Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

jimmychoo posted:

Well, I guess more what I am worried about is whether or not it is a problem at all. Maybe some cats have slightly mismatched eye shape? I can't say it is a very marked difference, or even if it has always like that. It just seems slightly swollen, but maybe that's just how his eye is.

Or maybe he has a terrible eye infection. Before I shell out a bunch of money for the vet, I just wanted an opinion.

...but ok, I'll just take him. :(

If by "mismatched eye shape" you mean one eye is open more than the other, that's a sign of pain in the eye that is more closed/squinting. Sometimes that's the only sign you get that their eye hurts. No, eyes should not normally be different sizes or open different amounts.

If you are referring to pupil size, that isn't good either and should be checked out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Even just giving her a half apple last night she started pacing around before bed. I had to take her out for a dump at night, even though she usually only needs to urinate at that time. I think the apple experiment has been a failure.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Poor Abby! I hope you keep posting about her, it is a little bit like a greyhound version of criscodisco's thread.

Mine won't eat apples, but she does like to take the lettuce-heart when I cut it out and rip it to shreds all over her bed. It's a pain to clean up but I let her do it because it's too cute.

She does get apple in her veg mix though (I raw feed her).

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Silver Nitrate posted:

There's absolutely no difference between store brand and name brand bendardyl just make sure the chemical name diphenhydramine, I think, and the dosage are the same.

My moms old dog was on bendryl in the fall and spring and it really helped him a lot. I never really noticed him being drowsy. Allergies are really weird so them coming in later in life isn't unusual. It is probably a seasonal thing if you haven't switched his food before they started. Maybe your neighbors got new plants or something.

Listen to your vet.

The generic Benedryl worked out great. He's not even drowsy.

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Yeah, my dog has pretty severe allergies, and without the benadryl he's miserable. And dogs develop allergies over time, just like people. Just don't let him drive or operate heavy machinery, and you should be okay.

Will definitely keep him off of the backhoe just in case. Thanks y'all.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

Even just giving her a half apple last night she started pacing around before bed. I had to take her out for a dump at night, even though she usually only needs to urinate at that time. I think the apple experiment has been a failure.

It's not bad for her to poop more, unless it comes out as diarrhea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Anything unusual about this pimple?:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410887&pagenumber=1#post396319837
Linked for possible context; I dunno if any of the other issues could be related. The food, maybe?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Hopefully there are a few fish experts reading this - I was checking the local pet stores tropical fish section and one of the fish they had looked absolutely bizarre. It was freshwater tropical, about ten centimeters long and it had an eel like body, though it had a fin along its back that had large spines every so often and its head was almost completely snakelike - I saw it head on first, and I honestly thought it was a snake and not a fish till it moved and I saw the body. All the staff at the store could tell me was 'it's mean, yeah? name starts with a P... P something, can't pronounce it, yeah? it's like, yeah, right?' Obviously, that wasn't very informative. Can anyone take a guess as to what it was I saw? I'd love more information on the thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

King Doom posted:

Hopefully there are a few fish experts reading this - I was checking the local pet stores tropical fish section and one of the fish they had looked absolutely bizarre. It was freshwater tropical, about ten centimeters long and it had an eel like body, though it had a fin along its back that had large spines every so often and its head was almost completely snakelike - I saw it head on first, and I honestly thought it was a snake and not a fish till it moved and I saw the body. All the staff at the store could tell me was 'it's mean, yeah? name starts with a P... P something, can't pronounce it, yeah? it's like, yeah, right?' Obviously, that wasn't very informative. Can anyone take a guess as to what it was I saw? I'd love more information on the thing.

Maybe a bichir (Polypterus sp.)? You could also try asking in the aquarium thread.

vvv No problem :) Bichir are pretty distinctive. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2011

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I looked to see if there was an fish keeping questions thread, saw that, assumed it was for just showing off your tanks and moved on! Not really an issue though, since I'm pretty sure you were right and it was a Bichir. Thanks for the almost instant reply!

click click
Aug 9, 2006

Olive Bar posted:

Maybe try the burrito method? Burrito cat > wipe butt.

