Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Matlock posted:

Weird, I guess having cokebottle glasses finally paid off.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on your vision but, to me, I feel like I'm looking through a screen door when I look at a phone with a pentile display. A friend got a bionic a while back and it was particularly egregious on the blue display elements and text which is a shame since it was an otherwise awesome device. I guess if it doesn't bother you though then, by all means get a motorola device since it is supposed to help screen brightness and therefore battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
I have two questions. Sorry if the they have been asked before, but I didn't see them.

1) does sprint charge for roaming data
2) how do I make myself able to send/recieve texts while roaming? I can do everything else while roaming except text. I do have the "data while roaming" checkbox enabled.

thanks for any help

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

CheerGrrl92 posted:

I have two questions. Sorry if the they have been asked before, but I didn't see them.

1) does sprint charge for roaming data
2) how do I make myself able to send/recieve texts while roaming? I can do everything else while roaming except text. I do have the "data while roaming" checkbox enabled.

thanks for any help

They don't charge extra for roaming data but they will cut you off after a certain point, and I've found it's easier to keep data off while roaming and it makes it easier to text. I think it's a limitation of Verizon's 1X maybe

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Matlock posted:

What's wrong with Pentile displays? I looked at the Epic Touch and the Photon side by side in the Sprint store and couldn't tell a huge difference.

The typical complaints are that it has a sort of "screen door" matrix effect, and that straight lines are not actually straight, but are "jaggy".

Here's a comparison shot, click for big:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

err posted:

Did you go in to a store or did you order a phone online? Hesitant to do either until I see "SERO Premium" on my account page. Isn't it regarded that most Sprint reps won't know what SERO is?
If you have SERO, then the only Sprint reps you should ever, ever, talk to are the Employee Care people at 1-866-264-1282. They'll take care of any account changes (like to SERO Premium), then transfer you to Sales when you want to order a phone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Nuts and Gum posted:

One thing that keeps me coming back to a Sense based rom on my EVO 4G is the animated Sense clock. After you use an app and you hit the home button, the Sense clock briefly shows the time at the minute you opened the app, and then the clock flips to the current time. This allows me to know exactly how much time I spend on my phone every time I pick it up. I don't know if that sounds weird or stupid, but I love it. I have yet to find another clock widget that does this.

I always thought this was lag. You mean it's intentional?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

I assumed it was to show off the smooth animation, I find it very soothing :3:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

They probably deprioritize the widget when running an app, then when you drop back out of the app, any change in the time results in the animation. That's my guess.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

err posted:

Did you go in to a store or did you order a phone online? Hesitant to do either until I see "SERO Premium" on my account page. Isn't it regarded that most Sprint reps won't know what SERO is?

I ordered the phone online, but I requested the upgrade to SERO Premium a few weeks before ordering since I wanted to avoid any potential headaches. I definitely would recommend contacting Employee Care - a lot of Sprint store staff won't know how to handle a SERO account.

rhombus posted:

I signed up for SERO waay back. My nights and weekends start at 9PM and I didn't get free texts so I had to add 300 of them for $5/month. My account just shows Fair & Flexible Plan 500. Do you guys think I could sneak a good phone on there without upgrading? Well, I guess I'd have to add the premium data, so I'd only be saving $5/month.

You're technically not on a SERO plan, but a "SERO-like" plan. It's doubtful that you'd be able to add a higher end phone without a plan change, but if you do need a plan change it could be problematic due to the way your plan was migrated. The issue is addressed here:

http://mcguireslaw.com/2010/11/09/finally-a-solution/

My wife had this problem and an e-mail to the address in the link corrected it within a couple days. She wasn't able to upgrade at all until she corrected her plan (although YMMV).

Vastly Outnumbered fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 12, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Widgets don't run when the launcher doesn't have focus AFAIK.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

plester1 posted:

The typical complaints are that it has a sort of "screen door" matrix effect, and that straight lines are not actually straight, but are "jaggy".

Here's a comparison shot, click for big:

I had the Epic for a year of very heavy use and never noticed it. It was pointed out very early on but I was never able to notice it. Some can see it, some can't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

My Evo 4G isn't charging anymore, I think the USB port is dead. My contract isn't up until November 2012, what are my options for having a working phone without paying out the rear end? I'm guessing I'm either going to be buying a used phone on eBay, or an external battery charger. Any chance Sprint will help me out?

Take it to a tech center, that's a known issue.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the input folks. I went to a Sprint store and tried out both the Evo 3D and the SGSII and I think I like the 3D more. I have an HTC phone, so the Sense UI seems more natural than the TW UI (though I'm not digging the new carousel in Sense.) On top of that, the salesman said that they've been getting a lot of SGSII handsets coming back in for repair - not sure if that's indicative of the phone or the users.

