Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Oh hells yeah! The Galaxy S2 CyanogenMod guys have managed to fix the A2DP Bluetooth issues! I love this ROM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there a reason ShootMe can't get root in MIUI? :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eightysixed posted:

PicMe can't in CM7 now either. I think it's due to the new Superuser 3.0 but I tried rolling back to 2.3.6.1 and it didn't help either.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^When I tried MIUI I took multiple screenshots with Shoot Me, never gave me any complaints. Is that the only app that is broke? e: though I don't know what version of SU I would have been running at that time.

On my HTC Inspire I really enjoyed my time using CM7 and MIUI. The thing I missed the most about my Gingerbread ROMs (Android Revolution and Virtuous Unity) was this app bar up in the notifications pulldown menu that listed your recently used apps.

It kind of functions like an Alt+Tab, making it really simple to switch back and forth between two or more apps quickly. I felt really ham stringed losing that ability in CM7, is there any kind of plugin that does something like this or is it a feature of Gingerbread only?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
That's an HTC sense feature. Not sure about an alternate though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about long-pressing Home?

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^When I tried MIUI I took multiple screenshots with Shoot Me, never gave me any complaints. Is that the only app that is broke? e: though I don't know what version of SU I would have been running at that time.

On my HTC Inspire I really enjoyed my time using CM7 and MIUI. The thing I missed the most about my Gingerbread ROMs (Android Revolution and Virtuous Unity) was this app bar up in the notifications pulldown menu that listed your recently used apps.

It kind of functions like an Alt+Tab, making it really simple to switch back and forth between two or more apps quickly. I felt really ham stringed losing that ability in CM7, is there any kind of plugin that does something like this or is it a feature of Gingerbread only?

Hold the home button for a list of recent apps, in CM you can configure the number of apps you want to see there as well

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

eightysixed posted:

Vol Down + Menu will take a screenshot for you.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mark Larson posted:

Vol Down + Menu will take a screenshot for you.

You are a God among men :worship:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Its Facebook. The newest update forces location via GPS and not coarse. In fact it doesn't even have a permission for coarse, only fine. So any time it launches, even silently to poll for updates, it's going to ping for GPS. I turned off all notification updates in FB settings and it seems to behave now.

Although I've seen people report this causing Facebook to outright crash, I revoked GPS privilege from Facebook and so far it seems to be behaving itself.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

brc64 posted:

Although I've seen people report this causing Facebook to outright crash, I revoked GPS privilege from Facebook and so far it seems to be behaving itself.

How do you do that? I'd like to do the same since it bugs me that GPS kicks in whenever I use Facebook.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

air- posted:

How do you do that? I'd like to do the same since it bugs me that GPS kicks in whenever I use Facebook.

I did it with LBE Privacy. Some folks do report that withholding permission from within CM7 settings causes FB to FC.

Side note: I already removed the Groupon and LivingSocial apps from my phone because they would auto start and try to get GPS in the background, I'm at the point where I'm about to do the same with the Facebook app. The only thing I use it for is uploading pictures anyway, I use the browser for everything else.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Is anyone aware of a method to allow the camera app to launch on top of the lockscreen similar to how the phone app and beyondpod's lockscreen controls work? I'm on CM7.1. Bonus points if it works with the physical camera button.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ZShakespeare posted:

Is anyone aware of a method to allow the camera app to launch on top of the lockscreen similar to how the phone app and beyondpod's lockscreen controls work? I'm on CM7.1. Bonus points if it works with the physical camera button.

You can change to the Ring lockscreen style and add the camera as a custom app. I don't know about using the camera button though.

Settings > CM settings > Lockscreen > Style Options

Set the Ring style, then make sure the Custom app starter box is ticked. Scroll down and you'll see the Custom application option; you can add four apps/shortcuts to this quick start menu.

nimper fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 11, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

air- posted:

It's a new feature in CM 7.1. First, make sure that Permission management is enabled in Settings-> CyanogenMod Settings-> Applications.

