Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm tired and have a plane to catch so I'm not going to recap the whole discussion for you. There are plenty of VW problems that are well documented all over the internet. Go have a look. Then find me one that has been traced to improper assembly by Mexicans or Mexican supplied parts. This is the crux of the matter. Maybe Mexican VWs have more problems, so what? Most VWs sold in the US are made in Mexico, if everything VW makes is garbage, then the Mexican ones are going to be more problematic because there are more of them.

Hey look, like I said, I don't know if there's any truth or not to problems with Mexican-assembled VWs. It just sounded like you instantly cried, "Racist!" as soon as he said "Mexico".

movax posted:

Ideally, one would think both factories should be using the same parts delivered to their door via whatever transport method. Barring that, each local source would go through some qualification process and then be approved for usage.

FWIW I work for an automotive supplier and just went down to Mexico last month for an issue they're having with one of our parts that we supply to two other plants with no problems. We took care of the problem and everyone's happy. Still, same parts and same delivery doesn't mean same problems (or lack thereof) because there are differences in the ways the plants handle received materials, the way they assemble/manufacture, etc.

Also, local sources may go through the same qualification process but it doesn't mean that the quality requirements are as high (i.e. "Quality Level 5" needed for global but "Quality Level 4" acceptable for local production).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:supaburn:

;)

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
The country of manufacture isn't the main issue in quality complaints - it's where the vehicle lives and how it's cared for. I've seen just as many rotting German-built VWs as I've seen Mexican-built ones. Frankly, I'd rather have a Mexican-built VW anyway - judging by the substandard engineering the Germans are so proud of it's scary to think they design AND build cars.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Hey look, like I said, I don't know if there's any truth or not to problems with Mexican-assembled VWs. It just sounded like you instantly cried, "Racist!" as soon as he said "Mexico".

FWIW I work for an automotive supplier and just went down to Mexico last month for an issue they're having with one of our parts that we supply to two other plants with no problems. We took care of the problem and everyone's happy. Still, same parts and same delivery doesn't mean same problems (or lack thereof) because there are differences in the ways the plants handle received materials, the way they assemble/manufacture, etc.

Also, local sources may go through the same qualification process but it doesn't mean that the quality requirements are as high (i.e. "Quality Level 5" needed for global but "Quality Level 4" acceptable for local production).

Your arguments are wasted on Throatwarbler because he calls anyone who criticizes a car based on where its built for any reason a racist. It's like he's got Mexican people in his family and takes this very personally when it's not about the people who make the cars but just the slight differences in production by location.

That being said I don't know why people bitch about VW reliability, I know a guy who owns an A6 and he's had no serious problems. I know at least 2 other people who have an MK5 Jetta and a Golf MK5 and no problems so far for either. Maybe people who take better care of their cars don't have reliability issues?

I know for a fact a lot of Mercdes, VW, Audi etc drivers treat their cars like poo poo and the result is a miserable maintenance experience. For example I knew a guy who insisted on filling his Mercedes with regular gas. A lot of other people buy used and inherit a lot of problems like for example someone selling their car just before they did their mandatory 65k DSG maintenance.

Japanese cars are idiot proof and built to take punishment from their owners so when someone buys German they think they can cut corners on maintenance and the result is a catastrophic breakdown.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

OK, I've got a buddy with a 1.8T B5 Passat that randomly dies when he's coming to stop after the car's warmed up. Everything seems to be pointing to a bad crankshaft position sensor and a shop wants like $600 to fix it.

First off, does that diagnosis sound right?

Second, how much of a bitch is it to get to the thing to replace it? I've read it isn't in the most accessible of places. He'd like to keep repair costs down (he's trying to sell the thing). Is there something online with a few pictures of where the thing is and how to get to it? I've been looking around and haven't found much on the topic other than people saying that they've done it and there are some uncomfortable angles involved.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/01/volkswagen-golf-mk7-set-to-debut-at-end.html

gently caress this. I need to get an MK6 before they bring us a shiny hard plastic MK7 with leaf spring suspension and watered down interior quality. Every time I hear VW say "cost cutting" it almost always means making the car shittier. The new Jetta was by far a disappointment and watching it sell like hotcakes because stupid Americans only care about price and nothing else was rage inducing.

