Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Jaysus posted:

Welp, haven't received the BAH.

I emailed my VA guy and am waiting for his response. Should I call the number you posted?

1-888-442-4551.

Same. I'm on the phone right now waiting. Have been for almost twenty minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Uh oh. I'm at 60% and haven't been reporting it.

Time for some time in 'Federal-Pound-Me-In-The-rear end-Prison'. :(

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Yeah, I haven't had been able to talk to anybody yet, because the poo poo has me on hold for about 40 minutes at a time and I have to go to class or go do something important. This poo poo sucks.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Jaysus posted:

Yeah, I haven't had been able to talk to anybody yet, because the poo poo has me on hold for about 40 minutes at a time and I have to go to class or go do something important. This poo poo sucks.

After talking to the VA rep, apparently my money didn't get authorized until the 29th, so I have 3-10 business days from that date to wait. It could be as late as the 12th.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So when I signed up I elected the Army College Fund and I signed a two year contract. I ended up serving over three years because of Stop-Loss. Will I receive the ACF at the 2 year or 3 year rate?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

SneakySnake posted:

So when I signed up I elected the Army College Fund and I signed a two year contract. I ended up serving over three years because of Stop-Loss. Will I receive the ACF at the 2 year or 3 year rate?

Someone else likely knows better than I do, but I am pretty sure it's dependent on time served, not necessarily time originally on your contract.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

The Air Force really sucks. They didn't tell the VA that I'm out yet, so I had to scan a copy of my DD214 and send it to them via Submit a Question. Hopefully the backpay comes pretty quick.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Mah monies posted:

An enrollment certification for the period(s) below has been submitted to the VA. 9/12/2011 to 12/3/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 9/12/2011 to 10/22/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 10/24/2011 to 12/3/2011 for Credit Hours: 0, Distance Hours: 4 This was submitted by a certifying official from the ITT TECHNICAL INSTITUTE - ONLINE on 9/30/2011. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

How does this work? I'm technically taking 12 credit hours in the semester, and I'm technically full time according to the school, but does the VA care? Am I going to get full BAH for the semester or partial since I'm only actually taking 8 credits at a time?

Also, please don't judge my choice of a lovely college.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SneakySnake posted:

You would get paid what your contract says. If they say 30k/2years, that's what you should get regardless of how much time you served over. Your reward for being stop lossed is a separate program.

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

How does this work? I'm technically taking 12 credit hours in the semester, and I'm technically full time according to the school, but does the VA care? Am I going to get full BAH for the semester or partial since I'm only actually taking 8 credits at a time?

Also, please don't judge my choice of a lovely college.

Uh, that gets kinda messy.

Basically, you are taking no more than 8CR at a time. Which would rate you at slightly less than 3/4 time. You have one 16 week session course and two eight weekers and they certified you correctly from what I can tell. The BAH for distance learning, full time, is $673.50 at the 100% rate. Being at 8/12 CR puts you at 66% which is then rounded to 70%. So your BAH would be $471.45.

The fact that you are enrolled in two accelerated courses in addition to a full duration course hosed you on BAH. If you wanted to get the full rate you would have to be enrolled for 12CR at the same time.

HOWEVER! There is a drop box on VA-ONCE when you certify people that splits it into Full, 3/4, Half, 1/4 or less than 1/4 time. In the summer sessions, we use this to give kids their full entitlement for 3CR because they are in class 12 hours a week (3x hours M/T/W/R) for one course, which meets full time requirements. If they checked you off as full time, you're good to go. If they didn't, you're 66%/70% for pay.

See? kinda messy.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
If I take a flexible short term class, will I still get full BAH for the rest of the quarter after that class is over? I'll have other classes going on, and I will actually still be meeting the full time credit requirement after that class is over. Just asking in case I like the fast pace and can do that for all my classes in the Spring.

Edit: Today is the 2nd drop date for non-payment and I went to talk to the VA rep but he was in a conference. His boss helped me and said he certified us himself (I did get an email to my student e-mail about it). He remembered my last name because it was weird that two people with the same uncommon last name were both using the GI Bill. They sent out an e-mail to all the vets that the school has temporary funding for GI Bill students! So my tuition will be paid and I can get a parking pass and an ID card now! Yay!

Sarah fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

If I take a flexible short term class, will I still get full BAH for the rest of the quarter after that class is over? I'll have other classes going on, and I will actually still be meeting the full time credit requirement after that class is over. Just asking in case I like the fast pace and can do that for all my classes in the Spring.

Edit: Today is the 2nd drop date for non-payment and I went to talk to the VA rep but he was in a conference. His boss helped me and said he certified us himself (I did get an email to my student e-mail about it). He remembered my last name because it was weird that two people with the same uncommon last name were both using the GI Bill. They sent out an e-mail to all the vets that the school has temporary funding for GI Bill students! So my tuition will be paid and I can get a parking pass and an ID card now! Yay!

