Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

Bob Morales posted:

Great feedback

Thanks for the detailed reply mate :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$519 Macbook Pros at the Lenovo outlet. Sold out, though.
(Apple MacBook Pro 15" MB470LL/A C2D 2.4GHz, 3GB, 250GB, NO OS)

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3406168

Wonder if any more will be added.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

Did you check for firmware updates? I think someone with a new Mac mini here had a similar problem and the recent round of firmware updates fixed it for him.

All of the recent thunderbolt Macs have had firmware updates to their Thunderbolt controller - but the issue in the video (and the one I had with my Mini) was actually resolved by a firmware update to the Cinema Display itself.

edit: Which, if anyone is reading this and says "Hey, my ACD flickers too!" is this one right here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4045?viewlocale=en_US

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 11, 2011

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I'm looking to add a camera for video calls. Is the old iSight still the way to go, or is there something cheaper that is as good or better?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheState posted:

I'm looking to add a camera for video calls. Is the old iSight still the way to go, or is there something cheaper that is as good or better?
I can't recommend anything specific, but I'd start with researching models on this page at Skype's website. I got my hands on an old iSight a few months ago and I wasn't impressed. It only works with the bundled FW400 cable, so I had to order a FW400->800 adapter to plug it into any modern Macs. Once I got it working, I was pretty disappointed with the image quality. It was worse than the built-in iSights on my iMac and MacBook Pro, and I can't even imagine how terrible it looks compared to the newer iSight HD camera. Yeah it's a durable design and the audio quality is surprisingly good, but webcam technology has finally matured. Buy something new.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

japtor posted:

Did you check for firmware updates? I think someone with a new Mac mini here had a similar problem and the recent round of firmware updates fixed it for him.

Yeah, all the firmware updates were installed. It actually started getting worse and worse today, to the point where the monitor was shutting off completely rather than just blinking off/on. I took it in to the store and the Genius said they couldn't do anything about it, so I just returned my MacBook Air altogether. I'm getting pretty fed up with Apple's poo poo lately. On that note...

Choadmaster posted:

TL/DR: Apple has been dragging their feet for months, unable or unwilling to fix this MacBook Pro, and I want to know who/where the hell is best to escalate this to.

So, I tried the "escalate it via AppleCare" method.

I called AppleCare and asked to speak to Customer Relations. They wouldn't just forward me to CR, they wanted me to talk to a tech first. So I talk to the tech for 10 minutes, who after going through all the records and listening to me talk about the problems, tells me there's nothing he can do other than schedule another repair, and that he'll connect me with his supervisor instead.

... Ten minutes on hold later, I get his "supervisor" and we go through the same poo poo. He looks at all the records, and I explain to him the problems we've been having. After about ten minutes, the conversation ends like this:

Me: We've brought this thing in multiple times, WHILE IT IS EXHIBITING THE PROBLEMS. Your repair techs have seen it with their own eyes, so you know I'm not making this up. You've been unable to fix it, so we want a replacement.
AppleCare: We CANNOT replace your computer until there have been at least three major hardware problems.
Me: We've brought it in more than three times, the issue is YOU NEVER FIND THE PROBLEM... We'll NEVER get to "three major hardware problems" if you never find the problem to begin with.
AppleCare: Sir, according to our records, other than the time your RAM was replaced, every diagnostic we've done has indicated a "software issue."
Me: Every time you've handed it back to us, the tech tells us you didn't find the problem. That gets recorded as a "software issue"?
AppleCare: Well, if they found nothing wrong with the hardware, it was a "software issue." What I suggest we do is schedule you a repair appointment with a third-party authorized repair center so you can get a second opinion.
Me: And what happens if they can't find the cause of the problems? Will we get a replacement then?
AppleCare: I'm sorry, that would indicate a "software issue," and would not qualify you for replacement of the computer.
Me: I need to talk to Customer Relations NOW.

... That finally did it, and they connected me with a very friendly lady who was "on your side in all of this!" Of course, she ends up repeating the exact same poo poo at me. It's a "software issue" so they can't give us a replacement computer. I point out to her that this SOFTWARE ISSUE has survived multiple reinstalls of the OS by their repair techs, and manifests itself during a fresh install (no third-party software or use of migration assistant) so whether or not it really is the software IT'S APPLE'S ISSUE and she just apologizes and says there's nothing they can do other than try to take it in for repair again.

I'm going to head to the legal questions thread in A/T and see if they have any advice on California's "Lemon Law" before I call her back and bring that up...

