Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Comic posted:

This is what I was looking for, thanks. Thinking back the heft is probably the most important part- I was equating thin handle to the knife being too light.
It's definitely lighter than my other knives, but doesn't feel too light at all. That PureKomachi knife I was talking about? Completely feels like a toy. I'm half expecting the blade to snap off in a carrot one of these days, which is why I save it for very light duty.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there a way to cook salmon that won't make my kitchen smell for days? My kitchen has very poor ventilation.
1) What kind of salmon are you using? If you're using cheap frozen salmon, then you're pretty much out of luck. (See my story below.) 2) If you're using fresh salmon of decent quality, it shouldn't smell. 3) How are you cooking it?

One day I came home, after a long commute in the car. I pulled into my driveway, opened the door, and was immediately assaulted by a horrible fishy smell. "Man," I thought, "Some poor rear end in a top hat has to come home to that smell." As I approached my apartments steps, got closer, and finally went through the front door, I realized with horror: "Oh no--I'm that poor rear end in a top hat!" My wife had put frozen salmon steaks from Costco in the broiler, and boy did they smell. She didn't do anything wrong as far as I could tell, it was just how they smelled.

pnumoman posted:

Try a bit of raw minced garlic at the end, with some seasme oil. Adds a nice kick, with nuttiness from the sesame oil.
Thought about that--that's pretty much my favorite preparation of spinach, minus the toasted sesame seeds--but for some reason the Asian flavor in an omelet didn't sit well with me. Was looking for something, I dunno, European-ish. Shallots, maybe?

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

The second week I had the knife, I used it to clean a fish, and I can still smell it in the wood handle. The wood has also warped slightly, so the blade is just slightly loose in the handle. Maybe there are other wood-handled knives that are better, but I'm not happy with my wood-handled Victorinox.

I understand that maybe you had a bad experience with your $50 knife, but don't give people bad advice. 95% of high-end knives have wooden handles. I've had my Misono 440 for 8 years and it doesn't smell, and has never warped.

yes fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 11, 2011

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Macaroni posted:

Thought about that--that's pretty much my favorite preparation of spinach, minus the toasted sesame seeds--but for some reason the Asian flavor in an omelet didn't sit well with me. Was looking for something, I dunno, European-ish. Shallots, maybe?

Ah. In that case, why not spinach salad style? Red onions and a touch of red wine vinegar at the end? Otherwise, how about creamed-ish spinach? Just finishing off the spinach with a touch of cream and maybe some parm?

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there a way to cook salmon that won't make my kitchen smell for days? My kitchen has very poor ventilation.

Open a door somewhere while you cook if possible. If you are using good salmon then cooking it shouldn't really make your kitchen smell. If you leave any to sit then it will stink though so wash your cookware and plates immediately and make sure you take the bin straight out if it has any waste or the packet in it.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

CureMinorWounds posted:

I have a really good french onion soup recipe that I would like to try, however I'm working very unfortunate hours this week. Would it be safe to put the sliced onions in the crock pot and let it go from probably 8am to 8pm on low? Or possibly from 1pm to 9pm? Or am I going to burn my house down?

My bf would be available to stir it occasionally if that would make any difference at all.

We use our crockpot all the time, and no, you won't burn your house down by leaving it on. It's designed to be left on for a few hours.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

pnumoman posted:

Ah. In that case, why not spinach salad style? Red onions and a touch of red wine vinegar at the end? Otherwise, how about creamed-ish spinach? Just finishing off the spinach with a touch of cream and maybe some parm?
Perfect, these are what I was thinking but not coming up with. Thanks!

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
I did a tomato chicken stew tonight and although the taste was quite nice, I was wondering if I could make the sauce a little bit thicker. The original recipe is as follows:

2 chicken breasts (cubed)
400g tinned crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2dl white wine or stock
onion, paprika, mushrooms, olives, thyme (diced, chopped, whatevs)

Would using fresh tomatoes (peeled) make it a little bit thicker? Maybe I should use a little bit of cornstarch?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You have a couple options to thicken a dish like that:

1) start with a roux
2) cornstarch slurry added in
3) reduce
4) knead equal parts butter and flour together and mix in

Edit: You could have also strained the tomatoes before adding them in to get rid of some of the extra liquid

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Don't use cornstarch. A roux is fine, but you have a couple classier options here:

1. Reduce a much larger amount of chicken stock into a thick demi and add it to your recipe. This will give you a nice body and a lot of flavor.

