Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I'm interested in something on PC, preferably single-player, that is brutally difficult, has a high learning curve, and is preferably some sort of turn based strategy game (or some other type of game that allows... or requires... long periods of thinking through your next course of action).

I've played Frozen Synapse and enjoyed it. I've also played Fallout Tactics and I think I would have liked it more if there was something similar but more up-to-date.

It doesn't have to be a tactics/strategy game, though. Basically I'm looking for a difficult, hard to learn, non-twitch based, non-grindy, single-player PC game that I can obsess over for a while.

I know it sounds like torture, but I have this inexplicable itch for a challenge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

I'm interested in something on PC, preferably single-player, that is brutally difficult, has a high learning curve, and is preferably some sort of turn based strategy game (or some other type of game that allows... or requires... long periods of thinking through your next course of action).

I've played Frozen Synapse and enjoyed it. I've also played Fallout Tactics and I think I would have liked it more if there was something similar but more up-to-date.

It doesn't have to be a tactics/strategy game, though. Basically I'm looking for a difficult, hard to learn, non-twitch based, non-grindy, single-player PC game that I can obsess over for a while.

Pick a roguelike, any roguelike. I personally recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. If you want something a little flashier, Avadon is a good buy and the base difficulty gets pretty steep towards the end game, and you can select two difficulty levels beyond the standard if you find it too easy.

Avadon also nicely fits your criteria because the game runs real time until you enter combat, at which point it auto-pauses and becomes turn-based.

I don't have any recommendations for something with modern graphics, sadly.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

xezton posted:

I know it sounds like torture, but I have this inexplicable itch for a challenge...

Check out Silent Storm. It's a more modern game in the same vein as Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

xezton posted:

There's always the 1.13 fan update of Jagged Alliance 2. It's "comparable to" rather than "more advanced than" Fallout Tactics, though.

If 4X games are capable of scratching this itch, try Space Empires IV. Primitive tile graphics but what does a 4X game really need for graphics?

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Thank you very much!

Not sure if I want to go the roguelike route. I have yet to find one that I really enjoy.

I watched a let's play for Silent Storm and it did, indeed, look good! I just need to find a place to buy it. I think this is more along the lines of what I meant when I said "like Fallout Tactics but more up-to-date".

I noticed a couple of people mentioned Jagged Alliance. It appars that Jagged Alliance 2 Gold is on sale on Steam for like $7, so I think I might just get that and try it, too.

Thanks goons. This is the second time this thread has helped cure my boredom. :swoon:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

xezton posted:

Thank you very much!

Not sure if I want to go the roguelike route. I have yet to find one that I really enjoy.

I watched a let's play for Silent Storm and it did, indeed, look good! I just need to find a place to buy it. I think this is more along the lines of what I meant when I said "like Fallout Tactics but more up-to-date".

I noticed a couple of people mentioned Jagged Alliance. It appars that Jagged Alliance 2 Gold is on sale on Steam for like $7, so I think I might just get that and try it, too.

Thanks goons. This is the second time this thread has helped cure my boredom. :swoon:

Get Jagged Alliance 2 with the newest patch. Seriously one of the best games you'll ever play.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just found out Mechcommander Gold is available for free and download. I'M SO HAPPY!

I was wondering if there were any other RTS games out there with similar resource management and squad based combat.

Edit: Anything would be good but I would prefer something more recent.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

GiggidyGoop posted:

For those that want to play something quick and fun I'd like to recommend a game my students did. They did everything and deserve all credit. It's one of the best student games I've ever seen

http://sketchquest.webs.com/Webplayer/MainGame.html

It's a platformer where you draw all the items you use in game in a great sketchbook art style.

I just want to say that the ability to completely misuse the tools you provided make this game great. Draw a "sword", eh? Muhahahaha...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manos del Sino posted:

Pick a roguelike, any roguelike. I personally recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I took this recommendation and have been hopelessly addicted for the past couple of days. This is my first roguelike experience really. The game is free and has a tutorial, I'd advise people to check it out. Kinda sad that you can't do the online mode with tiles, that ASCII poo poo is just too much for me. Kinda interested in Dungeon's of Dredmor, where do I go from here as far as tile-based roguelikes go?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can somebody recommend me an (easy) puzzle game with rpg or upgrade elements?

The upcoming Wizorb game looks really neat but I didn't really enjoy Puzzle Quest (I don't like the match-3 blocks type of games)

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes seemed to have a ton of promise but I didn't like it too much either.

Those are the types of games I am looking for though...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I took this recommendation and have been hopelessly addicted for the past couple of days. This is my first roguelike experience really. The game is free and has a tutorial, I'd advise people to check it out. Kinda sad that you can't do the online mode with tiles, that ASCII poo poo is just too much for me. Kinda interested in Dungeon's of Dredmor, where do I go from here as far as tile-based roguelikes go?

You can, kind of. I never play tiles online, so I wouldn't know, but from what I understand webtiles is basically the same as regular tiles, only a little worse (and with some lag).

