Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

every post in the MMA subforum is a troll.

This is a post modern sport: everything is poo poo. Nothing is true. We are just claws power doubling across the ocean floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
^ Branding in BJJ: Does Sex Sell?

http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/10/branding-in-bjj-what-works.html#more

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/10/14/mma-link-club-mmafighting/#comments

ho ho ho

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
"No other site even comes close to doing the amount of technical fight analysis and education that BE does. No one." - kid nate

:stare:

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.

fatherdog posted:

ho ho ho
I hate to use the term "tl;dr" but this deserves it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RevlisYdoc posted:

Snowden is trying to defend his "journalistic integrity" and kid nate is attempting to pissily defend bloody elbow in the comments. It is loads of laughs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
please note that "kid" nate is like 42

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
bump this thread every time Jonathan Snowden ducks criticism from fatherdog

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Bubba Smith posted:

bump this thread every time Jonathan Snowden ducks criticism from fatherdog

Man, I miss that thread. :(

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

RevlisYdoc posted:

Just do a CTRL+F for "fd" and then read the relevant post chains.

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.

Johnathan Snowden posted:

I’m not sure why I would need to “study” Helwani. I know how to shoot videos in a hallway after an event.
oooohh catfight meow
But why do I get the feeling he would still find a way to gently caress that up?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RevlisYdoc posted:

oooohh catfight meow
But why do I get the feeling he would still find a way to gently caress that up?

"Jonathan Snowden here with Frankie Edgar who almost got knocked out AGAIN by Gray Maynard..."

I really love it when people call Snowden on the Penn comments and he tries to weasel his way out of it. He spent a long time trying to argue his way out of it on Meltzer's board when he made them .

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't know if Snowden is just being defensive or he really is that dumb, but what Helwani does is a lot more involved than "shoot videos in a hallway after an event." I don't even like Helwani.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
He also suckles the tumescent wieners of members of Zuffa in order to keep from being banned from UFCs like literally every other journalist. So it's a pretty tough job and not one I'd want.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ariel Helwani seems like a decent interviewer, but he does seem to poo poo-stir a little. There was an interview with Chael right after the Wandy/Leben fight, where Helwani kept trying to get Chael to say something terrible, and all Chael could say was "I hope he's okay"
Then again, that is Chael, and if he wasn't saying something ridiculous, you'd wonder if you were interviewing the right person.

On topic, Andrew Siciliano says a bunch of dumb things, including that he is proud of the fact that he doesn't watch MMA, doesn't know who any of them are, yet calls it "garbage" in the same sentence.
http://www.mmamania.com/2011/10/11/2483210/could-this-be-a-precursor-to-a-heated-battle-between-the-nfl-and-the
I know that might seem a little :qq: of me. It's not that he doesn't like MMA, it's just that it's rare to hear someone both admit ignorance and cast criticism.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't know if Snowden is just being defensive or he really is that dumb, but what Helwani does is a lot more involved than "shoot videos in a hallway after an event." I don't even like Helwani.

Helwani's interviews are pretty vanilla but at least he is a fan of the sport, the fighters and not the sound of his own voice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think a big problem with MMA interviews in general is that there's really only so much you can ask a fighter. You can ask him what his plan is, who he's been training with, if he's changed anything to try and fix holes in his game, but not a lot else.

Plus, a lot of fighters aren't going to directly answer those questions because they don't want to give anything about their camp or gameplan away to their opponent.

It's not like a team sport where you can discuss player dynamics, the coaching staff, the weekly game, and so on in great detail.

A lot of these interviews come off as kind of dull because there's just not much to say. Dana White is way more interesting to talk to because he's always got something in the works, but that's because he's running a business. The fighters have very little to do with that.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
A couple years ago my girlfriend bought a book by Snowden with the best of intentions. Some interesting parts that got me into some fighters but I found many parts lacking. My question is what should I do with said book now. Burning seems too easy. I need some ideas.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BrianPhillips posted:

A couple years ago my girlfriend bought a book by Snowden with the best of intentions. Some interesting parts that got me into some fighters but I found many parts lacking. My question is what should I do with said book now. Burning seems too easy. I need some ideas.

Does it make any predictions about fighter careers? I'd send each prediction with the relevant Wiki article to Snowden.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

BrianPhillips posted:

Take some pics with your local mma fighters reading it in amazement.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Haraksha posted:

I think a big problem with MMA interviews in general is that there's really only so much you can ask a fighter. You can ask him what his plan is, who he's been training with, if he's changed anything to try and fix holes in his game, but not a lot else.

Plus, a lot of fighters aren't going to directly answer those questions because they don't want to give anything about their camp or gameplan away to their opponent.

It's not like a team sport where you can discuss player dynamics, the coaching staff, the weekly game, and so on in great detail.

