Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Okay, thanks! I'll let him back out and just keep an eye on them so they don't beat each other up.

Serella posted:

Yes, but from your roommate's point of view, your cat is annoying as gently caress and it's not his responsibility to pay for medical procedures to get her to shut up. v:shobon:v Imagine if your roommate had a yappy dog that barked all the time, you'd be pretty annoyed too. I'd try to keep the cat out of common areas until she was spayed, just to keep the peace.

I wouldn't be annoyed, except he's the one who got the cat and told me she was spayed. It's just a little frustrating.

edit: I don't know, maybe I am being unreasonable. Personally, if I gave someone misinformation (unintentionally or not) about an animal that caused them to spend a lot of money unnecessarily, I'd feel obligated to try and help out somehow.

Radio! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

kaworu posted:

Wow - that's a bit unusual for her to like water so much that she'll go under a running faucet! My kitty likes water too, but in a slightly more limited way. After I've taken a shower, she'll sometimes go into the bathtub and roll around in whatever water is remaining there, getting her sort of wet but not like, dousing her completely. Your cat is the first I've heard of who actually likes being totally soaked!

Also, Jackie did something... really and truly disgusting this morning. I heard the characteristic kicking around of kitty litter earlier, which usually meant she was finishing up her business and getting out of her box. But then I heard a decidedly uncharacteristic whining meow from her. So I went over to see what the problem was, and Jackie was halfway across the room, dragging her butt along the floor (kind of like a dog does sometimes) with a long brown streak behind her :gonk: I immediately freak out a bit and stop her, and there was a piece of poo poo hanging out of her anus that she clearly couldn't get to come out completely via her normal methods. So I extricated it as calmly as possible with a paper towel, and then went to town with various high-powered cleaning products on cleaning the gently caress out of that streak. Luckily it was on a linoleum floor and cleaned up pretty well, but man... that was a truly disgusting job. And it'll take me a while to forget that that happened.

I had to clean up Jackie a bit too (for which I used toilet paper with a little warm water which didn't seem too offensive to her) and that was actually a bit tougher than working on the floor. She, of course, is acting totally dignified and like nothing happened at all, which is one of those wonderful skills cats have that I often envy. Should I be worried about this? Like I said, this has never happened before, should I just treat this as like a freak accident that probably won't repeat itself? Anyone else run into this sort of thing?

She may need her anal glands expressed. Some cats need it done regularly just like dogs.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Radio! posted:

Okay, thanks! I'll let him back out and just keep an eye on them so they don't beat each other up.

I wouldn't be annoyed, except he's the one who got the cat and told me she was spayed. It's just a little frustrating.

edit: I don't know, maybe I am being unreasonable. Personally, if I gave someone misinformation (unintentionally or not) about an animal that caused them to spend a lot of money unnecessarily, I'd feel obligated to try and help out somehow.

Oh well then your roommate is a dick for giving you the wrong information, definitely. Maybe you should start yowling loudly around the house too. I would.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Serella posted:

Oh well then your roommate is a dick for giving you the wrong information, definitely. Maybe you should start yowling loudly around the house too. I would.

I do that when one of my kitties starts yowling for no good reason. Same with when bologna walks around the house just going "maoooow" every few seconds. Usually ends up being us maoooowing back and forth every few seconds, because he seems to enjoy the talking with someone.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Cryptic Edge posted:

I do that when one of my kitties starts yowling for no good reason. Same with when bologna walks around the house just going "maoooow" every few seconds. Usually ends up being us maoooowing back and forth every few seconds, because he seems to enjoy the talking with someone.

Everyone who has a cat meows back. People who say they don't are lying.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

jerkstore77 posted:

How long does a catnip "high" last?

From about 30 minutes up to several hours, depending on the cat and dosage. It's quite possible that your cat got endorphin flooded and now associates hangin out with you with that wonderful feeling.

Also, it may take a while for kitty to 'reset' before enjoying nip again.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Serella posted:

Everyone who has a cat meows back. People who say they don't are lying.

