Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Konstantin posted:

You should read the income tax thread. In the very first post, it says:

To be honest, if you are worried about the tax implications of marriage I'd suggest speaking to a tax professional about it.

Someone get entris or 10-8 or that second IRS guy in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

The IRS calls MFS "married filing stupid" for a reason. Nevertheless, when I've crunched my own personal numbers, it's still better to do it than to add in the additional income for IBR. What is lost from MFS isn't really worth the extra student loan amount each month.

Basically, get your wife pregnant and have her quit her job so her income is $0. Yes, IBR is to blame for putting women back in to traditional gender roles.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Tetrix posted:

The IRS calls MFS "married filing stupid" for a reason. Nevertheless, when I've crunched my own personal numbers, it's still better to do it than to add in the additional income for IBR. What is lost from MFS isn't really worth the extra student loan amount each month.

Basically, get your wife pregnant and have her quit her job so her income is $0. Yes, IBR is to blame for putting women back in to traditional gender roles.

But that means that the wife's loans won't be forgiven in ten years! It should be whoever makes less money who quits to raise the kid anyway, why does it has to be the wife?

Edit: Realized you might just be talking about in general. Still, wife doesn't have to be the one to quit, right?

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 11, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

But that means that the wife's loans won't be forgiven in ten years! It should be whoever makes less money who quits to raise the kid anyway, why does it has to be the wife?

Edit: Realized you might just be talking about in general. Still, wife doesn't have to be the one to quit, right?

Men get squeamish around baby poop.
Well at least I do

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

She's not in law school, and her loans are private (oops!!). More importantly, after I graduate, there will be nary a human who can touch my earning potential with my new JURIS DOCTOR degree. Sure, I'll only start out at 160k, but once I make it rain I should be a partner in 2 or 3 years. Either that or I can use my JD to venture in other areas. The law school education is a training in problem solving, and corporate boards love the fact that JDs can analyze problems from a legal perspective.

...yeah, you're probably right, she'll be supporting me.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Sorry, was talking about blar's problem, didn't realize you were talking about your own situation, my fault.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Konstantin posted:

To be honest, if you are worried about the tax implications of marriage I'd suggest speaking to a tax professional marriage counselor about it.

fixed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Ok, so they now have University of Phoenix style ads for a local unaccredited law school. It makes me sick.

This thing: http://www.humphreys.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=47

You think TTT's are bad.
---

New topic. How easily can a US attorney (admitted MN and CA) get into Canada and practice?
Apparently I might be a Canadian citizen (as my mother was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen and that is enough, apparently), and I'm told you guys have things like an economy and health care.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 11, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Adar posted:

It's tied with every other one for that ranking, though, so you're good.

This thread/the OP need more wacky OCS stories.

Sorry, I know this is a little old, but I've been away. I have a coworker who interviewed for a few summer positions down at UIUC not too long ago. Apparently the students repeatedly got tripped up by standard interview things that, when I went to UIUC, they at least mentioned in mandatory career services presentations. For example, tailoring your cover letter to the employer in question. Or admitting that you were only interested in a paid summer position with the employer, not coming back full time. So it's possible UIUC now is actually as bad at career services as they apparently are at fraud.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

New topic. How easily can a US attorney (admitted MN and CA) get into Canada and practice?
Apparently I might be a Canadian citizen (as my mother was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen and that is enough, apparently), and I'm told you guys have things like an economy and health care.

I will knife fight you for this. I'm Alaskan, I deserve to be Canadian goddamnit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nm posted:

tl;dr: not impossible, not necessarily easy, likely not cheap. Also the only good thing about the Canadian legal job market (well, outside Alberta) is that it's better than yours, so, yaknow, keep that in mind.

The process depends on the province you want to practice in, but generally (unless you're aiming for Quebec, they do everything different there) you'll have to:

a) get a qualification certificate from the National Committee on Accreditations (which can involve either passing challenge exams, individual courses at a Canadian school, or a full Canadian degree program - for an American it'd likely be the second at worst but the NCA will decide based on the info you submit about your education and experience).