2. After your stew is done cooking, take about a third of the onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, and whatever else you have in there for veg and puree it in your blender with some of the liquid and add it back into the pot. It'll have a different consistency than the chicken demi but still a lot of flavor. Definitely the less costly option.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I know that it's been brought up here before (thread has been gassed, I think) but I'm getting a cast iron pan, and I wanted to verify that I'm going to do it right.

1. Scrub off the wax coating inside and out with hot soapy water and steel wool
2. Put a small amount of neutral oil/shortening and spread with paper towels, getting the excess.
3. Put face down into hot oven (450-500) for about half an hour.
4. Let pan cool in oven, remove from oven and wipe down again.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 four to five times.
6. Enjoy cast iron cooking

Also verifying to not let the pan soak in water, ever. No dishwasher, hand dry immediately.

Did I miss anything?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I have a pumpkin out in my back garden that's half green and half orange, is it okay to eat, and if so, will it being green change its taste?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want to roast a pig. Please tell me where my process is missing something/could be improved.

1. Obtain pig. Remove head and legs. Fully debone the carcass.
2. Take the meat mat that was the outside of the pig and season liberally with salt, pepper, lemon zest, fennel seed, whole onions, fennel bulbs, olive oil, whatever else looks good.
3. Take all the meat that didn't come off with the mat and lay it inside.
4. Distribute butt and ham meat as appropriate (maybe cut off bone, maybe leave whole?)
5. Season all that similarly.
6. Roll it all up into a pig log of relatively uniform thickness

Now this is where it gets tricky - I like the idea of a subterranean oven but I'm in a rental house, and I live in Arizona so the ground is like a goddamn rock and I'd spend a couple days digging out a hole by hand.
I don't have an oven capable of handling this done with an adult pig.

Do I have any good options for hands-off roasting?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

CzarChasm posted:

I know that it's been brought up here before (thread has been gassed, I think) but I'm getting a cast iron pan, and I wanted to verify that I'm going to do it right.

1. Scrub off the wax coating inside and out with hot soapy water and steel wool
2. Put a small amount of neutral oil/shortening and spread with paper towels, getting the excess.
3. Put face down into hot oven (450-500) for about half an hour.
4. Let pan cool in oven, remove from oven and wipe down again.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 four to five times.
6. Enjoy cast iron cooking

Also verifying to not let the pan soak in water, ever. No dishwasher, hand dry immediately.

Did I miss anything?

That's about right. For full sperglord points, you might want to check around in terms of what specific oil/shortening/lard to use. But honestly, cast iron is a beast. So long as you don't soak it or scrub it with soap, the seasoning's hardier than you'd think. And frankly, doing the whole oven rigmarole is completely optional. The true, jet black, black hole-like patina cast iron owners dream of only really comes with time and use. You can just wash off the wax, let it dry, and just use the sucker like a normal stainless steel frying pan. After some time has passed and you treat it right, it'll build up seasoning gradually, until one day you notice that drat, that surface is slick all the time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Whenever I'm cooking raw meat or fish, or meat that needs to be cooked before eating, like bacon, I get kind of obsessive with handwashing and I think I'm overdoing it a bit (though I know it can't hurt). After I put a steak in the pan, after I touch bacon, after I touch anything that's already in the pan, basically any time I touch something that's not fully cooked. And there's the whole "can I use the same tongs I used to put something raw in the pan to take that thing out of the pan when it's cooked?" What, exactly, is important in these situations?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 11, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

homerlaw posted:

I have a pumpkin out in my back garden that's half green and half orange, is it okay to eat, and if so, will it being green change its taste?

Why do you want to eat it now? Is there a frost coming which will kill your plant?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Mozi posted:

Whenever I'm cooking raw meat or fish, or meat that needs to be cooked before eating, like bacon, I get kind of obsessive with handwashing and I think I'm overdoing it a bit (though I know it can't hurt). After I put a steak in the pan, after I touch bacon, after I touch anything that's already in the pan, basically any time I touch something that's not fully cooked. And there's the whole "can I use the same tongs I used to put something raw in the pan to take that thing out of the pan when it's cooked?" What, exactly, is important in these situations?

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but keep in mind that you can eat steak and fish raw. It might be a good idea for you to make a little bucket of sanitizing water (capful of bleach and a gallon of water with a clean rag submerged) and keep it at your prep area so you can dunk your cooking utensils and wipe the counter off.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

I like turtles posted:

I want to roast a pig. Please tell me where my process is missing something/could be improved.

