Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Guesticles posted:

I think you might be right. Man, did my screw this up that badly?

Edit: Do you have PMs? I'm going to confirm, but I have a feeling you'll be getting :10bux:
Edit 2: Yeah, reading about the sequels, they mention goblins abducting children. I'm going to see if I can track it down in a library this weekend.

Cool, I hope it's the ones, I love when I get these right. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Frantick posted:

Cool, I hope it's the ones, I love when I get these right. :)

No luck tracking it down just yet, but I'm very sure this is it. How do you want your bounty?

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Oh gosh, I don't need anything ... it's the thrill of the hunt, my dear.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
Does anybody know of a short story, probably science fiction, where it is told from the perspective of a young boy who is quarantined during a plague or something. All he knows is what he overhears from nurses, they call him "patient zero" but he doesn't really understand what that is. I remember it was a very sad story.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm trying to find the name of a series of young adult fantasy novels, but I have pretty few details to work with. The series had a group of people, I think they were children or otherwise younger-than-normal for this type of story, searching for a series of artifacts, broken down to one per book. The artifacts all had some kind of gem or jewel in them (or maybe they just were the gems). Ruby, sapphire, etc. I remember one was a Lapiz Lazuli, specifically because this was the first time I'd ever heard of that.

The only other detail I can remember is that in one of the early books in the series, possibly the first one, two of the main characters created a "secret language" to send notes to each other that others couldn't read. The code consisted of removing all the spaces from the normal, english message, adding "el" randomly around, and then re-adding spaces in random places. The reader was presented with several of these encoded messages through the course of the series, and expected to translate it themself because the characters just went on from that point knowing what it said.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a series of young adult fantasy novels, but I have pretty few details to work with. The series had a group of people, I think they were children or otherwise younger-than-normal for this type of story, searching for a series of artifacts, broken down to one per book. The artifacts all had some kind of gem or jewel in them (or maybe they just were the gems). Ruby, sapphire, etc. I remember one was a Lapiz Lazuli, specifically because this was the first time I'd ever heard of that.

The only other detail I can remember is that in one of the early books in the series, possibly the first one, two of the main characters created a "secret language" to send notes to each other that others couldn't read. The code consisted of removing all the spaces from the normal, english message, adding "el" randomly around, and then re-adding spaces in random places. The reader was presented with several of these encoded messages through the course of the series, and expected to translate it themself because the characters just went on from that point knowing what it said.
I'm almost positive this is Deltora Quest. I'm so glad you asked about this, I loved those books as a kid but had totally forgotten about them until you posted this and it all came flooding back.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm almost positive this is Deltora Quest. I'm so glad you asked about this, I loved those books as a kid but had totally forgotten about them until you posted this and it all came flooding back.

This is ringing bells for me, yes. Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Okay- fantasy trilogy that I read in the early 90s featuring a real badass dude who ends up with a ridiculously gorgeous woman. Good so far, huh? The only thing I remember for certain is that in the second or third book dude has somehow obtained a castle and has a chalice (or two) that never runs out of wine/mead/whatever. I think either he gets poisoned and his woman has to save him or they both get poisoned and their daughter has to save them. The cover of one of the books (third, I believe) featured a very attractive black-haired woman standing in a river and holding a rather large and ornate sword.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bookish posted:

Does anybody know of a short story, probably science fiction, where it is told from the perspective of a young boy who is quarantined during a plague or something. All he knows is what he overhears from nurses, they call him "patient zero" but he doesn't really understand what that is. I remember it was a very sad story.

Bizarrely enough, it's called Patient Zero. Author is Tananarive Due, it's been collected in two different 2001 retrospective collections, "The Years Best Science Fiction, 18th Annual Collection" edited by Gardner Dozois and "Years Best Science Fiction 6" edited by David G Hartwell.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Fatkraken posted:

Bizarrely enough, it's called Patient Zero. Author is Tananarive Due, it's been collected in two different 2001 retrospective collections, "The Years Best Science Fiction, 18th Annual Collection" edited by Gardner Dozois and "Years Best Science Fiction 6" edited by David G Hartwell.

Or, you can just read it online at Lightspeed Magazine: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/patient-zero/

It's actually a pretty touching story, as I remember it, if you don't mind the odd narrative style.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Fatkraken posted:

:blush: Well that makes sense. Thanks!!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

SolarFire2 posted:

Okay. Sci Fi novel that I read in fourth grade or so, but it was probably written in the seventies. My parents were big fans of Niven, but I don't think it's one of his.

