Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't train to beat white belts, train to beat black belts, right?

What's RWSD?

Real world self defense. In other words... if someone tried to choke you like that in a bar fight, maybe it'd prevent the choke. If the guy trying to choke you had one proper class in how to apply that choke... I don't see it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Kumo Jr. posted:

Real world self defense. In other words... if someone tried to choke you like that in a bar fight, maybe it'd prevent the choke. If the guy trying to choke you had one proper class in how to apply that choke... I don't see it working.

In what world would an untrained person know how to catch you in a lapel choke from the bottom. Certainly not "The Real World".

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

fawker posted:

In what world would an untrained person know how to catch you in a lapel choke from the bottom. Certainly not "The Real World".

A world where people wear jackets with collars that can be grabbed? I think an untrained person who doesn't know what a lapel choke is might still grab a person by the collar of a coat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't forget his sick collar choke defence!
http://youtu.be/Ucg9K97VEkQ

Is this gi made out of satin? It's got such a bizarre sheen to it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So what do I do with that big hematoma I've got on my shin?

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is this gi made out of satin? It's got such a bizarre sheen to it.

Who cares about the gi? Look at that belt, I would unironically wear that belt all the time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
that choke defense "works" but only if you are much stronger than your opponent, who is a white belt.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

kimbo305 posted:

Don't have to apologize to me. He looks more effective in other videos. I'm just trying to find any demonstrations of CMA techniques outside of katas and drills.
I think this is actually a good one. More along the lines of teaching than sparring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBBhVLbDgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

This might be something more along the lines of what you're referring to. I do not know the name of this particular show. I think the rules are striking is allowed, but no hits to the face and the contestants wear some protection for their ribs undearneath their outfit. Also throwing the guy down or out of the ring are considered 'wins':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVvk52Wbd0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVvk52Wbd0&feature=related

Videos of Shui Jao:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8r2C5EvEc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvqA22izys&feature=related

fawker posted:

Lapel choke, maybe not. However I have heard a couple of second hand accounts from a police officer how some other officers (with little grappling experience)have almost gotten caught in a triangle choke, from a suspect who had no formal training. Take it for what it's worth.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 12, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

IIRC that's semi-correct, but it's only a stall. It can give you time to do something about it, but you cant just push through the choke like that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

I haven't gotten super mad, just defensive. I read the entire thread and it's been full of open-minded people having great discussions and being very accepting of each other. I wrote up a brief synopsis of my experiences so far, and I got the exact opposite treatment I expected. Instead of being welcomed into the discussion they've done nothing but bitch about whether guys I've trained with are real martial artists. If I had known that being transparent about my level of experience would induce such a competition of cock-wagging I probably wouldn't have bothered posting at all.

You've got us all wrong. This thread is for:

1. posting videos where bas rutten says things
2. posting videos where genki sudo dances
3. the two judo guys arguing about what is good judo

Kumo Jr. posted:

I just think there are evolutions that have occurred in mma over the last few decades, and there will come another striking evolution when the top athletes in the world start to showcase some unusual skill sets supplementing into a game that must already be pretty good to get to that highest level.

see: jon jones vs rampage jackson

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Lyoto Machida was pretty hard for people to deal with too.

Also if that had gone to Round 5 Rampage probably would've pulled it off.

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 12, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

see: jon jones vs rampage jackson

I look forward to top fighters starting to train "reach"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

C'mon, those front-knee-kick things were pretty cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lemme go back to what I was talking about earlier. Everyone who's read this and the past thread closely knows I'm always on a CMA trip. I find their history and diversity interesting, and I believe they're not as well understood as karate or TKD in the US.

The point I was making previously was mainly that it would be nice if any CMA had any serious schools where traditional techniques might be worked on to be made viable. Obviously there aren't many, which leads to a justifiable malignment of CMA in general. The only real remnants left of CMA techniques are those that are alive-tested in shuaijiao (like linked above) and sanshou.

This is a sanshou/shuaijiao catch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMVPc95Tdq0

It's strictly a demo, which is what I was trying to avoid earlier, since it's hard to judge whether that would work for real. But having been tossed by that technique by my coach (Marvin Perry) several times, I know it works. It's not magic. You have to hold the leg tight or they can pull it back. You have to really haul it back and get them hopping forward or else they can really throw their weight into a counter punch. If you don't do that big circle before the release, they're not going to get thrown.

