Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Law posted:

I saw these clips from a new show on youtube a couple of months ago. It was basically a British revived Whose Line is it Anyway. I remember it being pretty good, it even had Wayne Brady. Problem is I just can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Fast and Loose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I wear my jeans for a week at a time, but I'm just wearing them to work, changing into my work clothes, then putting them back on and going home. When I'm home I usually switch to shorts. Worn like that they can pretty much last indefinitely. If I wear them to go downtown or something and sweat a bit I only wear them once though, because until I wash them they just feel dirty.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
What Something Awful article/thread did this picture originate from? I remember it being hilarious in context but I've since forgotten what made it so funny, and I wanted to be reminded.

Edit: I found a better thread to ask this question in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 12, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benjamin Black posted:

What Something Awful article/thread did this picture originate from? I remember it being hilarious in context but I've since forgotten what made it so funny, and I wanted to be reminded.

It's a re-imagining of a really lovely MS-Paint picture. Like telhix.gif, but more nonsensical. I forget the thread, though.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Benjamin Black posted:

Edit: I found a better thread to ask this question in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257
It's amusing how many questions are here that would have better served in that thread. Which reminds me - I should report my previous post in the new YouTube thread in GBS.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hmm, maybe. I'm not sure if that's designed for two headsets, our if a headset plus mic would work too. I did find one on amazon that looks promising, but it was still more than I'd like to pay. This should be like a dollar in components, the one you posted costs more than the headset I want to use.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

stubblyhead posted:

Hmm, maybe. I'm not sure if that's designed for two headsets, our if a headset plus mic would work too. I did find one on amazon that looks promising, but it was still more than I'd like to pay. This should be like a dollar in components, the one you posted costs more than the headset I want to use.

You're right about that. Looking at schematics, it looks like all it would take is wiring the right bits together - the dongle doesn't even contain any passive components. (Maybe a 10uF cap on the mic line. Maybe.) The hard part seems to be finding a TRRS (or 4-pole) 3.5mm jack - there are a few online stores selling them for like $5 each, but they really shouldn't be more than $1...

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I know that the original flavor of Twizzlers was licorice, but what is the original red flavor? I think it was strawberry but it could be cherry too. Anyone know?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

WillieWestwood posted:

It's amusing how many questions are here that would have better served in that thread. Which reminds me - I should report my previous post in the new YouTube thread in GBS.

Sadly I haven't got an answer there yet either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bojanglesworth posted:

I know that the original flavor of Twizzlers was licorice, but what is the original red flavor? I think it was strawberry but it could be cherry too. Anyone know?

Googling points to strawberry:
http://www.hersheys.com/twizzlers/our-story.aspx#/1845

The modern packaging seems to back it up.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
How come after taking a nap I (and other people) feel like crap after waking up? As in, headache, dizzy, nauseous, and even more tired before the nap. Other people don't get sick and feel great after taking one. Google brings up a lot of people asking the same thing on forums but getting garbage responses.

ahleeshaa
Jan 24, 2007
"dicks"

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

How come after taking a nap I (and other people) feel like crap after waking up? As in, headache, dizzy, nauseous, and even more tired before the nap. Other people don't get sick and feel great after taking one. Google brings up a lot of people asking the same thing on forums but getting garbage responses.

You may be napping for too long? I've always heard it's best to take 20 minute "power naps" than to take hour long naps because of where you wake up in your sleep cycle. If you sleep too long and interrupt a deep sleep cycle before getting through REM sleep, it can make you feel lovely.

Or something like that anyway. It's what I've always heard.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

greazeball posted:

Fast and Loose?

Yes! Thank you!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Does it happen every time you nap? How often does it happen? Do you nap in the same place that you sleep?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

This always happens to me when I eat pizza before a nap. Only pizza.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

Does it happen every time you nap? How often does it happen? Do you nap in the same place that you sleep?

It usually happens when I lay down to sleep or even in a reclined chair, but probably never in a moving vehicle. I try not to nap unless I really need it so I don't do it often. There's always some grogginess, but maybe once in a rare while I'll feel okay. My girlfriend today fell asleep on the bed for no more than 20 min but felt sick waking up so I'm wondering again why it happens.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone have a link to the old GBS thread where a dead Goon got the most obnoxious tombstone of all time?