I've always viewed VW as a company that rode the niche between mass market Japanese cars and premium German cars like a BMW. You get to have the best of both worlds for a "medium" price. Now they're basically alienating their existing customer base myself included to cash in on the mass market corolla drivers. Not only did they gently caress up the Jetta and Passat but they plan to gently caress the Golf too? That leaves us with the CC and Touraeg and that is way out of my price range.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DerDestroyer posted:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/01/volkswagen-golf-mk7-set-to-debut-at-end.html

gently caress this. I need to get an MK6 before they bring us a shiny hard plastic MK7 with leaf spring suspension and watered down interior quality. Every time I hear VW say "cost cutting" it almost always means making the car shittier. The new Jetta was by far a disappointment and watching it sell like hotcakes because stupid Americans only care about price and nothing else was rage inducing.

I've always viewed VW as a company that rode the niche between mass market Japanese cars and premium German cars like a BMW. You get to have the best of both worlds for a "medium" price. Now they're basically alienating their existing customer base myself included to cash in on the mass market corolla drivers. Not only did they gently caress up the Jetta and Passat but they plan to gently caress the Golf too? That leaves us with the CC and Touraeg and that is way out of my price range.

Except prices have been rising (or every low price car company has collectively gotten together to screw over their customers) so how is VW supposed to maintain the middle ground when everyone else is starting to match them in price? Either they raise prices a bit to maintain the middle of the road, thus entering the realm you've admitted you can't afford, or "cost cut".

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

nessin posted:

Except prices have been rising (or every low price car company has collectively gotten together to screw over their customers) so how is VW supposed to maintain the middle ground when everyone else is starting to match them in price? Either they raise prices a bit to maintain the middle of the road, thus entering the realm you've admitted you can't afford, or "cost cut".

No. What happened was VW made that claim that they want to be the biggest car manufacturer in the world. To do that you need the North American Market. So they nerfed the Jetta and Passat so they could compete on price with the Corolla and Camry.

It has absolutely nothing to do with VWs suddenly hitting the BMW and Mercedes level pricing.

VW simply made a strategic decision to increase their exposure to the North American markets by competing on price and it worked. Jettas went up 40% in sales.

The only people who match VW on price are companies like Ford, GM and Hyundai who are now selling upscale C-Sector cars like the Focus, Cruze and Elantra because they're banking on efficiency conscious Americans downgrading their large vehicles to a smaller more efficient vehicles.The idea is they want all the luxury features they come to expect from a larger car in a compact sized vehicle that consumes less fuel. This is a strategy that worked. In Canada with taxes and other fees a Ford Focus Titanium hits about 30k, 2k less than a VW Golf TDI. For that you get a metric fuckton of features and a premium level vehicle that competes with Volkswagen.

So yes C-sector cars are getting expensive, but they are getting expensive because Ford & Co are trying to win over buyers looking for higher build quality and luxury in a compact vehicle. The new Focus has a dual clutch transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes, premium sony audio system, soft touch materials, power seats, leather etc. They are more expensive because they chose to add value to their vehicles. Honda and Toyota are not doing this so they are cheap and people buy them. That's fine.

So why then, is VW sacrificing their primary selling point which is "fun", quality, build and luxurious interior trims when companies like Ford, GM and Hyundai are up scaling their compacts? The old Ford Focus was rightfully a watered down piece of poo poo compared to the European version and now they gave us a global Focus based on European standards and its selling like hotcakes. VW on the other hand is betraying people who expect a European style car so they can build loving Toyotas.

If I want a goddamned Toyota I'd buy a Toyota.

Making VW Corollas and VW Camrys is a loving horrible idea in the long run because when people realize how unreliable and high maintenance a VW is compared to Toyota they will dump their cars and go back to their tried and true Japanese cars. VW's only real selling point is making a luxury car at a price that is just below BMW prices. Take that away and you get a Toyota that breaks down and requires extensive maintenance. That is a recipe for failure.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 13, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

I don't see anything in the article you quoted that suggests they are planning on decontenting the Golf. It IS cheaper to build on the MQB platform, but that isn't the interior quality at all.

