Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

epswing posted:

For some reason I thought it was further. Never mind!

In other news my GS500 idles at about 1600. Methinks that's a bit high. The gstwins wiki says 1200. The picture on that page suggests I'll have to remove my fairings to do this.

Rats.

You don't have to remove the fairings. The idle adjustment screw should be accessible without issue, at least it was on my 2009.

A word of caution, it can get pretty hot down there, keep your gloves on if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Beautiful day today, probably the last weekend in the 70's here in upstate NY.

Came out to my Ninja 636 and proceeded to start it up to go to work for a few hours...

and it says NNNNNNNRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR no start.

gently caress YOU

and I sadly went to work on teh gf's SV650.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

the walkin dude posted:

Beautiful day today, probably the last weekend in the 70's here in upstate NY.

Came out to my Ninja 636 and proceeded to start it up to go to work for a few hours...

and it says NNNNNNNRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR no start.

gently caress YOU

and I sadly went to work on teh gf's SV650.

Hey at least yours wouldn't start from the beginning. Today my Ninja 636 started and let me ride it only to strand me away from home. These drat 636s, who needs em. :argh:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
ECU issues?

gonna pick up a new battery after work. grah.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Took my first real ride on my new GasGas. The thing is massively stiff. I need a respring and a revalve stat.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Hold on while I get a ladder. We'll have you down from that tree in a jiffy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

ECU issues?

I hope not, since I replaced it and relocated it and heat shielded it. I'm thinking valves, spark plugs, or voltage regulator. After that it's injectors, fuel pump, 2012 FZ1 in white.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My seat got a tear in it today, the first day it's rained in months. :/

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
First real ride through some twisties on my newly acquired sv650s today, and first time I got to test its acceleration.

Oh my god I'm in love.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's funny, cos yesterday a noob rider friend came over with his stock '06 SV650S. I had him try one of my two modded SV's, while I rode his. My first time riding an unmolested S model. I thought his bike was hella slow. Pulling the stock throttle to get the engine to spin up was close to a chore. It was even threatening to slip the rear out from simple turning in intersections (mediocre tires & stock pogo shock). It's a nice cruiser, though, thanks to the riser/clip-ons.

He was initially unsure of what to think of my SV w/ R6 throttle, upgraded sprockets, and stiff suspension. He said it was a rough beast, and kept on saying "wow."

Shows how much experience can build up... It's been half a year since I lost my stock SV650.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 9, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

AncientTV posted:

A plug chop is when you ride your bike for a certain distance (what I was asking about) at a single throttle opening (1/4, half, 3/4, WOT). At the end of that distance, you disengage your clutch, hit the kill switch (while keeping the same throttle up until this point) and coast to somewhere safe. Now when you remove your plugs, they will give you an idea about the air/fuel mixture at that throttle opening, allowing you to tune your bike pretty accurately.

I don't get it, why can't you do that while in neutral and not moving?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

niethan posted:

I don't get it, why can't you do that while in neutral and not moving?

Unloaded vs loaded, will see different readings.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Talking of which, how do you get a good tune on a bike that's too powerful for plug chops and without access to a wide-band sniffer? My brother's buddy just put a Scorpion system on his ZX-9r ("It was the loudest one they had, bro" :rolleyes: ), and he said it's been bogging at high RPMs. I told him I'd take a look at it for him, but I'm not sure what all I could do besides best-guessing it. Suggestions?

edit: Also, this is the first supersport I'll be riding. I suspect my sense of speed, in relation to my Ninjette, is going to be demolished.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Another argument for fuel injection. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, buy a Power Commander (you sure it's broke?).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

AncientTV posted:

Talking of which, how do you get a good tune on a bike that's too powerful for plug chops and without access to a wide-band sniffer?

Find the model-specific message board, find (usually) the exhaust- /jetting- /mapping-specific thread, and either find someone with the exact same bike and pipe or post your bike and pipe and ask for jet/map recommendations. Especially with something like a ZX-9R it's a surety someone's done this work for you already.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I went on a mountain gap ride with RevDrMosesPLester yesterday. He had his new Ducati. It's the first time he's showed up on a bike that isn't in some way either (a) a death trap or (b) on the verge of self destruction.

I wrote this post to say that I'm sure the bike has a great sound, but I couldn't hear it because I was on my Harley.

:master:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just had a dream where I let a friend ride my bike, and he dropped it.

