Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Former Human posted:

Best quote from the other day:

Nick: "The Eagles really need to get back the Michael Vick of old."

Artie: "That's bad news for dogs."

Both guys are funny and work well together but I feel like there isn't a real broadcaster in the room, someone who can move the show along. Sometimes they get stuck on a topic that isn't working but they keep on it until the next commercial break. Maybe they will get more comfortable in the future.

They also need someone with some engineering ability. I didn't understand a word Jay Glazier said and the sportswriter/Hateman broccoli conversation is twice as boring when you have to strain to understand it. Howard would have demanded they use a hardwired phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah Stephen A. Smith called in about the NBA negotiations on a cell phone and the whole second half of his conversation was a garbled mess but they didn't bother to end it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Artie's Harry Caray impression had me laughing so god drat hard. And then that old radio commentator for the Giants.

That Kim Kardashian interview was absolutely horrid

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wait, Artie and DiPaolo interviewed Kim Kardashian? What the gently caress?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Listening to Nick and Artie from wednesday, first hour and there are already two or more Stern show mentions directed at Artie...could be more in case I missed them.

I hope Artie knows how much we all miss him. And I'm psyched that he is doing this show even though I don't really care about professional sports.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

AltronHGX posted:

Wait, Artie and DiPaolo interviewed Kim Kardashian? What the gently caress?

Nah they played her interview from Jay Leno and goofed on it.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Hopefully the production value of The Nick and Artie show pick up once Directv
starts to broadcast it like they do with Dan Patrick. You will probably get one or 2 more voices in the studio and the quality will go up because it will also be on TV.

Quick plug for The Dan Patrick show. Its waaaaaaaaay more sports oriented, but Dan's voice is easy to listen to in the morning, he gets good guests and his crew is entertaining.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
From earlier this week:

Artie: "Did you hear about the woman who ran a marathon then gave birth to a child?"

Nick: "Yea that's nothing. I once ran a 10k holding in a poo poo."

Also am I the only one who has their streaming lag out like non stop?

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 14, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Former Human posted:

Nah they played her interview from Jay Leno and goofed on it.

Woah, woah, woah, stop the clock.

They talk about non sports stuff?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Woah, woah, woah, stop the clock.

If this post is serious, they talk about non-sports stuff almost exclusively after the first couple shows. They don't know enough sports to really do a sports show.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

http://danpatrick.directv.com.edgesuite.net/NickArtie/dwarf-tossing.mp3

_minty
Feb 22, 2007
~
There's a whole selection of short bits now on the Nick and Artie website, they're really good if you need convincing. The foghorn leghorn and the Kenyon Martin bits are absolutely hilarious. This was the first week in so long that I didn't bother to completely listen to Stern. I'll probably catch up over the weekend (it's already the freaking weekend with 3 shows, jesus) but it's kind of frustrating and upsetting to listen to such a stale show.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Artie is on Letterman tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRBcd4uSaoE&feature=player_embedded

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm listening to the 5-10-07 show and they're playing "I'm a Gay Papa" about a million times. I had just finally gotten that goddamn song out of my head from 4 years ago. :argh:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Artie doing Foghorn Leghorn is loving awesome. I missed Artie's insane laugh.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Peter North posted:

If this post is serious, they talk about non-sports stuff almost exclusively after the first couple shows. They don't know enough sports to really do a sports show.

Yeah, I checked out the first two episodes, great stuff! I'm loving it!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Millstone posted:

Artie is on Letterman tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRBcd4uSaoE&feature=player_embedded

What did the guy hand him at the end?

I'll stay up to watch this. I just wonder if he's going to say anything in depth about the Stern Show and his recovery?

If he gives Letterman an exclusive Howard is going to be fuming.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Maybe in private, but not on the air... he'll just ignore it.

Stern had his chance at an exclusive and passed. As self centered as he is, he has to know that someone else would get it.

I hope Lange pulls no punches when it comes to Stern. Not that Stern did anything bad to Artie, but I'm just sick of the kid gloves people treat Howard with. Go get em, baby gorilla!

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Bonzo posted:

What did the guy hand him at the end?

I'll stay up to watch this. I just wonder if he's going to say anything in depth about the Stern Show and his recovery?

From what Artie said on the show last night, it didn't seem that he talked about anything we haven't already heard. I'm going to watch, so we'll see.

Speaking of last nights show, was it just the fact that I was slightly high that made the Jaws bit so god drat funny? I was dying.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hope Lange pulls no punches when it comes to Stern. Not that Stern did anything bad to Artie, but I'm just sick of the kid gloves people treat Howard with. Go get em, baby gorilla!

I'd be really surprised to hear that. I dunno if Artie has ill will toward Howard but I can't imagine he's not grateful to him for the exposure he got on Howard's show. Even if he does resent Howard (and I think he'd have reason to) he owes a lot of his wealth and success to him, so out of respect for that I imagine he'd always say polite things about him.

Maybe in 10 years he'll write a book about how landing his dream job on The Howard Stern Show was actually a nightmare because they were all assholes and nutjobs, so he became depressed and did tons of drugs while they all looked the other way, until it got so bad that he wanted to kill himself. Here's hoping.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

porkfriedrice posted:

Speaking of last nights show, was it just the fact that I was slightly high that made the Jaws bit so god drat funny? I was dying.

Pretty much any instance where Artie quotes movies anything is hilarious and that was no exception.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Artie was a fan before he became a comic. He'll never turn his back on Howard on the surface no matter what he may or may not believe deep down.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sand Monster posted:

Pretty much any instance where Artie quotes movies anything is hilarious and that was no exception.

