Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Lost Future's ending: have to admit, I wasn't expecting my light-hearted puzzle game to end with the hero weeping in the street after losing his one true love for a second time. The weird thing was, it was actually quite effective emotionally, more so than any 'cinematic' games I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I think that was because Layton is just so likeable. He's smart but not too arrogant, and seems to be a genuinely positive person.

It hurts more when angels fall then regular humans.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My favourite parts of the finale for Unwound Future was anytime when the main theme started blaring. It's beautiful.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
IGN has video preview of Layton 5

I want this game so badly now! Widescreen cinematics :swoon:
And drat, Controlling Layton, on horseback, while he's chasing down a flying guy through 3D streets and allyways, this game is going to be drat fine.

Please Nintendo/Level 5, Give us release info for Layton 4, and then give us 5 not too much longer after.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Holy crap, I need this game and I need it soon. If it was localized now then I actually would have a reason to care about the 3DS.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The girl who presents the game gets about five things wrong about the premise of the game in the first minute.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well, looks like we`ll probably get a trailer for Layton 4 at E3!
Considering Level-5 has filed a trademark for "Professor Layton and the Last Specter"
Something very similar happened last year, where a trademark for Unwound Future popped up around 3 weeks before E3.
Hell yes!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
:neckbeard:

loving finally. I was genuinely concerned we wouldn't get Spectre's Flute at all. Awesome news, I need my Layton fix!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SereneCrimson posted:

Well, looks like we`ll probably get a trailer for Layton 4 at E3!
Considering Level-5 has filed a trademark for "Professor Layton and the Last Specter"
Something very similar happened last year, where a trademark for Unwound Future popped up around 3 weeks before E3.
Hell yes!

Specter, Spectre or Spector?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

YEEEEEEAHHH!

Press site also had a trailer, but for some reason it didn't work when I downloaded it. Expect it on Youtube very, very soon though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yes, yes, yesss :neckbeard:

Hurry up, autumn.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuML3Bis1Zs

I was hoping for a voiced trailer, but hell, I'll take whatever Layton I can get!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I eagerly await whatever batshit insanity Last Specter offers.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
So this is a prequel?

(Lost Future ending)
And not the Luke and Layton in America thats hinted at in the end of Lost Future with the last puzzle?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

So this is a prequel?

(Lost Future ending)
And not the Luke and Layton in America thats hinted at in the end of Lost Future with the last puzzle?

Yeah, it's the first game of a new prequel trilogy.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Hey, Europe (And probably Australia as well), You're getting yet another name change.

Last Specter will be titled...
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Still not quite sure why, aside from Curious Village, the names are being changed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The European names sound better in my opinion, so it's not like I really mind the changes. Still weird.

On that note, I have been wondering: Apart from the namedrop-scenes and Luke's VA, is there any difference in translation between the US and European versions?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad the Layton series keeps getting regularly localized. Hopefully that'll carry over to the upcoming Phoenix Wright crossover, considering that Capcom has apparently given up on localizing the Ace Attorney series. :(

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Lovely News!! :siren:

Viz Media is bringing Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva to North America!
I ended up watching the UK release, in fear of never seeing it over here, and I can attest that it is an amazing film.

And I'd imagine that there will be a re-dub of Luke's parts with the NA voice.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SereneCrimson posted:

Lovely News!! :siren:

Viz Media is bringing Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva to North America!
I ended up watching the UK release, in fear of never seeing it over here, and I can attest that it is an amazing film.

And I'd imagine that there will be a re-dub of Luke's parts with the NA voice.

Awesome poo poo, if there's a Bluray release I'll pick that up since my PS3 refuses to play the one I imported. I did watch the DVD on my laptop though, and it's a really good movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got the first game drat close to release and beat the poo poo out of it but never got to the other games though. All these years later I stumble upon this thread and get a boner for some more Layton and see there's 5 games in total... but only two have been fuckin' released in the US? :wtc:

I want me some Layton. Oh well, time to go get the second game.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Liku posted:

and see there's 5 games in total... but only two have been fuckin' released in the US? :wtc:
:confused:

3 games have been released in the US, and the 4th is coming soon. (With the 5th having a fantastic chance of coming afterwards)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva has a North American release date of November 8th
Pick up your DVD for $20! I know I'll be there. :)

Also, Last Specter is supposed to be out in the weeks prior to the movie release.
So that would give it a September/October release.

Not long til the next Layton fix!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SereneCrimson posted:

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva has a North American release date of November 8th
Pick up your DVD for $20! I know I'll be there. :)

Also, Last Specter is supposed to be out in the weeks prior to the movie release.
So that would give it a September/October release.

Not long til the next Layton fix!

Gosh, I feel bad for you guys. That thing has been out in the UK for months. Would probably work out better to import it, if you're that keen. The only issue is its introduction of Jean Descole who, I suppose, isn't meant to be introduced until the Last Spectre.

I haven't seen it in English, although I personally love the UK voice actors. I'd recommend watching it in JP if you can, I assume the US DVD will have a JP option? For one thing, the VA for Luke is way, way less annoying than either the US or UK voice actor.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
No indication if London Life is going to be still in, right? I hope it will.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

poik007 posted:

No indication if London Life is going to be still in, right? I hope it will.

