Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

There was also the West Hollywood Blondes in WCW, they got changed into Standards&Practices after complaints from all sorts of people.

I read that as "The Hollywood Blondes in WCW" and I had this mental image of Stone Cold and Pillman... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely enjoyed Billy and Chuck because I was of the opinion that the two of them were clueless and either weren't gay or were so deep in the closet that neither of them had any idea. WWE actually got some positive attention from Gay and Lesbian Groups for the portrayal from memory, and then they went and blew it in the worst possible way at the "Wedding" by having Billy and Chuck both admit they were not only straight but that they had been deliberately putting on the "gay" act in order to get attention and make more money/be more famous. It was about the worst way that whole thing could have climaxed, and the only redeeming feature of it was the elderly Priest suddenly stopping and declaring in Eric Bischoff's voice,"Did I just hear myself say..... 3 Minutes? :smug:"

Oh god that image is so vivid.

Pardon my ignorance, but what the gently caress was up with the 3 minutes thing? 3 Minute Warning? A reference to Nitro starting 3 minutes earlier? I missed the source of the joke.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Szmitten posted:

Oh god that image is so vivid.

Pardon my ignorance, but what the gently caress was up with the 3 minutes thing? 3 Minute Warning? A reference to Nitro starting 3 minutes earlier? I missed the source of the joke.

Yeah, it was the initial gimmick of 3 Minute Warning. Bischoff would book stupid segments or matches and give them 3 minutes to entertain him. When they inevitably failed he'd get 3 Minute Warning out to tear poo poo up.

God, I miss 3 Minute Warning :(

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Law posted:

I'm writing a paper on masculinity and I'm doing a bit on professonal wrestling. There was this duo I read about earlier in the year, they were basically there as token gay characters to be mocked by all the other wrestlers but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I've tried googling them but it didn't come up with anything. IIRC it wasn't out right stated that they were gay but it was heavily implied. I couldn't say what they were in since I know next to nothing about wrestling but they were around in the last 10 years or so.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about here that'd be a great help.

e:
Ah! Thank you so much!
vvv

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but have you thought about checking out Orlando Jordan?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
You should probably write a bunch of words about Goldust. He feuded with Razor Ramon because he wanted to have sex with him and was basically given a female valet later on so he could turn face. Also Vince giving Adrian Adonis a gay gimmick as a punishment for getting fat.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Rarity posted:

Yeah, it was the initial gimmick of 3 Minute Warning. Bischoff would book stupid segments or matches and give them 3 minutes to entertain him. When they inevitably failed he'd get 3 Minute Warning out to tear poo poo up.

God, I miss 3 Minute Warning :(

It'd probably only be a 1 1/2 minute warning now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

You should probably write a bunch of words about Goldust. He feuded with Razor Ramon because he wanted to have sex with him and was basically given a female valet later on so he could turn face. Also Vince giving Adrian Adonis a gay gimmick as a punishment for getting fat.

Quick, someone tell him about that gay wrestling promotion that Luke from Tough Enough used to work for!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Too Much in the late 90s was implied to have a homosexual relationship, or at least I remember lots of "gay jokes" from the announcers but it was never outright stated.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Too Much in the late 90s was implied to have a homosexual relationship, or at least I remember lots of "gay jokes" from the announcers but it was never outright stated.

When they were heels jr would make gay jokes about them which king would deny by claiming they were just really close friends...i think he used to put over brian christopher (his son for those unaware) extra hard when jr would make one of the accusations but i cant be certain.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

oldpainless posted:

It wasn't just gay jokes. They were supposed to get married on PPV, I think St. Valentine's Day Massacre in February, 1998. It took Jerry Lawler going to Vince to get it stopped.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

WeaselWeaz posted:

It wasn't just gay jokes. They were supposed to get married on PPV, I think St. Valentine's Day Massacre in February, 1998. It took Jerry Lawler going to Vince to get it stopped.

One day somehow Vince is gonna finally go through with a gay wedding, dammit!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Then after the ceremony it'll turn out they're brothers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bocc Kob posted:

Then after the ceremony it'll turn out they're brothers.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

WeaselWeaz posted:

Brian tore his ACL thanks to the headbangers which also killed the angle.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Law posted:

I'm writing a paper on masculinity and I'm doing a bit on professonal wrestling. There was this duo I read about earlier in the year, they were basically there as token gay characters to be mocked by all the other wrestlers but I can't for the life of me remember their names. I've tried googling them but it didn't come up with anything. IIRC it wasn't out right stated that they were gay but it was heavily implied. I couldn't say what they were in since I know next to nothing about wrestling but they were around in the last 10 years or so.

If anyone knows who I'm talking about here that'd be a great help.

e:
Ah! Thank you so much!
vvv

Jeez... With all of this "help", maybe you should stop the idea of a paper on masculinity and focus it on why mankind as a whole probably wouldn't suffer if pro wrestling was nuked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CombineThresher posted:

1980s Eddie Murphy has nightmares about this type of thing.

"KANE! I know you've been looking at me. And I KNOW that I've been looking at you...."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

1980s Eddie Murphy has nightmares about this type of thing.

"KANE! I know you've been looking at me. And I KNOW that I've been looking at you...."