I played this the other day and one of my cats started meowing along in perfect time. It was amazing(ly adorable).

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Fun discovery! My kitten loves water. She hopped in the sink while it was running and rolled around to make sure the faucet got her doused alllll over.

Not completely unusual and it totally adds to her character. Our late old lady cat loved water. Not like she'd just play in the remnants, which she did too, but she would literally come in and get us from wherever we were and cry while we followed her into the bathroom where she would jump into the tub and demand that it be turned on. She would play, drink, chill, etc. She loved baths and getting scrubbed down and we actually had to lock her out of the bathroom when we showered because she would climb in and sit on the shower floor under us and just sit blissfully in the shower stream. It was so bizarre at first but it was who she was. Typing that made me miss that crazy old lady.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

One of my cats is being stupid about his food . . . This has been developing over the past several months or so. He's decided to be extra picky for no apparent reason. I'll set his food down and he'll sniff it a bit and then look up at me. We keep trying various things to get him to eat . . . Trying a different food only works sporadically. Washing his bowl differently didn't seem to help. It seems like once he gets a taste of the food he'll often start eating but you have to convince/trick him to try it by using your finger or smearing it on his paw or something. He also seems happier if we sit with him on the floor while he eats. Any ideas? He's had a physical at the vet since it started and it didn't show anything although we didn't ask about the problem specifically.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Either my cat is completely loving crazy or he's entered his rear end in a top hat teenager phase. He's spent most of the evening with his back arched walking sideways and leaping at anything that moved. It's kind of adorable, but mostly annoying.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cats can do weird, strange quirky things sporadically for a day or two and then just forget them. It can be quite funny sometimes, or just annoying.

For instance, last night I was playing a videogame that got me particularly frustrated when I kept dying during a certain section, and I got a little bit demonstratively frustrated (which is rare) and made some loud noises punching a pillow/various parts of my couch. This both shocked and fascinated my cat, who had clearly never seen such behavior from me before. About 15 minutes later, of course, she started doing the same thing more or less. I got her this little kitty-cube thing at Target recently for her to hang out and play in and around (which she actually loves) and she started pouncing on it and making the loudest noises possible for seemingly no reason, and then looking at me and meowing inquisitively for approval. She had never done that before, and it was so similar to what I had just done, that I'm convinced she was basically emulating me for fun, like "Oh, okay, is this what we're doing tonight? Attacking our furniture? I can do that too! :3:". It got pretty drat annoying after the cuteness wore off.

RheaConfused posted:

She may need her anal glands expressed. Some cats need it done regularly just like dogs.

Thanks for the suggestion, but... how exactly does one express the anal glands of a cat? Do you have to go to a vet? I think I know what you're talking about, though. Quite a few years back my mom had a recently adopted cat that had been feral, and was terrified of both men and dogs - she only got along with my mom, and did not like me at all at first - it took a year or so until she trusted me to so much as touch her. Once, by accident, she got herself cornered between me and the dog, and utterly flipped out in the most extreme fashion I have EVER seen, and filled the room with an unbelievably revolting skunk-like odor. From what I understand, that was her expressing her anal glands due to extreme stress. I assume there are ways to do this that do not involve scaring the ever-loving gently caress out of my cat. I don't even think Jackie could get that scared, anyway, she's pretty unshakeable, especially in her current environment where she's basically the queen of her own kingdom.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 12, 2011

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

kaworu posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but... how exactly does one express the anal glands of a cat? Do you have to go to a vet? I think I know what you're talking about, though. Quite a few years back my mom had a recently adopted cat that had been feral, and was terrified of both men and dogs - she only got along with my mom, and did not like me at all at first - it took a year or so until she trusted me to so much as touch her. Once, by accident, she got herself cornered between me and the dog, and utterly flipped out in the most extreme fashion I have EVER seen, and filled the room with an unbelievably revolting skunk-like odor. From what I understand, that was her expressing her anal glands due to extreme stress. I assume there are ways to do this that do not involve scaring the ever-loving gently caress out of my cat. I don't even think Jackie could get that scared, anyway, she's pretty unshakeable, especially in her current environment where she's basically the queen of her own kingdom.

