Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Excellent. They obviously have leagues for people who are a bit rusty too, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hmm...Looking at it, they really only have two evening adult leagues at the moment, B and C1. If you're just looking for a league in the area there's also the Boulder Valley YMCA and Sun's complex in Westminster. I think they both offer some lower level (C/D) play.

Might think about coming out to drop-in. BVIce has a fair amount of drop-in sessions. Seems like if you played from 8-21 you probably just need a few skates to get your mojo back.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have had 5 hat tricks in my glorious ice hockey career, 3 of them have come when I've subbed for another team. Like last night's hatty.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Hmm...Looking at it, they really only have two evening adult leagues at the moment, B and C1. If you're just looking for a league in the area there's also the Boulder Valley YMCA and Sun's complex in Westminster. I think they both offer some lower level (C/D) play.

Might think about coming out to drop-in. BVIce has a fair amount of drop-in sessions. Seems like if you played from 8-21 you probably just need a few skates to get your mojo back.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I can still skate pretty well but haven't played ice hockey since. I've done some indoor floor leagues though. I played AAA my last season and tore my ACL so I've been out of it since.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

I have had 5 hat tricks in my glorious ice hockey career, 3 of them have come when I've subbed for another team. Like last night's hatty.

Yet you refuse to move up

Sand bagger:colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sandbagging is what all the cool kids do. Droppin' a hatty on a team of Bambis-on-ice makes me feel like a REAL man :smug:

On another note, gently caress my rink. Instead of 7am & 8am Saturday morning stick times that they usually have, they moved it to 1 session at 6 loving 30 am because of figure skating classes. gently caress every single one of you 13 year olds, I want my goddamn sleep!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should mix stick-n-puck with figure skating. If you can dodge a puck, you can do a triple lutz!

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 13, 2011

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yes but a sleepy defenseman would see some kid in front of his net and cross check her.

Not that it is a bad thing.

Anyway:
Hey so I haven't really been able to find a lot of places/time to practice rollerblading and the wife doesn't want me to invest in ice skates. I think my only option is to go to some beginners roller skating class.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

They should mix stick-n-pick with figure skating. If you can dodge a puck, you can do a triple lutz!

Funny you should mention that. There was a powerskating class being advertised. A lot of us hockey players were lobbying for one at our rink for a while, so naturally, we were excited to see one finally materialize. The hockey director forwards it to us, and asks us to help spread the word.

Half our team shows up on the first day. We're in the locker room talking about what we need to wear. Full pads? Only a few necessary few pads? Do we need a stick? We're getting anxious to have our rear end kicked. We get all our gear on, grab our sticks, come out of the locker room, hop on the i.... wait, why are there 20 little kids in figure skates already out there?......???.........

With 20 little kids laughing at us, we ask what's going on, we were told this was for hockey players, etc. Instructor lady says no it's obviously not for hockey players, so why don't we go take a seat on the bench and watch for a bit (?). Dumbfounded, we all take a seat on the bench wondering what the gently caress.

About 5 minutes later, a second figure skating instructor comes out and says yeah, this was intended for figure skaters, but since we're here, she'll run us through some stuff. Then maybe after they can start up a hockey powerskating class.

So there we all were. About 10 of us in full hockey pads, zooming in circles around the ice, weaving in between 50lb kids who are completely loving terrified of being steamrolled by big hockey goons. With all of their parents watching in horror from the stands.

I guess they got enough complaints from those parents that they made a separate hockey class.

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyway:
Hey so I haven't really been able to find a lot of places/time to practice rollerblading and the wife doesn't want me to invest in ice skates. I think my only option is to go to some beginners roller skating class.

Buy them and say they're non-returnable. Forgiveness, permission, etc. You're welcome.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyway:

Get some decent ice skates and explain that you would surely break your ankle roller skating and that would be super expensive so really you're saving money.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Yet you refuse to move up

Sand bagger:colbert:

:lol: Only one of my goals last night was actual skill. The second was because the goalie was awful and couldn't stop a trickler of a shot, and the third was a tip in. I actually am going to see if I can move up to a 4D team next season. Depends if they have room for me.