If you take say, 9CR worth of 16 week classes and then take a 3CR 8 week course for the first half of the semester, you would be paid as full time for the first 8 weeks and then 70% (8/12=66%=70%) for the second half. If you took 6CR worth of 16 week classes, and then two 3CR classes for 8 weeks a piece that were weeks 1-8 and 9-16, you would be paid at 70% for the duration even if you took 12CR total over 16 weeks.

Also your school sounds terrible for vets.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The VA rep is terrible. He is new. When I say new, I mean he has only been in his position less than 6 months. I'm 99% sure I heard him say today that he only sent out the e-mail about funding to 25 vets, and the rest of them have no idea what is going on and WILL be dropped after no payment tonight.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

The VA rep is terrible. He is new. When I say new, I mean he has only been in his position less than 6 months. I'm 99% sure I heard him say today that he only sent out the e-mail about funding to 25 vets, and the rest of them have no idea what is going on and WILL be dropped after no payment tonight.

It's not like this is a hard job. Sure, juggling with several hundred vets and doing all the other associated tasks that come with it might be annoying, but it isn't exactly taxing the grey matter.

You should complain to the president of the university or at the very least, your dean of student affairs. And by 'you', I mean every vet at that place.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

How long does it usually take to get a response from "Submit a Question" on GI Bill's website?

I sent in my DD214 on there on the 4th and haven't heard anything except the original robot response.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jaysus posted:

How long does it usually take to get a response from "Submit a Question" on GI Bill's website?

I sent in my DD214 on there on the 4th and haven't heard anything except the original robot response.

3-4 business days.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I have the Army College Fund in my contract, $20k a year for three years after 36 months of active service.

I am going to go to school in Australia. How will that work?

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I know you've said once information is inputted into VA-ONCE, it takes around 1-2 weeks to receive anything. I'm assuming the email confirming receipt of enrollment information is just that, rather than saying information has been inputted. Can you give a rough timeframe of how long it takes between that confirmation being generated and information being inputted?

Or give me the answer I'd like and say "that means it has been inputted, enjoy your sweet cash in the next couple days!"

Edit: Ha, got a letter about an hour after I posted this telling me I'm getting 100% BAH and they've deposited my book stipend. So as soon as my tiny podunk bank gets around to it, I'm paid.

ItsNotAGirlName fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 12, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

thehumandignity posted:

I have the Army College Fund in my contract, $20k a year for three years after 36 months of active service.

I am going to go to school in Australia. How will that work?

Note that it is 'UP TO' 20k a year. You won't get that much. Exactly how much is borderline financial sorcery, all I can tell you is that it's less than 20k a year but probably around 11k.

Overseas schools are paid out as per outlined on the website. They pay the school up to $17,500 a year and your BAH is $1,347, which is the national average.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Question: I am filling out my VA Form 22-2990, it asks me if I am active duty, I say yes, it asks me if I am on terminal yet, I say no. Now I am wondering if the VA is going to think that I am going to be using my GI BIll while still active?
Is this something I need to worry about, should I put a comment in the additional comments box?
I put down my EAOS so hopefully they will figure it out

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

bengy81 posted:

Question: I am filling out my VA Form 22-2990, it asks me if I am active duty, I say yes, it asks me if I am on terminal yet, I say no. Now I am wondering if the VA is going to think that I am going to be using my GI BIll while still active?
Is this something I need to worry about, should I put a comment in the additional comments box?
I put down my EAOS so hopefully they will figure it out

They will but it's an easy fix. Nothing to worry about.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

When my VA rep puts me in for GI Bill stuff, will I get some sort of notification from the GI Bill?

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Jaysus posted:

When my VA rep puts me in for GI Bill stuff, will I get some sort of notification from the GI Bill?

I got an email when the VA received my enrollment information from my school, and then about two weeks later they sent me a letter saying what % I'm eligible for, how many months I have left, broke down exactly how much the VA is paying the school, showed what how much I'll be getting monthly for BAH and for how long, and told me they've sent me my book stipend. There was also a couple extra pages with information about the recent changes and about how to contact the VA and file appeals and whatnot.

So, yes, or at least you should.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

I got an email when the VA received my enrollment information from my school, and then about two weeks later they sent me a letter saying what % I'm eligible for, how many months I have left, broke down exactly how much the VA is paying the school, showed what how much I'll be getting monthly for BAH and for how long, and told me they've sent me my book stipend. There was also a couple extra pages with information about the recent changes and about how to contact the VA and file appeals and whatnot.

So, yes, or at least you should.

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Got my parking pass in the mail today that I was told I couldn't have. Logged onto student web services and the school has paid my tuition for me until the VA pays them. :) So now I can get a student ID card and all that jazz! And I don't have to keep worrying that I am going to be dropped every week!

