Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Punch fear in the face and learn to use double pointed needles. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
No thanks. I have actually used them before and didn't like it at all.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

If you know you don't like double pointed needles, I'd probably suggest two circulars, because it will be easier to avoid gaps if the cable isn't flexible. I hate using one circular because of the run I get where the strain is at the cable side.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Also, is Raverly messed up for anyone else?

Every time I click "free" when I search I just get a "sorry, there's no patterns" message.

e: However searching for the word free seems to work. :psyduck:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 8, 2011

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Weird, it's doing that for me, too. But it's already been brought up on For The Love Of Ravelry, so it'll probably be fixed soon.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Hmm, okay. I heard the needles I'm ordering (from 8seasons.net) have a softer, more flexible cable than others, but I don't want to take the chance because that is what I hated about DPNs. Two circulars it is. Thanks for the advice.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Heh, I think i'm your opposite! I hate circulars because they're too floppy :flaccid: .
I recommend the knitpicks crazy awesome circulars set, not that I use them for circular work but rather as an alternative to straight needles for larger stuff. Let us know how you go with the ones you're ordered.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Whatup bitches? Check out my new stash additions:

20 balls of shiny new Noro silk garden lite, fresh from a crazy yarn scrum at the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandria Palace. Yeah, I don't know how to take a gangsta shot with my webcam and I don't want to show my face cos I've been crying a lot (my bicycle got stolen. You know that horrible rainbow Peaches n Creme yarn? I covered the frame in it so people wouldn't steal it. Someone stole it)

Please note I have no idea what to do with 20 balls of Noro in 2 shades but it doesn't matter cos it's MINE

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I feel really weird posting in here and not the hookers thread, like I am an impostor. But...here I am. I have just learned how to cast on, knit, purl and change colors/yarns. Soon, I shall learn how to bind off. This is scary, I've been crocheting practically my entire life and knitting is so different. But I want to learn how to knit socks and sweaters for my daughter, so, here I am...

Anyway, what are some really basic but cool looking patterns I can look at?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fire In The Disco posted:

I feel really weird posting in here and not the hookers thread, like I am an impostor. But...here I am. I have just learned how to cast on, knit, purl and change colors/yarns. Soon, I shall learn how to bind off. This is scary, I've been crocheting practically my entire life and knitting is so different. But I want to learn how to knit socks and sweaters for my daughter, so, here I am...

Anyway, what are some really basic but cool looking patterns I can look at?

I highly suggest this garter stitch bag. It's just garter stitch, a little sewing, and it makes an adorable bag!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Oh, that is really cool! If I make it big enough, I can add it to my reusable grocery bag stash! Thanks. :3:

edit: I just watched a video on how to knit I-cord; is there any reason that I couldn't do it on circular needles instead of DPNs? I don't own any DPNs yet.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 9, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

Oh, that is really cool! If I make it big enough, I can add it to my reusable grocery bag stash! Thanks. :3:

edit: I just watched a video on how to knit I-cord; is there any reason that I couldn't do it on circular needles instead of DPNs? I don't own any DPNs yet.

There's no reason you couldn't do it on circs, I've done it. It can be annoying sliding it all the way over if it's a really long circular though, sometimes I find it faster to just slip the stitches back to the other needle and then knit them.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

There isn't, and I've done it before myself when I was traveling.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

There's no reason you couldn't do it on circs, I've done it. It can be annoying sliding it all the way over if it's a really long circular though, sometimes I find it faster to just slip the stitches back to the other needle and then knit them.

That would totally be faster. Thanks!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Guhhh...why did I have to ask the yarn store employee if I could see an example of the Madelinetosh colorway Tart? They were out of stock of it in the Lace and I could have got a one of Scarlet instead, but she showed me a skein of it in a heavier weight and now it's my undying obsession to have it in lace. Apparently it takes 3 months to get in, too!

dixnarbles
Feb 21, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yes. You should have gotten that book. Shame on you.

