Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Trin Tragula posted:

I do like the idea of putting stuff made for BBC Four on BBC Two where a significant audience might actually watch it.

Well that means they are essentially making BBC2 what it was meant for in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Kraxis posted:

I'm all for the change to the BBC2 daytime schedule. Means there might be something worth watching on now and again instead of programmes about buying and selling the antiques that i don't have or doing up my house that i don't have.

Granted, Flog It is poo poo - but you would have to pry Bargain Hunt from my cold, dead hands.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ChuckDHead posted:

If anyone's watching Strictly: It Takes Two, it is becoming increasingly clear that Russell Grant is going to become a fixture on the show, even if he gets knocked out of the actual dancing contest.

I genuinely liked the world more when I was under the impression that he had died some time in the 90's.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

If anyone's watching Strictly: It Takes Two, it is becoming increasingly clear that Russell Grant is going to become a fixture on the show, even if he gets knocked out of the actual dancing contest.

I love how into it he is. I always like the celebrities who legitimately seem to be enjoying themselves and want to be there. Anita appears to be in total heaven. Nancy, on the other hand, is there purely for exposure. She even said, "Well our dance went badly but it was amazing television so I'm happy." That's not what Strictly is about :colbert: Jason Donovan is in danger of taking it too seriously, but right now I'm totally loving him because he's so totally dreamy.

I... quite like Strictly.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
*Jason Donovan* is dreamy? Really? This isn't 1993, that's quite a bizarre pick for the man of your dreams.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hoops posted:

*Jason Donovan* is dreamy? Really? This isn't 1993, that's quite a bizarre pick for the man of your dreams.

Well he's probably "dreamy" compared to the other regulars in Iceland.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Pfft, you guys. Jason is amazing.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Hoops posted:

Oh, he's not the man of my dreams, just a dreamy man. I think it's because he's so smiley and lovely. And I think it comes from watching Joseph a lot as a kid. He's so compassionate to his brothers :3:

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Yeah sorry but donovan is a dancing angel deal with it you guys.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BeeZee142 posted:

Nancy, on the other hand, is there purely for exposure. She even said, "Well our dance went badly but it was amazing television so I'm happy.

I don't think we'll be seeing Nancy for long. She's not especially likeable or interesting, I can't imagine that she has a particularly large fanbase to save her by voting (I mean, Jason will probably win by the sheer number of 30-something-year-old women who fancied him in their teens, meanwhile Nancy's a lawyer, which may make her even less popular than the ex-Tory-MP on the show) so if she isn't on top form, she's got no chance. I feel bad for Anton, though. He's a likeable and entertaining personality, so it'd be a shame to see him get kicked out for being saddled with a no-hoper.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Supreme Court posted:

The Fades is objectively fantastic and if you didn't laugh at "when I ejaculate I sprout wings" you are dead inside :colbert:

And then they didn't even show us if he grew them during sex. Massive blueballing, spending half the episode building up to a joke and then nit giving us the punchline.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

They just killed Lancelot in Merlin! I do hope he comes back to life, because Arthur isn't even king yet, nor did we get a really interesting love triangle between them and Guinevere.

All this messing with the timeline is a bit pants. Plus, we didn't get a shirtless scene from any hot knight this episode either.

Rubbish.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I'm just happy the dragon didn't cark it to be honest.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I haven't watched it since mid season 2 (apart from a few bits with Emilia Fox :fap: ) , but do they still have the tired thing of Merlin having to hide being a wizard from everyone?

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Kin posted:

Fixed. I dropped it after episode 2, the ghost monster stuff is ok, the retarded teenage melodrama really isn't.

This could have been a show to fill the void of Being Human, but instead of aiming for the more mature 20 something demographic, they've gone right to the 16 year old bollocks and the only people that find that stuff entertaining are people emotionally stunted or idiots still in school.

I'm not emotionally stunted, i just have very low standards.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Mr Beens posted:

I haven't watched it since mid season 2 (apart from a few bits with Emilia Fox :fap: ) , but do they still have the tired thing of Merlin having to hide being a wizard from everyone?