At any rate, the 3D is a whole lot faster than my current Hero and seems to have fewer issues. Unless Samsung and Sprint get on the ball in the next week or so and get things fixed, it looks like I'll be going with the 3D.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The Evo 3D definitely has a problem with maintaining a stable data connection - that goes for 3G, 4G, and even Wifi. Voice connections are fine, but weak data signals completely choke on the 3D's radio.

This is anecdotal, but I make a three hour driving trip along the same major highway every couple weekends and my girl usually comes along for the ride. On my old Palm Pre, she'd tether up her iPod and play games the whole ride with no problems on a weak 3G signal. Ever since I got the 3D, data constantly drops to 1xRTT and ending a turn in Words with Friends takes upwards of 10 minutes sometimes.

What really sucks is I was super excited about having an Android phone so I could stream Google Music on those long trips. :(

It's totally different in major metro areas of course; I was in Fort Lauderdale most of the summer and had absolutely no problems at all.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

At any rate, the 3D is a whole lot faster than my current Hero and seems to have fewer issues. Unless Samsung and Sprint get on the ball in the next week or so and get things fixed, it looks like I'll be going with the 3D.

I keep hearing people who do not have a Galaxy S2 say things like this... I have one and have had zero problems. What exactly is wrong with the phone?

Also if you read the last few pages of this thread you'll see lots of problems (or maybe it is just a few vocal people?) who are having problems with their 3D.

I know Samsung sucks lol and all that, but are there any real known issues with the Galaxy S2?

I sincerely want to know so I can return mine if there are legit problems, but mine has been butter since day one.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bicarbon posted:

I keep hearing people who do not have a Galaxy S2 say things like this... I have one and have had zero problems. What exactly is wrong with the phone?

Also if you read the last few pages of this thread you'll see lots of problems (or maybe it is just a few vocal people?) who are having problems with their 3D.

I know Samsung sucks lol and all that, but are there any real known issues with the Galaxy S2?

I sincerely want to know so I can return mine if there are legit problems, but mine has been butter since day one.

People are experiencing a yellow tint, which is a hardware issue, as well as reported battery life issues (though almost every phone sees reports of this). That's just from a quick googling. If you're not experiencing these, you're probably fine.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Leathal posted:

The Evo 3D definitely has a problem with maintaining a stable data connection - that goes for 3G, 4G, and even Wifi. Voice connections are fine, but weak data signals completely choke on the 3D's radio.

This actually makes me wonder if this isn't maybe an issue that varies from device to device. I will be the first to admit that mine had issues keeping a weak 4g signal (though so did my evo 4g) but I live in an area with a pretty weak signal and I never have a problem keeping 3g. I can drive around town and steam Pandora without a hitch. In fact, I usually just keep 4g off since it's unreliable and between 3g and wifi I don't have any problems.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Bicarbon posted:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76962

The loss of signal issue is the biggy that I keep seeing people bring up. As I understand it, the phone will lose signal and the only way to get it back is to reboot the phone.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Sprint used to have a program where they'd pay your ETF (or part of your ETF) if you switched over. Do they still have this? My wife switched from Verizon last night but I'm still stuck with 6 months on an AT&T contract.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sprint used to have a program where they'd pay your ETF (or part of your ETF) if you switched over. Do they still have this? My wife switched from Verizon last night but I'm still stuck with 6 months on an AT&T contract.

If you're talking about the port-in credit, it just ended a few weeks ago.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Sprint will have their Telenav app available on the iPhone? I loved telenav on my Pre and much prefer it to the google maps turn by turn I've been using on android.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Does Sprint.com allow for a number port in the process, or do I have to call up after my account's active and ask them to do it or something like that? I'll be ordering on Monday online (for the sweet AAA discount) and I wanna make it smooth.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bicarbon posted:

I must be missing them, but I didn't really see any complaints.

Bicarbon posted:

I've got nothing against Samsung per se, it is just that their track record with Sprint leaves me a little uneasy. Add that to the fact that there are many people having radio issues. When the store salesman says "I see a lot of those come back..." you tend to be a little wary.

Believe me, I like the camera, the display, and the longer battery life on the SGSII a whole lot more - I just don't want to make a purchase I might regret.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Picky rear end in a top hat here. EVO 3D has been a solid upgrade for me and no real issues to complain about after owning one since launch day.