And they weren't Bambis, Mr. Zetterberg, they were a bunch of goons.

poser: You know any of the guys on Angry Beavers up in E?

trilljester fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

:lol: Only one of my goals last night was actual skill. The second was because the goalie was awful and couldn't stop a trickler of a shot, and the third was a tip in. I actually am going to see if I can move up to a 4D team next season. Depends if they have room for me.

And they weren't Bambis, Mr. Zetterberg, they were a bunch of goons.

poser: You know any of the guys on Angry Beavers up in E?

No, you going to play them or they jerks?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

No, you going to play them or they jerks?

That's who we played last night. They have a couple of cockgobblers on their team who think it's OK to whack our goalie on his neck after the whistle blows. They also forgot they were playing hockey and decided that they were in a diving competition. I've never seen so many flagrant diving acts and we were getting the penalties!

Example: One of them was in our goalie's crease, elbowing him subtly, our goalie goes and pushes him out of the crease and the dude does a full on flop. Our goalie gets a roughing penalty.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

trilljester posted:

That's who we played last night. They have a couple of cockgobblers on their team who think it's OK to whack our goalie on his neck after the whistle blows. They also forgot they were playing hockey and decided that they were in a diving competition. I've never seen so many flagrant diving acts and we were getting the penalties!

Example: One of them was in our goalie's crease, elbowing him subtly, our goalie goes and pushes him out of the crease and the dude does a full on flop. Our goalie gets a roughing penalty.

Haha goalie roughing. Sounds like a lovely call. If Timmy Thomas can shove a Sedin and not get a call, your guy shouldn't either.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OK, so for the first time in my life, I can afford to do anything I want to. I immediately thought "I'm going to eventually play hockey!"

This raises two issues:

1) I can barely skate. I used to be able to, but that was half my life ago and this body is not balanced the same as that one was. I can todder around and fall over but sometimes I'll be do just fine. I went skating a few times last spring and got progressively more accustomed to it.
2) I'm in terrible shape. I need to do something about that in general, especially closing in on 30.

Now, I'm not expecting to be able to head on down to the hockey store like that scene in the Mighty Ducks and fall down putting on pants. I'd like to start myself on a path that, say, next year I could make a feeble effort at the hockey. Which brings me to my questions.

I want to get a pair of skates. I have sorta weak ankles and have a tendency to walk on the outside of my feet. Is there anything I should look out for with skates? Like stiffer or something?

And although I'm going to start working out in general, is there anything I should keep in mind if I want to start skating a few times a week while I start trying to live the dreams of 8 year old me?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Sash! posted:

I want to get a pair of skates. I have sorta weak ankles and have a tendency to walk on the outside of my feet. Is there anything I should look out for with skates? Like stiffer or something?

And although I'm going to start working out in general, is there anything I should keep in mind if I want to start skating a few times a week while I start trying to live the dreams of 8 year old me?

First off, good for you, that's awesome. I don't know how old you are but I play with guys who started playing in their mid-40s so if they can do it so can you.

regarding skates: skates generally get stiffer as they get more expensive so if you want super stiff skates you'll have to pay for it. That said, I think the most important thing for you will be to make sure you get skates that fit, so you're not rattling around inside them, and tie them tightly at the ankles.

As far as learning to skate: sign up for a learn to skate class. It'll probably be pretty cheap and you'd be surprised how many adults take them. A general (not hockey themed) class is fine to start but if you mention to your instructor that you want to plat hockey they might be able to help you a little more.

Also, wear pads when you're learning. Falling really really hurts without pads and you'll be falling a lot. Not being afraid of getting hurt will help you push your abilities.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Thufir posted:

As far as learning to skate: sign up for a learn to skate class. It'll probably be pretty cheap and you'd be surprised how many adults take them. A general (not hockey themed) class is fine to start but if you mention to your instructor that you want to plat hockey they might be able to help you a little more.

From the sounds of it you are in a similar boat as I was and I just want to second this. It was only like $150 or so dollars for a 10 week Adult 1 Skate semester and 10 open skate sessions package of which there was always a skate before or after class time. It was a huge help having someone there to remind me to bend my knees, etc.