That is all. :ohdear:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

the walkin dude posted:

It was even threatening to slip the rear out from simple turning in intersections (mediocre tires & stock pogo shock).

It's really cause were riding it like a dong, right?

epswing posted:

I just had a dream where I let a friend ride my bike, and he dropped it.

That is all. :ohdear:

I let a friend [who is on his first ride, a CX500] ride my vstar 1300. He immediately proceeded to lock up the rear wheel with the disc brake that actually sort of works for a few feet approaching his first turn, and dig up a channel in the pavement through each turn trying to keep up with me on his CX. He seemed a little flustered when he got off. :) "Now I know why you corner so slow"

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 11, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yep. My current bare minimum requirement of my bikes: be capable of demonstrating the maximum assholery and anti-automobile attitudes of the rider. Which is why I've been reading rider reviews of the Tuono and drooling. That friend told me yesterday that he was definitely overwhelmed by my modded SV, and he's been riding since this recent spring.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
The new Ninja 650 looks loving gorgeous. Depending on what Suzuki's offerings are in the upcoming years, my next bike will likely be this.

http://newproductlaunch.kawasaki.com/Products/Overview.aspx?productid=570

[edit]
Oh, oops, totally missed this thread. Oh, well!

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 11, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fangs404 posted:

The new Ninja 650 looks loving gorgeous. Depending on what Suzuki's offerings are in the upcoming years, my next bike will likely be this.

For reals, I totally dig the underslung muffler and asymmetric rear shock setup. I prefer naked bikes so I'd probably bias toward the ER-6n though. Those 650s have the right # of cylinders to make me happy.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I always feel slightly annoyed when I see bikes just over 600cc because of how the licencing system works in NZ.

600cc and under, registration is $414/year. Over 600 is a $114 increase. :argh:

Retarded system is retarded.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Odette posted:

I always feel slightly annoyed when I see bikes just over 600cc because of how the licencing system works in NZ.

600cc and under, registration is $414/year. Over 600 is a $114 increase. :argh:

Retarded system is retarded.

Yeah but you get to live in New Zealand so... quiet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

Wow, that does look good. They need to style the entire Ninja range like that.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What about the 4th gen SV... :(

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

the walkin dude posted:

What about the 4th gen SV... :(

They've removed all traces of SV on their website, and everyone on SV Rider speculates that this means they'll announce a new SV pretty soon. They're long overdue since it hasn't been updated since '09 with the Gladius.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

clutchpuck posted:

For reals, I totally dig the underslung muffler and asymmetric rear shock setup. I prefer naked bikes so I'd probably bias toward the ER-6n though. Those 650s have the right # of cylinders to make me happy.

Yeah, I completely agree, and I really dig the low-profile swingarm. I've ridden a buddy's R6, but I just love my SV. All the low-end torque the 650cc 2 cylinder bikes put out makes them so drat fun to ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not liking that Ninja at all from the tank back.

Muffler looks weird, shock looks weird, swingarm looks weird. I've liked 1 side swingarms I've seen, but a single shock on the outside just looks odd to me, although for adjustment etc. it couldn't be better I guess.

The idea they had with the exhaust is good but the execution is not, from the shifting side of the bike it just looks odd.

Yeah, love the look and the lines of the front of it definitely, but the stuff listed above combined with the top of the rear having the appearance that it came right off the new gen 250 make it a "meh" to me.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

nsaP posted:

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not liking that Ninja at all from the tank back.

Muffler looks weird, shock looks weird, swingarm looks weird. I've liked 1 side swingarms I've seen, but a single shock on the outside just looks odd to me, although for adjustment etc. it couldn't be better I guess.

The idea they had with the exhaust is good but the execution is not, from the shifting side of the bike it just looks odd.

Yeah, love the look and the lines of the front of it definitely, but the stuff listed above combined with the top of the rear having the appearance that it came right off the new gen 250 make it a "meh" to me.

I didn't want to be the first naysayer, but yeah, it looks pretty weird to me. It almost looks like a more road friendly dual sport.

I can see why a lot of people would like it though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it'll look more normal when they do the Versys version.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

To me it looks like someone stuck a shock from a Dyna on a sportbike.

I guess the rest looks nice, but I can't shake the feeling that going from a sportbike to a budget bike will feel horrible in terms of weight and suspension.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

To me it looks like someone stuck a shock from a Dyna on a sportbike.

