Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

New Castle set coming out:

More.

I wonder if the Falcon knight means that Kingdoms ties in with all the pre-2000 sets like Black Knights, Royal Knights, Dragon Knights, etc.

:coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh god one of my local malls got a LEGO store!

My savings. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Condolences on your wallet's loss. Dont forget to post your purchases.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3 posted:

Oh hello again. Been off the LEGO wagon too long, fired up LDD and whadyaknow, some of these hero factory bits are actually quite swell for robot building!

(click for flickr!)

(and without fancy-shmancy graphics)
It's technically an old build but I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul so expect more stuff in the near future!
That's a very nice Bigfoot you've got there.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Sorry I can't read the hundreds and hundreds of pages, but, I was wondering: Is there one agreed-upon "best value" set if what you want to do is get a bunch of regular bricks? Rather than minifigs, trees, etc?

I remember some years back there was one specific "bucket" for sale that was sort of agreed upon as the best thing to buy -- you got X number of 1x1, 2x2, 2x4, etc bricks for Y price. Is there such a set now?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

internetstuff posted:

Sorry I can't read the hundreds and hundreds of pages, but, I was wondering: Is there one agreed-upon "best value" set if what you want to do is get a bunch of regular bricks? Rather than minifigs, trees, etc?

I remember some years back there was one specific "bucket" for sale that was sort of agreed upon as the best thing to buy -- you got X number of 1x1, 2x2, 2x4, etc bricks for Y price. Is there such a set now?

https://www.bricklink.com

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

3 posted:

Oh hello again. Been off the LEGO wagon too long, fired up LDD and whadyaknow, some of these hero factory bits are actually quite swell for robot building!

(click for flickr!)

(and without fancy-shmancy graphics)
It's technically an old build but I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul so expect more stuff in the near future!

Is that a nano mech? He seems grossly outnumbered by all the sperm enemies.

(You did a nice job)

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Made a pick-a-brick run, oh yeah:

I loves me some trans pieces.

I had not seen the two black piece types at the bottom of the pic before.

The Hillsdale CA store staff told me the PAB wall is getting a full refresh in about two weeks. I don't know if the other stores are on a similar schedule.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Condolences on your wallet's loss. Dont forget to post your purchases.
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was with my girlfriend, and when I got excited about buying Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and Pet Shop she dragged me out of the store.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I managed to get 3 of the Sun's Lego giveaway on Saturday. The guy behind the counter at WHSmiths just grabbed some from the box and gave them to me. Same happened today with the Potter one. The lady just gave me a couple of bags for asking.

Saturday's was a little Venator Star Destroyer thing. I conbined two of them and made one long-rear end version of it:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Another moc. The pilot is Anubis, Egyptian god of the dead, because I felt like using that headpiece.

\/\/\/\/\/

I just noticed that now that you pointed it out. My subconscious is a genius!

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 11, 2011

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

Faceship! :haw:
I love the "ears" on this, really gives it a lot of character.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was with my girlfriend, and when I got excited about buying Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and Pet Shop she dragged me out of the store.
Entice her back in by explaining that buying two copies of each and waiting a year, you'll be able to resell one set for enough to pay off both set's price! :haw:

ireladd posted:

Is that a nano mech? He seems grossly outnumbered by all the sperm enemies.

(You did a nice job)
He made a Bigfoot. A mecha with an old-style car as the torso, that plays basketball and wears mecha-sized Nike shoes, from a show called Basquash!.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 11, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: gently caress

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Lucky you. I have a store relatively nearby, but my fiance's an enabler of sorts.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Entice her back in by explaining that buying two copies of each and waiting a year, you'll be able to resell one set for enough to pay off both set's price! :haw:

He made a Bigfoot. A mecha with an old-style car as the torso, that plays basketball and wears mecha-sized Nike shoes, from a show called Basquash!.

Oh I know. Well, I didn't know about Bigfoots, but I know it wasn't a nano-mech or anything. Just made a little joke about the energy trails looking like sperm. :)

I picked up the VW Camper Van this weekend. Can't wait to build it, with so much detail put into the various aspects of it it'll look great on my shelf. And the girlfriend is a Vanagon nut, so she volunteered to help. :)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^^^
You can see my version of the hero robot here. That show was... pretty insane.

Anyway, time for a photodump! This is an overhauled version of two previous builds, the Mark 3 Gay Deceiver and the AS-503 Darien Gap. In addition, since I build LDD-only like 99% of the time, I've gone to the extra effort of snazzing up everything with gratuitous design bits.

Taste the rainbow!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
That owns. Don't know what else to say, but I definitely think more people should do this sort of thing.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah, props to you, 3, those are great!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Holy poo poo Star Wars stuff is expensive. I know that's not exactly breaking news or anything, but I'd never really looked into it until just now.

I told my kid if he sold his Duplo he could get some "big boy" lego. And he said he wanted Star Wars, specifically a "bad guys spaceship with lots of shooters". He doesn't even really know what Star Wars is yet.

