Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I assume GZDoom can be launched via Steam, so I can still have the IM UI?

Should be possible, but if you're launching via QLGZD, I'm not sure if the Steam overlay stuff will work.

I tend to play with it windowed at 1280 x 720, so it's not an issue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

Should be possible, but if you're launching via QLGZD, I'm not sure if the Steam overlay stuff will work.

I tend to play with it windowed at 1280 x 720, so it's not an issue though.

GZDoom works fine with the overlay, I usually launch it through Steam and have never had a problem.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

GZDoom works fine with the overlay, I usually launch it through Steam and have never had a problem.

But does it work if you launch it via Steam launching a third-party launcher?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

It works fine running it from Doomseeker so I don't see why it wouldn't.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone elses skulltag/doomseeker only showing like 10 servers after querying?

Looks like I might be getting a master server timeout. Anyone know how to fix?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

All you need from Steam is Doom2.WAD - just drop that into your GZDoom directory (get the latest build from here) and that'll do all the work for you. Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife also work, but Doom 2 is the requirement for most mods.
You shouldn't even need to do that. ZDoom is smart and powered by science, and should auto-detect your Steam installs of those games and use the WADs from that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

You shouldn't even need to do that. ZDoom is smart and powered by science, and should auto-detect your Steam installs of those games and use the WADs from that.

This is what it did for me. My posturing was unneeded it seems!

Incidentally I just shot an Imp in the groin and watched him scream and trash as his internal organs bled out of the gaping wound. I do enjoy this mod. :allears:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Incidentally I just shot an Imp in the groin and watched him scream and trash as his internal organs bled out of the gaping wound. I do enjoy this mod. :allears:

If you're berserk, you can grab enemies that are stunned like that and use them as shields/projectiles.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

420falloutstyleaimfortheeyes/groinallday.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

It does, yes, with ZDL-Sharp at least.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit beaten

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can confirm that the Steam overlay works with QLZD.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

If you're berserk, you can grab enemies that are stunned like that and use them as shields/projectiles.

Yes, yes I can. This is the best mod. gently caress, I would pay for Doom all over again if they did a remake like this. :black101:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Soon mate, soon they will say that the nailgun shouldnt be in quake because who actually shoots nails in wars and rocket jumping is not balanced enough :psyduck:

This is sad, they're youngsters that started to play FPS games with Halo and call of duty and know nothing about being a badass and plain fun. These are the people that just poo poo every real weapon video in youtube with their "videogame knowledge" or like this, puke nonsense on forums. :commissar:

It makes me happy that no matter how many rear end in a top hat "new generation" FPS people appear and play classics and try to poo poo them up with gun nerd stuff and trying to make things "more balanced", they'll never touch Quake 1 because of how unbalanced and unrealistic it is. A multiplayer game where an "unrealisitc" weapon (The Rocket Launcher) completely dominates the game would make them poo poo their pants and never play it again. :unsmith:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

closeted republican posted:

A multiplayer game where an "unrealisitc" weapon (The Rocket Launcher) completely dominates the game would make them poo poo their pants and never play it again. :unsmith:
Pff! Grenade spam is where the real 1337pwnbastardry lies. :D

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

It makes me happy that no matter how many rear end in a top hat "new generation" FPS people appear and play classics and try to poo poo them up with gun nerd stuff and trying to make things "more balanced", they'll never touch Quake 1 because of how unbalanced and unrealistic it is. A multiplayer game where an "unrealisitc" weapon (The Rocket Launcher) completely dominates the game would make them poo poo their pants and never play it again. :unsmith:

Part of the reason I've laid so much gushing praise on Brutal Doom is that it actually improves the balance of the Doom weapons in really logical and carefully tested ways. Doubt you could much change it from how it already works without breaking something badly. Only tweak I'd make would be having the chaingun spin-up altfire automatically cancel if you try to move.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tippis posted:

I should send those guys my old DeHackEd patch where the BFG was rapid-fire and did not consume ammo; where the plasma cannon created a slow-moving wall of death; where the chaingun fired so fast that it would “overheat” (euphemism for drop frames, so it failed to fire after a while); where the rockets didn't move and instead acted as sneaky sneaky air mines; and where the double shotgun fired so fast and has such a spread that a Cyber Demon died in half a second if it was standing within 10' or so, but where even the lowliest zombie soldier would survive forever at 20'… :D

That was a challenging mod to play with.

Sounds a bit like The Blessed Engine.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sky_May_Be#The_Blessed_Engine

Now THERE's a hosed up mod for ya :v:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8078

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm running Brutal Doom with GZDoom but for some reason I've got no hud/status bar

Is this normal or is there some weird setting to get it back?

Running 1920x1080 open gl mode, if that makes any difference.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KozmoNaut posted:

Ha! Brilliant.