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a question about right-of-way(in Texas if it matters). Imagine a four way intersection where one street is uncontrolled, and the other street has stop signs. Two cars approach and stop at the stop signs. One of the cars is turning left and the other is going straight. There is some traffic on the cross street, so both cars are waiting. I've seen two different schools of thought concerning right-of-way in this situation.

1. The car going straight has the right of way.
2. Whichever car reaches the intersection first has the right of way.

Back in driver's ed, my teacher told me 1 was the correct. Other people I've asked remember 1 being correct also. However, it seems like most other drivers I see out on the road use 2 as a rule. Was my teacher just wrong, or is this something most people don't know how to do correctly? I tried google, but it was just giving me 4 way stop situations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

torgo posted:

I have a question about right-of-way(in Texas if it matters). Imagine a four way intersection where one street is uncontrolled, and the other street has stop signs. Two cars approach and stop at the stop signs. One of the cars is turning left and the other is going straight. There is some traffic on the cross street, so both cars are waiting. I've seen two different schools of thought concerning right-of-way in this situation.

1. The car going straight has the right of way.
2. Whichever car reaches the intersection first has the right of way.

Back in driver's ed, my teacher told me 1 was the correct. Other people I've asked remember 1 being correct also. However, it seems like most other drivers I see out on the road use 2 as a rule. Was my teacher just wrong, or is this something most people don't know how to do correctly? I tried google, but it was just giving me 4 way stop situations.

In Arizona #1 is the correct choice, so maybe it is the same in Texas.

My question is about court etiquette. I have to head to superior court tomorrow to address the judge regarding a friend's trial. Am I supposed to call the judge "judge" or "your honor" or something else? My only knowledge of how court works is from Law and Order, so I don't really have anything to go on.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For some reason I cannot grasp how to properly use the SA search function. I made created a thread in Automotive Insanity about 1.5 years ago about a GMC Suburban. For the life of me, I can't find it using search. Could someone school me on what I'm doing wrong?

*I have archive access.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
*You can't search archives.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hughmoris posted:

For some reason I cannot grasp how to properly use the SA search function. I made created a thread in Automotive Insanity about 1.5 years ago about a GMC Suburban. For the life of me, I can't find it using search. Could someone school me on what I'm doing wrong?

*I have archive access.
The archives don't have a search function due to their sheer size. You'll have to use your browser's search function. But you can narrow it down by selecting the year you made the thread on and the month you last saw your thread. By using your username, the year 2010 and the number of replies, then going through the pages, I found your thread on page 6. And here it is.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

WillieWestwood posted:

The archives don't have a search function due to their sheer size. You'll have to use your browser's search function. But you can narrow it down by selecting the year you made the thread on and the month you last saw your thread. By using your username, the year 2010 and the number of replies, then going through the pages, I found your thread on page 6. And here it is.

That would explain it then. Thanks for the help.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hughmoris posted:

*I have archive access.

This?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286331

Found that by going to AI, filtering on 2010, going back through the pages looking for your name. Found it on pg22.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Dude posted:

My question is about court etiquette. I have to head to superior court tomorrow to address the judge regarding a friend's trial. Am I supposed to call the judge "judge" or "your honor" or something else? My only knowledge of how court works is from Law and Order, so I don't really have anything to go on.

"Your honor", and always stand up when addressing the court. And only speak when you're invited*

* My only knowledge of American courts are LA Law, so :shobon:

** I liked Ernie :3:

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

ahleeshaa posted:

You may be napping for too long? I've always heard it's best to take 20 minute "power naps" than to take hour long naps because of where you wake up in your sleep cycle. If you sleep too long and interrupt a deep sleep cycle before getting through REM sleep, it can make you feel lovely.

Or something like that anyway. It's what I've always heard.

