Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not particularly attached to Lion King for some reason, but if I come into this thread next year or whatever and people are shittalking Aladdin I'm going to freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How good is that Alien anthology boxset, I mean come on.

I got it for £13 and I feel like I'm ripping off someone, somewhere.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

feedmyleg posted:

My god, you can definitely tell that this is in the beginning of digital coloring for animated films. Most of those look like what I'd consider to be bad fan-art coloring today. Despite the sharpness I actually think the upscaled version looks better because of the grain and texture. The Blu-Ray makes it look awful. Maybe it's better in motion, though. But some of those gradients are terrible.

e: not in the particular screenshot I quoted, but moreso in the closeups

That's not grain and texture, that's MPEG-2 compression artifacts. Yes, there are some colour tweaks but nothing as comparatively extreme as, say, Pinnochio. Not a lot can be done about the 1994 digital colouring job.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 8, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Is there anything rattling around the rumor mill about either The Wire or West Wing on Blu?

No word on The Wire.

The West Wing seems to have bypassed Blu-Ray and moved straight to streaming (you can buy the HD versions on iTunes/Amazon/etc). Warner sucks at releasing TV shows so the chances of it getting a Blu release any time soon is not good.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

HBO have put a bunch of shows up in HD on iTunes that aren't available on Blu-Ray too (Sopranos Seasons 2-5, Six Feet Under Season 3-5). The Wire wasn't included so I doubt its coming any time soon.

It was shot in 3-perf Super 35 so it's certainly doable, but The Wire was one of those HBO shows that ended up incorporating 60fps video in a few scenes. And David Simon was vehemently against 16:9 so who knows if it'd be 4:3 windowboxed or opened up like The Shield was.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

frumpsnake posted:

HBO have put a bunch of shows up in HD on iTunes that aren't available on Blu-Ray too (Sopranos Seasons 2-5, Six Feet Under Season 3-5). The Wire wasn't included so I doubt its coming any time soon.

It was shot in 3-perf Super 35 so it's certainly doable, but The Wire was one of those HBO shows that ended up incorporating 60fps video in a few scenes. And David Simon was vehemently against 16:9 so who knows if it'd be 4:3 windowboxed or opened up like The Shield was.

quote:

The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

(...)

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/inside-hbos-the-wire

It sounds like they could open it up for the earlier seasons if they wanted to but that Season 4 & 5 weren't protected for 16:9

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope they don't open it up, they used the 4:3 really well.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The "previously on the Wire..." segments on the Season 5 DVD are all in widescreen (and don't appear to be cropped, looks like they're using the full 3-perf width) so I think they kept protecting it for 16:9. I think the quote is more referring to the fact they stayed 4:3 when every other HBO show including Curb, Entourage and Six Feet Under made the switch.

At times the 16:9 version of The Shield has very obvious, glaring problems, including visible cameras, lights, sets, and unsynced audio/visuals. I'd hate for that to show up on The Wire.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Omen Collection dropped down to $19.99 on Amazon. Not bad for four movies, if you are a fan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001ARDBWQ

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Silent Running pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for £4? Yes please!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sporadic posted:

No word on The Wire.

The West Wing seems to have bypassed Blu-Ray and moved straight to streaming (you can buy the HD versions on iTunes/Amazon/etc). Warner sucks at releasing TV shows so the chances of it getting a Blu release any time soon is not good.

It also looks fantastic. I'm in the UK (And own the boxset) so I took a 'peek' at the HD versions and was blown away. A show that had that much work put into it needs to at least be seen in 16x9.

It would be an utter shame if the show never gets released onto Blu.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Dissapointed Owl posted:

For a second I thought you typed Cool Runnings and oh well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For a second I thought you typed Cool Runnings and oh well.

I wish they'd release Cool Runnings with reference quality audio and video. Only then will I be satisfied.

The ultimate Cool Runnings experience!

