Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, idunno. I think a well played team game (assuming reasonable ice time) is a lot more fun than drop-in. Everyone's in it together, you're more wound up, and people do actual hockey poo poo like forechecking and the mythical "playing of the defense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I like playing with at least 2.5 forward lines. So basically at least 7-8 forwards. I am a huge fatass though

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, I like playing organized hockey a lot better than drop-in. People try harder and it's more fun when everything sort of counts. It's a ton more expensive though.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Organised hockey is the best hockey. I love drop in, but it's basically pond hockey but on a surface that is way too big. Pond hockey is the bomb cause there's just no space so you're constantly dangling and making cheeky little passes, which is awesome. On the big surface though, everyone is still playing at the same pace as on the rink, and therefore it's just a lovely version.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't get it. If you aren't tired at the end of your shift you need to skate harder.

Most beer league shifts are too long to begin with, so in my experience if you're complaining about ice time you should take what time you have and sprint even harder.

Playing short benched sucks.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ug, got blown out 8-1 and it would have been way worse if our goalie hadn't stood on his head most of the game.

Dear League Director,

Why did you merge the "beginner" and "advanced beginner" leagues? Please lick my balls.

e: Oh, and the "advanced beginner" team we played has been playing together for 10 years.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 10, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Skated on this tonight:

The blade is completely split in two. Surprisingly, I had no issues. The goal streak is alive at 4 games :whatup:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sellouts posted:

I don't get it. If you aren't tired at the end of your shift you need to skate harder.

Most beer league shifts are too long to begin with, so in my experience if you're complaining about ice time you should take what time you have and sprint even harder.

This also. I'm goddamn exhausted by the 2nd period usually even when I'm doing 90 second max shifts.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

soggybagel posted:

This also. I'm goddamn exhausted by the 2nd period usually even when I'm doing 90 second max shifts.
Yup. And then that one guy takes a six-minute shift and even though he's way better than you, he's completely useless for the last half of it.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Got blown out 7-2 yesterday. We had 6 skaters, one of which was a friend who was cool with helping us out. I got to play defense for the first time, really, ever... so there was that.

The other team had a Russian father/son duo who'd been playing hockey together for like ever. It was both really neat to watch their team work and 100% alarming to me trying to cover either of them.

I throw my hat into the short benches suck arena.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Here's another blowout!

We got our asses whipped last night 5-1. Fuckers on the other team were skating circles around us. Especially their captain: at all times it felt like they had four forwards or three defense.

It was pretty cute when their captain tried pushing me over in the crease as I stood 2 feet taller than him. Probably the only redeeming part of the game for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost a tough 3-2 game last night. Other team had 34 minutes of penalties (45 minute game), with a couple 5v3s and we didn't convert on one PP. :sigh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

Have you ever played D rolling six guys? Unless you're 50, out of shape, or playing check hockey you're just not going to get fatigued.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I think it depends on the league/team/opposition too.. I play on two teams and one is a decent team in a decent league and the other is a bad team in a lower league. I tend to get more tired playing for the bad team because they never set up a cycle or keep possession of the puck for a shift so its a lot of skating. With my "better" team we can keep the puck in the offensive zone for a bit and skate a lot less.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lost a tough 3-2 game last night. Other team had 34 minutes of penalties (45 minute game), with a couple 5v3s and we didn't convert on one PP. :sigh:

Son of a bitch. Does your league ever suspend players for picking up too many penalties? Or was it just that evenly spread across all of their players?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

A couple things. First--to reiterate--I was speaking cumulatively, not about the length of individual shifts, and that drop-in is more economical as a result. Is it as competitive? For the most part, no it's not. Second, call me a liar but I SKATE HARD and I don't get that fatigued in beer league games.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Son of a bitch. Does your league ever suspend players for picking up too many penalties? Or was it just that evenly spread across all of their players?

Yeah, it's a couple games if you get 30 minutes (cumulative) I believe. 4-5 games into the 23-game season and a lot of them have over 10 minutes already.

There's also a per-game limit as well. I think maybe 4 penalties results in a game misconduct? Something like that, as we've definitely had a couple opponents get shown the door for too many penalties before.