The obvious question -- why go for that throw when there's countless other techniques that are just as good in the same situation? Well, I think that's what style pretty much is. Of the available actions you can take, you have a preference for some over others. A personal style is what _you_ like doing. A martial arts style is what is broadly taught to you, emphasizing some moves and omitting others. A lot of stuff can work as long as you are taught it and perfect it in a live setting.

Of all the possible things that can be done under MMA rules, not every school or gym knows every technique and is teaching it. Still, the variety of things that people are learning or making work is always expanding, which is good.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

C'mon, those front-knee-kick things were pretty cool.

Yeah that's muay thai. For all the discussion of Jones "crazy" technique, it's just traditional muay thai done by a big guy with freakish reach. It just turns out a lot of mma guys actually suck at muay thai, same with boxing.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I had a great night at jiu-jitsu tonight after not being able to make it to the dojo for close to two weeks. We started the class after warming up with drilling technique on five chokes: two collar chokes from top position, the darce choke, the ninja choke (no arm darce, almost like a power guillotine but from the side), and the japanese necktie (we also used this as a setup to get the head in the right position for the darce).

Then we started free-rolling. I tend to be successful against all the white belts, and against the blue belts that are around my weight or less. The blue belts that are bigger than me and the ones that are getting ready for purple tend to win most rolls against me.

First I was paired with a white belt that was about 30 pounds heavier than me, and I was able to attack with a few straight arm bars from guard, then some eddie bravo stuff with a rubber guard > zombie the arm to new york > crackhead control > omoplata > and almost back to gogoplata but the timer expired. I wasn't able to get a tap in any of these positions. So I usually regard being on the bottom without any success as a failure. I guess it's just a byproduct of mma training, but I always consider being on the bottom to be an inferior position and probably losing the fight unless I can find a submission.

Next I paired up with a blue belt that was about 20 pounds heavier than me. I'd seen him at the dojo, but I don't think we had ever free-rolled before today. We started with him passing my guard looking for side control, but I managed to catch a half guard which I slipped into the lock down position (figure four wrapping the leg). Then I recovered back to a full guard. I sat up into the scissor sweep position placing my left knee across his belly, and my hands on his collar and sleeve. I like to kick-push out my opponents knee to setup the sweep, so I did but this only works if they're on their knees. It won't work if they're based up on their toes, but it's a handy trick to have because it makes the sweep effortless.

I got into side control and looked for some of the chokes we worked on today, but couldn't find anything. So I pinned down the arm on the near side and stepped over the head. I like to look for a reverse triangle from mount, or use it as a pin to work armlocks on the far side. I couldn't land anything, so I sat him up and popped in some hooks to back control. I tried for a couple rear collar chokes, and then tried pulling up on his forehead to get an arm around his neck. Nothing there either. So I clasped my hands into a seat-belt grip around my opponents head and arm, and pulled it up so that I could thread my left leg over his shoulder and into a reverse triangle around the head and arm that I'm clasping. I've had trouble getting taps from the reverse triangle position, but it's good for control and I sometimes find success getting armlocks there. He was dropping his shoulder to create space and relieve some of the pressure on his neck, so I started to use my seat belt grip control to pull his arm and shoulder up to take away space and tighten my triangle. I still couldn't quite get a tap, so I used my forearm and elbow to pry in behind his head forcing it down until I got my tap. My opponent was really cool and happy for me. I got a good jiu-jitsu stoke to finish off a great class.

Does anyone have any techniques that work to get taps from the reverse triangle position?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

KingColliwog posted:

So what do I do with that big hematoma I've got on my shin?
Stop kicking poo poo with it for a while.
I got mine to heal quick by forgetting about kicks for a while, and wearing a shinguard when grappling.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

gunblade posted:

Here's one. It's hilarious.

http://youtu.be/XcWEJwXG2nM

Haha! Agree with kimbo305, everyone check this out.

#1 The Praying Mantis guy has a better stance, crouched forward and hands up! Like a praying mantis. Also almost like you'd tell a striker to stand. Yet it looks like he only throws straight punches by accident, so his game could use some tuning. It's almost as if common sense is trying to overcome his training but he is very insistent on fighting nature and using his art to paw the air ineffectually, unfortunately because...