I mean, Jamaican Bobsledders? Come on, man.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sporadic posted:

The Omen Collection dropped down to $19.99 on Amazon. Not bad for four movies, if you are a fan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001ARDBWQ

Awesome, thanks! I remember this being around $90 when it was first released. Poor packaging or not, I had to bite at the $20 price.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

When they correct the price will they honour orders placed at £4?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Amazon.ca has the LotR set for $45 today. Says it usually ships in 1-3 months. They're having some kind of daily set of deals.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/ref=pe_171390_21124800_pe_row/?ASIN=B004HEWNBO

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Noxville posted:

When they correct the price will they honour orders placed at £4?

I don't know, but the price has been corrected now and I've yet to receive an email. Fingers crossed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Dudebro posted:

Amazon.ca has the LotR set for $45 today. Says it usually ships in 1-3 months. They're having some kind of daily set of deals.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/ref=pe_171390_21124800_pe_row/?ASIN=B004HEWNBO

And for anyone wondering, with international shipping it comes out to around $55 to the US. Also it now says 1-3 weeks. I almost pulled the trigger on this, but I'm gambling on it being even cheaper on black friday, I think I'm gonna wait it out. I might change my mind by the end of the day though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Mean Girls (With Footloose Movie Money!!!) is $9 on Wal-Mart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17013350

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How good is that Alien anthology boxset, I mean come on.

I got it for £13 and I feel like I'm ripping off someone, somewhere.

Are there any added features from the DVD quadrilogy?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Soonmot posted:

Are there any added features from the DVD quadrilogy?
A bit quick and dirty but this should suffice to your question

The Digital Bits posted:

As you all know, there is MUCH new content here as well, created or upgraded specifically for Blu-ray. First of all, there are the new isolated score tracks for each film. Next, in the Quadrilogy set, about 100 of director Ridley Scott's original Ridleygram sketches were inaccessible due to an authoring error. They're ALL now available here. And in fact, the Ridleygrams - and indeed ALL of the artwork, photographs, sketches and other material from the Quad - are upgraded here to full high-def, so you're going to get a better look at them than ever before. As many of you know, the original Alien³ documentary from the Quad set, Wreckage and Rage, was censored by Fox back in 2003, with some 21 minutes cut prior to release - footage detailing director David Fincher's struggles and frustrations on the set. You'll be pleased to know that ALL of that lost footage been restored, making this the most complete version of the documentary to date. On top of that, each of the four feature-length, "making of" documentaries from the Quad set have been enhanced with scores of additional Enhancement Pod featurettes - nearly 4 hours' worth of material over the whole set. This includes great interview stories and anecdotes by cast and crew members, unused outtake footage and more. There's a piece on the influence of Jodorowsky's aborted Dune project on the Alien films, a piece in which Giger describes his philosophy, a piece in which actor Jon Finch talks about how he was originally cast as Kane but couldn't play the part - just great stuff. Essentially, it's all kinds of wonderful little gems that just didn't fit well into the previous documentaries, and so had to be left on the cutting room floor, but now you finally get to enjoy them all. (You can play them all together, or select them individually from a list in the menus.) Aliens fans will delight in the fact that the long-desired "Burke Cocooned" scene is finally on this set in all its glory. (Though to be honest, I can see why it was deleted, as it's a surprisingly quick moment and disrupts the tension of the sequence in which it would have appeared.) In addition, there's a new BD-Java interactive MU-TH-UR Mode that you can access while watching the films. This does a couple things: First, you can see what's being discussed on the audio commentaries at that moment, in case you want to listen to it. You can also access a text track, called the Weyland-Yutani Datastream, which offers lots of little bits of information and trivia. Finally, it also lets you select different topics for which there may be relevant videos, photos and artwork on Disc Five and Six of the set. When you select them, the player remembers your selections, so that when you get to Discs Five and Six, you can go directly to those items if you wish. Finally, the Blu-rays feature a very much appreciated option called Disc Unbound. What this does is, once you've watched one disc in the set - with its usual start-up copyright disclaimers and warning screens - when you take that disc out and switch to another disc in the set, you'll see a Weyland-Yutani logo on the screen as you make the swap. Then, when the new disc starts up, it skips past all the warning screens and goes right into the main menu. Now, THAT'S a cool touch.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bunch of price drops on Amazon today