I love when he would go on those long rear end quotes from movies. I wanna watch movies with Artie, get wasted with Sal and get tucked into a bed at night by Richard in an elf suit.

Oh and I guess something about Howard. Whatever.

edit: I actually think I wouldn't like to meet Howard, but would love to tour the place when the rest of the staff is there. Meeting Howard just sounds horrible. He doesn't want to see you or be with you, he probably hates you, thinks you are covered in filth and are stupid.

Everyone else seems like they would be like "Hey, cool a fan!"

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Ya, Artie sounds healthy enough where he realizes he should have no hate for Howard. He may have some issues with how Sirius handled him tho.

He may not ever talk bad about Howard, but I think eventually we will start to get little digs at Artie from Howard. Things like talking about his radio show but doing his usual "what is that? Is it an internet thing? Podcast? I dont know. I guess he has some listeners"
Just wait, it will happen.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone more talented than I able to scrape the Artie & Nick page and turn it to an xml file so I can podcast it?

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Artie should have promoted the radio show more. At least mention who Nick is and that it's not just about sports.

edit: On Letterman, I mean.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Their website has the show download up faster now, so you can listen to it and whatever episode from 2007 that you listen to instead of the live show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Here is Artie from last night in case anyone missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk3_NF7JxB4

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
The Nick and Artie show is amazing, and this is coming from someone who hates sports talk. Can't even stand Ferrell. DiPalo gets annoying as hell with his "I'm a capitalist, those liberals am I right?" but Artie is pretty good about ribbing on him and calling him out on it.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

Holy Calamity! posted:

The Nick and Artie show is amazing, and this is coming from someone who hates sports talk. Can't even stand Ferrell. DiPalo gets annoying as hell with his "I'm a capitalist, those liberals am I right?" but Artie is pretty good about ribbing on him and calling him out on it.

I gotta agree with this. I've listened to a couple hours and it's already better than what the Stern show has become at this point. You just have to be able to stomach Nick's smug conservative bullshit.

Stern has never really recovered from Artie leaving the show - and maybe it never will - but this is a decent alternative for now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, Stern just can't stop bitching about negative feedback on Twitter... Yes, complaining about internet jerks in 2011. Stunning.

I wonder if old Howard would have just brushed it off... I mean, in the days before call screening, he used to do battle on the phone with a non-stop stream of nasty callers every day. Now he just seems like a brittle, out of touch old man. :smith:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Now he just seems like a brittle, out of touch old man. :smith:

Seems like, or is?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Well I just canceled my Sirius account. I was looking at my bank statement today and saw the $48 fee and thought about it for a few minutes.
I realized I was basically paying $50 a month to listen to about 3 hours a week of Stern and some assorted radio in between.
I am not in the car as much as I use to be and while I am at work I listen to podcasts, last nights Nick and Artie show and Spotify.
I really couldnt justify paying for the service anymore.
Plus, obviously there are other ways to listen to the Stern show.

It was fairly painless to cancel. Just dont engage the people in any discussion about the service or why you are canceling. I just kept telling her I didnt want the service anymore and she finally got the point and canceled it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I am in the car a ton, an hour each way to work. That said, I listen to music as much as Howard at this point. I have XM so perhaps I will just get rid of Best Of...honestly, this show sucks and I am listening out of habit at this point.

And really, I have been listening to O&A a lot more, since they come with the Sirius service.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo, Stern just can't stop bitching about negative feedback on Twitter... Yes, complaining about internet jerks in 2011. Stunning.

I wonder if old Howard would have just brushed it off... I mean, in the days before call screening, he used to do battle on the phone with a non-stop stream of nasty callers every day. Now he just seems like a brittle, out of touch old man. :smith:

It fits Howards M.O to be insane about what people think of him. He can't stand that and doesn't react to it well.

Nick and Artie show is awesome. It's like they don't even talk about sports. It isn't a sports show. It is Artie talking and that owns. Listen to it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

It fits Howards M.O to be insane about what people think of him. He can't stand that and doesn't react to it well.

Nick and Artie show is awesome. It's like they don't even talk about sports. It isn't a sports show. It is Artie talking and that owns. Listen to it.

Yep, that's what I've been doing. Finally found a new show to listen to after I cancelled my Sirius sub after Artie left.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

As much as I disagree with Nick's stupid conservative ideology, he does say some funny poo poo stemming from it. Plus Artie gets to take jabs at him for it too.

The only issue is that all the gambling talk might get me started.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there any way to listen to this Nick and Artie show through a podcast catching program like DoggCatcher (and android program)?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Shes Not Impressed posted:

As much as I disagree with Nick's stupid conservative ideology, he does say some funny poo poo stemming from it. Plus Artie gets to take jabs at him for it too.

The only issue is that all the gambling talk might get me started.

I don't like Nick too much myself, he seems like he is always stuck on the level of being funny, but not usually funny. He goes for a lot of simple/easy stuff, but Artie is usually there to kick it off and if things get slow or Artie slips into a sugar low Nick can push the show along. But I'd never even bother if it was just Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Without once listening to their show, I already know that Artie needs someone to play off of... But yeah. Gonna start listening and give it a try.

That metaphor about the abused wife is really hitting home. :(

I've been a Stern fan for so long that it is hard to admit that the show is finally over. Specially when people have been wrongly proclaiming it's death and/or shark-jumping for years.

Seriously, there was a 10 year plus period of my life where it was unquestionable that if I ever got on live TV, "Bobabooey" would have been the first thing out of my mouth. Distant memories at this point.

I think I'll still keep Sirius XM, I like the music for longer trips, and it's nice to have an NPR station that doesn't sodomize the national programming to cram in pledge drives.