1. Obtain pig. Remove head and legs. Fully debone the carcass.
2. Take the meat mat that was the outside of the pig and season liberally with salt, pepper, lemon zest, fennel seed, whole onions, fennel bulbs, olive oil, whatever else looks good.
3. Take all the meat that didn't come off with the mat and lay it inside.
4. Distribute butt and ham meat as appropriate (maybe cut off bone, maybe leave whole?)
5. Season all that similarly.
6. Roll it all up into a pig log of relatively uniform thickness

Now this is where it gets tricky - I like the idea of a subterranean oven but I'm in a rental house, and I live in Arizona so the ground is like a goddamn rock and I'd spend a couple days digging out a hole by hand.
I don't have an oven capable of handling this done with an adult pig.

Do I have any good options for hands-off roasting?

1.Know a guy with a huge trailer-pulled barbecue pit.
2.Cut the pig up and roast it in sensible sections in your oven.
3.Build a wooden box pig roaster, like a "La Caja China" brand roaster.
4.Skip the boning and see if it's legal, both with your municipality and landlord, to build an above ground firepit and rotisserie with cinderblocks and some big sticks. If you have a lot of cinderblocks, make a firepit, but put a huge loving grate on top and maybe butterfly the hog.

I wouldn't recommend 3 and 4 to a newbie. Hell, I wouldn't trust the first suggestion unless your bbq pit owning friend has some experience in this sort of thing.

What in the world made you think that this was a great project to cook up when you've never done it before, presumably don't know anyone who has, and don't have the equipment for it?

Rolling it into a log will play hell on your cooking times and meat consistency throughout, especially with an adult pig sized hunk. Your log will be fully cooked on the outside and raw on the inside. Log idea is bad.

Think this through. That's a lot of pork, a lot of money for the pork, and more money to build things.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 12, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

It was mostly something I was thinking about after reading about big porchetta preperations, and thought it could be an interesting project. Very much concept stage, though, as you say I don't know anyone with experience in this.
Sounds like the log idea isn't a good one, though, so I'll keep thinking about alternate plans.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

I like turtles posted:

It was mostly something I was thinking about after reading about big porchetta preperations, and thought it could be an interesting project. Very much concept stage, though, as you say I don't know anyone with experience in this.
Sounds like the log idea isn't a good one, though, so I'll keep thinking about alternate plans.

I've cooked whole hog and half hogs before, both in a massive BBQ grill and in a pit in the ground. It can be fun for a big party if you've got 18 hours to cook and various people to pull shifts keeping the fire at the right temperature and scaring off stray dogs and raccoons and other critters that might be trying to steal your hard earned pork. The classic scenario is that the dude on the night shift gets drunk and passes out, the fire goes out, and wakes up to a group of coyotes enjoying a pig buffet.

If you somehow boned a whole pig and wrapped it up, you're going to have around 125 lbs. of fat, tender meat, and grease that's more likely to completely fall apart if you try to move it or turn it. On a whole or half hog, you really need the skin and bones keeping everything together, and even then you have to be careful. You know it's getting done when you can easily pull out ribs.

I'm not really fond of the preparation, because while overall everything tastes good, none of it tastes as great as it could. The pork belly didn't get cured and smoked properly, instead you just lose a lot of that fat. The ham is mostly wasted as just a big chunk of pork, you don't get to make great guanciale from the cheeks, no necks or hocks for soups, etc.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Okay, so I got 10lbs of carrots to eat all on my own and I'm trying to think of interesting ways of preparing them.

So far I got:

Carrot soup
Carrot fritters
Carrot cake
Steamed/sauteed/stir fried
Raw

Did I miss anything? Recipe suggestions are also welcome.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Drimble Wedge posted:

We use our crockpot all the time, and no, you won't burn your house down by leaving it on. It's designed to be left on for a few hours.

I knew that, and have used mine many times as such, I mean will my onions be poisonous rear end when they come out or would leaving it on low let them carmelize to a wonderful level by the end of an 8 hour work day?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys do you know of a good beef stroganoff sauce recipe? All the stuff I see wants cream of this or that and I wont make that mistake again.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Sear off the beef and set aside. Add in shallots and mushrooms and cook to tender. Deglaze with cognac, reduce au sec, then add beef stock. Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the beef back in and cook it to medium. Add a large amount of sour cream and some dijon mustard. I like fresh dill at the end.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

CureMinorWounds posted:

I knew that, and have used mine many times as such, I mean will my onions be poisonous rear end when they come out or would leaving it on low let them carmelize to a wonderful level by the end of an 8 hour work day?