GPS doesn't work as well as EVO 4G and seems to draw more power as well. Overall battery life is better though.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Casao posted:

Does Sprint.com allow for a number port in the process, or do I have to call up after my account's active and ask them to do it or something like that? I'll be ordering on Monday online (for the sweet AAA discount) and I wanna make it smooth.

you can do it online when you order

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bicarbon posted:

I don't know if you're a Sprint customer or not, so I'll try to clarify.

The international Samsung Galaxy S II (model GT-9100) is by all accounts a fine phone. I can't say it's totally devoid of problems, but there's no show stoppers.

The variant of the SGSII that's available on Sprint is actually named the "Epic 4G Touch" (model SPH-D710), or "E4GT" for short. This is essentially the international SGSII with the hardware buttons replaced with capacitive ones, the GSM/UMTS radio replaced with the CDMA radio from the original Epic (released on Sprint last year), and with a WiMAX radio included.

I've posted a few times over the past few pages the issues folks are reporting with the E4GT. The three big ones (the radio stops working until reboot, suspend loops that annihilate battery life, and possibly poor GPS reception) are related to either the CDMA radio and/or the software stack. It's essentially a textbook example of how Samsung can make a pretty good device for the international market, then screw up a US-specific model. Which is something they've done many, many times in the past.

So if you have an international SGSII you're OK. If you have an E4GT, well, you may not have experienced any of the above problems yet. Some of the above problems are exacerbated by custom kernels, but they've been reported by folks running stock kernels as well. The other thing is that two of the problems appear to be related to the device suspending. If your phone is on the charger all the time, or you're running a lot of widgets, it suspends much less frequently if at all, which explains why some folks running stock never experience anything wrong. That said, there are people who "suddenly" develop the above problems on a stock phone, which can simply be due to uninstalling some software, changing usage habits, or moving to a different radio environment or something.

I don't believe any of the issues with the E4GT are hardware related, they're software bugs. The real question is when Samsung will get around to fixing them. As I mentioned yesterday, there are still bugs on the Epic that Samsung hasn't fixed in a year, some of which are pretty horrible for users. I really hope that's not the fate for E4GT folks.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know if you're a Sprint customer or not, so I'll try to clarify.

The international Samsung Galaxy S II (model GT-9100) is by all accounts a fine phone. I can't say it's totally devoid of problems, but there's no show stoppers.

The variant of the SGSII that's available on Sprint is actually named the "Epic 4G Touch" (model SPH-D710), or "E4GT" for short. This is essentially the international SGSII with the hardware buttons replaced with capacitive ones, the GSM/UMTS radio replaced with the CDMA radio from the original Epic (released on Sprint last year), and with a WiMAX radio included.

I've posted a few times over the past few pages the issues folks are reporting with the E4GT. The three big ones (the radio stops working until reboot, suspend loops that annihilate battery life, and possibly poor GPS reception) are related to either the CDMA radio and/or the software stack. It's essentially a textbook example of how Samsung can make a pretty good device for the international market, then screw up a US-specific model. Which is something they've done many, many times in the past.

So if you have an international SGSII you're OK. If you have an E4GT, well, you may not have experienced any of the above problems yet. Some of the above problems are exacerbated by custom kernels, but they've been reported by folks running stock kernels as well. The other thing is that two of the problems appear to be related to the device suspending. If your phone is on the charger all the time, or you're running a lot of widgets, it suspends much less frequently if at all, which explains why some folks running stock never experience anything wrong. That said, there are people who "suddenly" develop the above problems on a stock phone, which can simply be due to uninstalling some software, changing usage habits, or moving to a different radio environment or something.

I don't believe any of the issues with the E4GT are hardware related, they're software bugs. The real question is when Samsung will get around to fixing them. As I mentioned yesterday, there are still bugs on the Epic that Samsung hasn't fixed in a year, some of which are pretty horrible for users. I really hope that's not the fate for E4GT folks.

I have the E4GT, but haven't had any of those problems. I guess I'll have to read up on the radio issue. However in my experience the GPS is better (faster) than the 3D I had, and way better than my Evo Shift. Battery life has been way better too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Leathal posted:

It's a long shot but worth a check. Ensure you are actually getting 3g. Some HTC phones have come from the factory locked to 1x but they show the 3g logo anyway. I had this issue with my Evo Shift. There are apps in the app store that show what cell phone tower you're connected to and at what speeds. Or dial ##3282#, check EVDO and see what the preferred mode was. Full details here if that is your problem.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint will have their Telenav app available on the iPhone? I loved telenav on my Pre and much prefer it to the google maps turn by turn I've been using on android.