I guess the rest looks nice, but I can't shake the feeling that going from a sportbike to a budget bike will feel horrible in terms of weight and suspension.

They haven't changed the suspension either looking at the spec sheet. They've given it a new frame and revised swingarm that, translated from marketing speak, is supposed to look less loving awful cheap and terrible from less than 6 feet away. The frame will probably be more rigid and a better basis for "tooning", but I think most reviewers dissed the suspension action rather than the chassis per se, so they could probably have done it more favours with some BPFs and a fully adjustable shock.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I adjusted the idle rate on my gs500. It was idling at about 1600 rpm, and I brought it down to about 1100 rpm. Success!

Except...the throttle/transmission feels super jerky now. With the clutch fully engaged, and the throttle fully closed (coasting in 2nd gear, for example), if I roll open the throttle a few millimeters, the bike jolts forward (throwing me backwards). Rolling the throttle back closed jolts back (throwing me forward). I'm making it sound worse than it is, just to get my point across. But it's definitely way more touchy than it was when the idle was higher.

What's going on here?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

epswing posted:

What's going on here?

Something other than the throttle stop adjustment made your idle high in the first place. A lean idle mixture will be higher than a correct one. I'm ambivalent about suggesting this but I'd try raising the idle back up to 1600, then try lowering it with the idle mixture screw. If it goes really cold blooded after that, trying the idle screw in the other direction.

Reason I'm ambivalent is that you could end up making a poorly tuned bike even worse. I wish there was a cheap fuel/air ratio tool you could actually measure what was happening instead of looking at spark plugs etc.

Yeah, spark plugs. Let it idle for a few minutes, take out a plug and describe what it looks like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

epswing posted:

I adjusted the idle rate on my gs500. It was idling at about 1600 rpm, and I brought it down to about 1100 rpm. Success!

Except...the throttle/transmission feels super jerky now. With the clutch fully engaged, and the throttle fully closed (coasting in 2nd gear, for example), if I roll open the throttle a few millimeters, the bike jolts forward (throwing me backwards). Rolling the throttle back closed jolts back (throwing me forward). I'm making it sound worse than it is, just to get my point across. But it's definitely way more touchy than it was when the idle was higher.

What's going on here?

Are you sure you're not just riding around in second gear when you should be in first? If it only happens at low speed and low RPM, be a gear lower. A high idle can disguise the normal jerkyness of operation when you're too low in the rev range.

Also, how is chain slack and adjustment? Consistent and in spec?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

idle mixture screw

Time to figure out what this is!

Ola posted:

take out a plug and describe what it looks like

Uhhhhhhhh yeah. :ohdear:

Z3n posted:

Are you sure you're not just riding around in second gear when you should be in first? If it only happens at low speed and low RPM, be a gear lower.

I've driven stick on 4-wheelers for years (10+), so I'm leaning fast where I'm supposed to be on the bike, rpm-wise. The symptom still exists at higher speeds/rpms.

Z3n posted:

Also, how is chain slack and adjustment? Consistent and in spec

I will check!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Higher idle can also dull throttle response slightly, thanks to the smaller difference in RPM and the fact that the engine gets more responsive the higher RPM it is. 1100RPM is at the low end of the spec, I'd jump it up to 1300 and see how it feels then. I ran my ZX6E at 1400-1500 because at spec (1200) it always had a little hesitation on the throttle.

Also, you're adjusting idle with the bike nice and warm, right? Ideally after a 10 minute or so ride?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you don't have the manual for the bike, leave it be for now. It really helps to have The Haynes Gospel in front of you when you're taking your first steps as a mechanic.

This is what spark plugs can look like:

Rich mixture = too much gas

Lean mixture = not enough gas

If you have a spark plug socket and a camera, you can post a picture of one.

But I think Z3n might be right, most bikes are pretty sensitive around idle, you just get used to it and forget about it as your skills gradually compensate. If the bike idles consistently at the set speed and is easy to start both hot and cold, it's probably right.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

jump it up to 1300 and see how it feels then

Also, you're adjusting idle with the bike nice and warm, right? Ideally after a 10 minute or so ride?

Yep, I adjusted the idle after riding home from work (about a half hour) so the engine was nice and warm (hot, even) by then.

I'll play with the idle, hopefully there's a middleground I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epswing posted:

Except...the throttle/transmission feels super jerky now.

What's going on here?

At what RPM are you experiencing this?