The circle of characters "in on it" is a bit larger now than it was, but he's still not publicly out. I will say that it has become a lot less tedious now than it sometimes was in series 2, with more continuous story arcs rather than the new little crises being wrapped up every episode.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Bioalchemist posted:

Anybody still watching big brother? This is probably the most interesting thing to happen over the last couple of weeks --> http://bigbrotheruk-s1.channel5.com/c5bb1/video/Day-28-Jay-has-a-shave/
Just to follow up on this, apparently Jay also shat in the freezer a few weeks ago and they didn't show it on TV as confirmed by multiple evictees.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Bioalchemist posted:

Just to follow up on this, apparently Jay also shat in the freezer a few weeks ago and they didn't show it on TV as confirmed by multiple evictees.

Hahahaha. What the gently caress. You're almost making me regret not watching it now.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Still regarding BB, this is from a pretty well established poster over on the DS forums with an apparent 'contact' from endemol

quote:

Jay shat in the freezer. It happened. Several HMs were disgusted and one was going to walk because of it (Aaron) but was talked down. Apparently they brought in a new freezer and disposed of the other one, and provided HMs with extra food to quell the mutiny.

That's what they've been doing a fair bit of this series. Mark was offered money not to walk (he may or may not admit to that).

quote:

I don't know which freezer. I just know that Aaron was going to walk over the incident and they pacified him by replacing the freezer, the food in it and by bringing in some extra goodies.

Why would they not tell me? It was already public knowledge that Jay had crapped in the freezer, they just gave me some extra titbits. Possibly this person is giving out 'authorised' inside info, like Reverse Ferret used to.

Most of it isn't of any great interest (at least to me). But I know this person pretty well now from my days uploading BB to YouTube. I trust what they tell me (though I don't think they have access to everything that happens). I do know that Jay has been scaring (contact's word) a lot of the people behind the scenes with his behaviour. I believe the phone call with his mother came about after he was threatening to go beserk. Such a meltdown could easily see the show taken off air. I think they've bitten off more than they can chew with Jay and just want to keep him quiet until the show is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAxkrh8CCqo

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I watched an episode of IT crowd I haven't seen before last night. Apparently it was series 3, which I didn't even know existed. Boom. The show on afterwards wasn't too bad either, there seems to have been a bit of a glut of university centric sitcoms recently. Although by that I only really mean the one I watched last night, Fresh Meat and...Hollyoaks?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bioalchemist posted:

Still regarding BB, this is from a pretty well established poster over on the DS forums with an apparent 'contact' from endemol

Well, that's a new level of mentally ill for Big Brother isn't it ?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bioalchemist posted:

Reminds me of a bedsit I lived in for a while, except in that case it was the fridge rather than the freezer.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

justcola posted:

I watched an episode of IT crowd I haven't seen before last night. Apparently it was series 3, which I didn't even know existed.

There's a series 4 as well.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Man, have we ever had an HBO-style show about OUR BOYS in WW2? Like a Band of Brothers or The Pacific kind of deal. I'm just wondering.

Blackadder Goes Forth doesn't count because despite being an unflinchingly realistic and emotional journey, it's the wrong war :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Band of Brothers was about Are Boys™, didn't you see the incompetent tankers ? That's what £7 million of licence fee money paid for.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dush posted:

Man, have we ever had an HBO-style show about OUR BOYS in WW2? Like a Band of Brothers or The Pacific kind of deal. I'm just wondering.

Blackadder Goes Forth doesn't count because despite being an unflinchingly realistic and emotional journey, it's the wrong war :colbert:

There's the Battle Of Britain movie with Michael Caine, Ian McShane, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York and Laurence Olivier which is quite good. But a HBO-style drama on Dunkirk/Africa/Battle Of Britain/Italian campaign would be quite good.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Band of Brothers was about Are Boys™, didn't you see the incompetent tankers ? That's what £7 million of licence fee money paid for.