They will be gorgeous. :)

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Darkblade posted:

Hey guys do you know of a good beef stroganoff sauce recipe? All the stuff I see wants cream of this or that and I wont make that mistake again.

10 pieces of cubed beef
1/2-3/4 pkg sliced mushrooms (basically however much you want, same with the beef)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup campbells gardennay harvest mushroom (I used this to thin out the soup, use less if it's too thin afterwards for you)
1 pkg lipton onion roasted garlic
salt/pepper/whatever

Obviously the noodles and sour scream will be added at the end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

CureMinorWounds posted:

I caramelize onion all the time in my slow cooker. I just slice them until the bowl is full of onion rings, drop a stick of butter on top, turn to low and leave for 16+ hours. If I'm around for it I'll start with a couple hours on high with lid off and then rest on low.

Edit: Might as well use this post. I'm currently working on my hardest culinary project so far: Zero snobbishness.

From interacting with friends I've realized that my initial response of "Ugh, don't use that!" and "Oh man, don't tell me you're doing it like that" are simply not helpful. They do not lead to people more interested in cooking. In fact they tend to lead to people less interested in cooking because it's full of people that look down on everything you do.

So I'm letting go of that. It's difficult, but it needs to be done. "Making a dish with cream of whatever canned soup, pre-ground extra mild spice mix and pre-cooked chicken strips from the supermarket? That's cool man, hope it works out for you. If you want to make the dish even better sometime, let me know."

Any cooking is better than no cooking.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 12, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

The cast iron thread is a lot of fun as it flip flops between obsessive monk-like rituals and rites that must be performed in order for your pan to function and the reality that it's a heavy chunk of metal. You are going to be hard pressed to do *anything* wrong to it that can't be fixed with a bit of elbow grease and steel wool.

It's a no-poo poo durable pan and you should abuse it like it's a dumb hunk of metal. It's more about testing your forearm strength than worrying about how you wash it.

Wash it in hot soapy water if you want, it doesn't give a gently caress.

Pour in a big glug of bourbon and light it on fire to clean the insides. It gives no gently caress at all.

Use an acid/base reaction to cleanse the surface down to the molecular level. The iron atoms will come up a bit leaving mole after mole of iron atoms behind to keep you cooking. Fucks given as a function of F(x) = 0.

It's nice to burn off some fat in the pan once in the stove but it's really smoky and irritating and honestly it's not necessary at all. The pan will develop a coating the more you use it and cook on it. It's in love with fatty foods because the pan itself is decidedly non-stick. If anything even *hints* at sticking you better throw a pat of butter at it. gently caress it, throw half a stick of butter on there just to be safe. Maybe half an onion, sliced. You were making cornbread? TOO BAD, NOW IT'S BUTTER AND ONIONS TIME! RAAARRGGGH BETTER PUT A STEAK AND SOME BACON IN THERE TOO! THAT'S WHAT WE IN THE WEST CALL SEASONING BOY!

It's cast iron - just cook on it.

Zedlic posted:

I caramelize onion all the time in my slow cooker. I just slice them until the bowl is full of onion rings, drop a stick of butter on top, turn to low and leave for 16+ hours. If I'm around for it I'll start with a couple hours on high with lid off and then rest on low.
:aaa: Holy crap. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I'm a lazy lazy boy who doesn't want to commit to the full joys of making french onion soup. If I can slither my way through the caramelizing stage I will be happy as hell.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 12, 2011

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

CuddleChunks posted:

:aaa: Holy crap. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I'm a lazy lazy boy who doesn't want to commit to the full joys of making french onion soup. If I can slither my way through the caramelizing stage I will be happy as hell.

The best part is that it's like a mutual exchange between the butter and onion. The butter stops the onion from burning and gives it a richer flavor, and once the onion is sufficiently caramelized you can strain the liquid into a container, cool it down and later pick up a solidified chunk of wonderful onion-flavored butter.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zedlic posted:

The best part is that it's like a mutual exchange between the butter and onion. The butter stops the onion from burning and gives it a richer flavor, and once the onion is sufficiently caramelized you can strain the liquid into a container, cool it down and later pick up a solidified chunk of wonderful onion-flavored butter.

There is nothing about that last sentence I didn't like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for a good corn chowder. I've read 15 recipes and they're all different, so something someone here has made instead of random poo poo on google would be great.

The common threads appear to be bacon, butter, cream or milk, chicken stock, and corn. After that it goes crazy. Help me out!