Hooooly poo poo.

I'd kill for the Moulin Rouge sweater.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Imagining weaving in all those ends is giving me a headache.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

I finished my very first knitting project (I just learned how to knit a week ago). I made this Dalek dishcloth. Except I used the same kitchen cotton yarn I use for all of my dishcloths, so it doesn't look too hot. I might knit another one with acrylic just so I can see the pattern better, and make my husband display it at work or something. :3:

I'm pretty happy to have completed something, even if it doesn't look fabulous. Next thing I am working on is cute kimono style sweater for my daughter. I'm making it out of this super soft but super annoying yarn that is barely spun at all. It's literally one step away from being just plain old wool roving. I have to twist it with every stitch. But it's so comfy, it will be worth it!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Hey, I could tell what it was before I scrolled down and I'm not even a Doctor Who fan. So I'd count that as success in MY book.

dixnarbles
Feb 21, 2010
PIC DUMP!

Top Down Raglan from the $5 in Paris pattern
I'm obviously pretty stoked as this is my 2nd sweater ever (and the first one I'd ever actually wear).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6165/6195993713_118db6c62a.jpg
Actual first sweater...

Cthulhu Nook Cozy for the husband's birthday.

Double-knit Wonder Woman scarf

Fishy hat

dixnarbles fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 16, 2011

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I just ordered this for myself but I've never knit anything that wasn't a solid color. Part of me wants to tackle it immediately after it arrives, and part of me says I should try easier projects first. (I honestly have no idea how hard this will be, I've got the basics down though so what could go wrong? :v:)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

rear end Crackers! posted:

I just ordered this for myself but I've never knit anything that wasn't a solid color. Part of me wants to tackle it immediately after it arrives, and part of me says I should try easier projects first. (I honestly have no idea how hard this will be, I've got the basics down though so what could go wrong? :v:)

That is super pretty, but they keep calling it fair isle and it's making me all twitchy. If you have the basics of intarsia down, just go for it and take your time!

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I've never done intarsia actually, which is why this will be such an interesting project! I think I might try something easier first, jut so I don't get too frustrated and never finish the bag. It really is gorgeous and I want it to come out nice. :ohdear:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
intarsia is super easy in the way that if you boil it down, lace is just yarn-overs and K2tog's. You're just knitting, and every once in a while you switch colors. Just remember to twist the two yarns when you switch to another color, and watch your tension. Keep an eye on your chart, and highlight as you go, so you don't have to do the "gently caress me, I had to switch fifteen stitches ago" route. ALWAYS BLOCK. It will look like lumpy wrinkled crap before you block it out.

dixnarbles
Feb 21, 2010
^ So how about if knitting acrylic? Would intarsia block out well? (That's why I haven't tried, I've mostly used good ol' Caron Simply soft)

That project looks like you might use stranded knitting. It looks super pretty.

dixnarbles fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 12, 2011

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure I would've been incredibly frustrated that it wasn't turning out very well. I picked up lace pretty easily so I imagine intarsia won't be very difficult either. Is it worth it to break down all the yarn balls into smaller sections or could I just knit straight from the balls? I know it would make things a little messy, but for some reason I suck at weaving in ends and they always come out at some point. If I can, I'd like to minimize the amount of weaving in I'll be doing (even though I know it will still be a lot as I work through different colors in the pattern).

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I've never done colorwork in acrylic, so I don't know how that would work out, but I'm sure it's been done! I'd try to 'block' it out a bit just to even the stitches though.

When I've done intarsia before, I cut pieces off the ball for each color I was using at the time, about 2-3 feet long, and just let them hang out the back. Any time I tried bobbins or using the yarn off the balls or whatever I ended up with a tangled rear end mess, as you're constantly twisting different yarns together. With the long strands, I could just "comb" my fingers through to untangle every once in a while.