Next, go into Settings-> Applications-> Manage Applications-> Facebook, them scroll down to the list of permissions. Tap on the permission you want to revoke and a line will appear through it. Tap again to grant the permission.

Like I said, some people report that doing this makes Facebook crash, so if it does that to you, you'll probably need to grant the permission again. So far it's been working fine for me... no more mystery GPS icons and I'm still getting my push notifications.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey thanks for explaining how the permissions revocation in the latest stables works! I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. This is especially helpful since LBE Privacy Guard is broken until the latest version is translated from Chinese. I'm a paranoid git and don't think that Maps needs to be checking my location every couple hours :tinfoil:

Edit; Oh hey nice, permission control in CM7.1 just causes apps to crash instead of rejecting a permission and allowing the app to continue functioning like LBE. What the hell people, this can't be that hard.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 11, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

After updating from CM7.1 RC1 to CM7.1 a couple of apps show that they are incompatible with my device on both the phone and the web.

Anything I can do about this?

I haven't paid much attention to talk of this before in these threads...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

nimper posted:

You can change to the Ring lockscreen style and add the camera as a custom app. I don't know about using the camera button though.

Settings > CM settings > Lockscreen > Style Options

Set the Ring style, then make sure the Custom app starter box is ticked. Scroll down and you'll see the Custom application option; you can add four apps/shortcuts to this quick start menu.

Thanks, I know about this, but it doesn't make the camera come up on top of the lockscreen. I want to be able to launch the camera (and only the camera) without unlocking my phone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm playing with the cm ring lockscreen too, custom apps camera and phone. It brings up the phone every time in the call log view mode instead of the dialpad. I changed a couple things in the dialer prefs but it didn't help. I was using sliding tab until a few mins ago and the dedicated phone slider always brought up the dialer right.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 12, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ZShakespeare posted:

Thanks, I know about this, but it doesn't make the camera come up on top of the lockscreen. I want to be able to launch the camera (and only the camera) without unlocking my phone.

This would be awesome, but I haven't found a way to do it. Ideally, I'd like to leave a PIN lock on and just be able to access the camera quickly without any hassle...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Hey thanks for explaining how the permissions revocation in the latest stables works! I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. This is especially helpful since LBE Privacy Guard is broken until the latest version is translated from Chinese. I'm a paranoid git and don't think that Maps needs to be checking my location every couple hours :tinfoil:

Edit; Oh hey nice, permission control in CM7.1 just causes apps to crash instead of rejecting a permission and allowing the app to continue functioning like LBE. What the hell people, this can't be that hard.

This is the fault of the app, not CM7. When this feature rolled out app developers scrambled to counter act it generally by having the app self destruct with a FC if it encounters permission blocking. Some devs don't care, Rovio. Some do. LBE is different in that it blocks permissions at a high level in the OS so apps generally think they are working fine. Either wait for LBE or don't use lovely apps.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

After updating from CM7.1 RC1 to CM7.1 a couple of apps show that they are incompatible with my device on both the phone and the web.

Anything I can do about this?

I haven't paid much attention to talk of this before in these threads...

Are you using a custom pixel density? For me, only 240 or 160 work. If that's not something you've messed with, I'd suggest just clearing the Market cache and trying again.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Still looking for a good MIUI theme that doesn't have an off-center lockscreen like every non-slider one I've found.

Changing lcd density doesn't affect this at all. Lockscreens like Colors or other multi-app ones always appear offset to the left. I don't know if this is because of the qHD screen on my Evo 3D but I can't find anything that works.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Either wait for LBE or don't use lovely apps.

Maps, Google Voice, and Gmail all force close if I deny them any sort of permission via Cm7.1 permission management. LBE I've never had an issue with. Somehow I suspect that official google apps can only be marginally classified as "lovely apps", let alone any of the other multitude of apps that I've utilized in combination with LBE without issue.

