Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Crazy jibberish!

Mumble? Perhaps! Jumbo? Perhaps not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
We're oowwwwwwwwlllll exterminators.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cptInsane0 posted:

Oh yeah? Well, let's see you...EXTERMINATE THIS OWL!!!!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

cptInsane0 posted:

That's an owl egg, that's about to hatch into an owl larva.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

smashpro1 posted:

That's an owl egg, that's about to hatch into an owl larva.

NOBODY CORRECT HIM!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

cptInsane0 posted:

Whale biologist.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.

Coleman posted:

Whale biologist.

You're not Santa! You're not even robots! How DARE YOU lie in front of Jesus!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

kangal posted:

I help those that help themselves! Woob woob woob!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thwomp posted:

Crazy jibberish!

I will say a dee os, pad-rey. Come Gee-sis my faithful chee-who-ah-wah. Tonight we eat.... gwak-a-mole by the El Ree-o!!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I will say a dee os, pad-rey. Come Gee-sis my faithful chee-who-ah-wah. Tonight we eat.... gwak-a-mole by the El Ree-o!!

That was so bad I think it gave me cancer!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kangal posted:

Six? :monocle:

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Six? :monocle:
What about what?

OH! This actually reminds me.

So uhh, recently we got Comedy Central HD. I make a habit of setting my DVR to record the last 5 episodes of Futurama that air, so that I have a couple to watch whenever I want. When we got the HD channel, I switched the recording set from CC SD to CC HD. Last night I sat down to watch a couple of episodes, War is the H Word, and Parasites Lost. Several times throughout both episodes, I caught lines/segments that they appear to have cut out of the show. They're not lines that are offensive in any way, nothing that someone could have a problem with, but they were removed, for example:

Kif: "That new recruit is phenomenal sir!"
Zapp: "He edged out my record by 2 seconds... and 16 minutes."
*Pats Leela on the rear end*
Zapp: "Good hustle soldier!"

I rewound and watched it again to make sure I didn't space out or something, it definitely cut out the end of that second line, "He edged out my record by 2 seconds... and 16 minutes... and 12 hours. I do plan to finish someday, Kif."

Has anyone seen this? Or heard about this? Or have any idea why it would be done?

Coleman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 12, 2011

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Probably just syndication cuts. Are you saying you remember those lines being in the episodes when they were shown on the SD feed?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Klungar posted:

Probably just syndication cuts. Are you saying you remember those lines being in the episodes when they were shown on the SD feed?
Yes, distinctly. Like many of you, I know most of the episodes beginning to end by heart. (Especially my favorite episodes, which both of those happen to be.) And I have never seen those lines removed.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
They may have different ads for HD as they're probably mostly filmed in HD now.

The ads get into your brain, just like this liquid gets into this egg.

Although in reality it's not liquid, but gamma radiation. :)

Coleman
May 5, 2011

superjew posted:

They may have different ads for HD as they're probably mostly filmed in HD now.

The ads get into your brain, just like this liquid gets into this egg.

Although in reality it's not liquid, but gamma radiation. :)
Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Also I guess that makes sense, but given that commercial length is standardized, I don't see why they'd have to do that. They were good jokes, too. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Coleman posted:

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Also I guess that makes sense, but given that commercial length is standardized, I don't see why they'd have to do that. They were good jokes, too. :(

Great zombie! Jesus!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The episode where the flying brains come to Earth and make people stupid is on now-- Maybe someone noticed way before now, but how long ago did they change Bender's line from "Let's join the Reform Party!" to "Let's join the Tea Party!"? I've seen these episodes so many times that just that little change caught me completely offguard and had me dying.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Hazo posted:

The episode where the flying brains come to Earth and make people stupid is on now-- Maybe someone noticed way before now, but how long ago did they change Bender's line from "Let's join the Reform Party!" to "Let's join the Tea Party!"? I've seen these episodes so many times that just that little change caught me completely offguard and had me dying.
I've... never heard that. I just recorded both the HD and SD version of that episode. I will be watching both to see if the difference in lines is there, I'll check for that one too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hazo posted:

Who's Lucas'ing up these episodes? :argh:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In the last episode, Frye said he had been trying to get Leela pregnant, but the only one he managed to get pregnant was Amy.