I hope you aren't talking about the plastic fender flares because those exist on just about every test car ever made.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

smax posted:

OK, I've got a buddy with a 1.8T B5 Passat that randomly dies when he's coming to stop after the car's warmed up. Everything seems to be pointing to a bad crankshaft position sensor and a shop wants like $600 to fix it.

First off, does that diagnosis sound right?

Second, how much of a bitch is it to get to the thing to replace it? I've read it isn't in the most accessible of places. He'd like to keep repair costs down (he's trying to sell the thing). Is there something online with a few pictures of where the thing is and how to get to it? I've been looking around and haven't found much on the topic other than people saying that they've done it and there are some uncomfortable angles involved.

It's possible that the sensor is bad but usually the car will also have a hard start and logged faults for the sensor. Best way to make sure is to check the sensor with a DSO. I can't remember how difficult the job is but I think its one that the book time can be beaten pretty easily.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
Off to Cuba for a week! Hopef
ully I'll spot some unusual VAG stuff to laugh at!

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
When I was there earlier this year I spotted some new-ish Audi A4s and Skoda Octavias being used as taxis.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

This is one of the main reasons I bought my 2011 TDI Golf. The new jetta is a giant pile of poo poo, and as soon as the new GLI starts making its way to dealerships my 04 GLI was going to tank in value. If VW keeps the way they're going this will be my last one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

Off to Cuba for a week! Hopefully I'll spot some unusual VAG

:pervert: have fun!

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't see anything in the article you quoted that suggests they are planning on decontenting the Golf. It IS cheaper to build on the MQB platform, but that isn't the interior quality at all.

I hope you aren't talking about the plastic fender flares because those exist on just about every test car ever made.

I think it's fairly safe to say that they will keep decontenting the Golf, especially the lower end models. That doesn't mean that GTIs and GLIs will lose features though, I think VW is actually pretty good at keeping cool stuff in their upper range models.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This is one of the main reasons I bought my 2011 TDI Golf. The new jetta is a giant pile of poo poo, and as soon as the new GLI starts making its way to dealerships my 04 GLI was going to tank in value. If VW keeps the way they're going this will be my last one.

The "leather" in the new Jetta is seriously one of the worst surfaces I've ever sat on. I don't even know how it's possible to make it so bad.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Autism Monday posted:

The "leather" in the new Jetta is seriously one of the worst surfaces I've ever sat on. I don't even know how it's possible to make it so bad.

Are you talking about the "leatherette" they got in the new GLI?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

No, the regular non-GLI Jettas have a leatherette option too and it's much worse. The GLI seats are same as what the current GTI has I think, which aren't Lexus quality (and aren't all leather) but are not offensive.

edit: it's the "V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces" standard on the SE/SEL (or whatever they're called) Jettas.

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DerDestroyer posted:

There are a couple of things wrong with your point of view.

First is that VW cars aren't necessarily regarded as higher quality than a Corolla or Camry (I guess Avensis) in the rest of the world.

Second is that cars in general are retardedly cheap in North America and it isn't just taxes and duties that cause this.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

dissss posted:

There are a couple of things wrong with your point of view.

First is that VW cars aren't necessarily regarded as higher quality than a Corolla or Camry (I guess Avensis) in the rest of the world.

Second is that cars in general are retardedly cheap in North America and it isn't just taxes and duties that cause this.

Yes but it's an undisputed fact that unless you're buying something like a VW Polo you get a substantially better built car if you bought it in Europe than if you bought it in North America. So we are still getting the short end of the stick relative to what Europeans get.

As I said before both the European Passat and the European Jetta are substantially better than what we are given. They are also somewhere on the order of $8000 more expensive because of that.

The Golf, CC, Touraeg etc are among the last remaining VWs sold in North America that are essentially equal in quality to their European variants. I think that in short order the Golf will be next on the chopping block with the Mark 7.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 14, 2011

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
[citation needed]

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

[citation needed]

Yeah seriously.

The Polo isn't available in North American, and isn't a particularly well built car anyway - I'd say it sits above a Yaris or Swift but below a Honda Fit.

Yes the US Jetta/Passat sufferes from cost cutting, but you could say exactly the same thing about a the US Corolla/Camry vs the European Auris/Avensis, or the US Accord vs the international one - bigger, simpler, cheaper is just how the US car market works.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

[citation needed]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR2XuP_-QaU&#t=2m43s

https://www.vw.de

Look at the Passat, it's a different car than the American one.

dissss posted:

Yeah seriously.