A lot of these interviews come off as kind of dull because there's just not much to say. Dana White is way more interesting to talk to because he's always got something in the works, but that's because he's running a business. The fighters have very little to do with that.

I think another part of it too is that fighters aren't really that well trained to talk to the media, fair enough there was the summit etc but there's a huge gap between someone like Chael or Couture who've been he public eye for a while and someone like Rory McDonald.

I can imagine it wouldn't be easy to get a lot of coherent material out of some of these guys.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I think another part of it too is that fighters aren't really that well trained to talk to the media, fair enough there was the summit etc but there's a huge gap between someone like Chael or Couture who've been he public eye for a while and someone like Rory McDonald.

I can imagine it wouldn't be easy to get a lot of coherent material out of some of these guys.

Except for the Diaz's, who are somewhere in the sweet spot of that Venn Diagram.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Take some pics with your local mma fighters reading it in amazement.

Oh God, I'm 40 min away from the Diaz bros. I must do this.

e: In fact my gf goes to Stockton every Mon and Wed. I believe I could make this work.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A lot of these guys are really private too. Going back to the team thing, since this is not a team sport, they really only have to focus on themselves and their families. The whole atmosphere around MMA is different, so it probably feels like a big invasion of privacy whenever they get interviewed.

Remember, wrestling is probably the most common background for the majority of American fighters and wrestlers are hardly in the spotlight through high school and college, especially compared to football and basketball stars. There are fighters who have been training for a decade or more, but have probably said all of two words to the media on their way to the UFC.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Haraksha posted:

A lot of these guys are really private too. Going back to the team thing, since this is not a team sport, they really only have to focus on themselves and their families. The whole atmosphere around MMA is different, so it probably feels like a big invasion of privacy whenever they get interviewed.

Remember, wrestling is probably the most common background for the majority of American fighters and wrestlers are hardly in the spotlight through high school and college, especially compared to football and basketball stars. There are fighters who have been training for a decade or more, but have probably said all of two words to the media on their way to the UFC.

so is that why soccer is the best base for mma? because of the media?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

BrianPhillips posted:

Oh God, I'm 40 min away from the Diaz bros. I must do this.

e: In fact my gf goes to Stockton every Mon and Wed. I believe I could make this work.

http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/pics/handbook_teamquest_masterte.jpg

This was the inspiration.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I think one of the coolest things about MMA is if you want to be a Journalist all you have to do is find a fighter and yell a website and they'll talk to you if they have time, Good Luck doing that for non-fake sports.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

so is that why soccer is the best base for mma? because of the media?

If you're a Brazilian soccer star, I imagine you get a lot of media attention.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Helwani's interviews are pretty vanilla but at least he is a fan of the sport, the fighters and not the sound of his own voice.

Jordan Breen did a radio interview with Big Nog shortly after he signed with the UFC, he decided to ask questions in the manner of Jordan Breen and Nogueira had no idea what the gently caress he was being asked 100% of the time (if you discount "Rodrigo... how are you?" as a question)

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Hello, and welcome to Jordan Breen's Eternal Undergrad Power Hour. Today we'll be talking to some of the biggest names in the sport, and asking them about different online message boards for half an hour. Be sure to tune in later, when I explain sociology incorrectly over a weird, 12 minute story which I relate to why people keep emailing me pictures of human dicks with the heading "This is what you sound like".

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So if MMAFighting.com gets shut down what happens to Dan Herbertson?

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

I'm actually legitimately concerned for the future of Ben Fowlkes career because he can write entertaining MMA things without loving the facts OR sounding overly pedantic. If MMA Fighting closes, what is he going to do, go back to Cage Potato? Christ.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The following is my Round Scoring Graph to plot the ebb and flow of the action and how effective Marshall's offense was in relation to a 10-9 versus a 10-8 round.

Since Vera mounted no offense, the line never shifts in his favor. The distance the line travels is based on how effective each of Marshall's offensive maneuvers were.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My favourite part are the initials in the corner.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
dummy didn't even notice the holland kicks

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

attackmole posted:

My favourite part are the initials in the corner.

Fun fact: it's made by the same dude who was responsible for the Rick Story/Thiago Alves footwork graphic. When you produce high-quality work like that, it's important to make sure others don't try to claim credit for it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not watching MMA anymore, I want it all explained in graphs and bad diagrams.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not watching MMA anymore, I want it all explained in graphs and bad diagrams.

May I recommend: baseball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

colonel_korn posted:

Fun fact: it's made by the same dude who was responsible for the Rick Story/Thiago Alves footwork graphic. When you produce high-quality work like that, it's important to make sure others don't try to claim credit for it.

oh gently caress you for reminding me of this. also there's no way in hell this idiot's name is actually Dallas Winston.

• Locked thread