Yeah, I really have to dig that old mod out. My worry is that it's stored on some 1st-gen home-toasted CD from '96 which will probably have disintegrated by now…

:gonk:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll never get tired of this educational video by Sky May Be/Blessed Engine's creator. I wish every iteration of DOOM came with suicidal barrels.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

I'll never get tired of this educational video by Sky May Be/Blessed Engine's creator. I wish every iteration of DOOM came with suicidal barrels.

Dude has an amazing radio voice, which makes his utterly goofball sense of humor and penchant for breaking games horribly all the funnier, really.

If I remember right, he was one of the folks behind the infamous 'Deus Ex: Sunglasses At Night' unwalkthrough, too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He really sounds like he'd be right at home in a BBC educational video from the 1980s.

I could listen to him all day.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Can someone host an Unreal Tournament server for this weekend? I'd like to make an event. Or, we can just coop Brutal Doom.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Or, we can just coop Brutal Doom.

Here's a post from me saying gently caress yes to this idea. :hfive:

I've never even tried it in Skulltag co-op. It does work right?

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I've never even tried it in Skulltag co-op. It does work right?

Should work fine. Might mess with Invasion mode, but any normal campaign should be totally fine.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've played on Brutal Doom servers, and it does work just fine. Wish I could get my doomseeker working.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Dude has an amazing radio voice, which makes his utterly goofball sense of humor and penchant for breaking games horribly all the funnier, really.

If I remember right, he was one of the folks behind the infamous 'Deus Ex: Sunglasses At Night' unwalkthrough, too.

He is, along with the Hacker's Guide to Sin and similar anti-walkthroughs for Arx Fatalis, several of the Ultima games, and others; his website is here.

The Blessed Engine is not his only Doom-related thing, but it's probably the most interesting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

He is, along with the Hacker's Guide to Sin and similar anti-walkthroughs for Arx Fatalis, several of the Ultima games, and others; his website is here.

Holy poo poo, he did another as recently as August? Dude has been making me laugh on the internet for a great many years now, and I can only read his stuff in his voice now, which somehow makes it funnier.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kazvall posted:

Can someone host an Unreal Tournament server for this weekend? I'd like to make an event. Or, we can just coop Brutal Doom.

Down for either of these. I was out of town last Sunday, so I missed the sweet, sweet HL mod action.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Doomguy is left handed. Fifteen years and I just noticed this. :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

poptart_fairy posted:

Doomguy is left handed. Fifteen years and I just noticed this. :psyduck:

He favors his left when punching, but otherwise holds a pistol and shotgun right-handed :confused:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

He favors his left when punching, but otherwise holds a pistol and shotgun right-handed :confused:

I only noticed this last year as well :stare:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
the plot thickens.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jerkstoresup posted:

the plot thickens.

Clearly this cover art is flipped and the original name was supposed to be, "Mood".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Convex posted:

I only noticed this last year as well :stare:

You're right. Kins swapped his pistol sprite. drat his right-handed bias! :argh:

:ssh: Or maybe id never thought twice about consistency whatsoever because that poo poo isn't important. He still holds the shotgun right-handed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

jerkstoresup posted:

the plot thickens.

When my Dad bought Ultimate Doom it came with this full size poster of that scene. Holy poo poo it was so badass I really wish I still had it :negative:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
His right hand is just busy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bollocks to you guys. South paws are a minority that don't get represented very often, so I choose to stand by my belief. :colbert:

On that note I found a fantastic PSX Doom wad, and other than being a little buggy in places - jesus christ was Doom really that dark on the Playstation - and some of the Doom 2 monsters not spawning as they did in Ultimate, it's a lot of fun and makes me feel really nervous poking about in the levels - the music and extra lighting/sound add so much. Then I just tear poo poo up in Brutal Doom and laugh maniacally.

Is there, however, a way to get the PSX levels and sounds through Brutal Doom? I've been looking around but not had much luck. For all I know it's technically impossible to combine these two things, but I really don't know much in that regard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there, however, a way to get the PSX levels and sounds through Brutal Doom? I've been looking around but not had much luck. For all I know it's technically impossible to combine these two things, but I really don't know much in that regard.

Should be doable, if you set the load-order in QLGZD so that Brutal Doom comes first, and then any PSX stuff comes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

Should be doable, if you set the load-order in QLGZD so that Brutal Doom comes first, and then any PSX stuff comes after.

:neckbeard: IT WORKS (if I start a new game after loading it) :neckbeard:

Oh god, thanks for that. I never would have thought of it myself! This is...wow, hahaha. It's my childhood springing back to life and is amazing. Now I just need to sort the horrific contrast between light and dark areas, then I'll be happy as a clam.