The Polo isn't available in North American, and isn't a particularly well built car anyway - I'd say it sits above a Yaris or Swift but below a Honda Fit.

Did you read what I said?

I said that unless you're buying a VW polo, the European version is almost always better than the American one. That means that I excluded the VW Polo from my comparison of EU VWs vs NA ones.

By the way Totalnewbie has a personal grudge against me due to something that happened years back in a Japan thread so he won't hestitate to come after me in every thread I happen to be arguing in. So feel free to disregard what he says because its usually a troll post. Most of the other people besides Throatwarbler know exactly what I'm talking about and agree with me.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 15, 2011

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
E:NM

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay so VWE says, "We use better parts."

I trust that as much as I trust them saying, "We make better cars than anyone else."

vvv that's better

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 15, 2011

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Okay so VWE says, "We use better parts."

I trust that as much as I trust them saying, "We make better cars than anyone else."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q3/2011_volkswagen_jetta-first_drive_review

Car and Driver posted:

One very obvious compromise can be seen its dashboard material. Whereas the previous car had soft-touch, nicely grained plastics that were comparable to those of the Mercedes-Benz E-class, the new model has hard plastic that wouldn’t look too out of place in a Chrysler Sebring...

All models besides the top-spec GLI return to a torsion-beam solid rear axle, and the bottom two trim levels (S and SE) have rear drum brakes instead of discs. The news gets worse. Electric power steering is replaced by hydraulic power steering on non-GLI models, the hood no longer is held open by gas struts, and the compact gas-strut four-bar linkage that held open the previous Jetta’s trunk has been replaced by goose-neck-style hinges that intrude into the trunk compartment

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Did you read what I said?

I said that unless you're buying a VW polo, the European version is almost always better than the American one. That means that I excluded the VW Polo from my comparison of EU VWs vs NA ones.

Yeah I misread that. I still don't think its accurate to say the international Golf is any better than the US market one though - you wouldn't believe how stripped out the basic versions are elsewhere in the world.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

dissss posted:

Yeah I misread that. I still don't think its accurate to say the international Golf is any better than the US market one though - you wouldn't believe how stripped out the basic versions are elsewhere in the world.
I didn't say the international Golf is any better than the US Market one. Other than some people electing to have lower trim levels it remains a well built car that continues to provide basic structural quality features that are expected from a European car. The Europeans get to put smaller engines into theirs and the Americans can't get higher trim options like automatic parking, rear parking camera, LED Tailights, Leather Seats (which we CAN get in Canada). Other than some minor trim availability issues the US market Golf is exactly the kind of vehicle you can buy in Europe. I believe that VW is going to change that with the Mark 7.

The whole point of this argument is that a lot of the enthusiasts like myself and veedubfreak are used to holding VW to a certain standard which they have now decided to go far below. Now we are anticipating that the Golf will no longer be an international model but will also get watered down for US markets in the same way that the Passat and Jetta have. A lot of people are fed up with VW's cost cutting. They don't build indestructible cars like Toyota to justify selling a Toyota equivalent vehicle that constantly needs to have its components replaced under warranty.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 15, 2011

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Uh oh a question :ohdear:

98 New Beetle, gas, 5-spd. When I turn the key to start, on the first time the starter doesn't come on. Usually, if I turn it back to off and then around to start, it will start, but sometimes it's the 3rd time and sometimes it won't start at all. I replaced the ignition switch thinking it was just worn out after 13 years of being turned, but it does the same thing. All the wiring at the switch was good and not burned.

Since I've replaced the switch, the idle seems weak. I'm going to scan for codes and reset the throttle adaptation with VAG-COM once my laptop charges up, but does anyone have any other ideas?

edit: OK I cleared the one code (idle adaptation) and reset the throttle. Runs fine now. But it still will not start on the first try. Always starts on the second. And when I say it doesn't start, there's no click or starter noise. It's like if you turned the key to start with the battery disconnected.

Bolkovr fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2011

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yesterday I drove my new VW Passat from -96 and holy crap it's so much better than my old Astra (Also from 96). It actually has a rev counter, AC, ABS, a 2.0l engine and leather seats. It's a loving comfortable car and once I get the stereo removed from the Astra it will be a nearly perfect car.