The point still stands. Cm7.1 permission management is kinda borked if it doesn't allow me to still utilize an app if I deny it even the most minimal of permission. Maps doesn't need my location every half hour. Google voice doesn't need to sync with my contacts list every hour, nor does Gmail. Nevermind Rom manager wanting my IEMI every time it boots up. Swiftkey, Vellamo & Antutu benchmarks wanting my contacts list and/or IEMI/location; all this is unacceptable. They don't need it to function.

These are all respected apps from recognized developers. I don't see why it is so difficult to do permission management in the same fashion as LBE Security guard. Having a management system that effectively breaks applications is as good as not having one at all.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Slopehead posted:

Maps, Google Voice, and Gmail all force close if I deny them any sort of permission via Cm7.1 permission management. LBE I've never had an issue with. Somehow I suspect that official google apps can only be marginally classified as "lovely apps", let alone any of the other multitude of apps that I've utilized in combination with LBE without issue.

The point still stands. Cm7.1 permission management is kinda borked if it doesn't allow me to still utilize an app if I deny it even the most minimal of permission. Maps doesn't need my location every half hour. Google voice doesn't need to sync with my contacts list every hour, nor does Gmail. Nevermind Rom manager wanting my IEMI every time it boots up. Swiftkey, Vellamo & Antutu benchmarks wanting my contacts list and/or IEMI/location; all this is unacceptable. They don't need it to function.

These are all respected apps from recognized developers. I don't see why it is so difficult to do permission management in the same fashion as LBE Security guard. Having a management system that effectively breaks applications is as good as not having one at all.

Most of what you mentioned have perfectly legitimate reasons for those permissions. SwiftKey, for example, wants access to your contacts so that it knows their names for word prediction.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Slopehead posted:

The point still stands. Cm7.1 permission management is kinda borked if it doesn't allow me to still utilize an app if I deny it even the most minimal of permission. ...Having a management system that effectively breaks applications is as good as not having one at all.

I'm no coder except simple shell scripting and some vb like 15 years ago, but I think it's safe for even me to say that it's all going to come down to how the app with revoked permissions was coded in how it deals with those revocations.

And it's not to say that ones that FC because of revocations are shittily coded, what cm has is basically a hack of the whole permissions system that no one coding apps is expecting or catering to.

Say you could do this in windows and you wrote a batch file that was like:
dir >null

And then you went in to some permissions manager and denied that batch file access to device null, it's probably going to crash when you run it.

If you had wrote the batch knowing it might be denied permissions to null and did like:

if exist null goto dur
if not exist null goto urrraa
:urrraa
echo lol error
end
:dur
dir >null

Its not going to crash its going to handle the error however you want it to.

Permissions management is definitely not a "production" thing, google htc samsung and whoever would never include something like that and you can't expect it to work exactly the same when there are so many variables in how a particular app was made. It's a hobbyist/tinkerer type feature on a hobbyist/tinkerer OS dist. (that doesn't even come with those google apps)

I read something once about opensource alts to the google apps, you may be interested in that.

I've denied all my games internet access and no problems except one game, it looks like it has something to handle the error because it kept popping up messages on my screen "trouble displaying ads, would you like to troubleshoot?"

I've not used LBE but maybe it's somehow faking the revoked permission to the app? And CM is simply doing exactly what it says, revoking.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 12, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Joans posted:

Hold the home button for a list of recent apps, in CM you can configure the number of apps you want to see there as well

Holy poo poo this even works on my current Sense ROM, thanks guys!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Those of you trying to block GPS for facebook, I've just gotten into the habit of disabling GPS with my CM7 power widget, then start facebook. Just turning off GPS it doesn't attempt to get your location.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So I asked over on xda and got an answer I didn't like. Is anyone running CM7.1 on the N1 able to get Bluetooth to pair and discover? I haven't been able to do so in a very long time but someone on xda told me they could just fine so now I'm worried since I know the headset is discovered and pairs just fine with her Nexus S. Obviously the next step is a full wipe and I'm not too happy about that idea either but I'll begrudgingly do it if it means I can get my bluetooth back.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krittick posted:

Still looking for a good MIUI theme that doesn't have an off-center lockscreen like every non-slider one I've found.