#2 The other guy who practices Leaning Back Fu would confuse the gently caress out of me in sparring. But holding your chin up, having both of your hands open and leaning back when attacking can only result on getting punched in the jaw repeatedly... or would it? As we can see no! The Praying Mantis is completely unable to counter the insidious defense.

I also watched almost the entire 10 minutes and was late for work because of that.

Someone please kick me in the head...

Illegal Username posted:

TV program possibly featuring both you and me, but probably not

Yep it's airing today and looks like it's going to be pretty short as there's a ton of other subjects.

Anyway the program information tells us the topic is "Bussinkuljettaja kamppailu-urheilijan uhrina", more or less "Bus driver a victim of a martial artist". gently caress me. You don't call a 18 year old kid who stopped doing anything martial arts related when 16 a goddamn martial artist.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 12, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

That shoulder check in the video could totally work. I do it all the time in kickboxing. When they close you stand and brace and duck their strikes like you would anytime. Except you let them come forward unto your shoulder and you basically squat them up with force at an angle. I don't know if I describe it well. It's also something I've only succesfully done in sparring, I haven't tried it in an MMA fight yet. It is like a shot without you grabbing the other guy basically, just slamming him with your bodyweight. But make sure you lift him just an inch of the floor with your shoulder

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Jerome Louis posted:

Yeah that's muay thai. For all the discussion of Jones "crazy" technique, it's just traditional muay thai done by a big guy with freakish reach. It just turns out a lot of mma guys actually suck at muay thai, same with boxing.

I remember someone saying that the barrier to entry in the UFC was that you didn't have any obvious deficiencies (ie. UFC 1 style strikers with no grappling experience, grapplers that can't take someone down) and you have to be tough. Most UFC wrestlers would lose to any Olympic contender, the strikers wouldn't be winning professional boxing matches etc. That's one of the reasons Anderson Silva is so amazing, he's actually a legitimately good boxer, muay thai fighter and IIRC he's a BJJ black belt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

NovemberMike posted:

I remember someone saying that the barrier to entry in the UFC was that you didn't have any obvious deficiencies (ie. UFC 1 style strikers with no grappling experience, grapplers that can't take someone down) and you have to be tough. Most UFC wrestlers would lose to any Olympic contender, the strikers wouldn't be winning professional boxing matches etc. That's one of the reasons Anderson Silva is so amazing, he's actually a legitimately good boxer, muay thai fighter and IIRC he's a BJJ black belt.

Bad at wrestling though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

NovemberMike posted:

legitimately good boxer

I love Anderson but no.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
When you make any of these cool looking martial arts 'work' they end up looking like the styles that are already functional. It's no accident that Muay Thai and boxing look very similar, or that Judo, Bjj and wrestling have many almost interchangeable moves. Didn't Bruce Lee say something about there being only human body, so there is only one martial art?

I do think there are some things in those Chinese styles people could look at. One example: MMA allows you to grip and trap people's hands, something boxing hasn't allowed for a hundred years, but those Wing Chun dudes are obsessed with it. Someday, someone will take those techniques, boil them down, integrate them into a MT or Kickboxing base, and make some highlight reels.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Bad at wrestling though

He's not perfect, but he's good enough at BJJ that taking him down isn't necessarily a sure thing. Hasn't there been a fight or two where somebody just pounded on Silva for awhile on the ground and then he got a submission and won? I don't keep track of stats so I might be wrong.

quote:

I love Anderson but no.

He isn't Muhammad Ali, but everything I've heard put him as being on the same level as lower tier professional boxers.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Silva submitted Chael Sonnen which is about as impressive as leg kicking Rampage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

NovemberMike posted:

He isn't Muhammad Ali, but everything I've heard put him as being on the same level as lower tier professional boxers.

Hahahhaha nooooooooooooooooooo. Well I mean how low a tier are we talking

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

Silva submitted Chael Sonnen which is about as impressive as leg kicking Rampage.
Don't forget Travis Lutter.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hahahhaha nooooooooooooooooooo. Well I mean how low a tier are we talking
I watched the Anderson Silva Boxing for MMA dvd and the last hour is Anderson training at Wild Card gym being coached by Freddie Roach and sparring with one of his guys. Anderson is fast, and he throws better combos, but there are definite openings in his game that a pro boxer would exploit. Every time he leans back to evade a punch he gets drilled with a secondary uppercut. I'm sure having the ability to learn first-hand from a guy like Freddie Roach is probably closing the gap, and increasing Anderson's well-roundedness.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Kumo Jr. posted:

Don't forget Travis Lutter.