We also had a totally incomprehensible guy in the first episode and a few commandos who didn't do anything in like the 7th or something. :britain:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Bioalchemist posted:

Crikey, that'd never have happened in my day. Good work Dirty Des for weaselling around that whole "duty of care" thing I guess.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
"So do you have any mental disabilities or illnesses that'd be fun to watch?"

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

In fairness, the channel 4 version of the show had a guy with Tourettes (didn't he win, actually?), so it's not like the show has ever shied away from exploiting people with psychological disorders.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Does anybody follow Spooks anymore? Its not what it used to be but...

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

varjoankka posted:

Does anybody follow Spooks anymore? Its not what it used to be but...

I've always loved it, but this series all the characters seem so loving depressed. It's almost as if they know it's the last series.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ChuckDHead posted:

In fairness, the channel 4 version of the show had a guy with Tourettes (didn't he win, actually?), so it's not like the show has ever shied away from exploiting people with psychological disorders.

I don't think letting people with disabilities in is inherently exploitative and I don't think Big Brother exploited Pete in anyway. You'd have a better case arguing that they exploited Nikki in that same series.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Mr. Squishy posted:

A friend got told by the psychiatrist he was shadowing that on Jeremy Kyle the bookers have a checklist of acceptable medications that the guests can be on. I think the idea was that if they were on antidepressants or something they'd be just the right level of nuts for good TV, but if they were on antipsychotics they were too risky to have on in case they went mental and killed themselves afterwards. Not sure how true it is, I admit I am predisposed to believe anything unpleasant about that loving awful program.

I'm also a hypocrite because I've watched things like Superheroes of Suburbia and I'm Your Biggest Fan with no worries, and laughed at poor old Blue Tulip Rose Read even though she was very mentally ill and sad and just loved Mike Read so much :(

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Bioalchemist posted:

The nerve of Holy Moly to keep telling her this was 'alleged' despite her being a witness.

I found Jay to be surprising mature for such a meatheaded looking guy (although I've yet to work out why he's such an angry shade of pink all the time), but obviously his indiscretions are going unreported. Aaron got upset at his casual joking about black peoples' dicks and wheelchairs, and despite being told it was wrong by Big Brother, Jay was looking for revenge for days afterwards, finally attempting to destroy Aaron and Harry's clothes with red food colouring and ketchup, denying it immediately. He doesn't understand the difference between a practical joke and maniacal cruelty.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Padje posted:

The nerve of Holy Moly to keep telling her this was 'alleged' despite her being a witness.

I found Jay to be surprising mature for such a meatheaded looking guy (although I've yet to work out why he's such an angry shade of pink all the time), but obviously his indiscretions are going unreported. Aaron got upset at his casual joking about black peoples' dicks and wheelchairs, and despite being told it was wrong by Big Brother, Jay was looking for revenge for days afterwards, finally attempting to destroy Aaron and Harry's clothes with red food colouring and ketchup, denying it immediately. He doesn't understand the difference between a practical joke and maniacal cruelty.

I've not been following the BB stuff, but when you're in a house filled with a blanket network of hidden cameras and 1 way mirrors with 24 hour surveillance behind them, what the hell would make you think you could get away with ANYTHING like this? Or did he know people would find out but think they'd be on his side? Or just not care?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Fatkraken posted:

I've not been following the BB stuff, but when you're in a house filled with a blanket network of hidden cameras and 1 way mirrors with 24 hour surveillance behind them, what the hell would make you think you could get away with ANYTHING like this? Or did he know people would find out but think they'd be on his side? Or just not care?

There might be cameras but that doesn't mean anyone's watching.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

It gets better, he was freezing it to put in Marks tea.:chef::psypop:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Bioalchemist posted:

It gets better, he was freezing it to put in Marks tea.:chef::psypop:

I bet it would have tasted pretty poo poo-tea (lovely)

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Z-Magic posted:

I bet it would have tasted pretty poo poo-tea (lovely)

:downsrim:

tearrible