Difficulty, I live in Korea so some things may not be available. I do have bacon, butter, whipping cream, chicken stock, and corn already. Good cheese is extremely expensive so I don't want a recipe requiring it, if possible. The milk here all has sugar added so I'd rather avoid recipes that are super heavy on milk, unless that's required. I'm new to chowder, I know there's dairy going on but unclear if it's cream or milk or both.

If anyone knows that corn/crab chowder thing that's all over New Orleans, that'd work. I love that poo poo.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I like turtles posted:

Here we buy the hogs butterflied. The easiest way for you would be to borrow or rent a pig cooker. You might try buying a very young hog and roasting it in the oven.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

Okay, so I got 10lbs of carrots to eat all on my own and I'm trying to think of interesting ways of preparing them.

So far I got:

Carrot soup
Carrot fritters
Carrot cake
Steamed/sauteed/stir fried
Raw

Did I miss anything? Recipe suggestions are also welcome.

You can actually make a really interesting carrot 'jam' if you want. Just cook the carrots until soft, then puree them. Add tons of sugar (the recipe I used recommended 1 cup of sugar for every 1/2 pound of carrots, but I think I used less, I can't remember) and simmer it on the stove until it's jammy.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
If I was to use my slow cooker to make a big batch of caramelized onions, how long could I make them last? I would love to be able to just take some out to put on a burger or put into a dip or whatever, but they strike me as fairly perishable. Is there anything that could be done to store them properly for occasional use, even over a relatively short term? Freezing is the only thing I can think of. How would the texture be after thawing something like that?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

The Macaroni posted:

1) What kind of salmon are you using? If you're using cheap frozen salmon, then you're pretty much out of luck. (See my story below.) 2) If you're using fresh salmon of decent quality, it shouldn't smell. 3) How are you cooking it?

Oh yeah, it's the cheap frozen Costco salmon. :downs: Sometimes the smell just lingers for a few hours, sometimes it'll be stuck in my kitchen for days.

So far I've tried cooking it in the oven and grilling it. Both times lead to the death stink cloud. I was hoping if there was any way to lesson the blow.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So me and my girlfriend were eating out at Zea the other night and we had this appetizer of pulled pork tacos with what was described as "sweet heat kimchee slaw".

I want to recreate this slaw. Off the top of my head, I'd say it was cabbage, cucumbers, green onions, soy sauce, diced tomatoes, ginger, and dry ramen noodles? I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot here, but anyway, I'm hoping to find a recipe for something somewhat similar to this because it was amazing.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds like some sort of ~fusion~ thing.

I'd start with a kimchi recipe and go from there. I really like the one from here.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My local Vietnamese restaurant (Vietnam Grille in Charlotte) is notorious for using the absolute freshest ingredients and using traditional methods for their recipes to much acclaim. I am addicted to their pho, but when I putting my day's menu into the myfitnesspal app I use, all the examples of pho listed have huge huge huge amounts of sodium. That's understandable if it's a commercially prepared pho, but I know this place makes its broth just like one would make a stock (much like a can of chicken broth in the supermarket vs. homemade stock). Does traditionally-made pho broth contain a lot of sodium?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My local Vietnamese restaurant (Vietnam Grille in Charlotte) is notorious for using the absolute freshest ingredients and using traditional methods for their recipes to much acclaim. I am addicted to their pho, but when I putting my day's menu into the myfitnesspal app I use, all the examples of pho listed have huge huge huge amounts of sodium. That's understandable if it's a commercially prepared pho, but I know this place makes its broth just like one would make a stock (much like a can of chicken broth in the supermarket vs. homemade stock). Does traditionally-made pho broth contain a lot of sodium?

Well generally when making homemade stock you don't add salt because you are going to season the dish you use it in. And sadly, a lot of the best tasting food you eat, even at restaurants, uses a lot of salt.

I've never even seen commercially prepared pho, though I don't doubt it exists. If I had to guess, I would say my regular place uses a lot of salt. But if it is used right, the dish doesn't taste salty, just flavorful.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

The Midniter posted:

Much of the sodium will come from fish sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

yes posted:

Sear off the beef and set aside. Add in shallots and mushrooms and cook to tender. Deglaze with cognac, reduce au sec, then add beef stock. Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the beef back in and cook it to medium. Add a large amount of sour cream and some dijon mustard. I like fresh dill at the end.

How much beef stock? After 15 minutes should it be like gravy or a little watery?