Yes, go to a vet. It usually costs $20 or less.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, after 7 days of isolation and a few nose-to-nose opportunities through a cracked door, 14 pound Sherman finally met 4 pound Calliope.

There was a single hiss, then both cats were mostly interested in eating each others' food. Then they chased each other around the house for 30 minutes, got too tired, and chilled out together on the stairs. The kitten was bothering Sherman a bit too much though, so she is back in isolation while they recover.

But no scratches or scuffles! So far so good.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is my 1 year old cat going to go bonkers and wreck our furniture if we're away for a 3-day weekend? My mom will be coming every day to do the usual feeding/litter box/playing stuff but we've only had her a week and she's already pretty attached to us. For what its worth she's alone most of the day anyway while we're at work and she's been fine so far, but in the evening she's proven to be needy for attention.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
This is not a question about Aneta but about how one knows it's time for a pet to pass on.

My dad is a big cat person. We're talking serious devotion. One of my clearest childhood memories is coming home to hear one of our cats, Mog, had been hit by a car, and finding my dad in the back yard sobbing like a baby over his body. When another beloved childhood cat, Callie, never came back from an outdoor excursion he was broken-hearted. When one of our current cats, Roger, freaked out at the vet's office and escaped into some bushes by a highway, he spent eight hours sitting by those bushes coaxing him out. We kids were required to get used to cleaning litter boxes, and if on coming back from a business trip he found them dirty we'd catch hell (one of the few times he'd really get pissed at us for anything). So in considering his actions now, please do not underestimate his love for his kitties.

Anyway, right now Archie, the other family cat, is 18 or 19 and reaching the end of her time. In the past year her quality of life has severely deteriorated. A while back (maybe six months or more?) she went blind and deaf. My parents are not really sure of the circumstances. She was still sort of able to get around. Sort of. She's not exactly like the blind/deaf cats who have been that way all their lives and learned to compensate. Then a few months back she had an accident on the basement steps--slipped on them going up or something--and hurt her back. This has limited her mobility even further. Because he was worried about her hurting herself again, my dad confined her to the mostly-unfinished basement.

So this is her current living situation: she lives in the basement, only windows are the high basement windows and she can't climb up to them anyway. The basement has no carpet and the walls are insulation. My dad's set up his office down there to be with her, so she does have his company during the day. She has started to miss her box. She can no longer clean herself properly. She meows at night because she is used to sleeping on my parents' bed and instead spends her nights alone.

To me, this is a giant heartbreaking mess and the choice seems clear. But my dad insists that it isn't her time yet. He says because she sometimes comes up to him to get petted once in a while she's still happy and enjoying herself, and occasionally she likes it when he brings her up to the porch to enjoy some sun.

Granted, I live three hours away and haven't seen her condition myself, so maybe he's right. But from the increasingly depressing descriptions he's given me of her living conditions, I can't imagine life for Archie is still all that awesome. Archie's been obese for over a decade now and was never all that active. But she did like sleeping around people, sometimes sniffing around the garden, and sleeping in my parents' bed, and she can't do any of those things now.

I think my dad is letting his overwhelming love for this kitty delude him and I don't know what to do. Just let her keep deteriorating until he can't deny it any more? I have danced around the issue with him a couple times and he gets extremely defensive, so I don't think outright confrontation is going to help.

For what it's worth, this is the first time he's had to make this choice with a cat since the only two family cats we've had that passed did not die of natural causes. They've had to put a dog down, but while he liked her it wasn't close to how he feels about his cats.

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 13, 2011

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Schroedinger posted:

So this is her current living situation: she lives in the basement, only windows are the high basement windows and she can't climb up to them anyway. The basement has no carpet and the walls are insulation. My dad's set up his office down there to be with her, so she does have his company during the day. She has started to miss her box. She can no longer clean herself properly. She meows at night because she is used to sleeping on my parents' bed and instead spends her nights alone.

