Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

NGL posted:

Firefly did, but Serenity did not.

I think Serenity got away with it using the whole "ion cloud" as an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpookyLizard posted:

Oh, okay, yeah, I didn't think of that. I read it and thought that there was some ship with engines pointed forward and flew around like that or something. Yeah, I just plain forgot about actual physics since it's star wars. It really didn't even occur to me that was the thing. (also apollo 13 is awesome).

There's a passage in one of the Rouge Squadron books in which they engage in an atmospheric dogfight, and they attach spare fuel tanks to their ships. One of them makes a comment that in hyperspace flight, their engines barely sip fuel, but in dogfighting they gulp it, which actually makes sense. You only need an initial burst of acceleration for long single directional flights, but in dogfighting you are moving a lot (even in zero-g space) so you'll use more fuel.

This does not however, explain why the Outrider doesn't just spin around in atmosphere, being that it's the most non-aerodynamic ship ever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The new(ish now) Battlestar Galactica series also went with a more realistic space combat. Also while it had sound in space it was severely muted.

But when a couple of dudes were sucked into space they still managed to get frostburns somehow. So much for realism.

Wasn't there an EU(ish) explanation of sounds in Star Wars Space though? Something like "it's drat smart to know what's going on around you, and since your puny human eyes only point one way you might as well get info from your ears. So the actual ship would simulate the sounds to let the pilots know what was going on. Of course that doesn't explain the sounds when we have a scene filmed from outside a ship, but who the hell is hearing those sounds anyway?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

BonHair posted:

Wasn't there an EU(ish) explanation of sounds in Star Wars Space though? Something like "it's drat smart to know what's going on around you, and since your puny human eyes only point one way you might as well get info from your ears. So the actual ship would simulate the sounds to let the pilots know what was going on. Of course that doesn't explain the sounds when we have a scene filmed from outside a ship, but who the hell is hearing those sounds anyway?
Yeah, there was. If I remember right, it's from the novelisation of A New Hope (which was published before the movie came out, making it the first official Star Wars work ever), in which either Red Leader or Han (can't remember which) explains to Luke that the ship's computer system will replicate sounds in the cockpit based on what's going on around him. It's a pretty good explanation, really, and a pretty good thing to have in a starfighter, considering the tactical importance of sound.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Remember that "What if?" comic where Darth Maul survived being de-torsoed and came back to fight Obi-Wan between trilogies? Honestly I enjoyed it. Since it was just a non-canon imaginary tale you didn't have to worry about what a preposterously dumb idea it was.

Right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Not that much dumber than anything else to do with the prequels. Probably a bit less dumb than most, really.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Captain von Trapp posted:

Remember that "What if?" comic where Darth Maul survived being de-torsoed and came back to fight Obi-Wan between trilogies? Honestly I enjoyed it. Since it was just a non-canon imaginary tale you didn't have to worry about what a preposterously dumb idea it was.

Right?

quote:

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars. Awesome as Maul was in the movie, he barely got to do anything before the old chop-chop. When asked if Maul’s return is motivated by the feeling that he was underutilized in The Phantom Menace, Filoni says, “I think in part.”

Oh Lucas, you card!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
When Lucas eventually gets around to making the live action Star Wars show I can't wait to see the triumphant return of General Grievous!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I know it's unrealistic but I could listen to the Viper's machine gun fire and the Galactica's flak barrier all day.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with hearing machine gun fire in any scene shot in the cockpit. I could believe the sound would be transmitted through the hull.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Right?

Can't wait to hear the Clone Wars fans spin this as being a great classic Star Wars adventure that hearkens back to the best of the OT.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BSG really had the best space physics. Dogfights where you flip backwards and fire on enemies while retaining your original momentum.

They did also up the volume greatly when they went for an interior cockpit camera shot, you could hear the pilot firing their guns.

That being said they wrote themselves into some big corners on that show and it went down hill. "Adama Maneuver" is still my favorite scifi stunt though, that was ridiculous. Couldnt be done with Star Wars physics though.