After my cat put her stinky butt on both my hand AND my favorite pair of designer shorts, I had enough. Wiping her butt sucked every bit as much as usual, but your advice got the job done. Thanks!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

How come my dog can tell the sound of my car apart from every other car that drives by on a daily basis, but he can't figure out that every doorbell on TV isn't my doorbell?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
My outdoor cat came home this morning with a bunch of black gooey stuff (odorless, hard to remove) stuck to her fur, mainly her backside, paws and whiskers. I rubbed some vegetable oil on it and about an hour later gave her a warm bath with some light dish-soap. She's still got some on her, and is trying to lick it off.

What should I do from here?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tangy Zizzle posted:

My outdoor cat came home this morning with a bunch of black gooey stuff (odorless, hard to remove) stuck to her fur, mainly her backside, paws and whiskers. I rubbed some vegetable oil on it and about an hour later gave her a warm bath with some light dish-soap. She's still got some on her, and is trying to lick it off.

What should I do from here?

Sounds your cat has been exploring the underside of cars. Try taking a soapy paper towel to the individual spots as best you can and get as much out as possible.

Stop letting your cat outside unsupervised.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
There's a stray cat outside my house (he's been neutered) and he's really affectionate. I don't feed him but I hang out and pet him sometimes.

Anyway this cat rulllles, and I want him to be healthy. It looks like he might have a gum disease? Are there over-the-counter meds I can give him that might be okay? I am thinking of taking him a low-cost vet but I'm a student with 2 cats already taking up all my cash.

Thanks yall.

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
I'm likely being a super paranoid owner BUT... My male kitten got neutered yesterday. When he came home he was right as rain and bouncing around and eating and drinking, looks like he's had a bowel movement too, haven't found any urine though. Today however, he has barely moved. He's incredibly lethargic, even after I gave him his pain meds. Is this normal?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

I'm likely being a super paranoid owner BUT... My male kitten got neutered yesterday. When he came home he was right as rain and bouncing around and eating and drinking, looks like he's had a bowel movement too, haven't found any urine though. Today however, he has barely moved. He's incredibly lethargic, even after I gave him his pain meds. Is this normal?

No that does not sound normal at all and not peeing can be a crisis situation. Please call a vet immediately.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

Instant Jellyfish posted:

No that does not sound normal at all and not peeing can be a crisis situation. Please call a vet immediately.

Agreed. If he has some kind of urinary blockage, you literally have hours to get him seen, not days. Definitely an emergency.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I have an adopted female red eared slider, that spends summers in a huge garden pond, and moves inside the house for winter into a giant tank. I just brought her in for winter this week, and noticed she started rubbing (scratching?) her tail area with her back legs. It's more like pushing motions. She also refused to eat anything (elodea, fresh fish, dried fish). Is she about to lay eggs? I don't have a proper nesting area for her in this tank, just bought a new one today, but it will take another 2-3 days to get the woodwork done before she can move into her new place.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

There's a stray cat outside my house (he's been neutered) and he's really affectionate. I don't feed him but I hang out and pet him sometimes.

Anyway this cat rulllles, and I want him to be healthy. It looks like he might have a gum disease? Are there over-the-counter meds I can give him that might be okay? I am thinking of taking him a low-cost vet but I'm a student with 2 cats already taking up all my cash.

Thanks yall.

That's a rodent ulcer. It's usually caused by allergies. They usually go away on their own in a week or two but my vet has given my cat antihistamines for really bad ones before.

Also, I need advice.

My pup is 5 1/2 months old and as of few weeks ago she was reliably housetrained. All of a sudden about a week or so ago she's developed a habit, seemingly randomly, of pooping all over. She'll even do it right behind my chair, she's done it in her ex-pen, and even when I take her outside and she goes she'll go again 30 minutes after I bring her inside. She was coming to me reliably and getting me to take her out, but she's stopped doing that entirely now.

She hasn't peed in the house in months.

I've tried starting over on her housetraining (crating her and taking her out every 30 minutes until she goes, tethering her when she's not crated, keeping her in an ex-pen) and she's still having about 1 accident a day. She's on a feeding schedule and only gets small treats between feeding times.

What do I need to do here? It's frustrating and I feel like I'm failing at training her, here. :(

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 10, 2011

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Kerafyrm posted:

She hasn't peed in the house in months.

I've tried starting over on her housetraining (crating her and taking her out every 30 minutes until she goes, tethering her when she's not crated, keeping her in an ex-pen) and she's still having about 1 accident a day. She's on a feeding schedule and only gets small treats between feeding times.

