Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Martytoof posted:

I didn't know if they locked that sort of functionality out on real Macs, letting you multiboot MacOS in essence. I'm not sure why they would (or why you would really want to, on a real mac I guess), I just didn't know if it was possible :)

edit: Might be useful for testing dev releases.
Yes you can. I have a MB Pro at work that is running 10.6, 10.7 and Windows 7 on the one HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Neat. Thanks for the info guys :)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So the iCloud panel in System Preferences keeps telling me to MOVE MY MOBILEME ACCOUNT, but I've already done that? I can log into iCloud.com even.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

So the iCloud panel in System Preferences keeps telling me to MOVE MY MOBILEME ACCOUNT, but I've already done that? I can log into iCloud.com even.
What does it say when you open the MobileMe prefpane?

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Do I even need to store apps in iTunes on my Mac anymore? Can't I just delete all of them and call them down from the cloud to an iOS device whenever I want it?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What does it say when you open the MobileMe prefpane?

Well it says "Your MobileMe account has been upgraded to iCloud"

THEN a little pop down says "Unable to complete your move to iCloud because of an unexpected server error." Retrying goes nowhere :[

Like there's such a thing as an EXPECTED server error.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Arzy posted:

Do I even need to store apps in iTunes on my Mac anymore? Can't I just delete all of them and call them down from the cloud to an iOS device whenever I want it?
Sure.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AlternateAccount posted:

Well it says "Your MobileMe account has been upgraded to iCloud"

THEN a little pop down says "Unable to complete your move to iCloud because of an unexpected server error." Retrying goes nowhere :[

Like there's such a thing as an EXPECTED server error.

Looks like I had to accept the updated term and conditions... on my iPhone for this to work... -_-

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

Sure.

Saves like 60GB of HDD space. Never even occurred to me until I sat frustrated that my SSD was nearly full.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to AIM through iChat after the 10.7.2 update? It just keeps disconnecting me without any errors or anything. Nothing in the system log either.

Happened right after the upgrade, but I don't know if it's a coincidence.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone have a picture of the default icon layout on iOS5?

Like if you just wiped your device, upgraded to iOS5, and didn't install anything.

edit: wait is this the right thread

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to AIM through iChat after the 10.7.2 update? It just keeps disconnecting me without any errors or anything. Nothing in the system log either.

Behold children, one of the rarest of creatures to be found in the Apple jungle: an iChat user.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I noticed you can create three iCloud @me.com aliases. Is that three PERIOD, or can you create more than three distinct aliases, as long as you only have three at any given point?

I don't want to waste a possible alias just to try it out :(

edit: ok I decided to try it out by creating martytoof@, then deleting it and it went down from 3 to 2 then back to 3 after I deleted it.
There's some FAQ link on there that explains it all...I think it also said if you delete an alias the name is gone forever (you can disable an alias if you just don't want to receive anything there). So you didn't waste your own alias but you wasted that name, if that even matters to you.

Behold children, one of the rarest of creatures to be found in the Apple jungle: an iChat user.
And another appears!

It's not working here either.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yes, been happening the past few days to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's all I need :(

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Xenomorph posted:

Workgroup Manager still fails to connect to any of our servers since updating to 10.7 in July.

It fails to connect, always with this error:
An error of type -14910 occurred.

Googling for "An error of type 14910 occurred" gives me over a million results. FYI, Google interprets a minus sign as 'exclude documents with this word in it'. :downs:

Google says it looks like the clocks on the machines are out of sync, and Kerberos is unhappy about that. Try re-syncing the clocks and killing your Kerberos tickets.

It can't hurt to call support or file a bug with Apple.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I like iChat. I didn't have connection problems in 10.6, but 10.7 does sometimes. Usually I just have to tell it to log back in.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Sure.
If I delete all apps from my iTunes library, do I leave "Sync Apps" checked in iTunes? If I go to uncheck it, iTunes warns me that all the apps and their data will be deleted from the phone, which has me worried to pull the trigger.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SupahCoolX posted:

If I delete all apps from my iTunes library, do I leave "Sync Apps" checked in iTunes?
No. If you're gonna rely in the cloud for your Apps, then do not sync them with iTunes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can anybody help me understand what benefits the 'Pro' version of iOS 1Password offers over the regular version? The differences aren't immediately clear to me.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

No. If you're gonna rely in the cloud for your Apps, then do not sync them with iTunes.
Nope. I unchecked the box in iTunes, it started a sync, and deleted all my apps from my phone. Crap.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to delete photos from the photo stream yet?

I'm one of those people who takes a dozen photos of something then deletes 10 of them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to delete photos from the photo stream yet?

I'm one of those people who takes a dozen photos of something then deletes 10 of them.

No they haven't changed the service in the huge amount of time since it launched.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Actually you can:

1) log in at icloud.com
2) click on your name in the upper right
3) advanced -> reset photo stream

I found out earlier today. There's no individual deletion, but it's better than nothing.

How do you update from a developer version of 10.7.2 to the current version, though? I needed to snag it online to test active directory some time ago at work and I can't run the update, nor does it say I need to update the system.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Alright, here's a question.

I have an AppleID which contains all my App Store / iTunes purchase history as well as my general Apple account information. I've got a MobileMe account which I've had for a couple years and used for syncing/findmy and just migrated to iCloud.