What was up with Dooku's solar sail ship though? That was even more impractical then their regular craft. Solar sails need to be miles across and would accelerate very slowly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They were space solar sails.

Um.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/24jan_solarsail/

Apartenly a 10m sail will get you orbiting earth, and the Japanesse sent one to Venus, I remember a Michio Kaku book where he talked about using one as interstellar travel would have to be massive and you could speed it up by hitting it with a lazer from the moon, which would let your power source effectivly stay local so ~0 fuel needs to be loaded on the craft.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Right?

I love the way the article tries to justify it. "Uhh....The Force?"

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Bombadilillo posted:

BSG really had the best space physics. Dogfights where you flip backwards and fire on enemies while retaining your original momentum.

They did also up the volume greatly when they went for an interior cockpit camera shot, you could hear the pilot firing their guns.

That being said they wrote themselves into some big corners on that show and it went down hill. "Adama Maneuver" is still my favorite scifi stunt though, that was ridiculous. Couldnt be done with Star Wars physics though.

What was up with Dooku's solar sail ship though? That was even more impractical then their regular craft. Solar sails need to be miles across and would accelerate very slowly.

He was massively rich and used it to impress people since it was a antique. Why the hell it was used as a escape craft makes no drat sense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

Can't wait to hear the Clone Wars fans spin this as being a great classic Star Wars adventure that hearkens back to the best of the OT.

Who say this? You've said this twice now, and I'm a pretty big apologist of the show and I'd never say anything like this.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 12, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Darth Freddy posted:

He was massively rich and used it to impress people since it was a antique. Why the hell it was used as a escape craft makes no drat sense.

Lol, it fits with he personality to use a wild overly elaborate ship like that.

Is there an EU explination? Like it didnt use normal propultion so it was untrackable or something?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Didn't Firefly also have "realistic no-sound in space"?

I think this was as much an artistic decision as a scientific one, if not more so. It's basically the sole scientifically accurate point in the entire show/franchise.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Something else about space dogfights is that the survivability of starfighters is really all over the place, especially the Rebel Fighters. In the movies, there's usually one or two secords of a TIE firing on an X-wing before it blows apart.

As someone who played TIE Fighter, I know that you need at least 4 seconds of concentrated fire to down an X-Wing, assuming it isn't evading. :spergin:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

qntm posted:

I think this was as much an artistic decision as a scientific one, if not more so. It's basically the sole scientifically accurate point in the entire show/franchise.

That being a bit harsh, If you are going to do a space scene without sound then it definatly detracts, you have to counter that by making it a bit artistic. They open the show with a silent space scene and every one after that was too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Who say this? You've said this twice now, and I'm a pretty big apologist of the show and I'd never say anything like this.

I can't point to a specific post online or anything, but this has been a pretty common thing in my opinion, both online and offline - saying that the characterization is like the OT, the sense of adventure and fun is like the OT, the spirit of it is closer to the OT, the 1930s serial aspect is like the OT, etc. I haven't been to the CW thread in TVIV in a very long time, but this was definitely a common theme there in the first season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like the Maul thing is the first time this has happened.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

quote:

Savage Opress

I had to Google this to make sure you weren't loving with me. In his next Star Wars project is Lucas finally gonna say gently caress it and name the villain Evil Badguy?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm pretty sure that's Kyle Katarn, but what in the everliving gently caress is that thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Kyle Katarn, but what in the everliving gently caress is that thing?

Maw. One of the bosses from Jedi Knight. Kyle's version of Obi-wan cut him in half in the opening cutscene and he returned with his lower half replaced by a hovercraft.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

Maw. One of the bosses from Jedi Knight. Kyle's version of Obi-wan cut him in half in the opening cutscene and he returned with his lower half replaced by a hovercraft.