I've always wondered how people can precisely time their naps. You can set an alarm, but it still takes some time to fall asleep, and there's no way to know how much before you lay down. Do people just fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow or what?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
How do spiders build their webs between two tall branches? In our backyard we have several fat garden spiders that build their webs between several tree branches that are three or four feet apart. Do they anchor their web to one branch, crawl down several feet and run across to the next branch, dragging their web behind them? Or do they leap? Or some other kinda spider magic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Spiders can jump pretty drat far. It's like how they say an ant can lift 50 times its own weight- at insect scales, the laws of physics and the capabilities of muscles and body materials have totally different implications than for human-sized creatures.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Florida Betty posted:

I've always wondered how people can precisely time their naps. You can set an alarm, but it still takes some time to fall asleep, and there's no way to know how much before you lay down. Do people just fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow or what?

My mom can fall asleep anywhere in less than a minute. I am so jealous.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

How do spiders build their webs between two tall branches? In our backyard we have several fat garden spiders that build their webs between several tree branches that are three or four feet apart. Do they anchor their web to one branch, crawl down several feet and run across to the next branch, dragging their web behind them? Or do they leap? Or some other kinda spider magic?

haveblue posted:

Spiders can jump pretty drat far. It's like how they say an ant can lift 50 times its own weight- at insect scales, the laws of physics and the capabilities of muscles and body materials have totally different implications than for human-sized creatures.

That's all true, but in this case they actually just release the web and let it drift in the air until the other (sticky) end catches on something.
They are throwing a grapple rather than laying a cable.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Looking for 3 random strangers' opinions/responses: On a scale of 1-10 (0 being toner is same as manufacturer's, 10 being toner is actually sand), how likely do you think it is that Chinese ebay-toner will gently caress up my printer?

$7 bottle of toner from Hong Kong for use in my Brother HL-2140 laser printer.

e: I'm good now

Pweller fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 14, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Pweller posted:

Looking for 3 random strangers' opinions/responses: On a scale of 1-10 (0 being toner is same as manufacturer's, 10 being toner is actually sand), how likely do you think it is that Chinese ebay-toner will gently caress up my printer?

It could gently caress up lots of things (drum [probably part of your cartridge] the cartridge itself, fuser, rollers, gears if it's sand or sticky/clumpy or something but whether there is bad toner going around I have no idea. We've always bought reman cartridges from whoever is cheapest at the time at work and they fail sometimes, they spill toner everywhere or they don't fit or the gears shred but I've never seen the toner itself cause a problem and our reman vendors probably use the same cheap poo poo toner.

If you work in an office check with the secretaries to see if they have any printer or fax cartridges for machines they don't have anymore. I took home a new in box reman LJ 4si cartridge and dumped it into a bag. I got lucky and it even had a plug I could pull to dump it out. I've filled up my little samsung personal printer and my parents lexmark with plenty to do both 2 more times.

edit: and don't use a drill on anything, you can't get plastic shavings into the toner. use a hot knife or sacrifice a soldering iron.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 13, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How quickly can DNS change?
When I ping mail.global.frontbridge.com, I get different addresses, and even different subnets in the span of 30 seconds. It's a Microsoft-hosted mail server and I think they're doing this for some kind of load balancing, but we get failures for one of the IPs. How in the hell do they do that?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a way to change the album art in Mp3 files en masse? My mp3 player won't display art over 100kbs, but I'm not really excited at the thought of manually modifying several thousand songs.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How quickly can DNS change?
When I ping mail.global.frontbridge.com, I get different addresses, and even different subnets in the span of 30 seconds. It's a Microsoft-hosted mail server and I think they're doing this for some kind of load balancing, but we get failures for one of the IPs. How in the hell do they do that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Also if you have an issue like that you can just add a working one to your hosts file:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/hosts.htm

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Also if you have an issue like that you can just add a working one to your hosts file:

We can't do this because it's doing a direct MX lookup instead of a DNS lookup so it happens on the outside. We redirected it in our router.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
What's the best way to send bulk email to a few hundred people? Solicited, of course - in this case to the membership of a local social organization.

Free is preferred, but paid is fine so long as it's reasonable.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pweller posted:

Isn't there a goon in SA-Mart selling toner on the cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

What's the best way to send bulk email to a few hundred people? Solicited, of course - in this case to the membership of a local social organization.

Free is preferred, but paid is fine so long as it's reasonable.

MailChimp, perhaps?