What do I need to do here? It's frustrating and I feel like I'm failing at training her, here. :(

Where is she having accidents if you're going back to puppy-K with her? In her x-pen? My gut reaction is to suggest that whatever you're doing, be more strict about it. Have her tethered when she's out and you're watching at all times. Otherwise have her crated. It feels like jail, but the curbing of freedom now will allow you much more later.

She's lost her preference for pooping outdoors, so you need to make it impossible for her to make the wrong choice while simultaneously trying to re-instill that preference for outside. My guess is that you're doing the right things, just not thoroughly enough.

If the poop is gross and runny or in any way unusual you might want to bring her to a vet for a fecal.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

It's usually in her ex-pen, yeah, or I've had her tethered a few times while I'm working and she's gone back behind my chair and done it. Today's accident was when I forgot her lead when we were going out, so I left her out when I went to get it and in those thirty seconds she did it near the door.

And no, her poop's normal.

And, okay. I'll crack down on her a bit more. Sorry pup. :(

Baron Von Face
Sep 6, 2006
who stole my steaks?

Kerafyrm posted:

That's a rodent ulcer. It's usually caused by allergies. They usually go away on their own in a week or two but my vet has given my cat antihistamines for really bad ones before.

Seconded, we discovered my old cat had an allergy to the plastic in her food and water dishes when she started looking like that. Maybe feed him from a ceramic bowl and see if it helps him until you can get him to a vet?

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Veruca Salt posted:

Agreed. If he has some kind of urinary blockage, you literally have hours to get him seen, not days. Definitely an emergency.

I checked his box an he's definitely peed twice today, Which is a very good sign. He just seems to have been very tired. I knew going into this that I'd need to be careful of him blocking... He's on good wet/dry food and always has access to water, and has non-clumping litter. I take my non-blockage seriously. :)

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

Thanks yall.

You can't actually seen into the cat's mouth from that picture, so all I can really say is that the chin looks covered in saliva, which can be caused by inflammation in the mouth or related to dental disease. He should be seen by a veterinarian because (a) dental disease usually cannot be fixed with medication, let alone something OTC, and b) oral inflammation (stomatitis) can be related to FeLV or FIV, or it can be an auto-immune condition requiring steroids or other immunosuppressive drugs.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Found a stray kitten yesterday and took her in, and I'm waiting to get her placed in a cattery in a few days.

Thing is, I can't tell if the kitten still needs milk. She took to the slushy kitten food pretty well so I assumed she was past nursing. But I took another look at her eyes this morning and they're kinda a blue gray. Should I go get some formula for her?

Pictures:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Naw that cat is way past the age of needing milk. Kibble or wet food is just fine.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks, that's a relief to know. People were saying blue eyes means the kitten is still nursing, so I kinda freaked a bit (and turned to PI).

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
It can take the eyes a while to change--so yeah, her eyes are still kind of a baby-cat color, but she's plenty old enough to be eating. Gorgeous cat!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
She's adorable. She looks like my friend's cat named Em. For the big M on her forehead. :3:

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
So I have 2 cats (one I got somewhere around 5 years ago and is really skittish) and another which we got about 2 years ago. They have been getting along great up until yesterday when they randomly started charging at one another (usually the non-skittish one is doing the charging and the other is doing the growling/hissing). I suspect that it may be because there is a stray cat that keeps randomly going past the window they like to sit in.

Anyways my question is, what can I do to help them out? I kept them separated overnight because I didn't want them killing each other in the night and cat fights freak me out. This morning they started doing it again.

Edit: This just got more confusing. They just got into a fight and I ran after them to break it up and they both ran under my bed to hide together? :confused:

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 10, 2011

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Any breed recommendations for a small, short hair, lower energy dog? In the ~~5-15lb range give or take. My only criteria is that it does not look like those fluffy toy doodle dogs ie maltese, shi tzu, havanese, bichons.. I realize its not that great to judge by looks but I really dont like they way they look.

Not too serious about getting a dog right now nor would I be getting a dog from a breeder but Id love some suggestions to keep in mind while I browse petfinder every few days. Unless people know of good breeders in nyc :I

ie: Ive honestly never considered a good breeder from out of state with shipping, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing... Id definitely want to actually SEE the dog/puppy first before committing so I dont know if I should be keeping that as a real option

Malalol fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 11, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Malalol posted:

Any breed recommendations for a small, short hair, lower energy dog? In the ~~5-15lb range give or take. My only criteria is that it does not look like those fluffy toy doodle dogs ie maltese, shi tzu, havanese, bichons.. I realize its not that great to judge by looks but I really dont like they way they look.
Breeds that come to mind are flat faced dogs (pugs,frenchies,bostons) and fluffy girly dogs like papillons and pomeranians. I think a lot of toy breeds are "lower energy" because it simply doesn't take as much to tire them out from their size, and they weren't bred for any particular need other than companionship.