It was supposed to be general and figure skating but it turned out our instructor used to coach and still teaches tot hockey and was able to help us out a bunch and work in stuff like hockey stops that wouldn't have normally been in the lesson plan. He even let the few of us there for hockey bring sticks the last few weeks and cordoned us off from the figure crew and ran us through the same drills as the earlier weeks but with pucks and passing. :3:

quote:

Also, wear pads when you're learning. Falling really really hurts without pads and you'll be falling a lot. Not being afraid of getting hurt will help you push your abilities.
Also seconding this. I started wearing shinguards and elbow pads at a minimum after a week or two and it was way easier for me to focus on actually skating when I wasn't so scared of falling down all night. It was easy to find some old model stuff for like 15 and 20 dollars. Our adult class was tiny, maybe 6 or 7 people and I was easily the least skilled so it was kind of daunting. People working on crossovers and and spins and poo poo (including the tots 20 feet away!) while I could only stop by hitting a wall or the ice but really once I got out there it was so fun I stopped caring about falling all over myself fast. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Check every rink in your region for an adult learn to play. I wish I had done this 9 months ago when I was at the same point you are now, because it would have saved me a lot of time.. back in February I got my skates, puttered around at open skate, took a general purpose beginning skating class, and really got nowhere.

Started up in a learn to play in September, and I've improved more since then than I did in the previous 7 months. The guys that teach these things know their poo poo, can instantly spot what you're doing wrong, and give awesome advice on how to get over the hump. Most of the dudes who show up at these things are in their 40's and just looking for some ice time, so they should be fun to hang out with too.

Just be aware you're looking at a $300-$400 investment on a full set of gear, and ideally another $300 for your skates. It's a steep entry price but you only have to do it once.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sash! posted:

OK, so for the first time in my life, I can afford to do anything I want to. I immediately thought "I'm going to eventually play hockey!"

This raises two issues:

1) I can barely skate. I used to be able to, but that was half my life ago and this body is not balanced the same as that one was. I can todder around and fall over but sometimes I'll be do just fine. I went skating a few times last spring and got progressively more accustomed to it.
2) I'm in terrible shape. I need to do something about that in general, especially closing in on 30.

Now, I'm not expecting to be able to head on down to the hockey store like that scene in the Mighty Ducks and fall down putting on pants. I'd like to start myself on a path that, say, next year I could make a feeble effort at the hockey. Which brings me to my questions.

How out of shape is "terrible" shape? I'd suggest taking it very slow if you're ridiculously overweight or something when it comes to skating. As it would be very easy to injure yourself if you're not at all comfortable skating and you have a lot of weight that could lead to you twisting/spraining/tearing something before the fun even begins. Starting doing squats at the gym. Do lunges. And I'd say just run/bike to get your cardio levels up. The first few times you skate your lower back is going to hurt a lot. Take it easy and don't overwork yourself. If you're just trying to get back in the saddle of being active/getting in shape you don't want to overextend yourself by visiting the gym + skating + whatever. Just general advice but the last thing you want to do is burn yourself out on trying to learn to play hockey before you even get started.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Played my second hockey game. It was fun again. We got roasted 5-0 against a team that wasn't very good either. Coincidentally I was a 0 for +/- so I didn't feel too bad, we hung our goalie out to dry though.

How am I supposed to be balancing myself when I shoot?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alizee posted:

How am I supposed to be balancing myself when I shoot?

The basics:

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-take-a-slap-shot

I'm completely terrible at them because my strength is still poo poo and I use a wood stick.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

The basics:

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-take-a-slap-shot

I'm completely terrible at them because my strength is still poo poo and I use a wood stick.

Slap shots are 99% leg strength and weight transfer. If you have the technique down you dont need much strength.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

D C posted:

Slap shots are 99% leg strength and weight transfer. If you have the technique down you dont need much strength.

Yes a common misconception is to try to generate flex and power using just your arms for every type of shot in hockey (backhand is a bit of an exception)

Its a good practice to get the motion of the shot down so its comfortable and THEN try to add more power to it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

why is anyone recommending that a guy who is in his second game start learning how to take slapshots?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

sellouts posted:

why is anyone recommending that a guy who is in his second game start learning how to take slapshots?

Hey pal we ain't some drat euro sissies with sick wristers from the slot. Some dudes just need to drop bombs from the point to let the other team know how it is.

