Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
This was one of the dumbest posts in the thread, I'm sure.

Carry on.

:ughh:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

LastInLine posted:

You can delete APKs you don't need and any ringtone you want without any harm at all, go hog wild. You could also take them out of the zip but it's easier if you're going to be flashing CM7 a lot (like nightlies) to just make a removal script that you can flash that deletes them. (I have one if you need it.)

When you change the zip you'll break the signature so you'll need to either re-sign the zip or turn off signature verification in recovery.

What APKs are you thinking of deleting?

Basically anything that I never use, which really isn't helpful to you I'm sure. Things like Browser (I replace it with dolphin anyway), dsp manager, and a handful of other apps whose names are escaping me right now.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Basically anything that I never use, which really isn't helpful to you I'm sure. Things like Browser (I replace it with dolphin anyway), dsp manager, and a handful of other apps whose names are escaping me right now.

You probably don't want to remove the stock Browser, since even third-party browsers use its download manager. and you won't be able to download files from Dolphin without the stock browser APK. I tried it once and downloading only led to FCs until it was restored. A lot of other apps (dsp, email, ADW if you have another launcher installed, ROM Manager, etc) can be removed safely, but make sure you keep a backup of the browser if you try that.

This may have changed since then, but it was definitely early Gingerbread where I tried this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

You probably don't want to remove the stock Browser, since even third-party browsers use its download manager. and you won't be able to download files from Dolphin without the stock browser APK. I tried it once and downloading only led to FCs until it was restored. A lot of other apps (dsp, email, ADW if you have another launcher installed, ROM Manager, etc) can be removed safely, but make sure you keep a backup of the browser if you try that.

This may have changed since then, but it was definitely early Gingerbread where I tried this.

Works fine for me without the stock browser, running 2.3.4.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, I have no problems without the stock browser. I use TiBu to remove the stuff I don't want right now. If something breaks my system then I always have a backup to restore from.

Realizing I don't NEED some "essential" apps really helps as well. Like uninstalling Facebook and just using the mobile website. I hate how the Facebook app basically demands access to everything and if you try to restrict it it FC's. gently caress Facebook. I realized that I really only liked it because of the contact picture syncing but then remembered that having pictures with contacts isn't at all important because I know what all of my friends look like.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nickhimself posted:

I had to type up instructions for that removal script in a different thread so here it is. Just edit the script to remove what you'd like (it's pretty self-evident what to do) and re-sign it using the linked app. No more needing to edit things over and over.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Sweet, that's good to know.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I had to type up instructions for that removal script in a different thread so here it is. Just edit the script to remove what you'd like (it's pretty self-evident what to do) and re-sign it using the linked app. No more needing to edit things over and over.

This is awesome, thanks!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

I just noticed my video recorder sound seems to be broken, is that a known N1 nightly issue?

I'm re-installing RC1, I like the little fixes, but I feel like there's no compelling reason to be on nightlies at the moment.

This turned out to be a hardware issue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just to follow up, I installed CM7 on my SGSII, and it was running perfectly, but I found out there's a bug where the mic doesn't work. For a couple days I only took calls while I was using my headset, so it didn't matter, but yesterday I had a bunch of client calls that I took on the phone mic itself, and no one could hear me. Looking at XDA it appears to be a bug, so I rolled back to the regular Samsung ROM with Touchwiz. Honestly, it's not bad at all. I installed GoLauncher, and there's really nothing I'm missing from CM7 (which I used GoLauncher on anyways). The only features I missed where the new ring lockscreen (which is easily fixed with Widget Locker) and lockscreen gestures (which you can sort of duplicate with GoLauncher dock gestures. The dialer and contact lists from Samsung are fantastic, and the OS in general is super slick and snappy. Once CM7 goes to CM9 with ICS I may consider changing back, but for now I'm very happy with Touchwiz.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a Nexus S. The "root method" is to politely ask the phone to unlock itself "pretty please!" which it will then gladly do. Always has, always will.

