Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
As long as there isn't a lot of freeway involved the DRZ is the most fun thing I own. Only possible exception being the Beta, because trials bikes are their own kind of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm kind of leaning that way. I dont do a ton of highway riding, mostly in town and backroads. The highway riding I do isnt anything that cant be handled on a DRZ.

I want both, but its not feasible :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I do so little riding past 60mph that I honestly forgot what the DRZ felt like at the top of 5th gear. If anyone has one I'd really recommend the Acerbis front fender. Makes it WAY less floaty at speed and makes you look like a pro sumo racer while you back it in to arby's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

I do so little riding past 60mph that I honestly forgot what the DRZ felt like at the top of 5th gear. If anyone has one I'd really recommend the Acerbis front fender. Makes it WAY less floaty at speed and makes you look like a pro sumo racer while you back it in to arby's.

Well im sold!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The DRZ can do everything your bandit can, but the bandit can't do everything the DRZ can...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

The DRZ can do everything your bandit can, but the bandit can't do everything the DRZ can...

Buuuuuut, the DRZ doesnt make 120hp at the wheel :(

Which, I know, apples and oranges

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Buuuuuut, the DRZ doesnt make 120hp at the wheel :(

Which, I know, apples and oranges

Neither does the bandit (stock). Problem solved! :buddy:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I think with a nice seat on and some good luggage the drz could even do a decent highway commute. I keep thinking of swapping my 636 for one. It'd keep me from speeding and get double the mpg too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Neither does the bandit (stock). Problem solved! :buddy:

Mine does though :getin:

Such tough first world problems!!!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Gnaghi posted:

It'd keep me from speeding

Negatory

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Swap the bandit motor into the DRZ, problem solved.

e:No seriously please do this I want to see it so bad :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Gnaghi posted:

I think with a nice seat on and some good luggage the drz could even do a decent highway commute. I keep thinking of swapping my 636 for one. It'd keep me from speeding and get double the mpg too.

I filled up my DRZ today. 37 MPG.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

What's your wheelie modifier?

Cause I once got like 20mpg on mine thanks to the front wheel driven speedo.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

What's your wheelie modifier?

Cause I once got like 20mpg on mine thanks to the front wheel driven speedo.

Hahahah. I don't do many wheelies right now because of my shoulder, so that's 99% on the road.

434, FCR, Yoshi RS3, E base gasket, e cams.. Takes its toll. Also I think the slide needle is shot because I'm getting weird performance issues, so it may be really rich while cruising.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MrZig posted:

I'd be keeping mine stock since I have the husky for aggressive riding/trackdays. Browsing fuelly it looks like stockish ones get 54-60 on average. The only problem would be dealing with a carb on cold mornings.

invision posted:

Swap the bandit motor into the DRZ, problem solved.

e:No seriously please do this I want to see it so bad :(

With a combo like that one could literally loop the bike, as in flip all the way around and land on the tires again.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
How difficult is it to find a stock drz exhaust? I want to get one (a drz400sm), but I live in quebec and if I buy one in the states I need to have it inspected here, which means it must be 100% stock. Problem is, most dr-zs out there have after market exhausts.

ColonelMoutard fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It stands to reason that if most drz's have aftermarket exhaust, there must be stock exhausts out there that people are selling to recoup the costs of the aftermarket one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColonelMoutard posted:

How difficult is it to find a stock drz exhaust? I want to get one (a drz400sm), but I live in quebec and if I buy one in the states I need to have it inspected here, which means it must be 100% stock. Problem is, most dr-zs out there have after market exhausts.

Might be worth sending Synonamess Botch a PM. He bought my DRZ and I'm pretty sure a full stock exhaust was in the parts box.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

It stands to reason that if most drz's have aftermarket exhaust, there must be stock exhausts out there that people are selling to recoup the costs of the aftermarket one.

Shouldn't be that hard to find one. I think I've still got mine stashed in my garage somewhere, probably minus some fasteners though. Only issue being they weigh a ton, so probably better to try and find a local one rather than paying out the rear end for shipping.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are everyones thoughts on the state of supermoto in the US?

Seems to be the internet (thumpertalk, smj, etc) think its dying, or at least receding in popularity.

This is backed up by the fact that we arent getting some of our most popular supermotos anymore. The 690 isnt coming back this year in SM trim, nor is the DRZ apparently.

Is this a sign of things to come (or things that have already passed?), or simply a manufacturing shift or inventory thing?

Doesnt make me want a supermoto any less, just makes me wonder.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I think a big part of it is the fact there's just less new bikes being sold, period. Sumo was a niche in a product market of "toys" here in the US, the number sumos compared to overall bike sales was small to begin with... drop demand down and you see a lot of the smaller manufacturers saying screw it. Locally, I've seen more sumos around than ever. There's still interest out there, people just aren't buying as many bikes so poo poo isn't getting imported.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I think bike sales in general are down, and since supermoto is such a small market segment that its been hit really hard. Suzuki isn't bringing the DRZ back because they still have so many 2010s in stock and haven't changed anything. I had heard that about the 690, but I imagine its something similar.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Isn't Suzuki not doing anything with the DRZ because that would require them to update it (new emission regulations), and as we know, Suzuki will never update the DRZ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think they're still selling the DRZ S though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, then I don't know.