I haven't been able to find anything that fits the bill that isn't really expensive though. I was hoping for £20 or so, but all the sets in that price range look really anemic. The £40ish sets look better, but they're a hell of a lot of money for what they are. At the moment it's a toss-up between ARC-170 Starfighter and General Grievous' Starfighter.

And speaking of LEGO stores... we're off to the Discover Center/Store again on Friday. Going to be really tempted to get my first proper "grown-up" set for myself. We get 10% because we've got annual passes. For the non exclusive stuff I'm guessing Amazon is still probably cheaper than official store less 10% though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, it's really disappointing how much extra is tagged on to licensed sets. Still, the larger sets get somewhere closer to value for money. :smith:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Gravy Jones posted:

Holy poo poo Star Wars stuff is expensive.

If your son doesn't care about minifigs, you can get the sets a lot cheaper without them. Here's General Grievous' Starfighter for $20 for example. Even with shipping it's still almost $18 less than at the store.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Hell, if you shop a bit on ebay you can get them even with the minifigs for a lot cheaper. I paid half off retail for my new in box grevious' starfighter.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
If he doesn't really know what Star Wars is, maybe nudging him in the direction of Alien Conquest would work. There's lots of sets that fit the bill for a ship with "lots of shooters".

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Gravy Jones posted:

Holy poo poo Star Wars stuff is expensive. I know that's not exactly breaking news or anything, but I'd never really looked into it until just now.

I told my kid if he sold his Duplo he could get some "big boy" lego. And he said he wanted Star Wars, specifically a "bad guys spaceship with lots of shooters". He doesn't even really know what Star Wars is yet.

I haven't been able to find anything that fits the bill that isn't really expensive though. I was hoping for £20 or so, but all the sets in that price range look really anemic. The £40ish sets look better, but they're a hell of a lot of money for what they are. At the moment it's a toss-up between ARC-170 Starfighter and General Grievous' Starfighter.

And speaking of LEGO stores... we're off to the Discover Center/Store again on Friday. Going to be really tempted to get my first proper "grown-up" set for myself. We get 10% because we've got annual passes. For the non exclusive stuff I'm guessing Amazon is still probably cheaper than official store less 10% though.

Honestly I would say splurg if its his first Lego set. One of my fondest memories with my father is him helping me build my first Lego set (Big Rig Truck Stop, my dad drove trucks so I wanted that one). Honestly it seems like Lego is something that a lot of people end up taking with them into adulthood and the first set is a really important memory.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

MotU posted:

Honestly I would say splurg if its his first Lego set. One of my fondest memories with my father is him helping me build my first Lego set (Big Rig Truck Stop, my dad drove trucks so I wanted that one). Honestly it seems like Lego is something that a lot of people end up taking with them into adulthood and the first set is a really important memory.

If you think about bigger Lego sets being in the same class of gift as video games--or even video game consoles--it gets a little easier to stomach. I'm not sure if this was my first set ever, but it is the first one I can remember. Hell, here's a photo, because seeing it takes about thirty years off my age:

Just like MotU, building it and playing with it is a very clear memory of mine, and that's back from when I couldn't have been older than five years old or so, which fits with the release date.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I've been avoiding this thread for ages because I recently rediscovered Lego as an adult (will be 22 in a couple months). I'm already spending the bulk of my non-grocery money on Lego and I knew this thread would just make me want to buy more...

I couldn't avoid it any longer. I had to take a look. I'm going to go back and read the entire thread over the course of this week. Lego sets were a big staple of my childhood. I was going back and finding the sets I had as a kid (still have bits and pieces of them left but a lot of my childhood bricks ended up "somehow" mixed into my older brother's collection). Lots of memories! I specifically remembered how much I wanted this set as a child (hope this pic isn't too big):

Which I'm sure was expensive as heck. She did however meet me halfway and got me this set:

As of right now I have about one of these full of my childhood Lego parts:

Then the sets I've bought as an adult. As an adult I'd have to say my favorite sets are the Lego Architecture ones even though they're pretty dang expensive. I have the Fallingwater (which I have loved since I was a kid), the Guggenheim and the Empire State Building. I've also got a couple of Technic sets, a handful of those really small 3-in-1 Creator sets (the ~$5 ones in the plastic containers), and some other sets here and there. Architecture, Technic and City are my favorites, but I basically buy based on what I can afford at the time. Got an Atlantis set (can't remember the name just now) at TJ Maxx last week for about half of its usual price. My mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year and I told her just to take me shopping. I think it was understood that I meant "let's go buy me some Legos".

One thing I wanted to ask is thread is if any of you know about working at Lego. I'll be graduating soon and I'm really interested in applying there. Not for the designer type jobs, I'd mostly be applying based on what's available at the time but ideally I'd like to get a web developing job. I've also seen technical writing type jobs, but honestly as a graduate I'm not too picky I just need a job. The only accounts I could find of people who worked there were from people who designed sets and things like that. They were all very positive, but it'd be nice to find out about Lego as an employer from other perspectives.

e: And while I'm asking questions, what's the most inexpensive option for a train set? I don't even care if it's a working set like one I remember seeing in the stores, I just like trains and would like some Lego trains. All the sets I've seen have been pretty dang pricey though.