Waited on hold for 30 minutes today to find out that my application was processed and mailed (never got it) so she is going to re-send the letter. She also said that for some reason after I was approved they never did a certificate for me. Which is what I have been waiting on. Handed the phone over to my husband after she got me straightened out and same thing for him.

Now hurry up and give me my money!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Hell, the best skill I received from the military was being proactive, at the verge of hounding, for benefits.

No one else is gonna do it, get yours while you can.:smug:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
It took 3-4 weeks before I got my letter (I did get an email saying it was being processed), and I received my first payment about 1-2 weeks after turning it into my school.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Vasudus posted:

Note that it is 'UP TO' 20k a year. You won't get that much. Exactly how much is borderline financial sorcery, all I can tell you is that it's less than 20k a year but probably around 11k.

Overseas schools are paid out as per outlined on the website. They pay the school up to $17,500 a year and your BAH is $1,347, which is the national average.

Well, poo poo.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
I'm now three months away from terminal, and 5 from my hard EAS. I've already applied to school, what do I need to start on to ensure I receive all payments on time. Also for a ten week summer schedule how many classes will I need to take to receive 100% entitlement?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mhachtx posted:

I'm now three months away from terminal, and 5 from my hard EAS. I've already applied to school, what do I need to start on to ensure I receive all payments on time. Also for a ten week summer schedule how many classes will I need to take to receive 100% entitlement?

Make sure that you apply for your benefits at gibill.va.gov. You will need the certificate of eligibility that this generates to start getting your poo poo.

Typically a 10 week class would require 3 credits, perhaps 4. The best way to figure this out is do some simple math:

You must be scheduled to attend at least 12 hours of class a week to be considered full time. In most accelerated cases, like summer sessions, you meet three lecture hours (which is actually 2.5 hours / 150 minutes) four times a week. 3x4=12. Some schools will meet 2hours/day 4 days a week but still count it the same. When in doubt, defer to your school's certifying official, but i'm 99% sure it's going to be 3 credits.

superseven
Feb 14, 2011
So I've still got a year to go before I EAS, but after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder about which route I'll have to take. It seems as that since I took 15 credits at a local CC here, in NC,(3.5gpa) that those credits will not transfer to a 4 year school in Texas.(TSU, UH, UTSA, where ever the gently caress I can get into) My question is, am I still eligible to apply as a transfer, or will I have to apply as a freshman? I never took the SAT/ACT and need was wondering if I would have to buy an online study guide :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

superseven posted:

So I've still got a year to go before I EAS, but after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder about which route I'll have to take. It seems as that since I took 15 credits at a local CC here, in NC,(3.5gpa) that those credits will not transfer to a 4 year school in Texas.(TSU, UH, UTSA, where ever the gently caress I can get into) My question is, am I still eligible to apply as a transfer, or will I have to apply as a freshman? I never took the SAT/ACT and need was wondering if I would have to buy an online study guide :(

You're still a transfer student. Also there is a high probability that your credits will come in under free electives if they aren't accepted directly into the program.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Got my letter in the mail today! And checked my bank account- two pending transactions. Half the book allowance and BAH for September and half October. I am so happy right now. I honestly was not expecting anything for months.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

This is hitting the bottom of the page, gotta get it back up top.

I need to go to a school where they don't wait until the last add/drop date for the GI Bill tuition payment. At the same time, it might be better for me because I get 2 big checks at different times. But I want it all NOW.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vasudus posted:

high probability that your credits will come in under free electives if they aren't accepted directly into the program.

I have actually never heard of this not happening (though I'm not an education facilitation professional like Vasudus). It's basically the only reason why it was acceptable for me to gently caress around taking poo poo like Intro to Psychology and Digital Home Technology Integration while I was still at community-level college. Bam, no more lower-division electives required, ever (I took more than just those two of course).

Sarah posted:

Got my letter in the mail today! And checked my bank account- two pending transactions. Half the book allowance and BAH for September and half October. I am so happy right now. I honestly was not expecting anything for months.

This is just about the most awesome feeling ever. Like I tell people who ask me about the GI bill, having Post-9/11 just barely makes having been in the military worth it.

Also, for content: I was checking out this VA work-study program and it's really not going to hurt me to put in an application. I do assume that I'm not going to be able to start it this semester, but I wanted to double-check to make sure; I can't find anything official which discusses mid-semester starts.

Oh, and how common is it for schools to pay you the difference between minimum wage (what VA workstudy pays) and whatever it is they pay their normal workstudy guys? Just if anyone knows/has an impression about this particular thing, it's not terribly important, income from workstudy would just be luxuries like drinking and video game money video game and weed money.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 24, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

I have actually never heard of this not happening (though I'm not an education facilitation professional like Vasudus). It's basically the only reason why it was acceptable for me to gently caress around taking poo poo like Intro to Psychology and Digital Home Technology Integration while I was still at community-level college. Bam, no more lower-division electives required, ever (I took more than just those two of course).