Haven't heard anything yet, but my bet is either no or it would be how it is on the nexus s: available on the marketplace.

steimer
Jun 6, 2005
Question about a plan upgrade: right now I'm on the cheap SERO plan with a TP2, and the plan expires in 5 months. At that time, I'd like to get an iPhone and change my plan to sero premium. What price will I pay for the phone?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

steimer posted:

Question about a plan upgrade: right now I'm on the cheap SERO plan with a TP2, and the plan expires in 5 months. At that time, I'd like to get an iPhone and change my plan to sero premium. What price will I pay for the phone?

$50 a month and the phone will cost whatever is advertised on the website.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Leathal posted:

3G seems ok to me, maybe a bit worse than the Evo4G. 4G seems the same, but there's a fix for dropping 4G connections and connecting back quickly. You need your MSL (call and just ask Sprint for it) root not required.

From XDA:
Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

3G seems ok to me, maybe a bit worse than the Evo4G. 4G seems the same, but there's a fix for dropping 4G connections and connecting back quickly. You need your MSL (call and just ask Sprint for it) root not required.

From XDA:
Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Fantastic, adding this to the OP, thanks man!

And I can't say much on this one beyond if anyone is going to try and get an iPhone 4S from a Sprint store on launch day, get there crazy early. iPhone 4 stock will likely be better.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Thanks for mentioning the AAA discount. I have AAA so I logged in and did a support chat. Gave them my AAA number and they said they would apply the discount to my account. It doubles up with the company discount I have already, and I had them confirm the activation fee on the iphone will be waived.

Pretty cool since I just agreed to the new 2 year agreement anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

Thanks for mentioning the AAA discount. I have AAA so I logged in and did a support chat. Gave them my AAA number and they said they would apply the discount to my account. It doubles up with the company discount I have already, and I had them confirm the activation fee on the iphone will be waived.

Pretty cool since I just agreed to the new 2 year agreement anyway.

Fyi whomever told you that AAA doubles with your customer discount is dead dead wrong. You get one or the other. What I would do is start with AAA to waive to activation fee, then file to switch to your company discount that is probably higher than 10%.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi whomever told you that AAA doubles with your customer discount is dead dead wrong. You get one or the other. What I would do is start with AAA to waive to activation fee, then file to switch to your company discount that is probably higher than 10%.

I'll have to see when my next bill comes up what they actually did. The post I was reading on pre-central said they got it in addition to the employer discount. They asked for my AAA number and said it was applied.

If anyone is a new signup they can use http://aaa.com/Sprint

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
Can you do the AAA discount when applying for the EPRP plans? The OP mentions that corporate discounts don't apply to EPRP, but I'm curious about the AAA discount. From some googling, there appears to be a credit union discount as well, but it doesn't appear to be any better than the AAA one unless I missed something.

If I could somehow do EPRP with AAA and/or credit union discounts stacking, I swear to God I'd switch to sprint right now.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Fantastic, adding this to the OP, thanks man!

And I can't say much on this one beyond if anyone is going to try and get an iPhone 4S from a Sprint store on launch day, get there crazy early. iPhone 4 stock will likely be better.

This will actually help 3G streaming.

2) Click on "Edit Mode"
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 12, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aineris posted:

Can you do the AAA discount when applying for the EPRP plans? The OP mentions that corporate discounts don't apply to EPRP, but I'm curious about the AAA discount. From some googling, there appears to be a credit union discount as well, but it doesn't appear to be any better than the AAA one unless I missed something.

If I could somehow do EPRP with AAA and/or credit union discounts stacking, I swear to God I'd switch to sprint right now.

No discounts for EPRP, AAA and Credit Union Members are still a corporate discount.

900ftjesus posted:

This will actually help 3G streaming.

2) Click on "Edit Mode"
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

Gonna play around with this, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
So, I just checked my usage over the past 12 months, and with a rooted HTC Hero the most data I've used in any month is about 50 megs. I'm basically ALWAYS near a WiFi signal.

I'm interested in getting an iPhone, but the trick is, I do like to occasionally tether with my rooted Hero. This happens maybe like five times a year: stuck in an airport and wanting to go online with my netbook, needing to use a keyboard to write an email in the car real quick, etc. Never anything truly substantial.

What sucks is, all of the carriers seem to assume that if you tether, you're gonna use terabytes of data. ATT and Verizon both make you purchase at least 4gig packages to tether, while Sprint requires that $30 add-on pack. I think it's bullshit; if I want to use my monthly 200mb of broadband data on my laptop instead of on my iPhone, that's no skin off your back, AT&T.

Anyway, what are the chances of me being able to get away with occasional tethering on an iPhone 4S on Sprint? Would I have to jailbreak it? Is that still possible?