Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Peter Bourjos is not a fielding god. I am angry. :mad:
Thank you for not mentioning that game we may or may not have played in the PM cycle today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Devo posted:

Art, gimme a rundown of that Aaron team you're giving up. How screwed is the farm system and how bad is future payroll?

Aaron is a very unbalanced world. I had a much better team in there that I got from nasboat and I still left.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Scrotos posted:

Aaron is a very unbalanced world. I had a much better team in there that I got from nasboat and I still left.

This was my problem with Schmidt and why I'm not renewing that world. There's been some definite trade raping going on at the top and some bad owners at the bottom.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Devo posted:

This was my problem with Schmidt and why I'm not renewing that world. There's been some definite trade raping going on at the top and some bad owners at the bottom.

Yea Moredcai is spoiling me. It is such a balanced world.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Ivan Drago posted:

Thank you for not mentioning that game we may or may not have played in the PM cycle today!

Now you can kindly not mention the 8th inning of our PM2.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I have no idea what puts 2011 Verlander over 1913 Walter Johnson by ERC#. Equal OAV#, Johnson has better K/9#, BB/9#, and HR/9#. And yet Verlander's ERC# is 1.42 while Johnson's is 1.47.

Just search the 2011 guys by ERA#, there are over 51 below 1.80 and 77 below 2.00. There's something seriously messed up going on.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Just search the 2011 guys by ERA#, there are over 51 below 1.80 and 77 below 2.00. There's something seriously messed up going on.

tzentmeyer, one of the devs, says that the numbers jive but I'm still skeptical. Here's the discussion http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=445326&TopicsTimeframe=30

And I assume you mean ERC# and not ERA#

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I meant ERC#, whoops.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

There is an adjustment to the ERC formula that's supposed to be made for ERC's under 2.2 I think, maybe under 2. I bet they aren't doing that.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Well, the thing is, their unadjusted ERCs appear to be way off, as I noted in the linked thread. Comparing ESPN's ERC numbers to WIS's going back through the years, they're very, very close to each other. This year they're waaaaay off.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

Art, gimme a rundown of that Aaron team you're giving up. How screwed is the farm system and how bad is future payroll?

There are a couple interesting players on the farm now, but otherwise it's pretty barren. The future payroll is going to suck unless you don't re-sign any of your free agents. A number of guys have taken huge hits in the offseason, and reduced what I thought would be 5 type A's into 1 type A. This team is on a downswing for sure.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

AlleyViper posted:

e4: holy poo poo Brett Lawrie has a 4.65 RRF :siren:

That is, by far, the best RRF at 3B in the sim.

What is RRF?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Relative range factor

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I've somehow made it to the 2nd round of rule V, despite having awful pitching. I get to play rbow, who has the best team in the league.

I'm going to lose in the 2nd round for the 3rd straight time in about 2 weeks. At least it's not to Pecota.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You better not waste this playoff win, Ivan :mad:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I like how we all proved tzentmeyer wrong hours ago and he hasn't acknowledged anything. Think the 2011 players are gonna need to be redone.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

I like how we all proved tzentmeyer wrong hours ago and he hasn't acknowledged anything. Think the 2011 players are gonna need to be redone.

Judging by his response times I wouldn't be shocked if he just hasn't seen it yet. The good news is that we at least did figure out what's wrong.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

You better not waste this playoff win, Ivan :mad:
I get a .500 team in the next round but my 100m team lost their series, so I think I'm pretty much mathematically eliminated by now. Also, I'm pretty much forced to use David Cone extensively and you've seen how well that worked out in our series.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Based on previous years, if you can get that team through the WS you'll have a good shot of making round 2. Obviously your margin of error is pretty small, though.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Lost game 7 of the WS :suicide:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Soo, when are we starting our next season now that we have 2011 players?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

toadee posted:

Im working on a special surprise too, hopefully done sometime next week. If all goes well, I can at least give goons a login to a php page where you can submit sql queries to a database filled with WiS spreadsheet data from open leagues, including splits, pitcher 2b/3b per 9, gb/fb info, etc!

So this is looking like maybe next week now. Had some weird issues with the db that I think was caused by some odd database corruption, anyhow, running the import now and its looking pretty good, I'll have to check data integrity later today when it gets in then make up some little page for us to interface with it next week.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

2011 pitchers have been updated.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I have somehow gone up 3-1 in the 2nd round of rule V against rbow. This is probably my worst team to (hopefully) make the world series.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

It makes me way too happy to see Lazerhawks and ligapelota out of a ToC after four updates.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I was up 3-1 in the LCS and of course I go on to lose the last 3 games. WiS really really hates me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

What in the world is wrong with this OL Vida Blue

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15826777&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15812474&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Sparky manages to get my starting pitcher ejected in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes as a hitter in one of the most important games of the WIS Championship.

I'm going to end up losing like 50 or 60 points to the leaders from these playoffs.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's Addie at 94% in game 7.

Even if I beat you I'm probably going to get trashed in the WS since Addie's gonna be running on fumes.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My rule V Giants keepers are McCovey, Kevin Mitchell, Bonds, Marichal, and Gaylord. That seems to be in line with past legs, but I think I may get some grief for not protecting Schmidt or Lincecum.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I may get some grief for not protecting Schmidt or Lincecum.

You absolutely should. Both could be top 5 picks. Gaylord could go the entire draft without being taken.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Why would you go Gaylord over Schmidt? Innings shouldn't be a concern, the Giants have a lot of guys who are good longmen/back-end starters that won't be picked, like Scott Garrelts and Atlee Hammaker.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Garrelts is actually one of the more common Giants picks in the 3rd round but that's beside the point.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Virgil Lewis (Gleeman World 1) is my pride and joy. 100 career homers and counting in his age 22 season.

.313/.395/.584 and 104 HR in 1,423 career ABs, .340/.430/.637 with 30 HR in 388 AB this season, his second full and third total.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Virgil Lewis (Gleeman World 1) is my pride and joy. 100 career homers and counting in his age 22 season.

I wish I could actually acquire some top-level talent in that world, our division is so winnable.

I tried to trade for a couple supplementary pieces before the deadline and everyone demanded Antonio Edwards for their average player.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I asked about two different mid-rotation Buffalo SPs and his initial ask was Lewis or Gentry both times.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Game 5 of the ToC with my S16 team, I've got 2004 Jason Schmidt going up against 1974 Steve Renko of all people :psyduck:

The sad thing is I'm going to get destroyed, there's like a voodoo curse on Schmidt in the ToC: http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15860208&pid=2&pbp=0&tf=12.95

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

The 120m WISC theme has become such a clusterfuck and is going to be a really bad league :|

• Locked thread