My favorite tiled roguelike (and one of my favorites period) is the DS game Shiren the Wanderer. It's fairly simple compared to Crawl, but complicated enough to be interesting, and the tiles really do work. There are a number of console roguelikes, but this is the only one I've enjoyed.

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker
I'm looking for a brutally difficult game for PC that isn't super meat boy or space chem. Any genre, old or new. I realise that's hoplessley vague but I'll have a look at any suggestions, what was the last PC game that you remember being ball crushingly hard?

If it's on steam or gog that's a massive bonus

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Player 2 posted:

I'm looking for a brutally difficult game for PC that isn't super meat boy or space chem. Any genre, old or new. I realise that's hoplessley vague but I'll have a look at any suggestions, what was the last PC game that you remember being ball crushingly hard?

X-COM: Terror From the Deep on whatever the highest difficulty level is? :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nrook posted:

You can, kind of. I never play tiles online, so I wouldn't know, but from what I understand webtiles is basically the same as regular tiles, only a little worse (and with some lag).

I was sold until I saw the lack of a graphical inventory.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Player 2 posted:

Do VVVVVV. There are certain parts and challenge rooms that will tear your hair right out.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

I am looking for online turn-based economy simulator. Browser-based, free subscription, ideally with goons. I created account in Virtonomics, but not sure if this is best you can find.

Maybe there is a thread on virtual economy simulators already?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Player 2 posted:

The Binding of Isaac is pretty effing hard. And of course if you've not played Syobon Action (aka Cat Mario or DONGS.EXE) or I Wanna Be The Guy!, those are free options.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This might be weird, but

I am a huge fan of strategy games, especially RTS but turn-based too, in which I have an avatar that participates in the game. The commander robot in Supreme Commander, any of the third person/FPS RTS hybrids like Sacrifice, Battlezone or Uprising, or in something like Age of Wonders where your created wizard is part of the game, and can participate in battle or die.

Basically the action-RTS is the best genre and there should be more of them.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Welcome to roguelikes, we have a thread you might like! I've been kind of lax about keeping the OP up to date, but it still should be a good resource to start with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Contest Winner posted:

This might be weird, but

I am a huge fan of strategy games, especially RTS but turn-based too, in which I have an avatar that participates in the game. The commander robot in Supreme Commander, any of the third person/FPS RTS hybrids like Sacrifice, Battlezone or Uprising, or in something like Age of Wonders where your created wizard is part of the game, and can participate in battle or die.

Basically the action-RTS is the best genre and there should be more of them.

Check out Spellforce (Spellforce 2 is better, but lighter on RTS elements from what I played). There's also Warlords: Battlecry (1, 2, and 3) which have a lot of hero customization options, but the RTS elements are fairly bland.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

xezton posted:

I've recommended this a few times recently but the Close Combat games would fit the bill as well. They recently got re released by Matrix Games. If you're not spending 30 minutes pondering your starting locations, pausing mid-action to consider strategy, and pulling your hair out when the Germans out manouevre you, you're doing it wrong. Great, challenging game. It's not wholly turn based, in fact the action is real time and you need to think on your feet (you can pause for thought, though) but the campaigns as a whole play out in a risk style turn-based overworld.

Also see: Space Rangers II, most Paradox Interactive games and Stardock games. Many of which are pausable realtime as well but it pretty much boils down to the same thing. Lots of thinking. Honorable mention to Football Manager if you're sports-inclined. Turn based management but includes vast amounts of strategy.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 13, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Player 2 posted:

I Wanna Be The Guy

You'll never ask for a hard game again.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Player 2 posted:

Well, lately Stepmania loaded with keyboard-focused simfiles has been driving me mad. That's a very specific sort of difficulty, though.
You could also try bullet hell games.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Vinlaen posted:

Can somebody recommend me an (easy) puzzle game with rpg or upgrade elements?

This may not be what you're looking for exactly, but if you don't mind high school-themed games, I'd recommend Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27400/

It's basically a casual RPG-lite/board game hybrid which is very much fun.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Player 2 posted:

Stalker on highest difficulty. People were complaining it was too hard on the lowest. Starts off very hard, becomes manageable mid game, quite easy in late game, but the endgame is incredibly hard and frustrating

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm looking for something in the vein of Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM, or Icewind Dale II. Turn-based, squad-based combat with a high degree of character specialization and development. Any recommendations? I have a PC and a Wii (and all necessary Gamecube accessories!). I could probably be talked into buying another system, though.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 13, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MMAgCh posted:

X-COM: Terror From the Deep on whatever the highest difficulty level is? :v:

Jesus man, do you want him to snap and hurl his computer out of a window?

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Player 2 posted:

Metro 2033 on Ranger mode.
Tons of atmosphere and Ranger mode takes away your hud and makes everything more deadly (yourself included).
Really sucks you in and the increased difficulty puts you even more on edge.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Jinnigan posted:

I'm looking for something in the vein of Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM, or Icewind Dale II. Turn-based, squad-based combat with a high degree of character specialization and development. Any recommendations? I have a PC and a Wii (and all necessary Gamecube accessories!). I could probably be talked into buying another system, though.