I say nearly, because, like my old Astra, it has quirks. The most annoying of these quirks are the car locks and the way they don't work. Today I spent a good 50-60 seconds locking and unlocking the car, because the locks wouldn't unlock. Eventually they did though.
The next problem is a pretty small one that I can probably live with. When unlocking the doors the windows will go down, only on the front doors though and closing them isn't a hassle anyway.
Third problem: Sometimes the car doesn't start. I turn the key and.... No sounds from the engine. The AC, Fans and stereo all start, but the starter can take several tries to kick up.

Also, my dad said that sometimes when you lock the doors one door will stay unlocked despite the alarm being engaged and that you have to open the door (Triggering the alarm), close it and turn the key in the lock again to properly lock it and shut off the alarm.

So how easy would these problems be to fix? I'm not great at cars (I can check the oil and change tires but I want to learn), but I do have a service/repair manual. This is going to be my daily driver for a while and I might sell it to my company some day (it is a very nice car) but that would require the quirks to be removed first.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Could someone help me identify compatible models with a 2002 Cabrio? I've replaced the alternator and front O2 sensor and the car runs a lot better. No CEL in 120 miles, but I have to run a VAG-COM scan tonight to see if anything is still lurking there. The last thing preventing inspection is the drivers side front wheel speed sensor. NH fails based on ABS lights as of this year.

What model VWs are compatible? I doubt I'll find a 2002 Cabrio at the junk yard but Golfs and Jettas of various vintages aplenty.

Edit: okay, the sensor is $30 shipped on amazon, so I'll just buy new. I still like to know what body styles/model years have compatible parts, though, if someone can help.

carticket fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 17, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Can anyone recommend a set of replacement headlight bulbs for my 2005 A4 (B6)? I'd really like to upgrade from the stock bulbs to something that's: (1) much brighter; and (2) more of a pure white color; but I'm too cheap to swap in actual Xenons. I'm open to suggestions on specific brands, models, or even websites to shop for these kinds of things.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
So, pictured is the pigtail off the main engine loom that attaches to the front airbag sensor - 2010 Jetta TDI.

Apparently, if that is cut I need a new "right side main wire harness" for $4000 and $1200 installation cost. As such, my insurance company wants to total my vehicle.

Is there some rule saying that no technician possesses the skill to recap and test that connection after its severed or something?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
It definitely could be repaired for cheap as hell, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're legally obligated to replace it or something. What happened to your car, though? Wrecked? Stolen?

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

Lowclock posted:

It definitely could be repaired for cheap as hell, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're legally obligated to replace it or something. What happened to your car, though? Wrecked? Stolen?

I guess if it's shielded it could be a big deal, I would understand that.

Collision, sadly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What kind of crazy labor are they charging to install a wiring harness?

Do you have a copy of the estimate? I can review it if you want.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

Bovril Delight posted:

What kind of crazy labor are they charging to install a wiring harness?

Do you have a copy of the estimate? I can review it if you want.

$4000 for the full harness, $1200 for installation. The appraisal used numbers from VW on that thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mrbucket posted:

$4000 for the full harness, $1200 for installation. The appraisal used numbers from VW on that thing.

The part is no surprise - with that new of a model year you have to use OEM parts. Also, I really doubt you could find a used wiring harness easily.

The labor is what is surprising. If they are charging $100 or $120/hr for mechanical it's still heavy on the hours.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mrbucket posted:

So, pictured is the pigtail off the main engine loom that attaches to the front airbag sensor - 2010 Jetta TDI.

Apparently, if that is cut I need a new "right side main wire harness" for $4000 and $1200 installation cost. As such, my insurance company wants to total my vehicle.

Is there some rule saying that no technician possesses the skill to recap and test that connection after its severed or something?

A single shoddy wiring harness repair will multiply into many, many problems down the road. It just isn't worth the risk to the insurance company to try and have that fixed; easier for them to cut you a check.

$4k end-user cost for an OEM harness sounds about right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I think its mainly because its an airbag sensor wire. There might be some sort of regulation about not splicing those. If that wiring harness covers the whole right front area then it could easily take 15+ hours to take apart basically everything in that corner of the car