I don't see Amy with a baby.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

You know Suicide Booths? Think smaller...

Coleman
May 5, 2011

GORDON posted:

In the last episode, Frye said he had been trying to get Leela pregnant, but the only one he managed to get pregnant was Amy.

It's pretty possible Fry doesn't really understand pregnancy.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Coleman posted:

It's pretty possible Fry doesn't really understand pregnancy.

Yeah, have Fry and Leela actually had sex in canon (I can't believe I'm typing this). They did in an Anthology of Interest, but I can't recall any otherwise.

Fake Edit: Prisoner of Benda. In the Professor and Zoidberg bodies.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

GORDON posted:

The three-part episodes generally screw up the entire Futurama story for the sake of jokes. If you'll recall the crew died in each of the holiday segments. Also, Fry and Leela die at the end of the very episode you're referencing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Athenry posted:

Yeah, have Fry and Leela actually had sex in canon (I can't believe I'm typing this). They did in an Anthology of Interest, but I can't recall any otherwise.

Fake Edit: Prisoner of Benda. In the Professor and Zoidberg bodies.

It was niiiiiiice

That is probably still my favorite episode since they came back, I still sometimes crack up thinking of Zoidberg in Fry's body clambering over the stove and knocking it over onto the floor while looking for the wine cellar.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

As it turns out, the SD one is the same as the HD. But I do not remember these parts being cut out. In The Day The Earth Stood Stupid, they cut out the entire Bender/Zoidberg entry...

This blows. :(

...OH MY GOD (I'm still watching it as I typed this.)

"Why is that good news?"
"They paid in advance."

...they removed the *TWAAAAAAANG*. "Excuse me." bit, that's one of my favorite lines of all time. :(

Also confirming the "let's go join the Tea party". That is definitely not correct.

This is awful.

This was posted on gotfuturama.com (third article from the top on the main page.)

quote:

Otherwise known as Futurama co-creator David X Cohen.
I received an email today from him regarding re-runs of the show.
He thought some of you might notice certain edits in syndicated re-runs so he wanted to set the record straight:

David X. Cohen here. I wanted to mention a few things regarding the "weekend syndication" run of Futurama that starts in the U.S. this weekend (Sept 24, 2011).

Obviously this is very good news for Futurama... Futurama has reached a number of episodes and a level of awareness where broadcasters are interested in showing the series. One thing that goes along with this success is that we have to make the episodes a little shorter to match the available length of the syndication time slot. This affects all syndicated series, not just Futurama. For example, the Simpsons episodes are cut down for U.S. syndication.

In the case of Futurama, we are fortunate that we still have our production team together, so I have been able to personally make the adjustments to the episodes with our editor, Paul Calder, who has been working with me on the series from the very beginning. I have tried my best not to cut anything that is critical to the episodes or the series as a whole, and also to keep intact the most popular runs of dialog. But of course, here and there, somebody's favorite line will be missing. There's just no way around it... it's the price of success. On the bright side, I think in many cases the pacing of the episodes has been improved slightly, and some subtle visual improvements and error corrections have been made as well. Some episodes may well be improved on the whole. Rest assured, no cuts are being made by anyone outside our production office.

The Comedy Central cable network, which broadcast both new and old episodes in the U.S., also has the option of showing either the original or syndication versions of the show. In the case of reruns, they are switching to the new syndication versions. New episodes should continue to air uncut, and the original full-length versions of course remain available for download and on DVD.

That's all... back to work for me now on 26 more new ones...

DXC

Thanks David!
Also, if you missed it yesterday, check out our interview with Peter Avanzino about 'Reincanation' here.
The date on the article was 9.23.11 so I guess it's possible I just haven't noticed in the last few weeks. But god drat, that annoys the crap out of me. :(

Coleman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 13, 2011

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Coleman posted:

Also confirming the "let's go join the Tea party". That is definitely not correct.