I'm interested in this. What do you mean 'you ask it unlock itself to root it'? I recently got a Nexus S and have been looking around on how to get access to the superser in a terminal emulator.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Santa is strapped posted:

I'm interested in this. What do you mean 'you ask it unlock itself to root it'? I recently got a Nexus S and have been looking around on how to get access to the superser in a terminal emulator.

You need to unlock the boot loader. The trouble is its a pain in the arse to get the PC software to talk to the phone (at least on the international i9023), and the unlock process wipes the device.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

So, everything on my Vibrant just updated-- apps, even Superuser, Flash (didn't know I had it)... Settings screen says my phone is at 2.2, any ideas what happened?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dissss posted:

You need to unlock the boot loader. The trouble is its a pain in the arse to get the PC software to talk to the phone (at least on the international i9023), and the unlock process wipes the device.

Sweet, I'll look into it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

aude omnia posted:

So, everything on my Vibrant just updated-- apps, even Superuser, Flash (didn't know I had it)... Settings screen says my phone is at 2.2, any ideas what happened?

Do you mean in the Market? Or via an OTA? What version of Android were you running before? It's a little unclear what you're saying.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

They updated in the market. It's not like I never connect my phone to wifi. Like, this Gmail update, has this been around? It's rooted and has been on Froyo.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just to follow up, I installed CM7 on my SGSII, and it was running perfectly, but I found out there's a bug where the mic doesn't work. For a couple days I only took calls while I was using my headset, so it didn't matter, but yesterday I had a bunch of client calls that I took on the phone mic itself, and no one could hear me. Looking at XDA it appears to be a bug, so I rolled back to the regular Samsung ROM with Touchwiz. Honestly, it's not bad at all. I installed GoLauncher, and there's really nothing I'm missing from CM7 (which I used GoLauncher on anyways). The only features I missed where the new ring lockscreen (which is easily fixed with Widget Locker) and lockscreen gestures (which you can sort of duplicate with GoLauncher dock gestures. The dialer and contact lists from Samsung are fantastic, and the OS in general is super slick and snappy. Once CM7 goes to CM9 with ICS I may consider changing back, but for now I'm very happy with Touchwiz.

I very much agree. I haven't even felt the need to flash a custom TW rom. Just a rooted stock kernal and that's it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

dissss posted:

It's easy once you read this:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=16777

Took me a few hours to figure out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

What do you mean 'you ask it unlock itself to root it'?
Yes, unlock the bootloader. Here's directions that walk through the process of unlocking to installing Superuser, which is what you want to do. As mentioned, if you have an I9023 you may have to futz with the .inf of the adb driver to get the right USB device ID in there. Shouldn't be a problem with a I9020.

A few notes:

Running "fastboot oem unlock" wipes all data on the phone. Sorry, that's the breaks. If you were rooted you could backup all that data first, but since there's no other exploit that works on recently-upgraded Nexus S that I'm aware, you lose in the chicken and egg battle here.

I believe you have to use ClockworkMod (or another test-keys) recovery to install Superuser, but you shouldn't have to flash it if you'd rather keep stock recovery. Instead of the "fastboot flash ..." command you should be able to do:
code:
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.2-crespo.img
which boots into ClockworkMod as a one-time thing, and will let you backup and install Superuser. And that backup is probably a good thing to make even with the data reset, just so you get a pristine backup of the kernel & /system partitions you can restore later if you want to do an OTA update or something.

Also, custom kernels are cool. I think "Lucid" is the one everyone likes for the Nexus S, if for nothing more than blinking notifications. If you do end up installing a custom kernel, definitely do make a ClockworkMod backup of the stock system first and save it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't know what that guy is talking about but unlocking and rooting the Nexus S is really really easy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1250583

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

IRQ posted:

I don't know what that guy is talking about but unlocking and rooting the Nexus S is really really easy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1250583

If you'd read the post right above yours, you'd know exactly what "that guy" is talking about, especially since his original point was also that rooting and unlocking the NS is really easy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

This week's MIUI update for the EVO 3D is incredibly stable and smooth. Last week's fixed most of my problems, and this week's fixed the last one - no need to change the DPI to 270 to get properly aligned widgets and lockscreens.