I remember it started out with a riot on a college campus, which the main character is observing but not actively participating in. What i remember definitely is that the riot is put down with some sort of anti-friction agent called Instant Banana Peel.

Even though he wasn't involved in the riot, the main character is sent off to some penal colony, meets a girl he 'marries' escapes and lives on the lam for a while.. At one point his pregnant wife is shot, but the baby is unharmed.

I really just wanna know what this book was, thanks.

This is Prince of Mercenaries by Jerry Pournelle. The character you remember is not the main character, he's a secondary character who has a B-story (his exile and life on the prison planet Tanith) that intersects with the main character's at the end of the book.

OlafSkrelnik
Mar 24, 2004
Hoping someone in here can work their magic and identify a book based on a brief snippet that my girlfriend gave of me of a book she loved to read as a kid:

I have always loved books about adventure. I've been looking for this one for years that I can't remember the title of. It was about a little boy who was staying in the guest room of a great aunt or something and he dreamed that a painting of a meadow on the wall opened up and let him in. In the meadow he's the size of a bug and meets all these interesting insects.

Icehawk_OS
Aug 3, 2009
I posted this one a while back but didn't get a response, hoping someone may have an idea today:

Sci-fi story about soldiers in training onboard a spaceship to their destination. The training is VR based, if I remember right there was real life feedback (either physical or mental pain?) and I want to say they may have used tanks or fought a tank in a battle. I also think some/lots of the trainees may have died in training but it's all hazy to me. I would have read this in the late 80s most likely to help give some vintage.

I also think the soldiers may have called each other zombies.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I'm trying to remember the title of a book I saw a few times over the last couple years.
* From the cover blurb, it seemed to be about a kid in a dysfunctional family who had some kind of escape into a secondary world
* I think it was either by a Japanese author or a translation of a Japanese book (no anime)
* It was trade paperback, published sometime within the last five years

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fritz posted:

I'm trying to remember the title of a book I saw a few times over the last couple years.
* From the cover blurb, it seemed to be about a kid in a dysfunctional family who had some kind of escape into a secondary world
* I think it was either by a Japanese author or a translation of a Japanese book (no anime)
Hiromi Goto's Half World? (She's Japanese-Canadian and writes in English, if that makes a difference.)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Carbuncle posted:

Hiromi Goto's Half World? (She's Japanese-Canadian and writes in English, if that makes a difference.)

Nope :(

Also this was shelved in the regular sf/f section.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I read this novel in the early nineties, science fiction, very distant future, the main character was an architect of planets and frequently changed genders having both male and female lovers. That's all I remember. Hoping it rings a bell with someone.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wormil posted:

I read this novel in the early nineties, science fiction, very distant future, the main character was an architect of planets and frequently changed genders having both male and female lovers. That's all I remember. Hoping it rings a bell with someone.

Sounds very Culture, so likely Iain M Banks (don't forget the "M"). Could be Consider Phleabas though it;s a long time since I read that one.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Fatkraken posted:

Sounds very Culture, so likely Iain M Banks (don't forget the "M"). Could be Consider Phleabas though it;s a long time since I read that one.

It's not Consider Phlebas - the main character is a shape-changing assassin. But in Banks' The Player of Games the main character is, well, a player of games, but his girlfriend is an environmental architect (they don't live on a planet, they live on a ring-shaped orbital structure) who changes sex to male and then back to female while the main character is away.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

fritz posted:

Probably Brave Story.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

shadok posted:

It's not Consider Phlebas - the main character is a shape-changing assassin. But in Banks' The Player of Games the main character is, well, a player of games, but his girlfriend is an environmental architect (they don't live on a planet, they live on a ring-shaped orbital structure) who changes sex to male and then back to female while the main character is away.

There are some strong similarities, I'll check it out at the library and see. I guess it would help if I could remember anything about the actual plot but all I remember is the book was very challenging to my beliefs at the time.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
This is a kid's book I used to have in the 80's. A chicken wants to go out and buy jam (or maybe butter I can't remember) so she can have toast, but each day she goes out, a new catastrophe happens. I do remember her ending up with a broken leg at one point, also possibly being in a traffic jam?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Moms Stuffing posted:

This is a kid's book I used to have in the 80's. A chicken wants to go out and buy jam (or maybe butter I can't remember) so she can have toast, but each day she goes out, a new catastrophe happens. I do remember her ending up with a broken leg at one point, also possibly being in a traffic jam?

Was the Chicken wanting to bake bread? If so, I know of this book (not the title though, but I think I can find it)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

Probably Brave Story.