People can say all the good things they want about that game, but the plot and cut scenes were absolutely horrendous. Terrible stuff.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Jedi Knight might look like a piece of crap now, but in 1997, that poo poo was amazing. Think about it: those cut scenes are the first time you see a live action light saber since the OT, and I'll be damned if what little saberplay they show in the cut scenes doesn't beat the hell out of most of the PT. Gameplay aside (which I loved both online and off), the whole thing was more cohesive and in the spirit of Star Wars than Episodes 1, 2, or 3.

Plus Kyle Katarn is rad.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All I remember about Jedi Knight was playing as C3-PO with a lightsaber in multiplayer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ECBoots posted:

Jedi Knight might look like a piece of crap now, but in 1997, that poo poo was amazing. Think about it: those cut scenes are the first time you see a live action light saber since the OT, and I'll be damned if what little saberplay they show in the cut scenes doesn't beat the hell out of most of the PT. Gameplay aside (which I loved both online and off), the whole thing was more cohesive and in the spirit of Star Wars than Episodes 1, 2, or 3.

Plus Kyle Katarn is rad.

I played it when it first came out in 1997. And 14 year old me thought it sucked. Hard. Gameplay was fun, don't get me wrong, but the cut scenes were truly terrible, and enough for me to not have many good memories of the game.

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

thrawn527 posted:

I played it when it first came out in 1997. And 14 year old me thought it sucked. Hard. Gameplay was fun, don't get me wrong, but the cut scenes were truly terrible, and enough for me to not have many good memories of the game.

No way. That first part on nar shada, the huge open spaces and the authentic star wars sound effects. The water dam level where you finally meet up with some storm troopers. That game was awesome.

Wish they would go back to making original trilogy games. New Dark Forces and Xwing please.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I had X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, it came in the games bundle when my family bought our first home computer, think it was a Gateway 233Mhz, pure beast at the time, that and the Jedi Knight series are the pinnacle of Star Wars for me. I hadn't even seen the original Star Wars films at that point.

Edit: Episode 1 Podracer was also a fantastic game. The only good thing to come out of the PT.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 13, 2011

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Yeah, there was. If I remember right, it's from the novelisation of A New Hope (which was published before the movie came out, making it the first official Star Wars work ever), in which either Red Leader or Han (can't remember which) explains to Luke that the ship's computer system will replicate sounds in the cockpit based on what's going on around him. It's a pretty good explanation, really, and a pretty good thing to have in a starfighter, considering the tactical importance of sound.

Is A New Hope a good read?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bombadilillo posted:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/24jan_solarsail/

Apartenly a 10m sail will get you orbiting earth, and the Japanesse sent one to Venus.

Correction -- a 10-square-meter sail will get you from one Earth orbit to a very slightly different Earth orbit. Very gradually. And that's assuming your entire ship is only four kg (nine pounds); if you're heavier, you go slower in proportion.

Solar sails have to be freaking GIGANTIC to do much of anything. The ridiculous little thing on Dooku's ship is even sillier than TIE fighters being powered by their "solar panels."

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Correction -- a 10-square-meter sail will get you from one Earth orbit to a very slightly different Earth orbit. Very gradually. And that's assuming your entire ship is only four kg (nine pounds); if you're heavier, you go slower in proportion.

Solar sails have to be freaking GIGANTIC to do much of anything. The ridiculous little thing on Dooku's ship is even sillier than TIE fighters being powered by their "solar panels."

Yes my wording was wrong, you cant get to orbiting earth with just a sail.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I'm looking to get TIE Fighter Collectors Edition up and running. Anyone know what I need to have to do this? I don't want to google it because I don't feel like sorting through a billion forums and sites when a goon might already know what's best.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Is A New Hope a good read?
The movie novelizations are actually some of the few books I haven't read, which is why I'm not quite sure which character gave the explanation; I'm just going based off a quote from someone else. If they're anything like the radio dramas, though, then they're probably quite good.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I got the movie novelizations collected in a single book when I was a kid (can't find a picture online; the color scheme was mostly black with red accents) and I thought they were really cool. Like the radio dramas, they have parts that deviate pretty severely from the movies.

edit: found it by Googling the author names

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 13, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hazo posted:

I got the movie novelizations collected in a single book when I was a kid (can't find a picture online; the color scheme was mostly black with red accents) and I thought they were really cool. Like the radio dramas, they have parts that deviate pretty severely from the movies.

edit: found it by Googling the author names

Yep, that's the one alright. I have that somewhere as well.