Changing lcd density doesn't affect this at all. Lockscreens like Colors or other multi-app ones always appear offset to the left. I don't know if this is because of the qHD screen on my Evo 3D but I can't find anything that works.
The alignment issues were fixed in last Friday's build.

Previously I just set my DPI to 270 and everything aligned just fine, lockscreens included.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I just rooted my phone and am using Cyanogen 7.1, thoroughly enjoying it so far. My one issue is with GPS, I use Endomondo to track running/biking workouts, and yesterday it said GPS excellent in the app, but GPS seemed to instantly turn off and it didn't actually track any movement.

Is this something that I should use tasker to change or is there a setting I'm missing that only allows GPS briefly? It looks like it uses gps for 15 seconds or so before turning it off.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Quick question - looks like work is going to give me an Evo 3d which of course I plan to root and gently caress with.

I'm used to being able to Odin back to stock in about 2 minutes on my Samsung, is this possible on the Evo as well? I just want to be able to quickly return the phone to stock if the powers that be want it that way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You should be able to find an RUU to revert to stock on an EVO 3D. Or root it, make a nandroid backup, and reflash it if needed (if they won't notice a custom recovery).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Those of you trying to block GPS for facebook, I've just gotten into the habit of disabling GPS with my CM7 power widget, then start facebook. Just turning off GPS it doesn't attempt to get your location.

My problem was that Facebook was periodically polling GPS even when I didn't have the app open, so unless I left GPS off all the time, that wouldn't help.

Normally I wouldn't really care that Facebook wanted to use GPS, because I can understand the scenarios for it, but since it uses it *so poorly*, I took it away. Still haven't crashed yet. Maybe I'm lucky.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Most of what you mentioned have perfectly legitimate reasons for those permissions. SwiftKey, for example, wants access to your contacts so that it knows their names for word prediction.
That may well be true, but his point still stands that SwiftKey shouldn't need access to your contacts to function, it's a convenience feature.

If all CM7 does is revoke permissions, then what will happen is that SwiftKey will invoke the Contact API and get an exception. Since it doesn't expect this (after all, it's supposed to be able to see them) it doesn't make any attempt to handle/ignore the exception and the program terminates.

I don't know how LBE actually works. But what it could do is hook into the Android API so that any app you've denied "contacts" permission for, it just returns "zero contacts" for any contact lookup method. So the app thinks it still has access to your contacts, it just believes you don't have any. Much nicer that way.

Edit: Actually CM is in a perfect position to do as I described. The source to the framework libraries is all there. They should just have an "Ignore invalid permissions" tick box (which you would want off when debugging an actual app, to make sure you're requesting all the necessary permissions) which modifies API behavior to return null/zero results for any permission-requiring access and ignore any mutations. Hell I'd even be willing to contribute this if I had a phone that was capable of running a non-KANGED CM ROM.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2011

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
A friend with a T-Mobile G2 lost her root after the 2.3.4 OTA update, and asked for help getting it back but I suppose the phone's old enough now that discussion of it is pretty hard to come by. Does anyone know where I could start looking/happen to already know the solution? The old VISIONary one-click root no longer works.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You should never ever try to one click perm root with Visionary+. There is a massive brick risk. Even temp root is kinda sketchy these days.

Look here for downgrade instructions. look here for root instructions. You're going to have to gain temproot, downgrade to 2.2, then gain perm root. After that you can install the OTA located in this thread if she doesn't want to go the Cyanogen route.

\/\/\/\/ XDA is a hellhole and that's really vague advice. If you're going to give advice, be specific and don't make the poor bastard have to dig through that crummy place with tons of contradictory everything just to find the solutions which he needs.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 12, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

E: nm

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 12, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I rarely visit XDA anymore it's a clusterfuck. Just use rootzwiki.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately for an older phone like the G2, XDA is still the best resource for information.