Comical score sheet for reference:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=10007

On a side note, I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get any decent scoring chances this season. I feel like I'm skating better and playing better positionally, but for some reason just haven't gotten as many good chances as I had last season. :smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We have:

3 minors or 2 majors in a game = game misconduct
2 game misconducts in 6 months = 1-game suspension
3 game misconducts in 6 months = 5-game suspension
4 game misconducts in 6 months = 1-year ban

Fighting major is a game misconduct and 3-game suspension.

e: those are the rules but the way my league is run I have no confidence that they're actually followed at all.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thufir posted:

We have:

3 minors or 2 majors in a game = game misconduct
2 game misconducts in 6 months = 1-game suspension
3 game misconducts in 6 months = 5-game suspension
4 game misconducts in 6 months = 1-year ban

Fighting major is a game misconduct and 3-game suspension.

Much the same for us. Plus you have to pay $40 to become reinstated after any length of suspension.

On a side note, I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get any decent scoring chances this season. I feel like I'm skating better and playing better positionally, but for some reason just haven't gotten as many good chances as I had last season.

I feel ya. Especially after last night's game where I did next to nothing all night. Only towards the end, with our defeat clinched, did I decide to become a headhunter and just start loving up anyone with the puck (not hitting, just playing the man). gently caress my position. Only then did I get the puck on my stick for any length of time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Have you ever played D rolling six guys? Unless you're 50, out of shape, or playing check hockey you're just not going to get fatigued.

Yeah I dunno, I mean maybe if you're spending all of your time in the offensive zone standing at the point you're not going to get fatigued, but in that case I don't mind because it's too fun to be upset about ice time. If your team is doing that well you should try cycling around, moving positions, etc. Also if that's how it is for the majority of your games, you need to move up a division.

If you are skating back and forth, battling in the corners and in front of the net, you should probably be getting fatigued. You don't have to lower a shoulder to play a physical game. But if you're doing all of this and still are not fatigued, have a center or winger cover you and skate the puck up. If there are 6 non-fatigued people on the bench in the 3rd period the wingers are probably tired and wouldn't mind you leading a rush. If they're not tired as well, you should probably move up a division.

In a competitive hockey game there is plenty of space and time for a full bench to get tired. If that's not the case, I would look at however you can move into a division that allows you to play competitively.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Do the masses go online for jersey procurement, or is it more of a local proshop thing?

Our team is kicking around the idea of footing the bill for jerseys NEXT season (this is our first season together) and I just wanted to be able to be the :eng101: of the group discussion

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

cenzo posted:

Do the masses go online for jersey procurement, or is it more of a local proshop thing?

Our team is kicking around the idea of footing the bill for jerseys NEXT season (this is our first season together) and I just wanted to be able to be the :eng101: of the group discussion

I believe our team ordered local for this season's jerseys (but the shop also functions as your standard online hockey warehouse). An earlier incarnation of one of my team's jerseys came from somewhere online. So really you can go either way. Mostly just check reviews of the places doing your jerseys and get a prototype before you do your group order. That way you can make sure everyone gets (approximately) the right size before they plunk down their money.

IIRC we paid around $65/player for ours (camo jerseys with a smiley face and a bullet hole on the front, our names/numbers on the back - super classy).

---

Got my new runners in. Decided to go with the new flat-bottom v cut. Hopefully I'll get the chance to skate on 'em tomorrow around lunch. They look super flat, almost like there's no edge on 'em.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Getting a stick shaft to the back of the arm, DOES NOT FEEL WELL.

Pretty much goes from just above the elbow, to just before my armpit.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Got my new runners in. Decided to go with the new flat-bottom v cut. Hopefully I'll get the chance to skate on 'em tomorrow around lunch. They look super flat, almost like there's no edge on 'em.

So I had a chance to skate with the new v-edge today (90/75). Took some getting used to, but they really skate with more glide and more edge than a traditional cut. After about 20 minutes I kind of "broke in" my edges in and everything came together. I know my skates felt faster than my old 1/2" cut, but with no loss of control.

I'll probably go with it again next time.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 11, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

zinc68 posted:

Do you have that thing where you bruise really easily? Cause jesus gently caress man, how did you get hit that hard there?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

zinc68 posted:

Do you not wear pads? I'm pretty sure my shoulder and elbow pads protect that very area you're showing.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Find how where zinc68 lives and call CPS, I think he is using hockey to hide abuse:smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

So I had a chance to skate with the new v-edge today (90/75). Took some getting used to, but they really skate with more glide and more edge than a traditional cut. After about 20 minutes I kind of "broke in" my edges in and everything came together. I know my skates felt faster than my old 1/2" cut, but with no loss of control.

I'll probably go with it again next time.