BINGO

thanks!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Guesticles posted:

Was the Chicken wanting to bake bread? If so, I know of this book (not the title though, but I think I can find it)

Maybe!!! That sounds pretty familiar!

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Little Red Hen?

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
No that's definitely not it. In this book the chicken wants to go out to get something so she can eat toast and jam, but each day she tries to go out to the store, something happens to stop her.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Darn. I looked for anything in Loganberry with "chicken" in the title/description and got nothing. Sorry :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Did you try looking under "hen" too? I had that thought but I don't want to duplicate your effort.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
...no. God drat I'm dumb. Thanks, I will look under "hen" now haha.

EDIT: gently caress i am never going to be able to find this book :(

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 15, 2011

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
I'm trying to find a book I used to love, but can't remember the title of. From what I recall, there's a young woman (maybe in the service of Queen Elizabeth I) who gets sent to a manor somewhere. There's a handsome young man there whose sister was lost down a well or stolen by fairies.

The girl ends up going down the well and there are fairies down there that hold her captive or something. She rescues the sister and marries the young man and everyone is happy.

I remember the girl feeling this crushing, frightening sensation when she's down the well that the fairies called "the weight."

Does anyone have any idea? It's definitely in the young adult category, if that helps at all.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hydronium posted:

I'm trying to find a book I used to love, but can't remember the title of. From what I recall, there's a young woman (maybe in the service of Queen Elizabeth I) who gets sent to a manor somewhere. There's a handsome young man there whose sister was lost down a well or stolen by fairies.

The girl ends up going down the well and there are fairies down there that hold her captive or something. She rescues the sister and marries the young man and everyone is happy.

I remember the girl feeling this crushing, frightening sensation when she's down the well that the fairies called "the weight."

Does anyone have any idea? It's definitely in the young adult category, if that helps at all.
Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Hydronium posted:

This book sounds disturbingly familiar to me, I'll have to go try to read it. So glad someone knew what it was!

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008

Carbuncle posted:

Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope.

That's it, thanks!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AreYouStillThere posted:

This book sounds disturbingly familiar to me, I'll have to go try to read it. So glad someone knew what it was!
It's good, and thankfully free of the godawful fae/faerie/phaeaeaeaeireee crap that's so inescapable these days.

Glad to help, Hydronium!

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
There's this sci-fi story I read in an anthology a while ago that I want to track down again. Can't remember the author, but the premise was pretty interesting and creepy.

Basically there's this planet where the dominant lifeform is this kind of red weed that infects other creatures, causing red weed to grow from their eye sockets, adding them to some sort of hive-mind. The book starts with a earth based space ship arriving for some reason or other, that basically has to nuke a large swathe of ground into oblivion to create a safe landing zone in order to minimize the risk of the crew getting infected.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A kids' SF/fantasy book I read in the early 90s, in the UK. The main character was a boy living in a mountain village in what appeared to be a medieval tech-level world. As the book went on, there were hints that something was weird with the setting. The whole world seemed to be small villages in a mountain range, and no-one knew what lay outside them. In the villages there were objects from the modern era, but no-one knew what they were or how they worked. (I particularly remembering a description of a strange glass box that was clearly a tv set.) Near the end of the book a passenger plane crashes near his village, with everyone thinking it to be a dragon. The boy goes to the crash site and rescues a girl from the plane.

It's been so long since I read it that I might be misremembering some of this. I think it was the first book in a series, but again I'm not really sure. I do remember younger me really wanting to know what happened next, and nearly 20 years later it's still bugging me. Any help would be appreciated.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Apraxin posted:

A kids' SF/fantasy book I read in the early 90s, in the UK. The main character was a boy living in a mountain village in what appeared to be a medieval tech-level world. As the book went on, there were hints that something was weird with the setting. The whole world seemed to be small villages in a mountain range, and no-one knew what lay outside them. In the villages there were objects from the modern era, but no-one knew what they were or how they worked. (I particularly remembering a description of a strange glass box that was clearly a tv set.) Near the end of the book a passenger plane crashes near his village, with everyone thinking it to be a dragon. The boy goes to the crash site and rescues a girl from the plane.

It's been so long since I read it that I might be misremembering some of this. I think it was the first book in a series, but again I'm not really sure. I do remember younger me really wanting to know what happened next, and nearly 20 years later it's still bugging me. Any help would be appreciated.
Jet Smoke and Dragon Fire, by Charles Ashton. First in a - gasp! - trilogy.

vvv No prob! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Carbuncle posted:

Jet Smoke and Dragon Fire, by Charles Ashton. First in a - gasp! - trilogy.
Holy poo poo that was quick. Thank you so much!