IIRC he hosed him up standing/clinching and then the sub was more of an elbowing than an actual sub.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Ligur did you show up on 45 minuuttia?

I haven't watched it yet but judging by the fact that my facebook just loving exploded i did and it wasn't exactly rosy. :mad:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sorry for you guys. My coach was interviewed recently because some local physicians were publicly calling for a ban on youth boxing :(

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I'm looking for a BJJ gym in N. Austin, TX. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Vandry's BJJ and Gracie Barra, based mostly on reputation. Are there any additional resources (online) I can use to help me make my decision besides just going in, taking a class, meeting the instructors and inquiring about rates?

Are there any Austin goons that have an opinion one way or another... maybe you go to one of these places or used to train at one of these places?

I'm a beginner. I have no experience in BJJ. Also, I'm in my early 30's and don't want to deal with any egos or tough guys. I just want to have fun, get in shape, and learn some self defense in the process.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Illegal Username posted:

I haven't watched it yet but judging by the fact that my facebook just loving exploded i did and it wasn't exactly rosy. :mad:

Is this video available in English? Since you guys have been talking about it I'm interested.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
How often do you guys train, like per week? I (complete noob) am thinking of going to my muay thai gym 3 or 4 times per week- is that too much? Too little?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

How often do you guys train, like per week? I (complete noob) am thinking of going to my muay thai gym 3 or 4 times per week- is that too much? Too little?

2 times a week for 2 hours at a time. It depends on how long your sessions at the gym are, but 3-4 isn't too much.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

henkman posted:

2 times a week for 2 hours at a time. It depends on how long your sessions at the gym are, but 3-4 isn't too much.

They're one hour, but back-to-back, so I could conceivably stay for two hours.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

henkman posted:

In perspective, top level pros and amateurs in jiu-jitsu often train multiple times a day. 3-4 times isn't too much. You might find it to be excessive if you try to lift or run on your off days, but it doesn't take long to build up some stamina.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

showbiz_liz posted:

Ramp up into it. If you feel spectacularly worn down or bruised up, take a day off. But if you feel good, just do it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

Nah it was all good, thumbs up. Me, no, but a bunch of people I know did and also our club to the tune of "AND HERE'S HOW IT ALL STARTED" after which they zoomed to the door outside.

Thanks, journalist integrity programmers. The club got fanmail yesterday for that zoom. "Fanmail".

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
yeah go slow at first. Your body will get used to taking abuse, but it will take time for it to get used to it, even if you've been out of it.

I currently train 1-2 times a day 5-6 days a week. but I'm trying to get back into training 2 times a day for 5-6 days a week. Once your body can take it, it's good. But it's hard to get back into a routine like that. I've quit lifting now though, to make room for more jiujitsu/kickboxing.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

showbiz_liz posted:

Usually 5 times a week, for a little more then an hour or so a day. If I'm training for a fight, it's at least 2 1/2 a day, and usually run a little on the weekends.

That's just if I'm training MT. I try and get some jits in when I can, but that's another hour and a half on top of whatever I did, and it's hard to talk myself into that a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Professionals or serious amateurs train twice a day six times a week or so. I know quite a bit of people who only train once or twice a week to combat sitting at the office and it works for them.

Why I'm not doing any BJJ right now is because my body isn't at all used to grappling and it takes a lot out of me, and I train only to ward off the effects of being a computer nerd who is hunched over a keyboard so I don't have the motivation to condition myself to both serious grappling and stand-up. Also I want to learn gay leotard kickboxing so I had to make a choice, either grappling or striking (doing anything at all if you want to progress means at least twice a week but rather three times at least, preferably more). So three to six exercise days a week at the moment. If I started grappling again I would have to stop punching and kicking more than maybe once or twice a week to leave enough recovery time.

Everyone's probably heard about "listen to your body". When you feel stiff, tired and hurt and that feeling won't go away even when you've warmed up for a hour take a day or two off.

Like the guys said your body will eventually become used to it whatever you do.

• Locked thread