Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Oh my god, this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annie what the gently caress are you doing stop it

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I can't say I expected Jack's reaction.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Kiss him anyway

That'll learn him

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Jack needs some advice from Hearts Boxcars.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
"TOO BAD YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!"

Jack chose correctly.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Guess I'll add "Jack Wise-man turns down his emotionally damaged ex" to the pile of things I wasn't expecting from this chapter.

Soon to be appended with "Jack the Jerk shouldn't have done that on the sly" if Fangz is correct.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I assume the next page will just be Annie spiraling over the horizon

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ka0 posted:

Jack chose correctly.

Wishing I could empty-quote this.

Unfortunately, Jack seems to be serious about Zimmy, which is far worse.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Jack, Antimony Station was the last stop before Psychzim Mindfreak Central and you let the doors close in your face. Choo loving choo I hope it's worth it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Maybe I'm insane, but I still think it's a 50/50 over whether Jack means no or if he's going to pull yet another smooth move. This is a Friday update, after all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
:cry: Oh Annie, will you ever find love? [/maudlin]

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Everyone involved is a reactionary bundle of hormones and its giving me painful flashbacks to high school.
Still holding out for Monday Cool Jack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man I wonder how that weird, angry guy from a couple of pages back is holding up after this.

It's really jarring seeing Annie acting like a teenager. Not because of bad characterization, but because of the exact opposite; she's slowly overcoming her formal and robotic ways of acting. It's neat.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!
This just isn't the girls' night, is it?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm wondering about the expression Jack is making in the last couple of panels. Maybe he's regretting falling in love with the crazy girl already in a relationship instead of the crazy pretty girl who just asked him to kiss.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think it's more him realizing what a weird place Annie is in emotionally, and knowing that it's the right thing to not take advantage of that and that she'll work past it.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 7, 2011

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
She's in a very weird place, and one I can commiserate with. Being young is so frustrating.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol

AfroSpatula posted:

She's in a very weird place, and one I can commiserate with. Being young is so frustrating.

Being a kid and growwing up, its hard and nobody understands?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

annatar posted:

It seems that way at the time, certainly.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Nipponophile posted:

I think it's more him realizing what a weird place Annie is in emotionally, and knowing that it's the right thing to not take advantage of that and that she'll work past it.

I think Jack just doesn't know whether or not this is a trick. Hell I don't know whether or not this is a trick and I'm twice his age.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Jack sure will be disappointed when he finds out Zimmy is in lesbians with somebody else.

I wonder if we'll get wacky antics from the cast being sleep deprived the next day.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

QueerPope posted:

Jack sure will be disappointed when he finds out Zimmy is in lesbians with somebody else.

I'm pretty sure he already knows.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It is obviously a trick, it happened to me and then I pulled it on someone else. No I don't miss being 14.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

annatar posted:

The second part is the wrong part. Everyone understands but they don't care. :>

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If this were any other webcomic I would see this as the author writing out his lame high school revenge fantasy where he's such a cool and awesome guy and the girl wants him but he totally shoots her down, IN YOUR FACE BITCH.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

DocFrance posted:

If this were any other webcomic I would see this as the author writing out his lame high school revenge fantasy where he's such a cool and awesome guy and the girl wants him but he totally shoots her down, IN YOUR FACE BITCH.

He probably would have made Jack the main character and demonized the Annie character, so, the notion never occurred to me.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

DocFrance posted:

One of the things that I love so much about this comic is that there has never been a single moment that's felt mean-spirited or cruel, even on the rare occasion when characters are intentionally being unpleasant to each other. It has a really gentle outlook that puts people's personalities and intentions first, so it never feels like there are winners and losers, and nobody is ever crushed and devastated by the drama. The effects of people's actions are subtle, and the characters are (mostly) philosophic about their ups and downs, and in the end nobody is too harshly judged. It makes for such a refreshing reading experience. :shobon:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Kismet posted:

One of the things that I love so much about this comic is that there has never been a single moment that's felt mean-spirited or cruel, even on the rare occasion when characters are intentionally being unpleasant to each other. It has a really gentle outlook that puts people's personalities and intentions first, so it never feels like there are winners and losers, and nobody is ever crushed and devastated by the drama. The effects of people's actions are subtle, and the characters are (mostly) philosophic about their ups and downs, and in the end nobody is too harshly judged. It makes for such a refreshing reading experience. :shobon:

Yeah, it's how I wish more people (hell, even me) acted in real life.

But to play devil's advocate, is it realistic? I mean, we were just talking a few pages ago about how teenagers acted purely on their emotions.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Another thing to note, make the faces Jack makes on the last two panels and I dare you, I dare you not to know exactly what he's feeling.

edit: I like a fantasy universe where the fantasy is that nobody's a stupid oval office.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AfroSpatula posted:

edit: I like a fantasy universe where the fantasy is that nobody's a stupid oval office.

Which is why Diego stands out, 'cause he kinda was. Otherwise, I like that this is the central conceit of Gunnerkrigg.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Phy posted:

Which is why Diego stands out, 'cause he kinda was. Otherwise, I like that this is the central conceit of Gunnerkrigg.

I dunno, this has come up before and I think the general consensus was that we've not seen enough of him for a clear picture. All our insights into his character have either been extrapolated from the weird robots he left behind, or were given from Jean's understandably unflattering perspective.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

AfroSpatula posted:

Another thing to note, make the faces Jack makes on the last two panels and I dare you, I dare you not to know exactly what he's feeling.

Maybe you can explain it to the rest of the class.

(You might be thinking something different from me and I'd like to hear it).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no Kat! You can still be lesbians with someone else! :smith:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I'm curious now if this is the note the chapter will end on, or if Kat will get a chance to talk to Annie before it's over.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Kat keeping tabs on everyone.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh no Kat! You can still be lesbians with someone else! :smith:

Kat's just feeling left out. Everyone else has some sort of romantic interest goin on. Poor Kat. :(

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Kat's just feeling left out. Everyone else has some sort of romantic interest goin on. Poor Kat. :(
She had bird-boy and she lost him :smith:

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I think its more that the only ones awake are ginger and wacko so she doesn't want to wake up and ruin their moment, now that everyone else are sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If she was just lonely or didn't want to interrupt the moment or whatever, then why did she look at Paz, the one who mistook her for a lesbian?

I suppose its possible she just doesn't like the idea of Annie and Jack becoming BFFs and Jack rolling up in her turf, but I think its more likely that she's feeling some weird pangs of jealousy and doesn't quite understand why.