The assessment alone costs about $400, each exam costs a similar amount (though it's probably still cheaper than international tuition for the equivalent course at a Canadian school).

b) use that to get admitted to a provincial bar (pass the exams, complete an articling term (usually ten months, though some law societies will occasionally waive part of it for previous experience), and whatever other requirements your particular province has).

In Ontario this part will cost you about $2500 or so, I can't speak for anywhere else.

This program at uToronto may also help you with step a). Also, this page from Ontario lays out the process step by step - it will be broadly similar in most other provinces.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 11, 2011

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Weird sense of deja vu this weekend as I vomited into the dumpster behind my old law school. Ahh, those were the days.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Sorry, was talking about blar's problem, didn't realize you were talking about your own situation, my fault.

We are both doing the 10 year public service forgiveness and she has a better government job than I do. Neither of us are going to do stay at home until after 10 years because she gets insane (in America) time off for cranking out the children. My only concern is keeping our AGI as low as possible and saving for retirement.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

Weird sense of deja vu this weekend as I vomited into the dumpster behind my old law school. Ahh, those were the days.

That's not deja vu, that's nostalgia.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
No, it's dark irony, because thanks to the economy he now lives in that dumpster.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Saga posted:

No, it's dark irony, because thanks to the economy he now lives in that dumpster.

Not at all. I was vomiting because some bankers took me out and got me loaded because they think I am in the 1%. Ha. Fools!

As for deja vu / nostalgia, I did specifically vomit in that dumpster previously, around 1997, so I think it is a toss-up.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

As for deja vu / nostalgia, I did specifically vomit in that dumpster previously, around 1997, so I think it is a toss-up.

:golfclap:

I just created a spreadsheet tracking my billables compared to the other associates in the department (everyone has access to everyone else's billables record), to make sure that I'm not falling too far behind. I can't decide if this is creepy or not.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Not at all. I was vomiting because some bankers took me out and got me loaded because they think I am in the 1%. Ha. Fools!

You household income is sub 250k? Man...where did you go wrong?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

You household income is sub 250k? Man...where did you go wrong?
He must have settled for one of those government jobs. I hear that you only hit the 100K threshold but the benefits are pretty sweet plus you get to spend a little extra time at home. Get some time to work on that book.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

I just created a spreadsheet tracking my billables compared to the other associates in the department (everyone has access to everyone else's billables record), to make sure that I'm not falling too far behind. I can't decide if this is creepy or not.

In our office we compare billables willingly to make sure we stay together as a herd. When the pay is low and unlikely to rise there is greater incentive to limit the # of hours we do vs. trying to out bill everyone.

I vote not creepy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

Ok, so they now have University of Phoenix style ads for a local unaccredited law school. It makes me sick.

This thing: http://www.humphreys.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=47

You think TTT's are bad.

Check out all these luminous credentials

http://www.humphreys.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41%3Alawfaculty&catid=1&Itemid=47

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow, so many of the Humphrey faculty... got their JD from Humphrey.

My first thought was "oh gross" but then

then I realized that Humphrey JD graduates are getting jobs, and in legal academia no less!

edit:

quote:

Kristen Rinaker
A.B. University of Michigan; M.A.T. University of Chicago; J.D. University of California, Berkeley; Admitted to the Ninth Circuit Court and Central District Court; Mediation Center of San Joaquin County
Alternative Dispute Resolution

one of these is not like the others...

entris fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 11, 2011

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

Sorry, I know this is a little old, but I've been away. I have a coworker who interviewed for a few summer positions down at UIUC not too long ago. Apparently the students repeatedly got tripped up by standard interview things that, when I went to UIUC, they at least mentioned in mandatory career services presentations. For example, tailoring your cover letter to the employer in question. Or admitting that you were only interested in a paid summer position with the employer, not coming back full time. So it's possible UIUC now is actually as bad at career services as they apparently are at fraud.