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I can't recommend anything specific, but I'd start with researching models on this page at Skype's website. I got my hands on an old iSight a few months ago and I wasn't impressed. It only works with the bundled FW400 cable, so I had to order a FW400->800 adapter to plug it into any modern Macs. Once I got it working, I was pretty disappointed with the image quality. It was worse than the built-in iSights on my iMac and MacBook Pro, and I can't even imagine how terrible it looks compared to the newer iSight HD camera. Yeah it's a durable design and the audio quality is surprisingly good, but webcam technology has finally matured. Buy something new.
Cool, thanks. I'm glad I was outbid on eBay, then.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

TheState posted:

I haven't found a USB camera that hasn't worked as a generic 640x480 source with no exposure control, but if you want to use the advanced features make sure there's official OS X support for them before you buy. I used to use a bunch of grab-bag cameras with ManyCam.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, dude, have you emailed Tim Cook?

If apple's customer service turns lovely in the next few years I will be very sad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

If apple's customer service turns lovely in the next few years I will be very sad.

I'm not blaming Choadmaster's friend in any way, but it almost seems like as a customer they are being too passive when they take stuff in. I used to see it when I worked at Best Buy.

You'll get handed your machine back (by a lazy or hurried tech) and you just kind of sigh and think "I'll live with it." But then you get home and the problem is still there and you get even more mad. But when you take it back you let yourself just get pushed over again and then it all builds up and you're writing letters to corporate to complain.

What ends up happening is since the hardware itself was only repaired or replaced one time, by the time it comes back to the techs and there's actually a problem (or they have it long enough for it to happen), it's out of warranty and nobody wins.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, bring it back in. When it's picked up, do not leave without turning it on, checking it over, and making sure that it 100% works. Take video of it. If the laptop is really not working and the store is really unwilling to fix/replace it, put the video up on youtube.

EDIT: As was said above, bring it to an Apple certified repair service. Apple Stores are really not your best option for repair/troubleshooting. I wish it weren't true.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 12, 2011

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm getting some distortion and popping in the sound on Windows XP on my Core 2 Duo iMac that has been around since I first installed, but I've never bothered to fix it. Are there any alternative drivers I can use to try out other than the basic boot camp ones?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Choadmaster:

Sonic Dude posted:

Say things like "I'm very concerned that the product has let me down" and other disappointed-yet-almost-complimentary things and ask for a replacement. They'll probably say "one more repair attempt" - don't push the law thing yet. Let them mail it in to Simpro or wherever, and call back using the same case number they give you if/when that doesn't fix it.
It sounds like you called up and were angry/aggressive, and got stonewalled. Try again but realize you have to make the person on the other end want to give you an exception rather than do the bare minimum and say "nope, it's repair time."

Like I said, there's always one last repair attempt. That's how it works. Get them to agree to replace it if that last repair doesn't work, send it in, and go from there. Either the repair will work (problem solved) or it won't (and it's CRU time).

Remember, you don't want a replacement just for the sake of having a replacement, you want it because you need a working computer and feel like that's the best option. Convey that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Choadmaster posted:

stuff

Either Apple techs are extremely stupid, or their customer service is now on par with Dell/HP/whatever. How they can blame something on software after the machine has been reloaded and still exhibits the problem is beyond me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm getting noticeable slow down on my 2011 13" MBP when it's on for more than a week. I have 8 gigs of ram with usualy about 3 free it just chugs for some reason(chrome takes forever to load pages, xcode beachballs compiling simple programs, itunes has a 3 second delay in responding to clicks). Stock everything else except for the ram. It's back to it's zippy self after a restart but it's pretty annoying and I don't feel it should be happening at all. Any ideas?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Chiming in on Choadmaster's issue. I'm a former AppleCare iPhone Tier 2 advisor and unfortunately situations like this happen. You need to work with Apple to get them to replicate the issue. They're only going to replace your computer if they actually complete a repair for the same issue 3 times. If it comes back with no issue found it's not going to count.

Yes, you're 100% convinced there's a hardware issue, but you're not going to convince anyone by insisting that. These people deal with people all day every day that are convinced their iPhone's screen magically shattered by itself or other such stuff. You might be the one person they talk to in a day that's legit, but they simply can't take your word for it.

Question: the times that the computer was taken to the Genius Bar and was held for a few days, do you know if it was actually sent for repair, or was it just held in the store? If you set up a repair over the phone you can know for sure that it will be sent to a repair depot.

Two tips: Tier 2 agents (the "supervisor" you spoke to) can be valuable tool. They can give you their email and phone number and can "own" your issue, so you're not stuck having to explain the whole situation over and over again. I would reccomend calling AppleCare and have a Tier 2 rep set up a repair for you. Make sure he knows your whole situation, but be nice. Make him want to help you out. Make sure you get his contact information and follow up with him on the results of the repair, good or bad.