No 3D support for viewing yet (can capture in 3D), and no 4G, but this ROM is so goddamned smooth I can't imaging going back to CM or Sense.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1271824

If you're not on MIUI and want to try, nandroid, wipe everything and flash this one. It's easily my favorite ROM.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

SLOSifl posted:

This week's MIUI update for the EVO 3D is incredibly stable and smooth. Last week's fixed most of my problems, and this week's fixed the last one - no need to change the DPI to 270 to get properly aligned widgets and lockscreens.

No 3D support for viewing yet (can capture in 3D), and no 4G, but this ROM is so goddamned smooth I can't imaging going back to CM or Sense.

If you're not on MIUI and want to try, nandroid, wipe everything and flash this one. It's easily my favorite ROM.

And for those of us without 4G coverage 3D is the only thing lacking. The only question I have is if it's possible to get Sprint Visual Voicemail back on MIUI? It's kind of essential for me.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

And for those of us without 4G coverage 3D is the only thing lacking. The only question I have is if it's possible to get Sprint Visual Voicemail back on MIUI? It's kind of essential for me.
It is, yes. I have been using Google Voice for as long as it's been available*, so I haven't tried to install the Sprint VVM updates provided in the linked thread above, but it seems to work for other people.

* If you don't have a reason to skip Google Voice integration on Sprint, it's very useful in a lot of situations. Calls, voicemail and texting from tablets and the computer and group filtering, customizable call screening, etc. And it works out of the box on any Android device so there is no worry about finding a carrier specific app for custom ROMs.

edit: Depending on which devices are turned on in my house, I get up to 4 notifications of a text/call/voicemail, and because of that I don't even keep my phone nearby when I'm at home. It's great.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 9, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SLOSifl posted:

I keep seeing "nandroid backup" tossed about on various forums, and by this time I think I have a fairly good idea as to what it is, but I haven't seen a good explanation as to how to do it. I did find a post that pretty much asked the same question, but for a Motorola phone. Is it really as simple as booting into fastboot or CWM and choosing "backup..."?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Penguissimo posted:

If you'd read the post right above yours, you'd know exactly what "that guy" is talking about, especially since his original point was also that rooting and unlocking the NS is really easy.

Yeah, I don't see the need for the hostility there. What I posted is far easier anyway.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, you boot into Clockwork/TWRP/any custom recovery and use the backup option. I do not know if nandroid backups are tied to the recovery that they were created with, but I think they are. If you're rooted already, you can use ROM Manager to flash Clockwork Recovery. It's not the most elegant, but it works. Where supported, I like TWRP if only for the better organization of the menus.

If you're upgrading or flashing a ROM, make a backup. If something goes wrong and you can't fix it, you can just restore the backup and *everything* will be exactly as you left it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

I keep seeing "nandroid backup" tossed about on various forums, and by this time I think I have a fairly good idea as to what it is, but I haven't seen a good explanation as to how to do it. I did find a post that pretty much asked the same question, but for a Motorola phone. Is it really as simple as booting into fastboot or CWM and choosing "backup..."?

As SLOSifl pointed out, yes it's that simple. It's literally an image of your phone (excluding things like the recovery, bootloader and radio). Take note that these things range from 500 megs to almost 3 gigs depending on the phone. Make sure there is ample room on your SD card.

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask. I've been using an MIUI Telus HTC Desire HD for a while now and have had no problems at all. However, yesterday when trying to root my girlfriend's Telus HTC Desire HD, a few things happened.