Press Release posted:

Professor Layton and the Last Specter for the Nintendo DS family of systems is the fourth installment in the Professor Layton puzzle adventure series. It begins a new trilogy that is a prequel to the original games, set three years before the events in Professor Layton and the Curious Village™. The game contains more puzzles than any in the series to date. As a North American exclusive to the overall Professor Layton and the Last Specter package, a bonus role-playing game called Professor Layton’s London Life™ containing more than 100 hours of additional content will be available to players from the start of the game.

Yes! :D London Life is still included. (But... uh, "North American Exclusive"??? It was in the Japanese version, and is this supposed to indicate that Europe won't get London Life?)

Oh god, I am going to sign away so much of my life to this game...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SereneCrimson posted:

and is this supposed to indicate that Europe won't get London Life?

They wouldn't dare! I will personally go to their houses and... and... dress them in silly costumes while they sleep!

And it wouldn't even make sense considering Layton sells more in the EU than the US, AFAIK.

e: on the other hand, it may make sense to cut it out money-wise. I assume the 100h thingy has a large number of dialogue to go along with it? Translating what is essentially bonus content for 5 different languages would hit their budget hard.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I will be so pissed if I have to import this drat game to get the full thing :argh:

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

SereneCrimson posted:

Yes! :D London Life is still included. (But... uh, "North American Exclusive"??? It was in the Japanese version, and is this supposed to indicate that Europe won't get London Life?)

Oh god, I am going to sign away so much of my life to this game...

Yes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/professor-layton-and-the-last-specters-european-release-missing-bonus-rpg-mode/

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

They wouldn't dare! I will personally go to their houses and... and... dress them in silly costumes while they sleep!

And it wouldn't even make sense considering Layton sells more in the EU than the US, AFAIK.

e: on the other hand, it may make sense to cut it out money-wise. I assume the 100h thingy has a large number of dialogue to go along with it? Translating what is essentially bonus content for 5 different languages would hit their budget hard.

It's not only that, it's fitting it all into the cartridge. 500 hours worth of written dialogue would probably be a tight squeeze for a normal RPG, much less one attached to another game entirely.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Text size is miniscule compared to things like graphics or sound. The entire game's text won't be more than a couple hundred kilobytes, uncompressed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's not one hundred percent correct since that amount of dialogue in 5 languages could fairly well amount to take a couple megabytes compressed, which isn't much anyway, but it's a moot debate at this point. I'm importing it. Fuckers.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_X2Bh0XwM

Oh man, finally a voiced trailer.

As soon as I started watching, all I could think about was how much I want this game in my hands.
God I love the Layton series.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Finally finished playing through the first one and I'm instantly in love with this series. Which should I play next? I know that Diabolical Box is second chronologically, but from what I've read, you don't necessarily have to play them in order, and Diabolical Box has more math-heavy puzzles (which aren't my strong suit). Is it ok to go on to Unwound Future? I'm even considering just waiting to get Last Specter, since it starts a new trilogy.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Yeah its totally fine. Diabolical Box is pretty hilarious in how ridiculous the mystery is, but it does introduce a character who is part of Unwound Future's plot.

EDIT: Thats not to say Unwound Future isn't absolutly ridiculous either. They both have their share of "WHAT?!!!!"

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
So now that London Life is confirmed to be in the NA version of Last Spector, I'm hoping we get some more info on what London Life is all about. I know it's an RPG, and it's about 100 hours of content, and I know that it's not about battle, but I'm dying to find out more. I'll probably dip into it after I finish the game proper anyway, but I'd love some info.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

thetrin posted:

So now that London Life is confirmed to be in the NA version of Last Spector, I'm hoping we get some more info on what London Life is all about. I know it's an RPG, and it's about 100 hours of content, and I know that it's not about battle, but I'm dying to find out more. I'll probably dip into it after I finish the game proper anyway, but I'd love some info.

I only spent a couple of hours on it, but it's more akin to Animal Crossing than to a traditional JRPG. You walk around a tiny version on London that has the Layton characters running around, you can play minigames and do fetch quests which gives you money to do things like furnish your apartment and improve your wardrobe. It's not deep in any way but it has the silly Layton spirit and is fun for a while.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

orenronen posted:

I only spent a couple of hours on it, but it's more akin to Animal Crossing than to a traditional JRPG. You walk around a tiny version on London that has the Layton characters running around, you can play minigames and do fetch quests which gives you money to do things like furnish your apartment and improve your wardrobe. It's not deep in any way but it has the silly Layton spirit and is fun for a while.

Sounds like a fun diversion when I have nothing to play. As long as it doesn't run in real time like Animal Crossing, it might be a good thing to come back to periodically.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
So... anyone else picking this up at midnight? I feel like a huge loving nerd (in a group of nerds) grabbing the new Layton instead of the new Batman game, but I can't help it. I feel like I've waited so long for another Layton game. I need my fix!!!

Edit: gently caress Gamestop employees. Stupid clerk told me yesterday that it would be available at midnight, but changed their minds when I showed up. Apparently it comes on tomorrow's shipment. I guess I'll have to wait 12 hours.

TK_421 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

:mad:

Went out to grab Batman and Last Specter.
I'm home, and only have Batman, nobody got Layton in.

I'm gonna punch every henchman extra hard for this.

• Locked thread