Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

xcore posted:

Super noob reading this forum for the first time.

I have a big metal non-stick pan. It's a decent brand (can't remember off the top of my head, i can find out when i get home if need be). Whenever we cook meat with it that has a coating, whether it be crumbs or a marinade or in the case of the other night, a cut of lamb with a mustard and garlic crust all of it finishes up sticking to the pan and not sticking to the meat.

Even when i fry simple stuff like some mashed potato in butter or even an egg, it all just ends up sticking to the pan. It really sucks because you end up just having this pan with massively burnt marinade that stinks the whole house while i have a barely cooked piece of meat with no marinade left on it.

Am i doing something wrong? Someone i know mentioned something about "treating" the pan. What is that and is that my problem? If it is, am i still able to treat it do i have to that when it's new?

Throw it away and buy a new one. Sorry. If everything you're cooking sticks to your nonstick pan, it's time for a new one. And my advice is to spend a little bit of money to upgrade from "decent". A quality 10-inch nonstick can last a long time if cared for (no metal ever) and is one of the first kitchen items that I'd recommend to a beginner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

A few more words about nonstick care. Use low or medium heat, since extremely high temperatures can ruin the finish. You should be able to clean out the interior of the pan with a damp cloth and maybe a little soap, but allow the pan to cool first and never submerge the hot pan in water. Never scrub it with dish detergent or run it though the dishwasher. Don't let metal touch the nonstick surface, and if you store your pans nested in each other put a cloth between the two to protect the finish. Be vigilant :)

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
What's the difference between a good knife and a lovely knife besides sharpness? I bought a chef's knife for $2, but it seems decently sharp. I'm told I "should" spend ~$30 on one. What am I going to notice in the cheaper knife?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

For two bucks I'm guessing either the knife is serrated, which is bad, or will go dull in a matter of weeks if not days. It's also probably not particularly well-balanced or shaped. A good knife has, in addition to much better quality steel which can hold an edge longer, solid design in how it should feel in your hand and move while you cut things with it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

yes posted:

Throw it away and buy a new one. Sorry. If everything you're cooking sticks to your nonstick pan, it's time for a new one. And my advice is to spend a little bit of money to upgrade from "decent". A quality 10-inch nonstick can last a long time if cared for (no metal ever) and is one of the first kitchen items that I'd recommend to a beginner.

I'm such an idiot. I typed my question in haste. It's not non-stick, it's 18/10 stainless steel. It's a Scanpan Konik. I have edited my post for clarity. Does that change your advice?

http://www.scanpan.dk/Produkter/SteelCookware/Konik/FryPan

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

xcore posted:

I'm such an idiot. I typed my question in haste. It's not non-stick, it's 18/10 stainless steel. It's a Scanpan Konik. I have edited my post for clarity. Does that change your advice?

http://www.scanpan.dk/Produkter/SteelCookware/Konik/FryPan

To solve your problem: let get hot but not too hot, then add the oil. You don't want too much. Let the oil come to temperature, and then get a good sear on both sides, using a good metal turner to get under the piece of meat without scraping off the breading or coating.

Then put the entire pan in the oven and let it finish cooking to the desired doneness. Use a mitt or hot pad to remove the pan, and again use a nice turner to remove the meat.

Stainless steel is pretty indestructible. If you've grown up using non-stick, it can take a while to get used to different cooking methods, but once you do the results are fantastic. Non-stick teaches a lot of bad habits and limits what you can do (such as high heat quick cooking or developing a good fond for sauces).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is a reminder that smashmouthman is going to be eating two dozen eggs this afternoon.

Please join us for a live broadcast.

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:13675.10777028252/rid:70d3d1133c7f3ad0845512d40a85b0e0

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

User-Friendly posted:

What's the difference between a good knife and a lovely knife besides sharpness? I bought a chef's knife for $2, but it seems decently sharp. I'm told I "should" spend ~$30 on one. What am I going to notice in the cheaper knife?
A really cheap knife can also just break on you--careful if you're chopping something big and tough like cheese or turnips, the tip or the whole blade can snap.