This is awful.
You didn't like it? I know shows have to cut a lot of stuff for syndication runs, which obviously sucks, but I thought them going back and re-recording a line in a decade-old episode just to keep the joke current was pretty funny.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Hazo posted:

You didn't like it? I know shows have to cut a lot of stuff for syndication runs, which obviously sucks, but I thought them going back and re-recording a line in a decade-old episode just to keep the joke current was pretty funny.
The "This is awful" was more in overall relation to them cropping the episodes. I've already caught several lines I really enjoyed removed. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The reason why you're watching them on TV should be because you've worn down your DVDs. It's the one series where I've actually made backups of all the DVDs because I'm afraid I'm wearing them down (especially when we did that episode a day thing and I posted screenshots of each episode, right before the new season started again).

Coleman
May 5, 2011

IUG posted:

The reason why you're watching them on TV should be because you've worn down your DVDs. It's the one series where I've actually made backups of all the DVDs because I'm afraid I'm wearing them down (especially when we did that episode a day thing and I posted screenshots of each episode, right before the new season started again).
I actually don't own the DVDs. I rented them all at one point for the commentaries, but there's very little reason to own them when they were all on TV in original condition.

That appears to no longer be the case. :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Coleman posted:

I actually don't own the DVDs.

Neither do I...well, I have the movies...but I've had seasons 1-4 stolen from me twice. Having to buy them a third time is "eh."

Although I should see if that Bender Head one with all of them is still for sale...

Yes it is!

Now if I could afford it...if only I wasn't so desperately poor...:zoid: :smith:

Coleman
May 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Neither do I...well, I have the movies...but I've had seasons 1-4 stolen from me twice. Having to buy them a third time is "eh."

Although I should see if that Bender Head one with all of them is still for sale...

Yes it is!

Now if I could afford it...if only I wasn't so desperately poor...:zoid: :smith:
Two DVDs for the price of one? Now if you could only afford the one... and a DVD player...

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Coleman posted:

I actually don't own the DVDs. I rented them all at one point for the commentaries, but there's very little reason to own them when they were all on TV in original condition.

That appears to no longer be the case. :(

Being able to listen to Mat and David swear that there's no such instrument as Boo-bams 100 times in a row is absolutely a very big reason to own the DVDs.

EDIT: There's also the first ever shot of a Killbot with its kill limit at 0000 then Zap Brannigan (whose THE Zap Brannigan?) restarts it. As far as I know, they never show the killbots again until the movies (please correct me if I'm wrong)

That deleted scene from the 1st DVD is so funny to me and it adds a whole lot to all the "wave after wave of my own men at them" jokes.

"Also, I heard you defeated a horde of somethings in the something something system!"

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 13, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Actually most Doctors are considered wealthy....

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hazo posted:

If they're going to do this, they should go back and fix the Pat Buchanan joke in the 80s Guy episode. That was painfully bad even when it was timely.

quote:

EDIT: There's also the first ever shot of a Killbot with its kill limit at 0000 then Zap Brannigan (whose THE Zap Brannigan?) restarts it. As far as I know, they never show the killbots again until the movies (please correct me if I'm wrong)

The kill limit is maxed out at 9999 and Bender (not Zapp) resets it to 0000 :eng101:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 13, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerusalem posted:

Actually most Doctors are considered wealthy....

What! When did this happen? You're joking, right? That's not funny! :supaburn:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

What! When did this happen? You're joking, right? That's not funny! :supaburn:

My name's not Slick.

It's Zoidberg.

JOHN F*CKING ZOIDBERG.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.

Alter Ego posted:

My name's not Slick.

It's Zoidberg.

JOHN F*CKING ZOIDBERG.

Now it's time for MY song!! When I was two, there was a tidal wave...

[credits]

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

kangal posted:

Now it's time for MY song!! When I was two, there was a tidal wave...

[credits]

:smith:

And Kangal. Who needs courage when you've got... A GUN!

• Locked thread