The Ghost Recon game for the 3DS is made by the lead designer for x-com, besides from that I dunno though, I'd like to know more of these my self.

Also check out Xenonauts, it's a spiritual inheritor to x-com which from what I've played at an expo is very faithful. That said I think they're having payment issues at the moment.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fil5000 posted:

Jesus man, do you want him to snap and hurl his computer out of a window?
Hey, he wants "ball crushingly hard", he can drat well have it.

(Although I'll admit that there is a very fine line between "hard" and "stupendous and frustrating".)

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

I feel like I recommend this game all the time, but check out Temple of Elemental Evil if you like Icewind Dale 2. It's combat is much more faithful to actual turn-based 3rd-edition D&D combat. For things similar to JA2 I've heard good things about Silent Storm though I've never played it.

Alternatively if you don't mind Japanese SRPGs, pick up a PSP and grab Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics & Jeanne D'arc. Tactics Ogre in particular is wonderful.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

FuriousGeorge posted:

I feel like I recommend this game all the time, but check out Temple of Elemental Evil if you like Icewind Dale 2. It's combat is much more faithful to actual turn-based 3rd-edition D&D combat. For things similar to JA2 I've heard good things about Silent Storm though I've never played it.

Alternatively if you don't mind Japanese SRPGs, pick up a PSP and grab Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics & Jeanne D'arc. Tactics Ogre in particular is wonderful.

TOEE is pretty frustrating for someone who doesn't actually know anything about the paper D&D, or care about the PnP version. I still haven't made it past the first fight because level 1 D&D characters suck rear end! woot.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Brace posted:

I Wanna Be The Guy

You'll never ask for a hard game again.

No, but you will ask for a good game that isn't notoriously buggy and crash happy, regardless of difficulty.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Two questions...

Other than Demon's Souls and Disgaea, what's the best RPG for PS3?

Does a website exist that functions for games like last.fm or pandora function for music? All I want to do is type in a game and get a list of like its top 5 most similar comps.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MMAgCh posted:

Hey, he wants "ball crushingly hard", he can drat well have it.

(Although I'll admit that there is a very fine line between "hard" and "stupendous and frustrating".)

It may be worth pointing out that due to a bug in the first XCOM game that reset difficulty to the lowest setting after reloading a game, the developers got feedback that it was too easy and cranked the difficulty on TFTD. Therefore even on the easist settings TFTD is akin to being repeatedly punched in the face at best, and at worst (bloody bastard cruise ships) it's like having every nerve in your body removed, tied into a gordian knot, dunked in bleach and then burned.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I may be getting a ps3 for christmas, and aside from a few choice games I've noticed over the years I'm pretty clueless on what to buy for it! So far I am quite sure I want Disgaea 3/4 and Valkyria Chronicles. I've had a friend recommend Catherine to me as well, but I'm on the fence over that.

I like RPGs of all sorts, but particularly strategy and traditional jrpgs. I haven't played a jrpg since Xenosaga, and as much as I love the series (except #2) I've beaten it a good four or five times over. I prefer shmups and rpgs, but I enjoy pretty much everything but rhythm games and fighters as I'm awful at them.

So, what games would suit me for the ps3? I also saw there is a Rune Factory game for the ps3, which is tempting. :ohdear:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls are extraordinarily well-designed action RPGs. They're honestly not as difficult as they're reputed to be (they're significantly easier than any Grand Theft Auto I've ever played, for example), but do expect a few hours of floundering/getting used to the gameplay before you get hopelessly addicted. I'm playing through Dark Souls right now, and I want to call it the best D&D game I've ever played, despite it having nothing to do with that license—it's just a perfect example of classic sword & sorcery fantasy done well, and the dungeon design is immersive as hell.

Catherine is an exceedingly difficult action-puzzle game. The plot/visual novel elements are interesting, but don't bother if that's the only aspect of it that interests you.

Also because I know you'll be considering it, I'm giving an anti-recommendation to White Knight Chronicles. It's a shallow mess of a game with a plot that would have been considered substandard in the SNES era, the gameplay is just FF12 Lite, and you have to grind the same stages over and over again to unlock new ones when you're playing online.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 23, 2011

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm looking for an immersive RPG to put myself in the mood for Skyrim. You know, one of those games where you create a level 1 loser with only his underwear to his name and go out to interact with a big lively world. I've already played the obvious Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Any ideas?

Alternatively, I'd like to play any game with a strong, well-written plot.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm looking for an immersive RPG to put myself in the mood for Skyrim. You know, one of those games where you create a level 1 loser with only his underwear to his name and go out to interact with a big lively world. I've already played the obvious Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Any ideas?

Morrowind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Heavy neutrino posted:

Or Oblivion!

But you might actually like Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. It's available on Steam, or other PC DD platforms, and I'm pretty sure it's out for a console or two, as well. But if you get it, make sure you get the Dragon Knight Saga version, as it's been streamlined and has a bonus act (called Dragon Knight Saga, actually, I think). It's not really like Fallout or Oblivion, but not terribly far off, and has a very interesting quest/mind-reading system.