When you're ready to spend $30, buy this. It's now my favorite knife and I use it more than my $100 Henckels knives.

Luuq
Nov 27, 2007
hurrikaani
So I'm organizing a sort of student dinner party for 25-30 people with an African theme . I'm in charge of the food but I have no idea what to make. The dinner has a 3course menu (starters, main dish, dessert). I could of course google some stuff (actually did it already) but I'm checking here if anyone has any experience with making African themed food (doesn't actually have to be African food, as long as it fits the theme) or has any ideas what to make. Thanks! :)

Luuq fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 10, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

When you're ready to spend $30, buy this. It's now my favorite knife and I use it more than my $100 Henckels knives.

I've eyed that for a while, but the handle seems really thin- is it thicker than it looks?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I paid a little extra for the full tang Victorinox, and I wish I hadn't. Mostly because it's a wooden handle. Never buy a knife with a wooden handle.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

https://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/spicy-chicken-breasts/detail.aspx

I'm prepping to make this now, but I don't have a grill. I have a stove top pan and an oven - how should I cook a spice rub chicken breast?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Econosaurus posted:

https://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/spicy-chicken-breasts/detail.aspx

I'm prepping to make this now, but I don't have a grill. I have a stove top pan and an oven - how should I cook a spice rub chicken breast?

Honestly, if it's boneless skinless chicken breast, just throw that sucker on a frying pan with a little oil. You'll be fine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

I've been rooting around in the archives and adding pumpkin recipes to the Wiki, so here are some more options for you as far as savoury pumpkin dishes go:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Kaddo_Bowrani
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pumpkin_and_Mushroom_Pie
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Pumpkin_and_Sweet_Potato_Soup
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pumpkin_Soup_with_Mussels

Those are the ones just added, but there are more at http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:Pumpkin and http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:Squash.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Luuq posted:

So I'm organizing a sort of student dinner party for 25-30 people with an African theme . I'm in charge of the food but I have no idea what to make. The dinner has a 3course menu (starters, main dish, dessert). I could of course google some stuff (actually did it already) but I'm checking here if anyone has any experience with making African themed food (doesn't actually have to be African food, as long as it fits the theme) or has any ideas what to make. Thanks! :)

Moroccan cuisine is BOMB!!!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

There *was* a fantastic Moroccan food thread around here somewhere; I'll see if I can find it for you. I don't think it's been archived yet.

Edit:

Zef chefs and their slutty koeksisters [South African food] (I'll wikify everything when I get time)

Moroccan Cuisine... a primer. (ditto)

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:African

:colbert:

OK, there are now guides for Moroccan and South African cuisine here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:Other_Guides

and recipes from the threads I mentioned have been added here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:African

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 10, 2011

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Comic posted:

I've eyed that for a while, but the handle seems really thin- is it thicker than it looks?

No, it doesn't need to be. Victorinox knives are all you will ever need unless you decide to cook for a living. Even if you do cook for a living, you don't need much more than Victorinox knives.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
On the knife discussion, here's something that will really help any aspiring home cook. Go to the grocery store and spend twenty dollars on three sacks: a sack of potatoes, a sack of onions, and a sack of carrots.

Study proper knife technique, and just practice. Attack an onion with the random hack and slash method, and then try to do it properly. Then do it properly again. And again. Peel a carrot and try to do a few different cuts with it. The potato can get more complicated, but learn how to slice off a portion so you can have it rest on a flat surface, and concentrate on making uniform fries or a dice or rounds or whatever. Get to know the smooth slicing motion with your thumb and forefinger pinching the blade rather than a brute force chop with a fist grip.

It sounds like you're wasting a lot of food (and yeah, you can try and eat all of this stuff), but it's really a very cheap self-education, and even if you're an experienced home cook it's not a bad idea to go through the drills once in a while. I was making gazpacho recently and had to retrain myself on peeling and coring overripe tomatoes. Things get kind of slippery and nasty if you're not careful.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

benito posted:

had to retrain myself on peeling and coring overripe tomatoes. Things get kind of slippery and nasty if you're not careful.

offset serrated

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Wroughtirony posted:

No, it doesn't need to be. Victorinox knives are all you will ever need unless you decide to cook for a living. Even if you do cook for a living, you don't need much more than Victorinox knives.