Second, if you want to get any mileage with Customer Relations don't talk about your technical issue. CR agents are not trained in technical support. Instead stress how long this issue has persisted and how unsatisfactory the experience has been. If you own multiple Apple products stress how loyal of a customer you are and you just want to have a working product. You're going to get much better results that way.

Good luck!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

I'm getting noticeable slow down on my 2011 13" MBP when it's on for more than a week. I have 8 gigs of ram with usualy about 3 free it just chugs for some reason(chrome takes forever to load pages, xcode beachballs compiling simple programs, itunes has a 3 second delay in responding to clicks). Stock everything else except for the ram. It's back to it's zippy self after a restart but it's pretty annoying and I don't feel it should be happening at all. Any ideas?

Sounds like a classic memory leak of some sort...or unusually high amounts of disk activity. There are no SMART errors logged for your HDD, are there? What's disk activity look like in Activity Monitor during these slowdowns?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I have something similar happen but it's mostly Firefox/Chrome, so I just restart those apps. I'm on 28 days of uptime right now.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
I'm looking to add an SSD and MCE OptiBay to my 2011 MacBook Pro quad i7. Just looking for recommendations on SSD brand, size and configuration that will suit my needs.

I'm a web developer so I have a lot of poo poo going on with VMs (usually running at least Ubuntu Server for development, then a Windows VM for browser testing), Photoshop, editors and a poo poo ton of Chrome tabs. It's not really a slow system now but I'm looking for the boost an SSD would provide anyway.

It currently has the 500GB 7200rpm hard drive. I don't currently bootcamp Windows, but I'm going to start because I want to use this rig for Battlefield 3 when it comes out.

So given these variables, what do you guys recommend in terms of configuration, drive capacity, home folder location and such? This LifeHacker article recommends keeping the entire Home folder on the magnetic drive, but I'm reading elsewhere that I'd benefit from keeping most of my Home folder on the SSD and just moving capacity hogs like music and pictures to the magnetic. Where would you recommend I store my VMs? And more importantly, where to install the Windows partition? The main purpose of the Windows partition is for occasional gaming, but I will gripe about performance on those occasions.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on the SSD so I'm sort of thinking 120GB would be my limit, but I'm open to suggestion.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

movax posted:

Sounds like a classic memory leak of some sort...or unusually high amounts of disk activity. There are no SMART errors logged for your HDD, are there? What's disk activity look like in Activity Monitor during these slowdowns?

Nope no SMART errors. I haven't thought to look at Activity Monitor during them. I will in the future. Most likely it's what Bob Morales said. drat 3rd party browsers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wheezy360 posted:

I'm looking to add an SSD and MCE OptiBay to my 2011 MacBook Pro quad i7. Just looking for recommendations on SSD brand, size and configuration that will suit my needs.

You have 8GB RAM, right? Keep your VM's on your SSD.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I hope no one frowns upon this, but I wanted to share a secret with you. If you want a Logitech 750 (Mac, solar), go to their site and create a 'cexchange' account, as if you were trading in something. They'll send you a 20% off coupon code just for signing up. I just got a second 750 for a mere $47.99 shipped.

Just a heads up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
How is the 750 compared to the stock chiclet keyboard?

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You have 8GB RAM, right? Keep your VM's on your SSD.

I do. Thanks. I ended up grabbing an Intel 320 160GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wheezy360 posted:

I do. Thanks. I ended up grabbing an Intel 320 160GB.

I have the same one. :respek:
We can be SSD buddies.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

pipebomb posted:

I hope no one frowns upon this, but I wanted to share a secret with you. If you want a Logitech 750 (Mac, solar), go to their site and create a 'cexchange' account, as if you were trading in something. They'll send you a 20% off coupon code just for signing up. I just got a second 750 for a mere $47.99 shipped.

Just a heads up.

Thanks, $48 is less than $60. I like that. Finally convinced me to order it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

pipebomb posted:

You may be able to do better than that if you're not in a hurry. They're celebrating their anniversary this month with a new, extremely good deal every day at Logitech.com.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

We can be SSD buddies.
Same here, it has been a great drive in my MB Pro

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a question about Thunderbolt display compatibility.

Right now I have a 2011 (thunderbolt) iMac, and I'll soon have a 2011 (thunderbolt) Macbook Pro. I want to purchase a thunderbolt display as well.