I usually roll with 7/16" and am thinking about going 1/2" last time because really, who needs to turn? Gotta say though, this flat cut sounds pretty interesting. How long did it take you to get used to? Just 1 session?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I usually roll with 7/16" and am thinking about going 1/2" last time because really, who needs to turn? Gotta say though, this flat cut sounds pretty interesting. How long did it take you to get used to? Just 1 session?

Yeah, I took a few laps and they felt weird at first. But I also had new steel in 'em so YMMV. The cut gave me a ton of glide, but I also felt like I had a solid edge on turns. The hardest part was trusting my edges, but after warm-ups and about 4 times out on the ice everything felt pretty normal.

Don't be afraid to try a different cut. It's not like you're going to have to learn to skate again. Worst case scenario, you don't like 'em after a session or two and you go back to the old grind.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I chatted with a guy in the locker room at pickup a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the other rink can do this cut now. I might have to try it out.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

D C posted:

Do you have that thing where you bruise really easily? Cause jesus gently caress man, how did you get hit that hard there?

Nah, I stepped on a stick near the bench and fell straight back. My left arm swung up, and then straight down. The stick I stepped on ripped out of the guys hand, the butt end hit the top of the boards by the bench and stayed up there. My skate was still on the blade of the stick, and as I fell back, the bottom of my bicep / armpit took almost all of the impact, directly onto the stick.

I don't wear shoulder pads to non-checking hockey (they wouldn't have saved me here anyways) and was using my jofa prostock elbow/forearm pads. Pretty much it was just the worst possible place that I could have fallen besides my face.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

See, I think you should skate balls out, but you shift should be short enough that you're OFF the ice before you get tired. Especially that first period, if you're tired on the ice you've been there too long.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Where's a good place to get (cheap/good) gear in Toronto? Is there a Ski/Snowboard type show at some point where everything is super cheap? or is going the used/craigslist route best?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spring is when all the hockey stuff goes into clearance mode. Right now, everyone's gearing up for the new season so the odds of a sale are pretty small.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

zinc68 posted:

Nah, I stepped on a stick near the bench and fell straight back. My left arm swung up, and then straight down. The stick I stepped on ripped out of the guys hand, the butt end hit the top of the boards by the bench and stayed up there. My skate was still on the blade of the stick, and as I fell back, the bottom of my bicep / armpit took almost all of the impact, directly onto the stick.

I don't wear shoulder pads to non-checking hockey (they wouldn't have saved me here anyways) and was using my jofa prostock elbow/forearm pads. Pretty much it was just the worst possible place that I could have fallen besides my face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, going back to my "first hit" chat from the last page, it looks like I actually fractured a rib and I'm going to be sore for 6 weeks until it heals up. :haw:

Doctor was all, "nothing we can do, just take it easy for a while". I nodded my head like I was going to do what he said while at the same time my internal monologue was saying, "six weeks with no hockey? with winter just around the corner? gently caress that, I got goals I need to meet."

I will treat it as motivation to defend my space better.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

D C posted:

Pretty drat near exactly that

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

So, going back to my "first hit" chat from the last page, it looks like I actually fractured a rib and I'm going to be sore for 6 weeks until it heals up. :haw:

Doctor was all, "nothing we can do, just take it easy for a while". I nodded my head like I was going to do what he said while at the same time my internal monologue was saying, "six weeks with no hockey? with winter just around the corner? gently caress that, I got goals I need to meet."

I will treat it as motivation to defend my space better.

Just be careful.

If you get bumped in the rib and scream bloody murder, its not their fault. I would say to take 2 weeks off and see how you feel. Breathing hard with a cracked rib really hurt for me but its up to you and how it feels.

If I've learned anything from all my sports played, let yourself heal. Its not worth pushing it and making things worse in the long term.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

I'm down in Denver. I play lunch league up at Boulder Valley Ice, and I've got an evening league down at DU.

This is an old post but how do you like it at Boulder Valley? I'm thinking about trying to get in to their summer league. However, I haven't played hockey for about 6 years after playing from like age 8 - 21. Bit nervous about getting back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mintskoal posted:

This is an old post but how do you like it at Boulder Valley? I'm thinking about trying to get in to their summer league. However, I haven't played hockey for about 6 years after playing from like age 8 - 21. Bit nervous about getting back into it.

Boulder Valley is awesome. Great ice, everyone's relatively laid back, and the drop-ins are pretty damned fast. I can't speak to their evening leagues but a lot of the guys there skate both, so it's probably just the same.