My copy of "Secret History of Star Wars" came in today, should make for a great read!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The movie novelizations are actually some of the few books I haven't read, which is why I'm not quite sure which character gave the explanation; I'm just going based off a quote from someone else. If they're anything like the radio dramas, though, then they're probably quite good.
This came up on the SWTC page actually, which I used to read assiduously. It was Han, during the scene where he tells Luke to gently caress off to the turret and earn his pay.

Here have some quote because of all these star wars:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/astro.html posted:

Sound does not propagate in space. Although even the depths of interstellar space are filled with a few atoms per cubic centimetre this is not enough of a medium to carry vibrations. The impact of a passing starship against these diffuse molecules will not cause an appreciable sound detectible at another craft.

Therefore it becomes difficult and important to explain how it is that the crews of starships and starfighters are apparently able to hear the movement of nearby vessels and beam weapons. Several qualities need to be accommodated:

1. Crew actually hear these phenomena; they behaviorally respond as if to audio stimuli.
2. Nearby weapon beams sound louder than distant ones.
3. A nearby starship sounds louder than a distant one.
4. The sound characterises the model of starship.
5. A passing starship exhibits a Doppler shift of pitch, according to relative velocity.

The most plausible explanation is that the sound is produced inside the cockpit of each starship for the benefit of crew. External radiation sensors of various kinds are linked to audio systems of the cockpit in order to provide the pilot with audible cues to the proximity of other starships and energetic phenomena, operating like a glorified Geiger-counter. A greater rate of particle detections occurs when the source is more powerful or closer; each of these contributes an audible click on internal speakers, millions of pulses received combine to give a sound which characterises the emission spectrum of the passing starship.

This is an efficient use of the pilot's senses to convey vital information; the pilot's sight is likely to be preoccupied with controls and visual displays. As a technology it also has the strength of appealing to basic human intuitions about how the physical world operates.

An alternative explanation for the sounds involves the starships' shields. All space vessels operating beyond the protection of the atmosphere and magnetosphere of a planet require at least some shielding to protect them from solar wind particles, etc. The shields can hug the hull, and are at least connected to the ship via their generators. It therefore seems possible that disturbances to the shields could be indirectly but physically felt through the hull or the generators. The radiation from from blaster shots or nearby sublight engines may cause resonant vibrations, heard inside the ship as sounds.

The only obvious possible problem with this theory is that it doesn't seem to guarantee that the same kind of source (eg. a TIE fighter) would create the same kind of noise in different ships (eg. X-Wings or the Millennium Falcon).

An important quote has been discovered in the A New Hope radio play that conclusively proves that the “sounds in space” really are just auditory sensor feedback provided to crew inside a ship. This does not rule out the possiblity of some kinds of shield disturbances may have audible effects, but it does indicate that the sounds heard in the movies are primarily a product of sensor systems. As Han Solo explains to Luke Skywalker [ANHRD:286-287]:

Your sensors'll give you an audio simulation for a rough idea of where those fighters are when they're not on your screen. It'll sound like they're right there in the turret with you.

From the evidence of the movies, it seems that major warships dispense with this effect, which is how the Executor, Home One and star destroyer command bridges maintain such a pure and clinical atmosphere. Of course, the ships' gunners, helmsmen and other crew who are immediately and directly concerned with outside action may have auditory sensor data fed into their helmets and headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Timby posted:

I never played Rebel Strike, but I just watched a YouTube video of the attack on the Executor.

Holy poo poo. The voice actor for Ackbar is just hilariously awful.

Edit: Here is is.

Wait a minute... Darth's Star Destroyer is called the Exec-utor?

I've been calling it the Ex-ecutor! Why didn't someone tell me? Ohh... I've been making an idiot out of myself!