I've known a number of cats who howled at night after going deaf/losing some hearing.

If he's willing to brush her once in a while, keep a rotation of washable cat beds, and keep her warm, she could probably go on for a while. It's not unambiguously a point where I would say her quality of life had gone completely. One of my friends has a 20-year-old cat who's been in a similar state for over a year (deaf, somewhat incontinent, on a host of medications). She still responds to her people and doesn't seem to be in pain, so they've decided to let her hold on as long as she will.

I had a terminal cat who I took into the vet a couple of times, because he seemed so impossibly frail, expecting to put him down (intestinal cancer, lost over half of his body weight). The vet said not to worry until he'd gone 24 hours without eating, and that was really the sign of the end. He had a good six months still enjoying cuddling with his people and my other cat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Schroedinger posted:

This is not a question about Aneta but about how one knows it's time for a pet to pass on.

Engineer Lenk posted:

I've known a number of cats who howled at night after going deaf/losing some hearing.

If he's willing to brush her once in a while, keep a rotation of washable cat beds, and keep her warm, she could probably go on for a while. It's not unambiguously a point where I would say her quality of life had gone completely. One of my friends has a 20-year-old cat who's been in a similar state for over a year (deaf, somewhat incontinent, on a host of medications). She still responds to her people and doesn't seem to be in pain, so they've decided to let her hold on as long as she will.

I had a terminal cat who I took into the vet a couple of times, because he seemed so impossibly frail, expecting to put him down (intestinal cancer, lost over half of his body weight). The vet said not to worry until he'd gone 24 hours without eating, and that was really the sign of the end. He had a good six months still enjoying cuddling with his people and my other cat.
tl;dr: please refer to your avatar

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Schroedinger posted:

My dad is a big cat person. We're talking serious devotion. One of my clearest childhood memories is coming home to hear one of our cats, Mog, had been hit by a car, and finding my dad in the back yard sobbing like a baby over his body. When another beloved childhood cat, Callie, never came back from an outdoor excursion he was broken-hearted. When one of our current cats, Roger, freaked out at the vet's office and escaped into some bushes by a highway, he spent eight hours sitting by those bushes coaxing him out. We kids were required to get used to cleaning litter boxes, and if on coming back from a business trip he found them dirty we'd catch hell (one of the few times he'd really get pissed at us for anything). So in considering his actions now, please do not underestimate his love for his kitties.

Anyway, right now Archie, the other family cat, is 18 or 19 and reaching the end of her time. In the past year her quality of life has severely deteriorated. A while back (maybe six months or more?) she went blind and deaf. My parents are not really sure of the circumstances. She was still sort of able to get around. Sort of. She's not exactly like the blind/deaf cats who have been that way all their lives and learned to compensate. Then a few months back she had an accident on the basement steps--slipped on them going up or something--and hurt her back. This has limited her mobility even further. Because he was worried about her hurting herself again, my dad confined her to the mostly-unfinished basement.

To me, this is a giant heartbreaking mess and the choice seems clear. But my dad insists that it isn't her time yet. He says because she sometimes comes up to him to get petted once in a while she's still happy and enjoying herself, and occasionally she likes it when he brings her up to the porch to enjoy some sun.

Granted, I live three hours away and haven't seen her condition myself, so maybe he's right. But from the increasingly depressing descriptions he's given me of her living conditions, I can't imagine life for Archie is still all that awesome. Archie's been obese for over a decade now and was never all that active. But she did like sleeping around people, sometimes sniffing around the garden, and sleeping in my parents' bed, and she can't do any of those things now.

I think my dad is letting his overwhelming love for this kitty delude him and I don't know what to do. Just let her keep deteriorating until he can't deny it any more? I have danced around the issue with him a couple times and he gets extremely defensive, so I don't think outright confrontation is going to help.

For what it's worth, this is the first time he's had to make this choice with a cat since the only two family cats we've had that passed did not die of natural causes. They've had to put a dog down, but while he liked her it wasn't close to how he feels about his cats.