Haha. This is awesome. There is a particular aspie gunner who struck out at OCI even though he's top of the class and on law review. I really hope it's because he was telling employers that he had no intention of coming back after graduation.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Green Crayons posted:

He must have settled for one of those government jobs. I hear that you only hit the 100K threshold but the benefits are pretty sweet plus you get to spend a little extra time at home. Get some time to work on that book.

Nah - 13 years of small firm. I'd do better but only about half of the work I do is on my own clients. The rest is for my partners' clients, and they eat up most of the fees.

I do have lots of flexibility - I have been in the office only about 8:30 to 4 since football season started, and last week I didn't come in at all because I had a sick kid. I still billed, mind you, but I did it from my back porch.

So we are not quite in the 1%, but if my wife gets another promotion at her large faceless corporate entity, we'll be there soon.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Top 1% is more like 350,000 to 400,000 for a household.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

entris posted:

Haha, that's a little bit ridiculous. I can't imagine anyone creating a spreadsheet of other people's hours at my firm.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

"I'm MoFauxHawk, and I only post when I'm destroying someone's dreams."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

entris posted:

It's natural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoaling_and_schooling

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MoFauxHawk posted:

Someone get entris or 10-8 or that second IRS guy in here!
Hell if I know what y'all are going on about.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

entris posted:

We just got the Juris software, so you can check everyone's summary to see where you are in relation to them. Even better, it is presented in color-coded form, so that less than 7.5 hours is brighter red as it gets lower, 7.5-8.0 is white, and 8.0 and up is darker green as it gets higher.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Former Everything posted:

Even better, it is presented in color-coded form, so that less than 7.5 hours is brighter red as it gets lower, 7.5-8.0 is white, and 8.0 and up is darker green as it gets higher.

Like I've always said, white is right.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Anyone else here on the DC lateral market? Looking for someone to gossip (cry) with.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

entris posted:

Not if you like keeping your job.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahaha you guys see this yet?

quote:

The last few years have been a boon for critics of legal education and the profession. Some of the criticism has been legitimate, but much of it has been uninformed. Law school is not a path to instant wealth — it never has been. But in terms of providing career and financial stability, few educational pursuits compare. And in an economy where workers are increasingly required to think, adapt and thrive in changing work environments, the flexible nature of legal training arguably makes it a better investment than it was 20 years ago. Don’t believe the hype. Law school is still worth it.

This whole article is terrible and hilarious.

Also, check out this page: http://www.nalp.org/salarycurve_classof2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

entris posted:

Hahahaha you guys see this yet?

This whole article is terrible and hilarious.
My favourite part of that article is where he tacitly concedes that you're going to be poor as poo poo coming out of law school, but it's okay because of IBR

Totally worth it!!!! lmao

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

My favourite part of that article is where he tacitly concedes that you're going to be poor as poo poo coming out of law school, but it's okay because of IBR

Totally worth it!!!!

lmao

The best part about that is how NALP is mainly just a huge organization for biglaw, and some how biglaw still only accounts for 18% of the salaries reported. I wish there was a report that had EVERYONE in it, including all the unemployed/underemployed people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Layoffs in November. Yay being a lawyer for the government!
I'm going to vegas, I haven't had a vacation in a year.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

MoFauxHawk posted:

It was closer to $1.1 million as of a few years back.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Jaytan posted:

It was closer to $1.1 million as of a few years back.

That's the average, not the boundary, which I think is what people were getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I'd like to commemorate this momentous occasion with a moment of silence. My federal student loan debt has crossed the $200,000 threshold.

Dept of Education posted:

Outstanding Balance: $200,075.23
IBR doesn't even cover the interest accruing each month so my balance continues to go up. I feel like there should be rewards for crossing milestones, like at $250,000 I get a tote bag or something.