I know I can hook the thunderbolt display to my iMac. And I know it can work with the macbook pro. I also know the iMac can be a target display for the Macbook Pro. However can I do both? As in can I hook the iMac to the thunderbolt display, and that to the macbook pro, and use both as a monitor? Then if I would disconnect the Macbook Pro, could I then go back to using it as a secondary display on the iMac (without changing cables)?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I've been having some weird temperature/fan issues with my 2011 15" MBPs lately. I believe that temperatures have gone up since I bought it about six months ago. It used to idle with the fans around 2000 rpm at temperatures in the low 50 degrees (celsius), now it idles at 60 or more and the fans are always around 2800-3000 rpm even at idle. Even simple tasks like opening a couple of applications (< 5% CPU utilization) can trigger the fans to go close to 4000 rpm (though CPU temperature is still in the mid 60s). As well, the fans have been spinning up from sleep to maximum in the middle of the night for five minute periods or so, with essentially 0 CPU utilization.

One of the reasons I find this quite weird is that my 2011 11" MBA has a fan which doesn't spin up at all even if the CPU temperature rises to the mid 60s.

I opened the case and sprayed some compressed air in the fans, but I don't think this has changed anything, and reset the SMC (I think -- there doesn't seem to be any confirmation that you've done it correctly when you reset the SMC). Any suggestions?

e: Under full load (literally maxing out every core with yes > dev/null) the CPU temperature doesn't exceed 81 degrees with fans maxed out, so there's nothing to worry about on that front, but just for the sake of noise it would be nice if it went back to idling at 2000 RPM or less.

e1: nevermind, it seems to be a firewire-related thing. When I unplug my FW800 external, it idles below 60 again with fans at 2000 RPM.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2011

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

We can be SSD buddies.

Did you update the firmware out of the box? Just wondering if this 8mb bug may have been fixed on my drive or if I should update the firmware first. It'll be a pain in the rear end because I'll have to take the computer apart twice: once to install the SSD and leave the optical in place so that I can boot from CD to run the FW update, then again to remove the optical drive and replace it with the old HDD. The Intel Firmware update guide says that there'd be an issue booting from a USB CD drive so it doesn't seem like there's another way to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wheezy360 posted:

Did you update the firmware out of the box? Just wondering if this 8mb bug may have been fixed on my drive or if I should update the firmware first. It'll be a pain in the rear end because I'll have to take the computer apart twice: once to install the SSD and leave the optical in place so that I can boot from CD to run the FW update, then again to remove the optical drive and replace it with the old HDD. The Intel Firmware update guide says that there'd be an issue booting from a USB CD drive so it doesn't seem like there's another way to do it.

It takes like two seconds to swap the drive out if you need to. I haven't updated the firmware yet, I've had it almost a year.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It takes like two seconds to swap the drive out if you need to. I haven't updated the firmware yet, I've had it almost a year.

Two seconds! But I want it NOW!

I'll just do it straight away I guess. Suck it up buttercup.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

wheezy360 posted:

Two seconds! But I want it NOW!

I'll just do it straight away I guess. Suck it up buttercup.

Go open a pre-unibody MacBook Pro and understand pure pain.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

ptier posted:

Go open a pre-unibody MacBook Pro and understand pure pain.

crying on the floor with my twenty screws in three sizes, desperately trying to pry the bottom case off, only to find even more screws...

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

El Duke posted:

crying on the floor with my twenty screws in three sizes, desperately trying to pry the bottom case off, only to find even more screws...

Or stripping one of those #00000000 Philips screws made out of soda can aluminium and having to dremel it out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So after some sleuthing I've found out that flashed HD5870s will work in the 1.1 but with no display output on boot up until the login screen.

Does anyone know if this is the same behavior for the official Apple HD5870 cards? There are a few comments on the Apple store item page that says the official HD5870 does work in the 1.1.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I've had my 2011 11" MBA (1.6GHz i5/4GB RAM/128GB HD) for a couple of days now, and it is definitely the coolest electronic device I have ever owned. I feel kind of silly having two Macbooks, but with 6 cables plugged into my MBP at any given time it's not exactly practical to move it on a regular basis; the MBP has real desktop-replacement power though, so I don't mind essentially using it as such. The iMac/MBA combination, as other people have mentioned in this thread, is definitely the combination of Apple products to go with if price is no object.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I'm thinking of buying a Macbook AL or 13" Macbook Pro. Budget around $700. Is that good? Will it get me a machine that'll be reasonably powerful on Snow Leopard or Lion? Or should I save up a little and get a brand new closeout Macbook Pro from Microcenter for $999?

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does Amazon typically take extra time to process computer orders? I bought a 13" MBA last night along with some protein powder, and the powder shipped out today but the laptop is still listed as "shipping soon." I have Amazon Prime so both should have two-day shipping. The powder will be here Saturday, and the expected delivery date of the computer is Monday. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if that's normal.