Has this cat been to a vet recently?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A while back I posted a few pictures of this kitten, so just in case anyone cared she's doing just fine.

I named her Maleficent. :3: Hopefully she'll get adopted quick, she purrs like a motorboat when you pick her up.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Ha, I remember that kitten! She's still ridiculously bat-eared, I see. That's wonderful. :3:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Wulfolme posted:

A while back I posted a few pictures of this kitten, so just in case anyone cared she's doing just fine.

I named her Maleficent. :3: Hopefully she'll get adopted quick, she purrs like a motorboat when you pick her up.

Holy crap, what an amazing looking cat. I want one! Look at those ears.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reverse progress on introducing a kitten to my cat :(

They did so well together the first day, but on day 2 he (the big cat) just wanted to chase her and tackle her to the ground until she would yelp, hiss, and howl for him to stop "biting" her. No slashes or bites have pierced the skin on either of them, but they're using a lot of muscle on each other. Sigh... She's back in the isolation bedroom and I'll just go back to letting them see each other at feeding time for a while.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reverse progress on introducing a kitten to my cat :(

They did so well together the first day, but on day 2 he (the big cat) just wanted to chase her and tackle her to the ground until she would yelp, hiss, and howl for him to stop "biting" her. No slashes or bites have pierced the skin on either of them, but they're using a lot of muscle on each other. Sigh... She's back in the isolation bedroom and I'll just go back to letting them see each other at feeding time for a while.

It could have been a "oh poo poo, that little rear end in a top hat is still here. Well, I'd better show her who is boss" kind of a thing. If they aren't drawing blood or hurting each other, but more scrapping, I'd guess its just your male telling her to remember who the dominant cat in the house is. Good that you gave them a little breather, just keep at it and eventually they'll get into a groove.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bahunter22 posted:

It could have been a "oh poo poo, that little rear end in a top hat is still here. Well, I'd better show her who is boss" kind of a thing. If they aren't drawing blood or hurting each other, but more scrapping, I'd guess its just your male telling her to remember who the dominant cat in the house is. Good that you gave them a little breather, just keep at it and eventually they'll get into a groove.

That's great to hear, thank you. I suppose the little brat did have it coming. She won't leave the big cat alone. He shows a lot of interest in her but is content to just sniff her and follow her around the house, but she dive bombs him, boxes his ears, and bites his tail all the time, which leads him to chase her around the house and tackle her.

Kittens be dicks

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's great to hear, thank you. I suppose the little brat did have it coming. She won't leave the big cat alone. He shows a lot of interest in her but is content to just sniff her and follow her around the house, but she dive bombs him, boxes his ears, and bites his tail all the time, which leads him to chase her around the house and tackle her.

Kittens be dicks

My cats did the same thing for a couple days after I first introduced them (except it was new, bigger cat beating up first, smaller cat). Now they're fine, and well into nose sniffs and occasional grooming territory. Just give it a few days!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

RheaConfused posted:

Has this cat been to a vet recently?

Dad is reluctant to take her because it stresses her out.

EngineerLenk's (and duckfarts') comments are somewhat reassuring. She could just be like an older person nearing the end of their life so she's sleeping a lot?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Schroedinger posted:

EngineerLenk's (and duckfarts') comments are somewhat reassuring. She could just be like an older person nearing the end of their life so she's sleeping a lot?

Well, or she could have some issues causing her pain that could be easily eased with meds. She doesn't sound comfortable to me. The kindest thing would be to get her checked out. I'm sure your dad doesn't want her to be in pain, and when she gets bad enough to show it she will really be in pain.

Changes in behavior indicate illness, but just because she is old doesn't mean it's the end is what I am trying to get across.

And if it is her time he can give the gift of easy passing, as opposed to pain.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 15, 2011

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
She does have arthritis, and I think he gives her medication for that.

Oh yeah, someone requested video of my cat playing fetch, so here you go!

Kitto
Apr 26, 2011

Schroedinger posted:

Would your Dad be willing to get a vet to do a house call? I'm pretty sure that they'll do them sometimes.