YOU LOOK MIGHTY CUTE IN THEM JEANS

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

CombineThresher posted:

YOU LOOK MIGHTY CUTE IN THEM JEANS

"Stone Cold I need to talk to you about all the filth flarn flarn filth"

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Guess what time of the year it is :iamafag:

Sting in the Wrestling Observer HOF: yay or nay?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Guess what time of the year it is :iamafag:

Sting in the Wrestling Observer HOF: yay or nay?

Will he get in? Yes.
Should he? No.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Moose Bigelow posted:

Will he get in? Yes.
Should he? No.

I can't come up with a convincing argument as to why not.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He sucks

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He sucks

I stand corrected.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He sucks

He refuses to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

LightsGameraAction posted:

He refuses to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

He turned down a huge opportunity, both financially and professionally, by refusing to come to WWE and have a match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania. He did this because he feels that WWE will do a disservice to his legacy, and that Vince McMahon is not an ethical businessman.

Rather than sign with WWE, he returned to TNA. Within three months he was put into the ring, in the main event of a pay-per-view, with a man who had showed up to the event completely inebriated and in absolutely no condition to perform.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

He technically didn't turn them down. He received no offer from WWE.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The Goog posted:

He turned down a huge opportunity, both financially and professionally, by refusing to come to WWE and have a match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania. He did this because he feels that WWE will do a disservice to his legacy, and that Vince McMahon is not an ethical businessman.

Rather than sign with WWE, he returned to TNA. Within three months he was put into the ring, in the main event of a pay-per-view, with a man who had showed up to the event completely inebriated and in absolutely no condition to perform.

Very amusing counterpoint: An overwhelming number of wrestling fans, his included, essentially wanted him to wrestle in the most watched wrestling event in history, just to lose in front of millions of people in attendance and watching at home, in what would likely be his only match for the company he never wanted to work in, for the boss he never wanted to work for.

People were cheering for him to make the biggest match of his career be jobbing in a company he hates.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

How many memorable matches does he have? How many of those were good? It's the hall of fame not the hall of very good.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Moose Bigelow posted:

How many memorable matches does he have? How many of those were good? It's the hall of fame not the hall of very good.

Dave Meltzer account spotted

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Dave Meltzer account spotted

Ya know...

But seriously the matches that made his career were Flair at Clash of the Champions on Wrestlemania weekend and the abortion with Hogan at Starrcade and to a lesser extent his series with Muta.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Ya know...

But seriously the matches that made his career were Flair at Clash of the Champions on Wrestlemania weekend and the abortion with Hogan at Starrcade and to a lesser extent his series with Muta.

Nobody remembers Sting for having memorable matches, that's not Sting. People remember Sting as the crazy fucker in make-up who dropped from the ceiling and beat dudes' asses with a steel bat. Sting was memorable because everybody would be staring up in the rafters wondering when he'd drop down next.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

Nobody remembers Sting for having memorable matches, that's not Sting. People remember Sting as the crazy fucker in make-up who dropped from the ceiling and beat dudes' asses with a steel bat. Sting was memorable because everybody would be staring up in the rafters wondering when he'd drop down next.

So he should go in the hall of fame at wrestling observer for observing from the rafters?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Better question, who deserves to be in the HOF more: Sting or Triple H?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

By the criteria, Sting shouldn't be in, but part of me just wants it to happen. Down the road you'll get a guy like Batista in and not Sting, which just bothers me.

Sting should get in because he's Sting is my argument. It's bad, but come on. He's Sting.

STING!

Lone Rogue posted:

I just hate saying Triple H, but probably him. Longer years working with the top guys and a better worker. Both are pretty similar in that they were pushed beyond where they probably should have been.

Since their contemporaries vote, maybe The Game doesn't get in for being such an rear end in a top hat.

ChampRamp fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 10, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

As much as I don't like the man Triple H.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If WCW wasn't a shtihole he would've had more memorable matches and matches without dusty finishes. But that's where he chose to be and is doing the same poo poo in TNA. Why? I will never know. He's kinda hosed either way as WWE really wouldn't work either.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lone Rogue posted:

Triple H hosed a corpse.

Sting did this: http://i.imgur.com/uI8bh.gif

I vote Sting.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

As much as I don't like the man Triple H.

Triple H is already in.

Every year I think they have the discussion "why isn't Sting getting more votes?" when he ends up with like 30%, and every year they make a compelling case against him.

Who all is expected to actually get in this year? Dr. Death was very close last year, and the names Edge and Sting were thrown out but both of them weren't really close if I recall.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

LvK posted:

Jeez... With all of this "help", maybe you should stop the idea of a paper on masculinity and focus it on why mankind as a whole probably wouldn't suffer if pro wrestling was nuked.

There's a film called 'Gay Pro Wrestler' that looks like it might help with your paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RBX posted:

If WCW wasn't a shtihole he would've had more memorable matches and matches without dusty finishes. But that's where he chose to be and is doing the same poo poo in TNA. Why? I will never know. He's kinda hosed either way as WWE really wouldn't work either.

Sting would have been perfect for the WWF in the early 90s. He likely would have got Bret's push instead. Great physique, tons of charisma and can work with pretty much any size. Sting also had a solid reputation backstage and kept his nose clean especially compared to his contemporaries.

It's just he would have never been pushed the way WCW pushed him and he would have never been treated like the top guy beyond 1993 and 1994. I'd hate to see how WWF would have tried re-making him in the Attitude Era. He likely would have left in '97 back to WCW before we could see the horror of Russo giving Sting a new gimmick instead of Scott Hall.