This is just about the most awesome feeling ever. Like I tell people who ask me about the GI bill, having Post-9/11 just barely makes having been in the military worth it.

Also, for content: I was checking out this VA work-study program and it's really not going to hurt me to put in an application. I do assume that I'm not going to be able to start it this semester, but I wanted to double-check to make sure; I can't find anything official which discusses mid-semester starts.

Oh, and how common is it for schools to pay you the difference between minimum wage (what VA workstudy pays) and whatever it is they pay their normal workstudy guys? Just if anyone knows/has an impression about this particular thing, it's not terribly important, income from workstudy would just be luxuries like drinking and video game money.

My office shares space with another, their student worker is paid ~9.00 an hour. We're paid 8.25 but it's tax free.

Schools are under no obligation to accept transfer credits technically. My school is a known bastard for transfer students, we have problems accepting credits from other schools inside our network. We also do not award credits for classes that we do not teach here. Had a navy ET get told by our registrar they could have gotten 18 credits worth of EE credits except we don't have an EE program here, so gently caress off. It depends on the school.

Work Study is for your certified time. If you're certified from 8/29 to 12/16, for example, you are eligible for that entire time. Assuming someone had a slot for you, there isn't anything stopping you from getting one halfway through the semester.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LonsomeSon posted:

Just if anyone knows/has an impression about this particular thing, it's not terribly important, income from workstudy would just be luxuries like drinking and video game money.

You mean weed money?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The college I'm attending would award me over 100 credits toward dental lab. That's really awesome, except I don't want to be a lab tech or have a degree in small business management. Counselor said that after I'm accepted into the dental hygiene program I can have my smart transcript re-evaluated for credits. But they won't award them specifically for that program unless I'm accepted.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Wondering something.

I'm in an internship right now, so though the school has December break off, I don't. I have to take one last class before I graduate. This class would put my internship into full time colelge credits. BUT, I don't want to take it over spring semester if I can get around it, I want to take it over the January break so I can just get it out of the way. Either way I'm taking the class, but is there any way to take it over the January break, but have it count towards credits for the entire semester? I can't see how either the school or the DVA would care since the same class is being taken and paid for, it just makes it a hell of a lot more convenient to me if I can take it over Jterm rather than the entire semester.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

King of Spit posted:

Wondering something.

I'm in an internship right now, so though the school has December break off, I don't. I have to take one last class before I graduate. This class would put my internship into full time colelge credits. BUT, I don't want to take it over spring semester if I can get around it, I want to take it over the January break so I can just get it out of the way. Either way I'm taking the class, but is there any way to take it over the January break, but have it count towards credits for the entire semester? I can't see how either the school or the DVA would care since the same class is being taken and paid for, it just makes it a hell of a lot more convenient to me if I can take it over Jterm rather than the entire semester.

You should be able to, yeah. Just be aware that during accelerated periods (such as winter break) most colleges bill out on a part time schedule. You might be pulling >12 hours a week in that internship, and thus qualify for full time BAH, but you might not be billed out the same with the school. I had a friend of mine take an internship over a summer session and had to crank out 150 hours of internship time in 5 weeks, but the school was only billed out for 3 credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Love is Packed in Cylinders and Smells Like Ammonium Nitrate.

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Found this:

http://www.military.com/education/content/gi-bill/vocational-rehabilitation-and-employment-vre.html

So that's one answer. Now I get to go on the enjoyable quest of finding out whether I get the full rate or a percentage of that since I had three years applied to SLRP.

Realistically, I expect the government to say, "Sure! You'll get the full rate!", only to get a letter in the mail next summer saying I was overpaid and they're going to rape my bank account.

Any word on how this affects Reserve/Guard VRE guys who have been paid at less than 100% BAH for Post 9/11 or less than 100% of the MGI Bill through REAP? That is you were in the Reserve/Guard, on Voc Rehab, eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill at some percentage under 100% and opt to collect BAH in lieu of the subsistence allowance offered by VRE. I have heard that regardless of your eligibility you are payable at 100% BAH if you are on VRE and that as long as you have 1 day of eligibility left on record you can be paid that BAH for as long as your VRE case officer extends your plan. For example if you served fifteen days shy of one year on mob/deployment to Iraq and you were payable at 40% REAP and 40% BAH on Post 9/11 and you had used up all your 48 months of eligibility except for one day, you could apply for a certificate of eligibility through VONAPP and you would be able to collect BAH at the location of your school at 100% of the E-5 rate, (apparently with dependents for some reason as I've been informed) for as long as it takes you to reach your education goal, be it one week or 15 years.

IED enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 26, 2011

• Locked thread