Edit: Also, your cat is so beautiful and enthusiastic when playing fetch! :3:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
My wife is a vet student and occasionally gets e-mails from animals who need a home. This time she got an e-mail about a small tabby kitten who needs a home...and is blind. My wife went to meet him and absolutely fell in love.

Now, we already have 2 cats (both under 3 years) and a sweet old lab. We are giving this cat, Goliath, a 3 day testing period, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with blind cats, especially with other animals in the house. How much do they learn? How much supervision do they need?

Any help you all could give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

pandasmustdie
Feb 2, 2005

He deserved it

ManifunkDestiny posted:

My wife is a vet student and occasionally gets e-mails from animals who need a home. This time she got an e-mail about a small tabby kitten who needs a home...and is blind. My wife went to meet him and absolutely fell in love.

Now, we already have 2 cats (both under 3 years) and a sweet old lab. We are giving this cat, Goliath, a 3 day testing period, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with blind cats, especially with other animals in the house. How much do they learn? How much supervision do they need?

Any help you all could give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

All I know about blind cats is that you can do this with them - and that's enough to convince me that having a blind cat would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzPZNSdd5w

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kittens be dicks
I had a cat named Lazlo for a long time. He was incredibly mellow, didn't freak out when new critters were brought home or anything. One of those critters was named Shiva. She (yes, I know) was around 4 months old and thought Lazlo's tail was the best toy ever. Lazlo would glare at her then look at me and I'd tell him "no" while removing the kitten and giving her something else to play with. This worked for a while.

About two weeks into having Shiva in the house Lazlo was hanging out next to me on the sofa, his paws sort of dangling off the edge and his head on them. Shiva pops up from under the sofa and swats his nose. Another look at me, another "no" and Lazlo went back to being half asleep. About fifteen minutes later and Shiva walks past him, doesn't even acknowledge him, but Lazlo had reached his limit and he whacked her on the head so hard she fell over.

There were no more sneak attacks and tail biting after that.

Kittens are dicks. I'd say let the older cat show her what is and isn't acceptable as long as he's not hurting her.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Esmerelda posted:

Kittens are dicks. I'd say let the older cat show her what is and isn't acceptable as long as he's not hurting her.

This has been working. They didn't make much progress when I would follow them around and yelp HEY every time they scuffled, but lately I've been letting him retaliate, unless he starts hurting her. He's pinned her to the ground and they've hissed back and forth with paws raised, but if I don't intervene they eventually just sniff noses and go about their business.

That said, they are BEST friends when it's feeding time or if they were apart all night.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I used to step in myself whenever they got a little too rough too, but pretty much stopped unless one of them yelps during their wrestling. They frequently go from sleeping curled together to licking each other to chasing each other around the house back to sleeping together now though. My bologna has a best friend, its O S C A R.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I brought home a six-month-old cat for Aneta today in hopes that she'd have a play buddy. They're getting along, in as much as there's no territorial or hissing going on. But all he wants to do is cuddle and chill, and she's been following him around batting at him trying to get him to play for the past two hours. I'm hoping that as he gets more food and water his energy will pick up otherwise I just brought him into a torture chamber.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Try playing with him solo (with string or laser) then as he's chasing it, run it into where she's at, and get them both chasing the same item. After a bit, remove the string or laser and see what happens.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Grumples needs to lose some weight, and I'm not sure how to go about it.

At the moment we give both cats a measured amount of Applaws dry food in the morning, which they have available all day (no topups) until they get half a can of Applaws wet at night.

We're both out at work until about 7pm at night so feeding separate meals throughout the day won't work. We could get Light food but Hat is a bit underweight and could do with the extra calories.

Of course we play with him loads but he's lazy and after a minute or so just lays down and expects you to waft the toy within his reach.

Anyone have tips for a fatty cat in a two-cat household?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

marshmallard posted:

Grumples needs to lose some weight, and I'm not sure how to go about it.

At the moment we give both cats a measured amount of Applaws dry food in the morning, which they have available all day (no topups) until they get half a can of Applaws wet at night.