Well I ask because my experience with thinner handles on knives is that I'm really not comfortable using them- and I can never get a good grip to do things that require a little strength.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

benito posted:

Attack an onion with the random hack and slash method, and then try to do it properly.

Any tips on how to do it properly?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Frogmanv2 posted:

Any tips on how to do it properly?

Here's a good video from America's Test Kitchen on dicing an onion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fff1xobJ4BQ&feature=relmfu

Try it with a few onions, and ideally you want to end up with a pile of uniform pieces that will all get cooked at the same rate. What you want to avoid is a few big pieces and a few tiny pieces and a bunch of random ones in between. Ditto for slicing rings. The same rules apply to cutting shallots, though on a smaller scale. Proper control of shallot dice can result in a truly amazing sauce.

When cutting a vegetable, slow down, take your time, and try to make all the pieces the same size. And as you get better at it, you can do it faster, and eventually you don't even think about it.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
In his ICSA entry, Elliptical Dick simmered his beef bones for 16 hours. Does that make sense? I'd think that at some point you'll get diminishing returns. Whenever I make stock from bones, I'll simmer them for an hour and a half or two hours. How long should one cook bones?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

hey santa baby posted:

In his ICSA entry, Elliptical Dick simmered his beef bones for 16 hours. Does that make sense? I'd think that at some point you'll get diminishing returns. Whenever I make stock from bones, I'll simmer them for an hour and a half or two hours. How long should one cook bones?

Veg stock: 2 hours
Fish stock: 1 hour
Chicken stock: 3-6 hours
Beef/veal stock: 8+ hours

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

hey santa baby posted:

There are those mystical legends of stock pots that have gone on for decades without starting over. You take what you need, and when the pot gets low, you strain, add more bones and veg and herbs and water and keep going.

I grew up in the Memphis BBQ tradition, where letting the flavor of the rib bones develop in the meat took 8 or 12 hours. When roasting a whole hog or half hog, the time was even longer, stretching into a full 24 hours.

Bones really add amazing flavor, whether you're talking about fish or fowl or flesh. Sometimes I'll take a rack of lamb, slice the meat off the ribs to make a sort of ribeye roll, and then roast the ribs and scraps for a sauce to serve over the delicate lamb ribeyes.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Comic posted:

Well I ask because my experience with thinner handles on knives is that I'm really not comfortable using them- and I can never get a good grip to do things that require a little strength.

If you really want a good, general purpose knife that can last through the apocalypse, get a full tang, forged, good German knife.

Thick blade, pretty good metal, solidly built with a full tang and strong handle, heavy, super sharp but not razor blade sharp, can stand up to some abuse unlike hard but brittle Japanese knives. Good grips, ergonomics, and hand feel will depend on the make and model.

Buy a knife with as many of these attributes as you can afford.

In any case, Victorinox knives have been tested. They aren't the best of the best, but really, what are you planning to do with your knives. They are good enough for almost anything you can throw at it.

A standard chef's pinch grip should give you more than enough strength to handle almost anything. Two hands, one in the pinch grip and the other pushing down at the halfway point of the blade should be able to handle even the hardest of cheeses. I'm talking a thick slice off of a hard block of aged parmaggiano cheese.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

benito posted:

There are those mystical legends of stock pots that have gone on for decades without starting over. You take what you need, and when the pot gets low, you strain, add more bones and veg and herbs and water and keep going.

I grew up in the Memphis BBQ tradition, where letting the flavor of the rib bones develop in the meat took 8 or 12 hours. When roasting a whole hog or half hog, the time was even longer, stretching into a full 24 hours.