Why are these two separate things? Why can't I combine them or at least associate an existing AppleID with my iCloud account?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just updated to iPhoto 9.2 but it wouldn't show up in Software Update, but rather I had to do it via the App Store. Does anyone know why some people are able to do it one way and others the other way? Or is there a setting I can do to have all App Store updates show up in Software Update?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

FamDav posted:

To the person who mentioned KeePassX, how well does it work with an iPhone? There's about 3 apps and they all seem iffy.

EDIT: Yeah 1Password is definitely price gouging, but when other options have poor interfaces across multiple platforms, what are you going to do :(.

PassDrop is what I use on my iPhone.

KeePass (Windows), KeePassX (Mac OS X), and PassDrop (iOS) all open my KeePass database file (protected with a 16-character passphrase) from my Dropbox share, so it's always in sync with all my devices and computers.

chimz posted:

Googling for "An error of type 14910 occurred" gives me over a million results. FYI, Google interprets a minus sign as 'exclude documents with this word in it'. :downs:

Google says it looks like the clocks on the machines are out of sync, and Kerberos is unhappy about that. Try re-syncing the clocks and killing your Kerberos tickets.

It can't hurt to call support or file a bug with Apple.

I put it in quotes, since it's an exact error message.

When I do NOT put in the minus sign:

quote:

No results found for "An error of type 14910 occurred".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

qbert posted:

I just updated to iPhoto 9.2 but it wouldn't show up in Software Update, but rather I had to do it via the App Store. Does anyone know why some people are able to do it one way and others the other way? Or is there a setting I can do to have all App Store updates show up in Software Update?
I'm pretty sure your update source depends on your installation source. If you installed from the App Store, you update through the App Store. Otherwise, updates will continue to come through Software Update. I believe this applies to Aperture, iLife, and iWork.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Saw elsewhere that the AIM thing is an SSL issue on AOL's side, see if disabling that works.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m having some trouble with my iPhoto Library.

Some of the pictures in it are no longer displayed, it displays these grey boxes instead:

When I click the image for the full view, I get this:

Oddly enough I’ve browsed the iPhoto Library manually and all of the "missing" pictures in the library exist in the Masters folder.

I rebuilt the Library a few weeks ago but it didn’t change anything.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2012

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm pretty sure your update source depends on your installation source. If you installed from the App Store, you update through the App Store. Otherwise, updates will continue to come through Software Update. I believe this applies to Aperture, iLife, and iWork.
This. I got iLife '11 on disc and my update came from Software Update, but if you have it in the App Store that's where you'll go.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Same here. :(

EDIT: Disabling SSL appears to fix the issue. Time to file bug reports!

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 13, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Same here. :(

EDIT: Disabling SSL appears to fix the issue. Time to file bug reports!

Oh thank god. I just installed Adium because I needed to talk to someone, but it is really ugly out of the box and installing themes makes it crash on my machine. It would be an amazing iChat replacement if I were somehow blind. Back to iChat for me!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Oh thank god. I just installed Adium because I needed to talk to someone, but it is really ugly out of the box and installing themes makes it crash on my machine. It would be an amazing iChat replacement if I were somehow blind. Back to iChat for me!
Assuming that resolves the issue for you, please file a bug report.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Assuming that resolves the issue for you, please file a bug report.

It did work. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure it's not a problem on AOL's servers but I'll file a report tomorrow afternoon.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar
iTunes failed to update for me, it crashed most of the way through then warned me I'd need to retry. I did then it failed the retry and booted me out of the install with an error saying my iphone or pad wouldn't be able to connect.
Now itunes will run, but it won't update because it says it's already 10.5. My question is what if anything will I loose or what hassle will I go through if I uninstall and reinstall itunes?

I'm worried because it will probably want to install ios5 as soon as I sync my iphone and i wont have any of my backups after reinstalling itunes. I'm pretty much just worried in general. I'd rather not have to re-setup my phone. Can anyone put my mind at least or at least give a little advice? :)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
What problem are you having now that makes you want to uninstall and reinstall? It sounds like you had a problem with the update but then it completed if you're running 10.5

Edit: Just back up your iTunes library if you're worried about losing stuff before you make more changes.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 13, 2011

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

CaptainCaveman posted:

What problem are you having now that makes you want to uninstall and reinstall? It sounds like you had a problem with the update but then it completed if you're running 10.5

Edit: Just back up your iTunes library if you're worried about losing stuff before you make more changes.

Well... You make a good point :) itunes crashed on me when the install tried to auto open it after giving me the failed error so I just assumed it was screwed. I've since used it to sync a new app so I suppose its working well enough anyway. Is there any more robust backup for my phone besides the one it does automatically when I sync? Also is export library under the file menu how I backup my library?

Thanks for the help, you've already put my mind at ease.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

It did work. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure it's not a problem on AOL's servers but I'll file a report tomorrow afternoon.
Found this with :google: and worked for me, sounds like AOL just switched stuff around:

Some MacRumors person posted:

You can leave SSL checked and change the server from api.oscar.aol.com to slogin.oscar.aol.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Sorry, but iChat owns. My boss was all like "ugh iChat" and then admitted he last used it in like Jaguar or Tiger. Now it's all he uses, because it plugs into most chat services (or at least the ones normal people use).