I used a combination of these three guides

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-telus-htc-desire-hd/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905003
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954997

I was able to downgrade it successfully, go into boot loader and load the PD98IMG.zip file. However, the phone had to reboot and it took over 20 minutes. So after that, I went ahead and gained permanent root and S-OFF, and flashed MIUI 1.10.8. The problem is, EVERY single reboot takes almost 20 minutes. The process is as follows

Indicator light comes on
White screen
Phone starts vibrating continuously
White screen with HTC logo
White screen with HTC "Quietly Brilliant" logo
Phone stops vibrating
MIUI load screen
Home Screen

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal as my phone does not have this problem. Could it be a hardware issue? My next step is to revert it back to original Sense. Does anyone have any tips for this process, or have any idea if I did anything incorrectly? At this point I'm insanely cautious as the 20 minute loads constantly make me paranoid about the phone not turning on again.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Are there any recommended MIUI themes that don't have lovely contrast on the notification pulldown or alerts? Every theme I try seems to look great until I get an alert or have to toggle something and can't read the text. Something elegant and fully skinned would be great. The theme browser is so lovely so anecdotal reviews seem the way to go.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Finally... stable CM7 for SGS2.

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=galaxys2&type=stable

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Guessing thst they still haven't fixed the Bluetooth headphones issue though?

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
Sorry for not reading past the OP and other than the past few pages, but I just got my first smartphone (HTC Inspire 4G) and was wondering if the methods in the OP are still the best to root the phone, or is there another way that I should use?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I flashed the latest stable CM7 on my Evo 4G a few days ago. Everything's working great, except I can't get a GPS lock.

I saw a method posted online a few months ago that involved reflashing Sense, resetting the GPS, and flashing back to CM7. Does that sound right, or is there a newer/better/easier fix out there?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Web Jew.0 posted:

Welp, good thing I didn't do much work on customizing my Touchwiz build. Time to flash CM7 again.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Just changed from 7.1 RC1 to the stable on my inspire, I may be mistaken but in a little test call I did (held phone in front of fan and listened on other phone) it sounds like noise cancellation is working. Is this true? It's not mentioned in the changelog.

Also, Am I supposed to be clearing battery stats when updating a rom? I read on some other forum something about like "clear them anytime you do anything with cwm" but if I'm updating an existing rom do I need to? Version changed from 2.3.4 to 2.3.7, would that matter? I've never flashed anything except cm 7.0.3 stable then 7.1 rc1 then this one today and I've never restored anything from a nandroid.

I cleared when I did 7.0.3 then again with rc1 but haven't today.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

Just changed from 7.1 RC1 to the stable on my inspire, I may be mistaken but in a little test call I did (held phone in front of fan and listened on other phone) it sounds like noise cancellation is working. Is this true? It's not mentioned in the changelog.

Also, Am I supposed to be clearing battery stats when updating a rom? I read on some other forum something about like "clear them anytime you do anything with cwm" but if I'm updating an existing rom do I need to? Version changed from 2.3.4 to 2.3.7, would that matter? I've never flashed anything except cm 7.0.3 stable then 7.1 rc1 then this one today and I've never restored anything from a nandroid.

I cleared when I did 7.0.3 then again with rc1 but haven't today.

Usually you only need to wipe data if you flash a different ROM. For battery stats, I doubt you'd have to really mess with that unless you were getting inaccurate data.

If you are concerned about it, you can always just wipe the battery stats in the Recovery. Think it is under Advanced in Clockwork.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

SLOSifl posted:

I just flashed to MIUI last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago?) and I'm really liking it. I'm on the regular Evo 4G though. I'm still, obviously, going to grab the update.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

eightysixed posted:

I just flashed to MIUI last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago?) and I'm really liking it. I'm on the regular Evo 4G though. I'm still, obviously, going to grab the update.

Did you have to do anything special?

I flashed MIUI last night after doing a nandroid backup, and it hung at the boot up logo for MIUI.

And then to top it all off, when I try to restore my nandroid backup, it tells me there are UID mismatches and everything FC's. Even after multiple data/cache/dalvik wipes.

My phone has been unusable for about 24hours now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Did you wipe the cache and data partitions when flashing MIUI for the first time? Clear them and flash again just to be sure.

You mentioned you cleared them while dealing with your nandroid issue (no idea there), but did you try MIUI again since?