GidgetNomates fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

I specifically remembered how much I wanted this set as a child (hope this pic isn't too big):

Which I'm sure was expensive as heck.

$80 according to Brickset!

quote:

She did however meet me halfway and got me this set:

More like a quarter of the way. $20 set. :)

quote:

e: And while I'm asking questions, what's the most inexpensive option for a train set? I don't even care if it's a working set like one I remember seeing in the stores, I just like trains and would like some Lego trains. All the sets I've seen have been pretty dang pricey though.

The cheapest, most recent train set I can think of is the Toy Story train, which you can get for $70 at Amazon. It was recently on clearance racks at some stores, so you may be able to find it cheaper, while it lasts. I think it's discontinued.
Going back through brickset, the 7897 Passenger Train and 10173 Holiday Train are the cheapest non-theme trains at $90, but they were discontinued 2-4 years ago.
The Emerald Night is going to be discontinued, and by all reports it's one of the greatest trains they've ever done, and has a good price:part ratio.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Pyroclastic posted:

The cheapest, most recent train set I can think of is the Toy Story train, which you can get for $70 at Amazon. It was recently on clearance racks at some stores, so you may be able to find it cheaper, while it lasts. I think it's discontinued.
Going back through brickset, the 7897 Passenger Train and 10173 Holiday Train are the cheapest non-theme trains at $90, but they were discontinued 2-4 years ago.
The Emerald Night is going to be discontinued, and by all reports it's one of the greatest trains they've ever done, and has a good price:part ratio.

I'm not feelin' the Toy Story one (especially for $70) so I guess if I want a train set I'm going to have to save up some!

Testro
May 2, 2009
Emerald Night was a wonderful build. It was my first foray into trains (I've ordered another train, power functions and track for Christmas already) and I loved it. I'd recommend getting that one, for sure.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

InfinEight posted:

If your son doesn't care about minifigs, you can get the sets a lot cheaper without them. Here's General Grievous' Starfighter for $20 for example. Even with shipping it's still almost $18 less than at the store.

Nice tip. I'll check that out. Also, LEGO a lot cheaper in the US apparently (not that that's saying much. Everything is).

Edit: People splitting the set and seeling the General Grievous figure for more than the ship :aaa: Found a couple and could get the ship and a generic trooper battle pack or "The Battle For Naboo" with lots of droids for the less than the whole set new. Might do something like that.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 11, 2011

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

GidgetNomates posted:

I finally picked up a bulk lot of about 10lbs on Kijiji which I think has this set in it. It's missing a lot of parts though, however there is that cave portion with the stickers on it and some of those yellow bubble windows from the sub. I'm trying to think what I can do with them in order to make something cool.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

CADPAT posted:

I finally picked up a bulk lot of about 10lbs on Kijiji which I think has this set in it. It's missing a lot of parts though, however there is that cave portion with the stickers on it and some of those yellow bubble windows from the sub. I'm trying to think what I can do with them in order to make something cool.

Pretty much the only parts I have left are those bubble window pieces. Well, I've probably got some more generic pieces from it, but that's harder to tell. I think I've also got one of the diving suits too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the Maersk Train today, I hope it's as fun to build as it looks on the box. Next month I'll order the parts to motorize it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I remembered that there's a Lego store in Chicago today, and I'm flying to Chicago in a week. In theory I could pick up one of the modular sets for a lot cheaper than over here in the UK, and then bring it back...

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

The_Doctor posted:

So I remembered that there's a Lego store in Chicago today, and I'm flying to Chicago in a week. In theory I could pick up one of the modular sets for a lot cheaper than over here in the UK, and then bring it back...

I was there this past weekend and saw that they had the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium. It's a nice shop, and the trump tower outside it still blows my mind. Where are you staying? It's on the south end of Michigan Ave.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 11, 2011

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
I tried finding this myself but no luck--has anyone ever made a real-life version of Lego Island? I loved that game as a kid. If I had the room and the pieces necessary I'd try it myself but surely someone out there in the world of Lego has made this.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Gravy Jones posted:

Nice tip. I'll check that out. Also, LEGO a lot cheaper in the US apparently (not that that's saying much. Everything is).

Edit: People splitting the set and seeling the General Grievous figure for more than the ship :aaa: Found a couple and could get the ship and a generic trooper battle pack or "The Battle For Naboo" with lots of droids for the less than the whole set new. Might do something like that.

I think they have some sets that are just a handfull of minifigs with some helmets and weapons and stuff. You could buy a set stripped of minifigs and then a pack of minifigs only, best of both worlds.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

I was there this past weekend and saw that they had the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium. It's a nice shop, and the trump tower outside it still blows my mind. Where are you staying? It's on the south end of Michigan Ave.

Oh yeah, I've been there once before. I remember that their PAB wall is very poor. I'll be out in St Charles, but I'll get a couple of days downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I've been there once before. I remember that their PAB wall is very poor. I'll be out in St Charles, but I'll get a couple of days downtown.

They actually just moved more south of their old location (maybe 3 months ago?). Their PAB wall is much bigger now - although I don't know about the quality; I rarely even look at it.