As I got to the ends, I'd "knit" them into the back like twisted floats with the new piece of yarn. Each time I'd finish using a color, I'd knit the ends in. (if you don't understand what I mean, I'd take the last few inches of a piece of yarn and between each stitch for five or six stitches I'd twist the end with the working yarn at the back of the piece, effectively weaving it in for me) I didn't have to weave in anything once it was done. It was glorious.

(my last bit of intarsia work, for reference http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Amykinz/aarons-arrrgyle-hat)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
That sounds amazing, I think I'll just do that. What did you end up doing for the beginning of a strand? Same thing?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

rear end Crackers! posted:

That sounds amazing, I think I'll just do that. What did you end up doing for the beginning of a strand? Same thing?

Exactly. Once I got about 4-5 inches left on a strand, (or five stitches from where a new color would start), I'd take the new strand and start weaving that in so it would be ready when I needed it. If this was the end of the other piece, I'd start weaving it in on the first stitch of actually using the new strand as the 'knitting' yarn. If the new color section is only a stitch or two wide, I'd just float the weaving-in strand up to the next row on the way back so it could get woven in for more than a couple stitches.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I just realized Rhinebeck is this weekend. Anyone going? I'm like 30 minutes from the fairgrounds and I'm not sure if I will. Maybe just sunday.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I wish I'd been old enough to appreciate that when I lived across the river from Rhinebeck. :(

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Amykinz posted:

I've never done colorwork in acrylic, so I don't know how that would work out, but I'm sure it's been done! I'd try to 'block' it out a bit just to even the stitches though.

When I've done intarsia before, I cut pieces off the ball for each color I was using at the time, about 2-3 feet long, and just let them hang out the back. Any time I tried bobbins or using the yarn off the balls or whatever I ended up with a tangled rear end mess, as you're constantly twisting different yarns together. With the long strands, I could just "comb" my fingers through to untangle every once in a while.

My friend is making a very intarsia-heavy sweater right now, and one thing she did was take an old soda carton (one of those long thin ones) and cut holes in it. Then she slipped the bobbins inside so the threads couldn't get that tangled. It seems to have worked pretty well.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
It's October and I have a kid, so that means it's time to make a Halloween costume!
Liam the Lamb:

Made using this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/childs-lamb-costume but with a hood instead of a hat.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 14, 2011

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That is ridiculously cute. Anyone think I can convince my boyfriend to wear that if I make it super size?

(I don't, he's doing something Tron related with EL wires. Oh well. )

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I wrote a pattern for a hat as I made it, which I need to modify a touch more, but I know exactly how so it's not a problem.

This hat is insanely comfortable. The yarn is Sirdar Tweedie Chunky (45% Acrylic 40% Wool 15% Alpaca), which is discontinued. I got 10 balls for £15, so this hat cost me £1.50 to make. It didn't even use a whole ball of the stuff (but might if it didn't have the stripes).

I think I'm going to have to make many more as I promised to give this one away but it's glued to my head right now with hat love.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I don't know if it's because I'm fighting one hell of a cold (NYCC! :argh:) but I cannot make sense of what seems to be a simple pattern. It contains this line:

Next Row: Work 8 sts in Rib (K1, P1) at beginning and end of every row. NB: At the same time, decrease 2 sts evenly across row.

I don't know what NB means or what they mean by the decrease. Do I just randomly toss in two decreases every row?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
NB just means note well, so keep the following sentence in mind. Where they want you to stick the decreases, I have no idea, though.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

neongrey posted:

NB just means note well, so keep the following sentence in mind. Where they want you to stick the decreases, I have no idea, though.

Yeah, that is literally all the pattern says about the decreases. I guess I'll stick them on the back and hope for the best.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That seems straight-up poorly written to me. Do you have a picture of the finished part, or even know what shape it's supposed to be? Is it on Ravelry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It just means stick the decreases where convenient. I've had a couple patterns like that and it never tripped me up. If you're worried about evenness, put them in the same relative spot, like one stitch away from the ribbing on either end.