We're both out at work until about 7pm at night so feeding separate meals throughout the day won't work. We could get Light food but Hat is a bit underweight and could do with the extra calories.

Of course we play with him loads but he's lazy and after a minute or so just lays down and expects you to waft the toy within his reach.

Anyone have tips for a fatty cat in a two-cat household?

Timed, separate feedings. They won't mind waiting till 7. It will benefit your skinny cat too. Your fat cat is surely eating your skinny cat's food.

Sasarella
Jul 5, 2004

Wholesome Sassy Sweetness
I have four cats, two dogs. Two of the cats are a year old, and we have two kittens that were born in April and May. The kittens have been dealing with eye infections for about a month now. We have been in and out of the vet quite a bit.

Ash - Siamese Mix
Born May of this year.
We adopted Ash from the vet. They had found him on the side of the road, starving and with nasty eye infections. He was healthy and had been healthy for some time before we adopted him.
Two weeks after adoption, his eyes started draining, lots of pus and swelling. His third eye lid also covered about half of each eye.
They placed him on terramycin for 10 days and it went away.
When Max (see below) started to get an eye infection, Ash's eyes started to flare up again. They were pink, swollen and draining yellow liquid and gunk.
They put him on Polymyxin B/Bacitracin with Hydrocortisone for 10 days, his last day being Friday.
We have been doing warm compresses with clean, soft cloths several times a day to clean the eyes out.
During his most recent treatment and the few days after his symptoms would come and go. One day his eyes look fine and the next they are pink, swollen and draining nastiness. It's as if it is coming and going. We are taking him in again Monday.

Max -
Born April of this year.
Adopted from a local shelter two weeks before we adopted Ash.
After Ash's first eye infection healed, Max's eyes started to show symptoms. They were swollen, draining yellow gunk, and his third eye lid showed.
We took him into the vet immediately
Put on Terramycin for 7 days.
Eye's looked worse, third eyelid now covering 3/4ths of each eye.
Put on Polymyxin B/Bacitracin with Hydrocortisone for 7 days.
Eye's showed no change.
Put on Polymyxin B/Bacitracin without hydrocortisone for 7 days before a checkup, his checkup being Monday.
We have also been doing warm compresses when we clean out his eyes with clean, soft cloths and hands.
His last dose was Friday. His eyes have not changed. Still draining what looks like puss, third eyelid is still there, but now a bit red. He and Ash seem to have a touch of diarrhea, which is new. I am not sure if this is a symptom or because one of my kids left a bowl of cereal out and he got a few licks of milk.
He is also wheezing, but only when he sleeps. Maybe it's snoring instead?
He has been sneezing.
He acts like there is nothing wrong in the world. He plays like crazy, eats and drinks well and other than seeing his nasty eye, you would never think anything is wrong with him.

We are taking both cats back to the vet on Monday for follow up. I am very concerned about permanent damage. We are also worried about our other two cats. Right now they seem fine, but I don't want to have to go through all this again with them. They get a little gunk here and there but no other symptoms. I also would like to know if there is anything I should be asking the vet, anything else I can do here at home, and any other advice you all are willing to give.

Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Cryptic Edge posted:

Try playing with him solo (with string or laser) then as he's chasing it, run it into where she's at, and get them both chasing the same item. After a bit, remove the string or laser and see what happens.

He's ALL about playing with everything else, but he pretty much ignores her. I'm hoping he'll adjust in a few days. I feel bad because he's so darn lovey to people but couldn't care less about Aneta. EDIT: And by "ignores her", I mean if I start busting out the laser pointer, he will run up and down chasing it even as she is climbing on top of him and trying to knock him over. He just gets up and keeps looking for that little red dot. Whenever he goes up the hall Aneta is running in front of him like "Chase me! Chase me!" and he does nothing. :(

Another question: what does a neutered cat butt look like? I have only had one other male cat, and it was clear he was, uh, missing. This is Anatoli's junk and they look untouched to me.

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 16, 2011