I think it's basically just the economy and supermoto is such a fringe, fair weather, toy kinda thing. They're not practical, they're not useful, they're just bucket loads of awesome and very few people have ever ridden one and understood.

I was intending on buying next generation of SMC or Duke before KTM made the call to pull their fun bikes out of the US market, now I'm looking at either putting my 250 dirt bike in SM trim and racing it next year or picking up a 450 SM bike just for the track.

It wont go away forever, but it will slow here for a while, until America gets interested. When KTM (+ Husaberg), Husky and Aprila can import more than a dozen of them into the states and hope to sell out.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Hey guys I just saw a 2002 Duke 2 for 2500 should I get it?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

bred posted:

Yep.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

bred posted:

Ride it first and see. Good price, you'll know if you want it after you ride it.

Are supermotos dying? Nah, they're just going through the same market contraction everything else is...there's just a lot less of them, so it seems more extreme.

The wife says that she just thinks they're finally reaching normal market value, for practicality vs. the other bikes available.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do agree with that, DRZ's are the lowest I've ever seen them around me.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I think they're still selling the DRZ S though.

They are. I got a set of brand new 2011 plastic from someone on Craigslist who bought a new S model and immediately swapped all the white plastic out for black.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I got it. It's the best. Pics tomorrow.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Here it is. The dude changed the oil and filters in front of me at no extra cost when I picked it up.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Looks pretty cool

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm curious, someone explain just how different the 400-690ish thumper supermotos are from the literbike twin SMs and alternately if there's really much difference between a literbike SM and a literbike naked other than the uncomfortably tall seat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bred posted:

Here it is. The dude changed the oil and filters in front of me at no extra cost when I picked it up.

Very cool, I always thought those were slick looking bikes. The styling still looks good almost 10 years on.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm curious, someone explain just how different the 400-690ish thumper supermotos are from the literbike twin SMs and alternately if there's really much difference between a literbike SM and a literbike naked other than the uncomfortably tall seat

The literbike twin SM's like the Hypermotard and such are much more like naked standards (Monster, FZ, Bandit, Hornet, etc) than they are like supermotos. In fact they are essentially standards with longer travel suspension, and as you mentioned, worse seats.

The 400-690 singles are much more like their dirtbike ancestors, and will feel more dirtbike-ish. They're much more flickable, will jump better, and will all around be truer to SM form.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
For all the supersport to supermoto converts out there, what is it about supermotos that makes them so much more fun than a literbike, etc? I see this comparison a lot around here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hayden. posted:

For all the supersport to supermoto converts out there, what is it about supermotos that makes them so much more fun than a literbike, etc? I see this comparison a lot around here.

Main thing I like is you can have a lot of fun without breaking speed limits and can go anywhere. A literbike is fun and fast as hell but where can you really stretch it's legs and enjoy? A SM is fun in a parking lot, construction site, a park, campus, a windy road, or anywhere else.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

hayden. posted:

I went from a 08 CBR1000 to a 06 625 SMC (then to a 690SMC :dance: ) so I guess I'm fit to answer this question...

The CBR was an absolutely outstanding bike. Completely reliable, comfortable for a sportbike, got decent fuel econ if you weren't constantly flogging the poo poo out of it at a track, smooth, decent brakes from the factory, etc etc etc. It never gave me a lick of trouble and I loving loved that bike.

Thing is... it's just too much. Everywhere, for any situation. Street, track, whatever. Even with how smooth the power came on there was just TOO MUCH. On the track it made me leery of getting on the throttle for a good drive out of corners, destroyed rear tires with reckless abandon (two days out of a rear :gonk: ), and all that power means you're going way the gently caress faster at the end of a straight so there's a survival instinct tendency to overbrake coming into corners.

The extra torque it provides down at reasonable revs made it a pleasure to ride on the street, but barely crack the throttle open and you're obliterating speed limits. I just didn't have the restraint to ride a literbike on the street because the power was always right there, tempting me. I never had any major "oh poo poo" moments on the street (other than a deer that tried to take me out!) but I did some crap I'm not proud of. It's just too tempting to roll on that throttle...

The 625 on the other hand... it's just plain goddamn fun. Amazingly capable bike and you can flog the piss out of it without breaking *too* many traffic laws... It just works better in town as well - upright seating position, sits tall enough to look over the top of most traffic, lots of torque and very punchy at lower speeds. Still a ton of fun on the track too! Boatloads of cornering clearance, great brakes, lightweight and flickable, enough power to have fun but not so much that it's a huge handful like a literbike.

It amazes me that a single bike with no modifications is perfectly happy commuting to work, at the track, playing in the dirt, jumping off poo poo, etc etc. Sumos are just great all around bikes. Honestly for me, a lot of it comes down to the ol' "it's more fun to ride a 'slow' bike fast than ride a fast bike slow".

Also wheelies.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How's the 690SMC on highways? It's the supermoto I've always looked at and will probably get one once I get supersports out of my system/go broke from tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

On any very twisty road, have a go at it on your favorite sport bike. Then, hop on a supermoto, and have another go.

The next bike you buy after that will be a supermoto.

• Locked thread