On another hand, for the 12 years I have played, I have always been the number one or two scorer on the team... not once have did I tally a goal a slap shot. Not even in practice.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU

Notice how bent his forward leg is? THat is what is generating most of the shots velocity. It allows you to essentially lean into/onto the stick which is what creates the flex of the stick (that and Phil uses a 77 flex).

Also notice that you can draw a vertical line from the skate to his helmet and it essentially bi-sects his body. This is where the balance comes into play, he is perfectly balanced through the shot.

Another thing to notice is how he rolls his wrist. This is what gives the puck accuracy, lift, and spin which allows the puck to "saucer" through the air.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

WouldDesk posted:

On another hand, for the 12 years I have played, I have always been the number one or two scorer on the team... not once have did I tally a goal a slap shot. Not even in practice.

This is me exactly.

Alizee, slapshots are silly for new skaters. They require the most time and coordinated effort, which as a new skater you won't have as people will be coming towards you quickly. They also have the biggest risk for turnover and odd man rushes.

Learn how to take wrist shots, elevating the puck WHEN YOU WANT TO ONLY, then work up to snapshots, then you can learn how to take slapshots.

Lots of goals get scored along the bottom of the ice as well, don't underestimate the value in a hard, ice level shot put where you want it to go.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thanks guys for the tips. It sucks cause when I play in my ball hockey league I can snipe corners and poo poo and it's awesome. Then I get to ice and I practically fall over while trying to take a wrister =P

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Alizee posted:

Thanks guys for the tips. It sucks cause when I play in my ball hockey league I can snipe corners and poo poo and it's awesome. Then I get to ice and I practically fall over while trying to take a wrister =P

what flex of stick are you using?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

67 flex is for real men :smug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I thought you just used your hand? :thurman:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

soggybagel posted:

How out of shape is "terrible" shape?

I've got the skinny guy with a gut thing going on. If I went out skating right now, if I didn't fall down and got my confidence up, I could probably weave around the little kids for maybe a half hour before I would need to sit down for a minute. But I'd be pouring sweat, although I could chalk that up to wearing a full set of Underarmor. Then I crash into the board because I can't stop.

The expense doesn't really faze me at all. I've always wanted to be a pilot, own a motorcycle, and play hockey. This is easily the cheapest of the three. By entire decimal places.

Although maybe I'm starting down the path to destroying my other knee, like skiing did to the right one.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Sash! posted:

I've got the skinny guy with a gut thing going on. If I went out skating right now, if I didn't fall down and got my confidence up, I could probably weave around the little kids for maybe a half hour before I would need to sit down for a minute. But I'd be pouring sweat, although I could chalk that up to wearing a full set of Underarmor. Then I crash into the board because I can't stop.

The expense doesn't really faze me at all. I've always wanted to be a pilot, own a motorcycle, and play hockey. This is easily the cheapest of the three. By entire decimal places.

Although maybe I'm starting down the path to destroying my other knee, like skiing did to the right one.

Welp, two things will turn you into an alcoholic. Recreational hockey and flight training. Not sure on the bike thing. They are also the best things on earth :):respek::smug:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

67 flex is for real men :smug:

Honestly, correct. It's what I use and I've played for 20 years. I'd bet 80% of beer league guys use way to stiff flexed sticks.

Most of the best snipers in the NHL use 90 and below, and they are bigger and better than all of us.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And they don't have to pay for a new stick when they break it every 2-3 games.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

sellouts posted:

And they don't have to pay for a new stick when they break it every 2-3 shifts.

More like this. New batch for every game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

I thought you just used your hand? :thurman:

Good point :golfclap:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I can use 100 flex-ish sticks for a season or two, 87flex-ish sticks I wear out after a few months.

I never break sticks though It's kinda strange, maybe I'm just lucky? I replace sticks because I wear them out or the blades separate, but I can probably count on one hand how many sticks I've snapped since I started playing.

Also my dad started me out when I was 7 with a cut down Senior Easton aluminum, talk about a girder.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

zinc68 posted:

what flex of stick are you using?

I guess it's "regular flex 85".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
During the lockout I got my hands on a pro-return Inno shaft destined for Ed Jovanovski. I probably would have had to have packed on 30 lbs to get any appreciable flex out of it. Not great for wrist shots, but it lasted about five years.