Bones really add amazing flavor, whether you're talking about fish or fowl or flesh. Sometimes I'll take a rack of lamb, slice the meat off the ribs to make a sort of ribeye roll, and then roast the ribs and scraps for a sauce to serve over the delicate lamb ribeyes.

I love BBQ. There's nothing like smoking an 8 pound chunk of pig over coals and hardwood smoke for 10-12 hours, and then reaping the results. Bones and slow cooking tends to lead to delicious results when cooking tough cuts of meat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stupid newbie question here... Is there a relatively easy way to make a good szechuan style sauce to go on my girlfriend's upcoming homemade dumplings? Sourcing ingredients isn't an issue, there's a fuckton of asian grocery places round here. I'm not a total kitchen novice, and I'm excellent at following instructions, but I don't have fantastic equipment (some bowls and lovely knives, mortar and pestle, horrible electric stove, crappy pots and pans).

I'd really love a recipe, but it would have to be pretty hand-holdy-step-by-step instructions or I will doubtless gently caress it all up completely.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Black vinegar, chili oil 1:2 ratio you can add soy sauce and/or sugar to taste. Maybe grate in some fresh ginger or garlic.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Comic posted:

For what it's worth, I also got a pink PureKomachi chef's knife as part of a package that my dad got me as a gift, and I definitely feel like the handle on that one is too small. Coupled with the light weight of the blade, I'm not a big fan of that knife--doesn't have enough heft for me to feel comfortable. My Victoronox, on the other hand, has a comparable handle to my Henckels knives and has great heft to it.

If you order from Amazon and hate the knife, send it back to 'em and tell them it's the wrong color or something. Or if you can make your way to a kitchen supply store, try one out in your hand. The knife is cheap enough that it's probably hard to find at "finer" knife stores.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Awp, double post. Well, since I'm here: how do you make a tasty spinach filling for omelets? Today I fried some minced garlic in olive oil, then added some spinach, salt, and pepper. It wasn't bad, it was just kind of dull. Any suggestions for something livelier?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Macaroni posted:

Awp, double post. Well, since I'm here: how do you make a tasty spinach filling for omelets? Today I fried some minced garlic in olive oil, then added some spinach, salt, and pepper. It wasn't bad, it was just kind of dull. Any suggestions for something livelier?

Try a bit of raw minced garlic at the end, with some seasme oil. Adds a nice kick, with nuttiness from the sesame oil.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

I paid a little extra for the full tang Victorinox, and I wish I hadn't. Mostly because it's a wooden handle. Never buy a knife with a wooden handle.

Any reason why or is it just personal preference? All of my favourite knives have wooden handles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Upkeep is a bit of a bitch. Gotta keep it oiled or else it can start to rot.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I have a really good french onion soup recipe that I would like to try, however I'm working very unfortunate hours this week. Would it be safe to put the sliced onions in the crock pot and let it go from probably 8am to 8pm on low? Or possibly from 1pm to 9pm? Or am I going to burn my house down?

My bf would be available to stir it occasionally if that would make any difference at all.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

My Victoronox, on the other hand, has a comparable handle to my Henckels knives and has great heft to it.

This is what I was looking for, thanks. Thinking back the heft is probably the most important part- I was equating thin handle to the knife being too light.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Kenning posted:

Upkeep is a bit of a bitch. Gotta keep it oiled or else it can start to rot.

Ah, I didn't know if there were any further reasons. I wouldn't say that was a reason not to buy them, just a thing you need to know if you do. I oil mine up when I sharpen them or when I do my chopping boards (about once a year.) I like working with and looking after wood anyway so it's never been a problem. Well except once when I went away for a fortnight and my housemate left one of my knives in the sink for pretty much the entire time. The handle wasn't the only part of it wrecked though.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 11, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is there a way to cook salmon that won't make my kitchen smell for days? My kitchen has very poor ventilation.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

What are you talking about??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The second week I had the knife, I used it to clean a fish, and I can still smell it in the wood handle. The wood has also warped slightly, so the blade is just slightly loose in the handle. Maybe there are other wood-handled knives that are better, but I'm not happy with my wood-handled Victorinox.