-date phone kills me inside a little bit, but it's just the right size, is a prime candidate for ICS, and has Google wallet! I didn't mean to say the 4.x" form factor was bad, I just think anything bigger than my EVO 4G (4.3") is a bit ridiculous. I'm very close to just going to an iphone4S, but losing free turn-by-turn navigation might be a deal breaker.

halokiller posted:

They just need to fix that drat LOS bug everyone's having. Root just makes it 10 times worse. I know I know, this is what I get with Samsung.

This brings up a good point, are the SGSII's a bitch to root or something? What about the Nexus S 4G? I feel like I've been pretty spoiled with the EVO 4G, every other month I try a new ROM and it feels fresh again. :3:

Anathema
Aug 24, 2000
I've never had an original thought in my life, and somebody had to tell me that, too.

Intruder posted:

Late to the party, but another consideration may be that if your company's Exchange server policy requires on-device hardware encryption, you're out of luck with any current Android or Windows Phone 7 options on any carrier. BlackBerry, iPhone, or (believe it or not) Windows Mobile 6 phone, and that's it.

You'd think this would be seen as a decent window of opportunity for an Android or WP7 phone manufacturer to break into the enterprise phone market, but so far, nothing. I guess it's just too lucrative to cater to the personal phone geeks who have to upgrade every three months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Bionic has on device encryption as does my Xoom.

The Photon has encryption as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Geez the S2 is huge, I went to the Sprint store for a hands on and it's massive

Also, funny enough given one of the early replies I got, the demo model was mysteriously not working even though it was apparently on

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Does the SGS2E4GT use Gorilla Glass? I don't think it does, since I dropped mine (in a hard case no less) and busted the screen in a fall my Epic would have laughed off.

Tempted to save a few bucks by not buying TEP? Not me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is it bad that I want a SGS2E4GT purely because of its name?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Matlock posted:

That's pretty much it. I'm not complaining so much as I am a bit surprised at the matter.

Although I guess it's better than their business model of "LOL want an Instinct or Pre? $99 plans only" a few years back.

Thats what happened to me, but it was $70 plan (added a 25% discount on it to make it less painful). I was holding on to my SERO and Treo 755p for a long while and when the Pre was announced I was excited enough about it that I had to switch to a normal plan. They didn't have any discounted plans for that while, so people with them should consider themselves lucky.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I called the SERO line for an upgrade/new contract today and he said I was good to go and to just go into the store or go online to pick up a phone. But in my account I'm still listed as just "SERO 500". Should I call again before ordering, the Sprint website doesn't seem to help much.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

Sounds like a new version of a Terminator. The G is for Gus from Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

brc64 posted:

If you get one, you should get a vanity license plate with that on it.