Dawn Of The Dead (Remake + DVD) - $6.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004ZJZQA6

Lost In Translation - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001AQO400

Audition: Collection Edition - $13.99 (you have to click more buying choices and selselect Amazon for some reason)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002C8YSCE

The Night Of The Hunter - $26.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZYU3TQ

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Sporadic posted:

Thanks for this. It's probably the second lowest it's ever been.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Bunch of price drops on Amazon today

Dawn Of The Dead (Remake + DVD) - $6.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004ZJZQA6

Lost In Translation - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001AQO400

Audition: Collection Edition - $13.99 (you have to click more buying choices and selselect Amazon for some reason)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002C8YSCE

Who cares about Night of the Hunter when Ernest Scared Stupid is only $4.49?!

I'm so jealous of all those Criterion releases you Americans get. I hate that they just region lock it, regardless if it's requested by the rights holders.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Has anyone else picked up the H.G. Lewis 3 pack that Something Weird just put out? The quality is pretty astonishing, and for 12 bucks it's a fantastic deal if you're into exploitation flicks. I can't wait to, pick up their blu of Basket Case now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Has anyone else picked up the H.G. Lewis 3 pack that Something Weird just put out? The quality is pretty astonishing, and for 12 bucks it's a fantastic deal if you're into exploitation flicks. I can't wait to, pick up their blu of Basket Case now.

I got it last week, I've only watched Blood Feast so far but it looks really great. I like that they kept it all to one disc, instead of making it a 3-disc thing and charging more for no reason.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Daveski posted:

I got it last week, I've only watched Blood Feast so far but it looks really great. I like that they kept it all to one disc, instead of making it a 3-disc thing and charging more for no reason.

Any idea if it's region locked? I really want Basket Case :ohdear:

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Daveski posted:

Blood Feast did look great, but I just got finished watching Two Thousand Maniacs and it's even better. It's more damaged than Blood Feast, but that only makes it better if you ask me. I'm glad they didn't clean up the prints very much, it really adds to the whole package.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Any idea if it's region locked? I really want Basket Case :ohdear:

Region locked A according to this :(

quote:

Image Entertainment and Something Weird Video brings 'Basket Case' to Blu-ray on a Region A locked, BD25 disc, inside a blue eco-vortex keepcase. At startup, the disc goes straight to the main menu with music and full-motion clips.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4714/basketcase.html

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Region locked A according to this :(

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4714/basketcase.html

Oh, sonuvawhore :(

Why, I wonder. The DVD was region free, what possible reason could they have :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
American History X/A History Of Violence dropped to $11.49 on Amazon. It's a two-disc set so it is basically the same as buying them separately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004NTDEXY

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Just a heads up: Tree of Life BD + DVD + Digital is on sale at Best Buy for $22.99 (regularly $29.99).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The Conversation

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

VoodooXT posted:

The Conversation

drat, that looks good.

I may have to treat myself and get it the first day.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I thought it the girl in questions was robert duvall's daughter, not his wife.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

A bit quick and dirty but this should suffice to your question

Thank you for posting this, I am buying this all over again :)

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

dreadnought posted:

Just a heads up: Tree of Life BD + DVD + Digital is on sale at Best Buy for $22.99 (regularly $29.99).

Do believe I will have to pick that up. Haven't seen it yet but just based on what I know I think I will enjoy it. Nice that they did the BR+DVD with this one.

Palomares
Oct 13, 2011

by T. Fine

VoodooXT posted:

The Conversation

drat. Gene Hackman looks like a loving sex machine in this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

The Conversation

quote:

• Audio commentary with editor Walter Murch
DTS-HD Master Audio English 3367 kbps 5.1

This makes me wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
So starting with Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern, it looks like the digital copies in Warner blu-ray's are going to be UltraViolet digital copies instead of iTunes-redeemable ones. I see other packages that don't come with a dvd or digital copy, but those say "movie-only". Are those really just the movie thrown onto a blu-ray without special features, or is that some half-assed descriptor meaning "only a blu-ray in this package"?

• Locked thread