Yappy rat dog thread probably has more suggestions though. :)

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Italian Greyhound? They're kind of fragile though. Griffon bruxellois have a unique look, if you like squishnoses. Chinese crested are different again. My advice would be to go to a dog show and have a look around the toy breeds to see if anything catches your eye.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Maybe a tibetan or king charles spaniel? I agree with notsoape, go to a dog show and do some window shopping!

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare
Seconding IGs: they don't need to be fragile at all! Radar's breeder also breeds Iggies that have won Best In Fields while coursing next to the big guys--plus they are frigging adorable. Here:https://www.alfheimigs.com/karl.htm

If I didn't have kids, I'd be all over them. (Okay, that and the potty thing that toys have.)

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
^Tell that to rescues, thats going to be another hurdle : )
I had found one that was perfect on petfinder because it was good with another animals, especially birds, but they wanted a big yard and other dogs to play with, neither of which I have.

Long haired dogs dont agree with the family : (
I adore italian greys...the whole fragility thing is scary, there is a local rescue who requires that you have couches backed against a wall (which we don't and cannot change) because apparently they like to jump off and injure themselves. What the hell dogs >: \

Malalol fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 11, 2011

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Does it have to be purebred? My 18lb mutt Cooper was a rescue and he's low-energy, super sweet, and travel size. I couldn't even begin to guess what breed he is but he's the perfect mellow, cuddly apartment dog. You could visit a shelter and probably find exactly what you're looking for.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friends have three Iggies. One female is very tiny, slightly below the breed standard, and sustained a broken leg from leaping off a bed when she was a puppy. The other female is a bit bigger, but did break her tail as a puppy by wagging it into a coffee table. As adults, they are pretty indestructible. The male is the largest, near the top of the breed standard, and has had no issues with fractures at any age.

They are definitely a breed that you want to get from a solid breeder, though. My friends didn't know any better when they bought the older two (pet store puppies :(), and they both have a ton of inherited health problems. Thyroid issues in the male, digestive and eye problems in the older female.

Other than making sure you get a dog with the best possible health history and genetics, you just have to be careful with them when they're little babies, really. No different than other breeds of similar size. My friends' dogs are tough enough to deal with a very active three-year-old, and they played pretty hard with my full-size greyhound without anybody getting hurt.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Even if its a mutt, Id like to know what breeds to look out for :) I would assume terrier mixes to still have more energy needs than, like you guys suggested, a pug mix.

Do IGs really have terrible teeth problems? If I were to look into a breeder and not rescue, I'd be dealing with a young puppy that'll be a terror to housebreak...and making a broken bone fund too it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Malalol posted:

^Tell that to rescues, thats going to be another hurdle : )
I had found one that was perfect on petfinder because it was good with another animals, especially birds, but they wanted a big yard and other dogs to play with, neither of which I have.

Long haired dogs dont agree with the family : (
I adore italian greys...the whole fragility thing is scary, there is a local rescue who requires that you have couches backed against a wall (which we don't and cannot change) because apparently they like to jump off and injure themselves. What the hell dogs >: \

Well, unless you have to go through a rescue for some reason, try finding a breeder that does stuff with their Iggies, and ask for the whole truth. Yes, they are wee, and especially as puppies, but the couch thing sounds beyond silly. Some people get off on the weirdness of their breed, such as excess fragility or whatever. Avoid those people at all costs! (Although, I guess Iggy rescues probably have a lot of BYB puppers that may well be fragile.)

There aren't too many other smooth-coated toys that aren't smoosh-faced. MinPins? I personally wouldn't, but that's me. Cresteds? They're not very hairy. Doxies?

Edited to add: A good breeder will likely have a retired adult available, if you don't want to deal with an evil puppy. But I don't think IGs are any harder to deal with as puppies than any other toy--they're just the toys I've had the most contact with, so they seem so itty bitty and insidey-poopey in comparison.

badmomrising fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 11, 2011